Ancelotti Sacked

MadMike

PSG stuffed Neymar and Messi and et al in Paris last year and yet Barca did not sack their manager. Yes Barca's win in Nou Camp was a travesty but losing 4-0 to PSG is no shame without their best keeper. But Bayern has an aging squad. Now they will raid Dortmund again.
He was put under so much pressure that he announced his resignation 6 days later. Not massively different. If he hadn't resigned he could well have been sacked.

RobinHood

I've always thought Ancelloti was a more hands-off manager. He'd probably get the team to play to a particular shape and tempo, but that's about it. The decision-making would then stem from the players themselves.

This coupled with aging players and a couple of average transfer windows seem to have led them to this.

Although to be fair, being hands off isn't the worst thing in the world. It worked with his Madrid team (who had players in form and younger) and his first spell at Chelsea.

The transition from Pep's micro-managing must have been a shock to all.

Wayne's World

Surely for Ancelotti now that he will go back to Milan? It feels like he's managed every top team in Europe by now but he always said Milan was the closest one to his heart...

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
Bayern still have a way to go before they can compete with our revolving door lol

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I've always thought Ancelloti was a more hands-off manager. He'd probably get the team to play to a particular shape and tempo, but that's about it. The decision-making would then stem from the players themselves.

This coupled with aging players and a couple of average transfer windows seem to have led them to this.

Although to be fair, being hands off isn't the worst thing in the world. It worked with his Madrid team (who had players in form and younger) and his first spell at Chelsea.

The transition from Pep's micro-managing must have been a shock to all
Good understanding

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Wonder if they'll make an approach for Pochettino?

Not saying now as i cant see poch leaving spurs in the middle of the season, but would be great long term thinking.

el3mel

That was fast. I predicted it by the end of the season not in September.

Excellent decision anyway. They should get a good and young coach to start rebuilding the team and improving performance instead of this crap.

Theonas

Scout
He was refusing to renew and being stubborn and they tool matters into their own hands.

People also forget the luck that fell their way that year. They met a Barcelona side that even Real Madrid reserves without Cristiano Ronaldo were thrashing, a team that wasn't coached and a team with an injured Messi. In the final they got lucky thay Dante was in the pitch and should have gotten a straight red card.

Also the team had great motivation from the previous years failure and so all these things came together in a perfect storm. They had Shaqiri who believed he was fighting for a spot, Gustavo and Dante and Ribery and Robben fully fit most of the season.

Guardiola rarely had Robben and Ribery fit together at the same time, the only game I would say he was tactically out fought was the 4-0 loss at the Allianz Arena and that is specifically because he let the players do what they wanted.

The level of play Pep Guardiola achieved was higher than Juup Heynckes
Top post. Pep's work at Bayern has to be some of the most underrated work any manager has done in recent years. People think it was normal for Bayern to just crush everyone the way they did under him. Also the point about that game against Real is lost on many in favour of the convenient narrative that a supposedly obsessed possession manager lost to a counter attacking team. Bayern did not perform in that precisely because they went at it the way our United teams in the late '90s early '00s would, gung-ho and direct approach which is looking for trouble when you are playing a top opponent like it happened to us many times. It doesn't play into the narrative that many wanted to believe in those years though.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Managers become old, the spark goes, every job is a fully new job, younger managers change the landscape and assert themselves. One thing is, teams and playing style are the bare face of the manager. Carlo is aging fast.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Managers become old, the spark goes, every job is a fully new job, younger managers change the landscape and assert themselves. One thing is, teams and playing style are the bare face of the manager. Carlo is aging fast.
That said, Bayern lost the plot when they de-germanised themselves and hired Guardiola. Arrogance ultimately destroyed them both. We should now expect some sort of roots rediscover and they will be fine again sooner than later.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
The Arsenal board and Wenger should have a serious discussion with Ancelotti regarding next season. Obviously depends if he'd even be interested in the Arsenal job but it seems like a good opportunity for Arsenal to me and they obviously don't need to announce anything this early in the season.
That would just give them another older manager who is no longer focused on the details.

Dave46

Tuchel is the closest to Pep by his thinking. Plus, Watzke got rid of TT. I can see all the motivation for TT to go to Bayern.

RU Devil

Shocking, but not so shocking. Shocking that it a 3-0 loss to PSG was the final straw, not so shocking in that it seemed Carlo was a bit on cruise control and wasn't really improving the squad. Bayern strolled through the league due to their rivals being is a state of flux and they were still in a good run of form since the Treble. Eventually they had to start making a new 'great' team, while Carlo seems at best to be a very good man-manager, but not a great team builder, at least in his last few jobs. He's basically stepped into good to great teams and managed the personalities. Don't think he was up for creating a new team, what with the chopping & changing & evolving of tactics necessary to get there.

BM is a a well run unit, but at times needs a bit of entropy to get to its best. They need a bit of renewal as they definitely have gotten stale, and Carlo was not going to do anything to arrest the slide. Still favorites to win the league, but it will be interesting to see how far they get in the CL. The players are more than good enough to get to the semis but a bad draw can see them get booted earlier.

Minimalist

Jesus and United gave Moyes almost an entire season of him failing (way worse than this).

Dave46

Klopp trolled Bayern so much over the years that I never see this happening.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Interesting dilema for Bayern now. If they want someone like Poch or Klopp, then they need to go with a caretaker manager for the balance of this season because I don't see either of their current clubs being willing to let them go midseason. Or do they hire the best available right now and hope it works out?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That said, Bayern lost the plot when they de-germanised themselves and hired Guardiola. Arrogance ultimately destroyed them both. We should now expect some sort of roots rediscover and they will be fine again sooner than later.
Lost the plot by more or less sustaining Heynckes' peak level for three more season? I bet they dream of losing it even further.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Anyone know what the direcor(s) or whatnot tops in Bayern have done illegal this time that they try to cover up in the news? :confused:

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Lost the plot by more or less sustaining Heynckes' peak level for three more season? I bet they dream of losing it even further.
naaa, don't let me go searching for Kalle's and friends proclaiming the best manager for the best club back then, they hired an alien for an awkward and overambitious (arrogant) experiment that ultimately led to these days stale

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
Top post. Pep's work at Bayern has to be some of the most underrated work any manager has done in recent years.
Frankly I enjoyed Guardiola's Bayern much more than his Barça side. People just look at the result and thought it was the normal stuff, didn't care to enjoy the ride

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
So is it going to be Sagnol until the end of the season with Nagelsmann taking over in the summer or Tuchel now?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Thinking that
You've lost the plot.
Yes because Heynckes winning the treble is not the same as what Pep did. Heynckes Bayern were the first team to demolish the great Barcelona team of the 2010 era. Bayern beat them 7 - 0 over two legs. That Heynckes team was better then Peps Bayern.

Edit: TREBLE

Last edited:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
They'll get Nagelsmann. Think about it: doesn't his name sound really good? Say it with me now. Nagelsmann. Nagelsmann.
Talented young manager, not at all ready for a club like Bayern.

Yagami

Good post resistant
This is something, rightly or wrongly, I could never imagine us doing. We could win the title in the most uninspiring way possible and that'd give said manager a couple of years of leniency no matter how poor we become. Look at how long Moyes and van Gaal lasted.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Thinking that

Yes because Heynckes winning the double is not the same as what Pep did. Heynckes Bayern were the first team to demolish the great Barcelona team of the 2010 era. Bayern beat them 7 - 0 over two legs. That Heynckes team was better then Peps Bayern.
Exactly, that was a frightening tank and blah blah on with all the stereotypical German attributes turned on.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
He's basically stepped into good to great teams and managed the personalities.
Thing is, he failed even at that big time. Müller, Ribery, Lewandowski, Robben, there was a constant seething within the club, where a different fire had to be extinguished every second day in the past weeks.
Rather have a dreadful ending, than an endless dreading, as a German proverb goes.
I'm just hoping the board can convince Tuchel to hop on board. He'll fall out with the board and some of the players too, eventually, but until then we're at least going to see some productive work.

Lyricist

Honestly people calling this sacking moronic or irrational just don't know much about the current football at Bayern. To say that the sacking is just based on last nights game is nowhere near true. The fans were always critical, the media was always critical, the players didn't buy Carlo's methods. Bayern have only regressed under Ancelotti and instead of waiting till 2 years of this have sucked all the stuff from the Heynckes and Pep years out of Bayern, they decided to be proactive and to start rebuilding asap. Bayern know they need to do transitioning and they want to introduce younger players again as well. Carlo not only isn't usually the greatest with developing young players, he's also completely lost the dressing room's old players at Bayern. Robben, Ribery, Hummels, Müller, and Lewandowski have all been critical in front of the press recently. Something was wrong, and the chance for Carlo to be sacked was near for the last month. The PSG game was just the opportunity to find a reason to sack him. He wasn't developing them at all, and they were just turning into a dysfunctional, unhappy team.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
The 4-0 over Barcelona is probably what set Heyneckes and Guardiola apart in their teams at Bayern really, Pep's league win was equally impressive following Heyneckes but ultimately - despite the fact Bayern didn't look great in the CL that year until the quarter's, they dismantled Barca in that first leg and came good when it mattered.

RU Devil

Thing is, he failed even at that big time. Müller, Ribery, Lewandowski, Robben, there was a constant seething within the club, where a different fire had to be extinguished every second day in the past weeks.
Rather have a dreadful ending, than an endless dreading, as a German proverb goes.
I'm just hoping the board can convince Tuchel to hop on board. He'll fall out with the board and some of the players too, eventually, but until then we're at least going to see some productive work.
No doubt about that this time around. Seems the veteran's had enough at the end of last season. I am just commenting on his previous stints and why he was brought on. Seems the BM hierarchy wanted more of the same instead of evolving.

BTW, like that proverb.

ColvaleGoa

Talksport just said "Should Arsenal tie down Ancelloti for next year to replace Wenger next year?" Not a bad shout for Arsenal I think personally.