Amber Heard vs Johnny Depp | Depp wins on all 3 counts

That's the point. Every reaction is different. No one is saying you can't get bruising and swelling.
Oh I’m sure you can have a very gentle break, but that aint the claim here. Does anyone have experience of a violent headbutt causing an invisible broken nose?

An accidental coming together could surely cause it, but how would that be proof of a violent headbutt?

I’m trying to educate myself here.

MichaelRed

Based on what? Are you a doctor? Do you know the exact force of the headbutt? It's super weird that you can look at the pictures and claim this with 100% certainty.
No. I'm a physio though & my partner is a doctor. You don't need a picture to tell you that a broken nose from being headbutted will absolutely, unquestionably result in both swelling and bruising. Anyone claiming otherwise is taking out their rear.

Denis79

Oh I’m sure you can have a very gentle break, but that aint the claim here. Does anyone have experience of a violent headbutt causing an invisible broken nose?

An accidental coming together could surely cause it, but how would that be proof of a violent headbutt?

I’m trying to educate myself here.
:lol:

MichaelRed

No one has claimed dear Michael is a lunatic for suggesting that it's likely, so you don't have to keep struggling unless you want to.
Yea, you said unhinged, meaning mentally unstable & deranged. That's much better & so very different to lunacy. /s

MichaelRed

How do we actually know she broke her nose anyway? Is that a doctor diagnosis or just her claiming it?
Oh she absolutely didn't break her nose. As is clear in her pictures & next day TV appearances & witness statements from her hair stylist & make-up artist. Of course there's also no medical record and as with everything, it's just her claiming it. I will concede you can definitely have no swelling or bruising if the headbutt and broken nose were imaginary.

Denis79

No. I'm a physio though & my partner is a doctor. You don't need a picture to tell you that a broken nose from being headbutted will absolutely, unquestionably result in both swelling and bruising. Anyone claiming otherwise is taking out their rear.
How about her lying about it being broken? Seems more likely to me? I do think he headbutted her honestly, but she's lying about how bad it was to make him look worse. She seems to lie a lot so this is plausible.

MichaelRed

It's more him looking at pictures of her injuries and saying with utmost certainty that she couldn't have possibly broken her nose. Your case was a full on headbutt. Here, Depp is claiming it was an accidental coming together so it's likely there wasn't much force to begin with. I fell flat on my face but the bruising was barely visible. Every case will be different.
See, here's where you're probably misunderstanding me. I'm discussing the validity of her version of events where she claims it was a forceful, deliberate, him pulling his head back and flying forward with everything he's got.

NotThatSoph

Yea, you said unhinged, meaning mentally unstable & deranged. That's much better & so very different to lunacy. /s
I meant it more in the "divorced from reality" kind of way, but in any case you're reading that sentence wrong. It doesn't say that no has called you a lunatic.

MichaelRed

How about her lying about it being broken? Seems more likely to me? I do think he headbutted her honestly, but she's lying about how bad it was to make him look worse. She seems to lie a lot so this is plausible.
I think he hit her with his head, in the UK trial he said it was a clash of heads where he hit her forehead & that would be much less likely to show any damage and it also wouldn't cause a break unless he literally caved her skull in. I think he probably did hit her forehead like he says but I'm not so sure I believe it was accidental.

MichaelRed

I meant it more in the "divorced from reality" kind of way, but in any case you're reading that sentence wrong. It doesn't say that no has called you a lunatic.
I see, still a lunatic then. Well if you want to put forward a rational argument at any point then please feel free to do so.

Denis79

The meltdows if depp loses this will be epic.
There's no way he wins it. He might have if the trial was about proving she is worse than him. Either way it's very entertaining in a time when everything else is shit.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
There's no way he wins it. He might have if the trial was about proving she is worse than him. Either way it's very entertaining in a time when everything else is shit.
I haven't watched a single minute of this trial because I'm not comfortable with the idea of making people's personal suffering a matter of entertainment, but I've followed some reactions here and on social media, and the way some people are almost religiously committed to defending depp is bound to cause some of them to lose the plot. That's when I'll be entertained.

MichaelRed

I haven't watched a single minute of this trial because I'm not comfortable with the idea of making people's personal suffering a matter of entertainment, but I've followed some reactions here and on social media, and the way some people are almost religiously committed to defending depp is bound to cause some of them to lose the plot. That's when I'll be entertained.
Grim. It'll be a devastating blow for both male & female DV victims around the world but so long as you'll get a giggle.

NotThatSoph

I see, still a lunatic then. Well if you want to put forward a rational argument at any point then please feel free to do so.
I think it's trivial to have some unhinged takes without being a lunatic, but if you really want it to be true that I'm calling you a lunatic then I'm not going to argue with you about it. I don't have the power to section you, so it really doesn't matter that much.

If you really want me to put forward a rational argument for why it's possible to break your nose without having black eyes for weeks, then I guess I could. It would go something like this:

- Premise 1: Based on a lot of accounts it's perfectly possible to break your nose without having black eyes for weeks.
- Premise 2: There is no conspiracy where a vast network of people band together to falsely claim that they have broken their noses without having black eyes for weeks.
- Premise 3: According to the NHS it's perfectly possible to break your nose without having black eyes for weeks.
- Premise 4: It's reasonable to believe medical experts on the subject of broken noses, black eyes, and the duration of those things.
- Conclusion: It is perfectly possible to break your nose without having black eyes for weeks.

MichaelRed

I think it's trivial to have some unhinged takes without being a lunatic, but if you really want it to be true that I'm calling you a lunatic then I'm not going to argue with you about it. I don't have the power to section you, so it really doesn't matter that much.

If you really want me to put forward a rational argument for why it's possible to break your nose without having black eyes for weeks, then I guess I could. It would go something like this:

- Premise 1: Based on a lot of accounts it's perfectly possible to break your nose without having black eyes for weeks.
- Premise 2: There is no conspiracy where a vast network of people band together to falsely claim that they have broken their noses without having black eyes for weeks.
- Premise 3: According to the NHS it's perfectly possible to break your nose without having black eyes for weeks.
- Premise 4: It's reasonable to believe medical experts on the subject of broken noses, black eyes, and the duration of those things.
- Conclusion: It is perfectly possible to break your nose without having black eyes for weeks.
Are you being deliberately difficult or are you just genuinely ignorant? It'd be like me saying a C-section leaves a scar and you saying "it's perfectly possible to have a natural birth without a scar on your abdomen". Like yea, no shit, but that's not what is being talked about. I'll say it for you one final time before I completely lose hope for you. It's not possible to have no bruising if your nose is broken via a headbutt like the one described by Amber Heard.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Grim. It'll be a devastating blow for both male & female DV victims around the world but so long as you'll get a giggle.
That's the kind of overly dramatic comments I'm looking forward to. I won't laugh at depp or heard, I feel sorry for both of them actually for having to go through this. But the fanboys having a meltdown online will be hilarious. I predict we'll have some of that in this thread too.

MichaelRed

That's the kind of overly dramatic comments I'm looking forward to. I won't laugh at depp or heard, I feel sorry for both of them actually for having to go through this. But the fanboys having a meltdown online will be hilarious. I predict we'll have some of that in this thread too.
Ugh. I'm too tired to debate this any more, especially from scratch. Hopefully you find education on these matters some day.

Denis79

You're a better person than me. I've been an avid watcher of AFTV, so I got a taste for it.

Smores

I mean if no one actually qualified said it was broken then it seems to be a bit redundant to argue over.

She may have been headbutt and it may have hurt but why would anyone take her word that it was broken?

If it was that bad she'd have sought treatment. She's a hollywood movie star who's career relies on her looking attractive she's not just leaving it.

NotThatSoph

Are you being deliberately difficult or are you just genuinely ignorant? It'd be like me saying a C-section leaves a scar and you saying "it's perfectly possible to have a natural birth without a scar on your abdomen". Like yea, no shit, but that's not what is being talked about. I'll say it for you one final time before I completely lose hope for you. It's not possible to have no bruising if your nose is broken via a headbutt like the one described by Amber Heard.
Let's not repaint the picture too much, here is what you actually said: "Despite her not getting surgery on the broken nose? Broken nose will give you black eyes for weeks, yet she had no black eye 1 & 2 days after her nose was broken? Jog on. "

Even with your new phrasing, of course it's still possible to break your nose because of a headbutt without having black eyes for weeks. It is utterly bizarre to claim otherwise, yet you're still doing it. Which is why this thread is great.

Denis79

Let's not repaint the picture too much, here is what you actually said: "Despite her not getting surgery on the broken nose? Broken nose will give you black eyes for weeks, yet she had no black eye 1 & 2 days after her nose was broken? Jog on. "

Even with your new phrasing, of course it's still possible to break your nose because of a headbutt without having black eyes for weeks. It is utterly bizarre to claim otherwise, yet you're still doing it. Which is why this thread is great.

kps88

See, here's where you're probably misunderstanding me. I'm discussing the validity of her version of events where she claims it was a forceful, deliberate, him pulling his head back and flying forward with everything he's got.
Yeah I get your point. There's still so much scope for uncertainty though. She never said he did it with everything he's got, at least I don't think she did. Maybe he held back. Maybe it was a headbutt but she exaggerated the impact. Maybe even the mildest of headbutts felt like being hit by a brick to her. There's so many possibilities.

Let's see what happens when she's cross examined. If it's such a blatantly obvious lie/foregone medical conclusion then Depp's legal team should be making it a cornerstone of their case.

hobbers

I thought she at least had medical evidence of a broken nose, or being assessed for one?

If she doesn't then obviously it's nonsense.

MichaelRed

So you are just being obtuse. You'd think the context was pretty heavily implied given the discussion was about JD breaking her nose with a violent headbutt & my probably 20+ other posts all referenced that context too just to make it extra clear but you want to argue with a point I'm not making. Ok, you might get bruising around the nose & under the eyes for 7 days from what she described but the bruising can even last for up to 4 weeks. I guess the bottom end around 7 days is a week & not weeks but it would usually be longer given how she claimed it happened. Sorry I didn't give a time in exact hours to suit your pedantry.

Drainy

Completely agree here. Very good chance both claims are dismissed regardless of how vindicated Depp appears at the end, if he does

The article itself is pretty broad and the headline wasn't written by Heard, only republished

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I see the debates about who abused whom more, and because it is still very subjective, I'll try and stay out.

What does Depp need to prove that he was indeed the victim of defamation? Shouldn't his lawyers be establishing that:

1. Depp had good fortune prior to article.
2. The article was indeed about him and indeed by Heard.
3. The article is untrue to a large extent
4. Depp suffered misfortune after the article
5. Depp suffered misfortune because of the article

I see the entire debate about 3. Are the rest of the points already proven? Am I correct in understanding that even if 3 is achieved, the case will be lost if the other parts aren't?

MichaelRed

I see the debates about who abused whom more, and because it is still very subjective, I'll try and stay out.

What does Depp need to prove that he was indeed the victim of defamation? Shouldn't his lawyers be establishing that:

1. Depp had good fortune prior to article.
2. The article was indeed about him and indeed by Heard.
3. The article is untrue to a large extent
4. Depp suffered misfortune after the article
5. Depp suffered misfortune because of the article

I see the entire debate about 3. Are the rest of the points already proven? Am I correct in understanding that even if 3 is achieved, the case will be lost if the other parts aren't?
At the moment no points are 'proven' until the jury give their verdict. They have to believe that it was more likely than not that the article was wrote with malice, was untrue & that he suffered damages because of it. Just because he is suing her for $50m doesn't mean that if he wins the case he'll get $50m. The jury could decide for example that yes the article was falsified but they might decide the damage didn't cause him to lose $50m in earnings & instead award him 40 or 30 or 20 etc.

hobbers

How does a jury even work in a defamation suit in Amercia?

What happens with a split decision?

big rons sovereign

The thing I don't get about the this whole headbutt malarkey, to actually land one square enough to break somebody's nose is gonna be unlikely depending on loads of factors, height, distance, both of them moving around etc.

I reckon you're far more likely to catch them on the forehead or end up with teethmarks in your own fod.
And if you do catch them square, it's gonna make a mess.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
How does a jury even work in a defamation suit in Amercia?

What happens with a split decision?
Extra time because Americans hate ties. Depp and Heard take a weapon of their choice from the Big Box of Weapons and then fight until only one remains.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Extra time because Americans hate ties. Depp and Heard take a weapon of their choice from the Big Box of Weapons and then fight until only one remains.
And they have to be dressed as jack sparrow and aquawoman.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
From what I have read on this case, it's widely accepted that Depp is 100% going to lose. The case was only taken because it would be played out in the public eye and Depp would win in the court of public opinion. This is what has happened.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I think Amber would be a little upset having to wear a pirate costume but, yeah, let's go for it!
I think she'd like it, and depp would probably be a much more interesting aquaman than khal drogo

MichaelRed

From what I have read on this case, it's widely accepted that Depp is 100% going to lose. The case was only taken because it would be played out in the public eye and Depp would win in the court of public opinion. This is what has happened.
It's harder to win than not for sure but I think that 100% certainty that he won't win is starting to drop. If they had just expanded the definition of abuse to being subjectively anything from a raised voice to a closed fist punch to the face & then managed to disassociate Heard from the op-ed title then Depp would have 100% had no chance. It felt like that was what they were going for too with their psychologist trying to expand the definition of abuse as much as possible but then Amber came in and blew that all to kingdom come with this edition of her testimony. At this point if the jury don't buy her story they're probably a lot more likely to vote against her because of how outrageous the lies have become, if they believe them to be lies that is. Really think she should have played it down & got to a point where the jury would vote against Depp if they believed he so much as raised his hand to her.