An update on dealing with some of the excessive negativity on here

Status
Not open for further replies.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I think this reply is a knee jerk reaction or you haven’t read my post correctly
Now you are just being obtuse. Ironic as that's kind of the point of this thread. Anyway I think It's a good rule and hopefully will promote more discussion and less derogatory one line insults.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Some of you need to re-read my OP. You’re over analysing what I said and jumping to the wrong conclusion.

Opinions, negative or otherwise, will not be clamped down on/censored. Just try and put more effort in than “he’s so shit”, “we’re shit”, “everything is shit” <head explodes>!

The match threads are a special case where emotions run high, always have been, and will stay that way. We get that. But please refrain from sweeping ultra negative and hateful posts of the ilk highlighted in my OP.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
You're literally arguing against this with me.

It is better for such users to be challenged to explain in detail their frustrations, rather than saying 'you are not thinking the right way'.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying that you can't express negative opinions. You don't like how we're playing, that's fine. You don't think Mourinho is the right man for the job, fair enough. You think Lukaku's first touch is poor, well ok then. Those kinds of opinions are still perfectly ok to post but need to be expressed in a reasonable fashion. Make your point and back it up. Getting hysterical and posting rubbish like the examples above is just not on anymore.
Both of these quoted posts more or less say the same thing but you're agreeing with one and disagreeing with another.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If the point you're making is totally obvious to everyone, lacks the nuance to require any further detail and can be expanded on with pre-prepared sentences you cut & paste into every post, maybe it shouldn't be getting past your own personal quality filter in the first place? I mean why would you want to make the sort of post you're describing and why would anyone else want to read it?
And what makes you think that I care who reads my posts or not? I am a supporter posting on a football forum. Most of the time I care about debating football but sometimes I just want to vent with like minded posters whose sharing a crappy moment we all hate.

donkeyfish

Now you are just being obtuse. Ironic as that's kind of the point of this thread. Anyway I think It's a good rule and hopefully will promote more discussion and less derogatory one line insults.
I’m not, I honestly tried to write exactly what you’re saying. This new policy is nothing but quality control, i.e. it’s not a rawkish opinion policing. It’s a policy that in a sense already is in place through quality over quantity.

ZAGREB RED

I think the message here is think before you post, don't just say something in the heat of the moment as per the examples quoted. Take a deep breath and a few seconds or minutes before posting, easier said than done, but maybe a bit more in the way of constructive criticism. It's fair enough really.
I think we have all, in life or on this forum, said something in the heat of the moment and almost immediately or a while later thought "I shouldn't have said that" or "maybe I could have worded that a bit better".

caid

Completely missed that thread as i thought it'd be a kind of reverse moan about people moaning.
Don't love censorship even for tedious crap such as your examples but sounds reasonable, fair and i can live with it.
I wont miss the comments in the least i guess.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I’m not, I honestly tried to write exactly what you’re saying. This new policy is nothing but quality control, i.e. it’s not a rawkish opinion policing. It’s a policy that in a sense already is in place through quality over quantity.
Ok well we can agree to disagree then. I think most people have been supportive of the change and I honestly think it will make A positive difference to the football forums that recently have put so many people off posting there. Myself included.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You're literally arguing against this with me.

Both of these quoted posts more or less say the same thing but you're agreeing with one and disagreeing with another.
Not really

Rightnr had clearly showed how to tackle those who are venting without the need to censor those who do.

If I say Smalling is shite and someone asks me why then rest assured that I will explain it in detail. I am the first to admit that I am not the best posters in here. However I've been here since 2002 and I only ignored one person (An extremely boring man) and only temporarly (mainly because I felt that as a human being he deserved my attention). That despite the many many insults thrown at me in the past. I read all the posts addressed to me and I try to reply to all of them.I am against censorship unless it insults the posters in here or are racists/sexist etc.

PS: If you read my posts about Smalling you'll notice I want to keep him for another year unless we've got 1-2 great defender lined up on cheap.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Although these posts are hardly constructive, shutting down discussion like this is never good.

It is better for such users to be challenged to explain in detail their frustrations, rather than saying 'you are not thinking the right way'.

Emotion is part of football and I expect free speech to allow people to express their negativity about United's playing style. I mean what's next - giving out awards to 'true reds'. It just feels RAWKish, as someone said earlier.
Well we aren’t shutting down any discussion if you’d bothered to read.

Also free speech doesn’t apply on a private Internet forum. It’s never been a thing here.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
And what makes you think that I care who reads my posts or not? I am a supporter posting on a football forum. Most of the time I care about debating football but sometimes I just want to vent with like minded posters whose sharing a crappy moment we all hate.
Well if you don't care who reads your posts or not then what's the problem? You can still vent away to your heart's content in the vaccum that is the matchday thread. Being limited to that thread shouldn't bother you in the slightest if you don't care about other posters actually reading it.

Then in the proper threads you can actually engage in football discussion with other people.

Deleted member 101472

So how exactly should we say that Smalling is crap? I mean he is really a poor poor player. Suggestions would geniunely help.
There are so many ways to express this constructively. Is english your first language?

E.g.

“Smalling is crap” -juvenile, offers nothing

Versus

“Smalling continually makes mistakes that are detriment to the team, and I really think we could do with upgrading him” - mature, open to discussion.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
No according to @Snowjoe you should analyse every move he made, then describes what he did wrong. Whatever happens please refrain saying the bloody obvious.

Imagine yourself as Gary Neville with his ipad. The only difference is you're doing it pro bono.
That's not what we're saying and you know it. What we've said is pretty clear, it's not hard to grasp, use your common sense when posting and move on.

Moonred

Not really

Rightnr had clearly showed how to tackle those who are venting without the need to censor those who do.

If I say Smalling is shite and someone asks me why then rest assured that I will explain it in detail. I am the first to admit that I am not the best posters in here. However I've been here since 2002 and I only ignored one person (An extremely boring man) and only temporarly (mainly because I felt that as a human being he deserved my attention). That despite the many many insults thrown at me in the past. I read all the posts addressed to me and I try to reply to all of them.I am against censorship unless it insults the posters in here or are racists/sexist etc.

PS: If you read my posts about Smalling you'll notice I want to keep him for another year unless we've got 1-2 great defender lined up on cheap.
Problem is that, most of the time people won’t ask you why. They will call you shite or spam you with laughing emojis. Whereas, if you are a bit more articulate, it may lead to a why. This is just an example. The manner in which you say something, triggers different reactions.

I get the venting part, but excessively repeating the same thing over and over again becomes tedious.

It’s sometimes best to wait as writing well thought out posts during an ongoing match is also counter productive to actually watching the damn thing.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I'm voicing my support for this, in case it matters, although I doubt it.

Devil may care

Oh and congratulations @Devil may care and @Rightnr you mentioned today's magic thread word: RAWK!

Your prize is an....INSTABAN!!
:lol: What about the questions though, is it still okay to say Andy Caroll is a donkey and the Xhaka is a garbage footballer? I'm just wondering if the verbiage and way you talk about a player is limited to only the United players?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Not really

If you really cannot hold yourself from spouting insults at the team or the manager for every little indiscretion they make - I would suggest a better diet, less stress and more exercise, because that behaviour really isn’t healthy especially if you’re not a child.

Deleted member 101472

I support this and as a personal rule I'll start thinking more about whether what I've typed is really worth sharing.
Honestly, this. Not just for the forum but got general life. The morals of this is one of the first thing we all learn as kids “If you haven’t got anything nice to say, say nothing at all” which I suppose in modern times can be reworded to “If you haven’t got anything nice to say, word it in as constructive a way as possible”

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Think this is an excellent move, thank you to all the staff for your hard work ! :)

Golden Nugget

This is great - especially closing down the player performance threads during the games.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
:lol: What about the questions though, is it still okay to say Andy Caroll is a donkey and the Xhaka is a garbage footballer? I'm just wondering if the verbiage and way you talk about a player is limited to only the United players?
I'm less concerned about posts aimed at non-United people. This is a United forum so this applies primarily to our team, the one we all (supposedly) support.

Plus we all know said players are indeed shit! ;)

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Good stuff. I'll retry the match day thread and see if this makes it bearable.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
It's still ok for oppo's to post about how shit you are, right?
It is probably okay, I've never received warnings when I state that you lot are all perma-lisping and handkerchief waving cnuts.

Devil may care

I'm less concerned about posts aimed at non-United people. This is a United forum so this applies primarily to our team, the one we all (supposedly) support.

Plus we all know said players are indeed shit! ;)
I think supporting the club sometimes means having issues with the players pulling on the shirt for the team as you want better for your club and most of them don't invoke feellings of loyalty these days, but ok, I'll just have to watch myself when discussing Fellaini. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.