g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

An update on dealing with some of the excessive negativity on here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
No according to @Snowjoe you should analyse every move he made, describes it perfectly one second after another and refuse to say the bloody obvious.

Imagine yourself as Gary Neville with his ipad. The only difference is you're doing it pro bono.
That’s not what we are asking at all and you know it. Don’t be so obtuse.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
No according to @Snowjoe you should analyse every move he made, describes it perfectly one second after another and refuse to say the bloody obvious.

Imagine yourself as Gary Neville with his ipad. The only difference is you're doing it pro bono.
@Niall has himself said that there is a lot leniency in match day threads and we allow it due to the emotions of the game.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
That’s not what we are asking at all and you know it. Don’t be so obtuse.
Well, that's what you're asking. If a player makes 1 mistake then yes, I'd describe his mistake to make an argument (ex DDG mistakes during our last game). However if a player keeps making mistakes on a nearly week in week out basis that political correctness does goes a bit out of the window as he's clearly not good enough.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
And he's to do this everytime Smalling makes a shit pass or have a brain fart?
You know you don’t actually have to post your every thought on the forum don’t you? As we’ve already said match day threads are more lenient.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Good change, I think.

I have zero problem with negativity but having threads spammed with the sort of braindead negative posts highlighted in the OP makes the football forums more tedious than they might otherwise be. It's not like you can actually engage with a "Smalling is shit" type post, it just clutters the thread. Forcing people to construct better posts can't hurt. If they can't be bothered to do that..... *shrugs*

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
What if Smalling makes a third mistake in two minutes and costs us a goal though? I'd say 'Smalling is shit' is a valid post in the match day thread.
Did you not read the OP either? Posts like that in the fast moving Match Day thread are acceptable because of the nature of the posts and thread during a live match. It's just in the normal footy and players threads that these posts are unwelcome and don't add anything to the discussion.

KM

And he's to do this everytime Smalling makes a shit pass or have a brain fart?
Well the performance threads will be closed during the match.

You don't rate the manager or a player then that's fine. Just don't keep on reiterating in every thread without putting a reason ahead of it.

TheReligion

Abusive
Good change, I think.

I have zero problem with negativity but having threads spammed with the sort of braindead negative posts highlighted in the OP makes the football forums more tedious than they might otherwise be. It's not like you can actually engage with a "Smalling is shit" type post, it just clutters the thread. Forcing people to construct better posts can't hurt.
This

Morpheus 7

I'm really happy with this, fair play for addressing it. The red cafe is still a great place for discussion at times. Unfortunately in the last year and a half, some of the posts have became diluted. Less constructive posts and more reactionary ones like, he's rubbish or quoting posters with three words with no point in why they disagree. The pile up of thread's after a negative result with garbage needs to stop.

TheReligion

Abusive
Well the performance threads will be closed during the match.

You don't rate the manager or a player then that's fine. Just don't keep on reiterating in every thread without putting a reason ahead of it.
Not sure what people can't grasp.

Think it's been explained perfectly well and whatever you do won't please everyone. Ignore it.

KM

Emotions run way beyond the match.
So you want to post Smalling is garbage every time he makes a mistake in every possible related Smalling thread without giving a reason and expect us to be okay with it?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Any emotional posts in match threads should automatically be banned/deleted by mods. Maybe ban the use of certain words.. like shit, rubbish, crap etc.. which forces people to engage their brain before using a negative word in the heat of the moment.

devilish

So you want to post Smalling is garbage every time he makes a mistake in every possible related Smalling thread without giving a reason and expect us to be okay with it?
Do I do that? I barely even post about football anymore. Im growing too old for that.

However I can't see how can anyone create debate on the bloody obvious. So instead of saying Smalling is crap. You add a few sentences to describe why. I might make ready made sentences to add in every single post just in case someone has some impairment which doesn't allow him to see why. Would that make people happy?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Hurray! There's hope that match day threads will be bearable again.

devilish

Maybe stick to Twitter.
well I'm reducing my posts in here tbh. I'm sticking more to politics and quora these days. However, I cant see how removing passion from the game will help the forum and I've been in the receiving (hurting) way of this passion more then most in here.

acnumber9

Hopefully it sees an improvement because it’s been depressing reading at times. I wasn’t surprised to see two people I have on ignore complaining that they can’t whine incessantly and without reason anymore.

KM

Do I do that? I barely even post about football anymore. Im growing too old for that.

However I can't see how can anyone create debate on the bloody obvious. So instead of saying Smalling is crap. You add a few sentences to describe why. I might make ready made sentences to add in every single post just in case someone has some impairment which doesn't allow him to see why. Would that make people happy?
I give up.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Did you not read the OP either? Posts like that in the fast moving Match Day thread are acceptable because of the nature of the posts and thread during a live match. It's just in the normal footy and players threads that these posts are unwelcome and don't add anything to the discussion.
Ah feck, my bad. I did read it, but the clarification threw me off :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
well I'm reducing my posts in here tbh. I'm sticking more to politics and quora these days. However, I cant see how removing passion from the game will help the forum and I've been in the receiving (hurting) way of this passion more then most in here.
You're basically arguing for the right to make shit posts.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not sure what people can't grasp.

Think it's been explained perfectly well and whatever you do won't please everyone. Ignore it.
Asking to think before post is causing lot of confusion. Wonder why. :D

Moonred

Any emotional posts in match threads should automatically be banned/deleted by mods. Maybe ban the use of certain words.. like shit, rubbish, crap etc.. which forces people to engage their brain before using a negative word in the heat of the moment.
Do the mods keep doing this instead of watching the bloody match? People need to calm down and realise that spamming a thread with repetitive drivel serves no purpose. It can only generate a reaction which is most likely going to be equally futile.

devilish

You're basically arguing for the right to make shit posts.
Im arguing for the right to show some passion in this forum and not being forced to write a paragraph when a two liner can do. Its football for god's sake not the UN. We come here to relax or boil off. If that's removed from the equation then I struggle to understand why people would post in the first place.

Why I will always respect the people in here, I'll still keep posting the way as I always did. If I get banned then so be it. It means my cycle here is over.

Last edited:

KM

Im arguing for the right to show some passion in this forum and not being forced to write a paragraph when a two liner can do. Its football for god's sake not the UN. We come here to relax or boil off. If that's removed from the equation then I struggle to understand why people would post in the first place.
"Smalling is garbage" is three words. Believe me, if every poster started posting two liners when they're criticizing a player or the manager, then there wouldn't have been any need for this announcement.

devilish

"Smalling is garbage" is three words. Believe me, if every poster started posting two liners when they're criticizing a player or the manager, then there wouldn't have been any need for this announcement.
Sometimes that explains everything mate. Now if you've got someone who keeps posting the same thing again and again for days then I agree that he deserves a warning. However, sometimes you need to admit that some players are indeed not good enough.

donkeyfish

I think these replies are a knee jerk reaction OR you haven't read the OP correctly.

Nobody is saying you can't express negative opinions about the team, players or manager, just that they have to be constructive and reasoned opinions. Just saying "Smalling is shit" won't cut it. The posts need to be constructive. I don't see anything wrong with this quality control measure at all. I think It's a great idea and badly needed as the forums have descended in to a lot of shit throwing in recent months and full of posts that don't seem to add anything to the discussions at all.
I think this reply is a knee jerk reaction or you haven’t read my post correctly

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

If the point you're making is totally obvious to everyone, lacks the nuance to require any further detail and can be expanded on with pre-prepared sentences you cut & paste into every post, maybe it shouldn't be getting past your own personal quality filter in the first place? I mean why would you want to make the sort of post you're describing and why would anyone else want to read it?

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

Why I will always respect the people in her, I'll still keep posting the way as I always did. If I get banned then so be it. It seems my cycle here is over.
Shit post...

See the point? I could have just left it there but that wouldn't be right and would probably just provoke an argument.

I love the fact you have written paragraphs in defence of being able to just post "Smalling is shit"

So you can argue in depth and with passion in defence of it, but can't do the same when judging a player?

Look at it this way. Someone writes a two or three paragraph post about Smalling and then you just reply "he's shit" then others follow with either the same or "NO he isn't" what is that adding to the discussion?

Why can't you just fill the post out a little and add the reasons why you think he is? I.e he can't tackle, positioning is off, slow off the line etc.

Then discussion is made and the threads have flow rather than just descending in to a shit throwing negativity fest.

devilish

Although these posts are hardly constructive, shutting down discussion like this is never good.

It is better for such users to be challenged to explain in detail their frustrations, rather than saying 'you are not thinking the right way'.

Emotion is part of football and I expect free speech to allow people to express their negativity about United's playing style. I mean what's next - giving out awards to 'true reds'. It just feels RAWKish, as someone said earlier.
this

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I think of it more in terms of, "if every poster thought for a couple of minutes instead of insisting they need to post their every thought however banal, hysterical, pointless or repetitive" we wouldn't need it.

devilish

Shit post...

See the point? I could have just left it there but that wouldn't be right and would probably just provoke an argument.

I love the fact you have written paragraphs in defence of being able to just post "Stalling is shit"

So you can argue in depth and with passion in defence of it, but can't do the same when judging a player?

Look at it this way. Someone writes a two or three paragraph post about Smalling and then you just reply "he's shit" then others follow with either the same or "NO he isn't" what is that adding to the discussion?

Why can't you just fill the post out a little and add the reasons why you think he is? I.e he can't tackle, positioning is off, slow off the line etc.

Then discussion is made and the threads have flow rather than just descending in to a shit throwing negativity fest.
you've got every right to think its a shit post and I'll defend your right to say that every time.

All I am saying is that there are instances that explaining why a player is shit is silly. Think of the likes of Smalling, Mcnair or Moyes. Should we even debate that?

Status
Not open for further replies.