An update on dealing with some of the excessive negativity on here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Not being able to call Chris Smalling 'wank' without backing it up is just one more terrifying step along the road to a Stalinist dystopia.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
The changes make sense, and I for one welcome them. Being asked to explain the rationale behind an opinion is not censorship.

Deleted member 101472

I thought it was. Maybe I just have a difficult personality.
I think he’s forgotten that night he was drunk and confirmed it pal, playing dumb now because of what happened to mad winger.

jungledrums

Oh no I don't have such arrogance. Quite the contrary I consider myself being a meah poster myself mainly because Im too emotional and other things some mods know about which I want to keep personal. However even I can point out the obvious. Smalling is not good enough as much as the sky is blue, it tend to be cold in Aberdeen and it tend to hot in the Sahara desert. The very reason why a thread filled with very righteous reds are using him as a prime example should probably hint to that too.

Should we debate those as well (cold in Aberdeen, the sky is blue, its hot in the Sahara desert) or should I bring stats and arguments to support that too?
Well okay, if it's so blindingly obvious, I don't see why you even need to say it. If you want to vent, use the matchday threads as they'll be less 'policed'. If it's discussion you want, then "Smalling is shite" does not prompt discussion. Again, I don't agree with your opinion, getting off topic here but I believe Smalling has his place in the squad and seemingly so does Mourinho. Anyway, no more discussion necessary I suppose, we disagree with one another.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So you are against the use of the word "shit" in the game thread but will say that i'm talking shit?? And i'm not calling you nazis snowflake. You guys are only victims of the cultural marxism.
What the hell is this?

Shiva87

Great intent but will be a hard one to implement. Don't see how one person's assessment of when a negative post is 'reasonable' or not can Trump another's.

As long as this remains limited only to wholly unnecessary posts, I welcome this. I had lost a lot of interest in Caf over the last few months due to this negativity.

automaticflare

What if Smalling makes a third mistake in two minutes and costs us a goal though? I'd say 'Smalling is shit' is a valid post in the match day thread.
Agreed

It is exactly the type of thing you would say to your mate down the pub or on the stands if you had some mates and didn’t spend match days on the internet forums

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
and I do for most topics. But some things aren't even worth debating. Smalling being one of them. He's clearly not good enough as a first teamer. I mean how can a United player be deemed good enough since he lack football IQ and can't pass the ball. That's a must have at top club.

I do debate other things about him like for example I think we shouldn't sell him next season unless we've got a top defender in the bag on cheap
Right. So if its not worth discussing, why do you feel the need to call him shit?

Last edited:

ivaldo

Haven't you read niall's warning not to derail this thread any further?
:lol: That's a nice way of not actually having to justify your ramblings. Quick and easy rule: If what you're about to write doesn't contribute to a discussion, then don't write it.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
We are yet another step closer to transforming into RAWK.

Varun

Staff
Agreed

It is exactly the type of thing you would say to your mate down the pub or on the stands if you had some mates and didn’t spend match days on the internet forums
Match day threads have always been more Liberal and will continue to be so.
Lets face it, you'd have been banned ages ago if we'd taken as much as a baby step towards RAWK

KM

Thank you for your endorsement to this policy. The general rule is that the opposite side of whatever you're debating is the sensible option.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Match day threads have always been more Liberal and will continue to be so.

Lets face it, you'd have been banned ages ago if we'd taken as much as a baby step towards RAWK
The first step was the posters transforming. Not the 'authority' on here. This is now changing. This will become rawk and luckily it's only an internet thingy where I will do as I have always done without ever changing and if that takes me to a ban eventually (which it won't if we look at my post history it rarely insults Or breaks rules - I get insulted), rightfully or wrongly, I won't even put a single spark of my energy into caring.

Varun

Staff
The first step was the posters transforming. Not the 'authority' on here. This is now changing. This will become rawk and luckily it's only an internet thingy where I will do as I have always done without ever changing and if that takes me to a ban eventually (which it won't if we look at my post history it rarely insults Or breaks rules - I get insulted), rightfully or wrongly, I won't even put a single spark of my energy into caring.
Cool, I don't think there's any issue to be addressed then

KM

You've accumulated 22 warning points over the last five years. You're lucky not to have been permanently banned. Stop with your "victim" complex.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
You've accumulated 22 warning points over the last five years. You're lucky not to have been permanently banned. Stop with your "victim" complex.
A bit of a wound up reaction for a simple post expressing my valid opinion of the situation?

And what part of my explenation to Varun did you not get? No problem with 'authority' on here up until now (although I did feel posters who attacked me with insults got free passes and some infractions were just given to me because of my 'reputation', i never bothered to contest though, whatever) up to now although the majority of posts seem to havebecome extremely sour and bitter ->lack of success was first step of our road to RAWK.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Great idea.

Are people actually moaning that they can't just pop into a thread and say 'Smalling is shit'? I mean why would you even bother posting that? What point doe sit serve? How is anyone supposed to respond to that? You think people even care that you have written that? Most of us just skip past those posts until we find something worth reading. This isn't the pub where you can just throw around menial comments and the other person just nods their head and continues watching the game. You must be able to see the difference between a pub and an internet 'discussion' forum.

I think this is a very good idea and, if it results in shorter but more meaningful threads without pages and pages of pointless posts, then all the better. I am glad I'm no longer a mod though- I wish you all luck with this one!

Siorac

Closing the Player Performances threads during games is probably a good idea.

The rest of the 'clamping down' I'm not sure about. You say the Match Day threads are still going to be treated with leniency which is sensible - but that's where you can usually find the types of posts quoted in the OP. Generally, after the games, once things have settled down, the vast vast vast majority of the posts do not violate the guidelines set in the OP.

What I'm saying is that the sort of people who complain about the supposedly relentless negativity of the Caf will still complain once someone says that José Mourinho is not the right man for Manchester United or that we play very poor football. These types of posts, while not violating the rules, will still provoke tons of complaints and eventual demands to clamp down on them, too.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
So you are against the use of the word "shit" in the game thread but will say that i'm talking shit?? And i'm not calling you nazis snowflake. You guys are only victims of the cultural marxism.
:lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
It's concerning how many posters appear to be thick as pig shit.

It's repeated negativity without any other purpose but to moan and attention seek that will be punished and rightly so. Freedom of speech is a qualified right not an absolute one. Even in day to day life you can't say whatever you want and you must take responsibility for your actions.

Darkhorsez

Well done on implementing this approach. Debates and arguments can be happen without resorting to the use of foul language and personal attacks.

Fully Fledged

I am not a pundit on sky but a fan and should be allowed to write like one.
At the end of the day we are on a private forum not a public one. They have the right to set guidelines about expected behaviour.

We may not like them as some of us post during/straight after the match while high on emotion and fuelled with drink and don't always give a constructive opinion in those instances. It's is their space to control how they want thoug.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
:lol: That's a nice way of not actually having to justify your ramblings. Quick and easy rule: If what you're about to write doesn't contribute to a discussion, then don't write it.
Thats a good way not to get a ban. If you get permission from mods to keep that argument alive then i am more then happy to keep on discussing it

I said what i had to say which is my right and duty as an old poster who loves the place. Let me move to something more interesting possibly on quora

ivaldo

Thats a good way not to get a ban.
Come on mate, it's well within the parameters of the discussion. You know there's a difference between expressing disappointment with a player and throwing out a myriad of one liners that add nothing to the discussion. You can see from this very thread there are plenty of people who don't think Smalling is a donkey, which leads to the requirement of discussion. That's the key aspect here, does it add to a discussion?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Come on mate, it's well within the parameters of the discussion. You know there's a difference between expressing disappointment with a player and throwing out a myriad of one liners that add nothing to the discussion. You can see from this very thread there are plenty of people who don't think Smalling is a donkey, which leads to the requirement of discussion. That's the key aspect here, does it add to a discussion?
Look i said it already, i don't like spamming myself. However certain things are so obvious that dont need to be discussed. If lets say i say that smalling is not good enough it certainly not because he is too short. We all have eyes and brains to deduce why

And honestly I don't want to get banned for repeating things over and over again mainly because its spamming + I think its unfair considering posters keep asking the same things over and over again. I also don't want the typical Devilish hates Smalling thing mainly because its not the truth. I don't rate him as a United player but I've said it time and time again that unless we get a top defender on cheap then I want him to stay here for another year.

Last edited:

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Can't believe it took 7 pages for the word snowflake to appear.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Good changes, might actually bother with matchday thread now.
I'm guessing those who doesn't like the changes, are the ones they are made for.

Status
Not open for further replies.