Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Our best run of games in recent years came with Carrick, Herrera and Fellaini in a three-man midfield. Pogba is obviously an upgrade on Fellaini, and Herrera has played himself back into some form, so it would be interesting to see this tried.

MattyB1986

It seems this club has some kind of fetish for immobile pace-less players. I will be seriously worried if we lineup with both rooney and fellaini, and questions we have to answer how Wayne rooney continue's to play, is there a deeper darker theory in play? how players in place of rooney score and assist, but Wayne Rooney can do anything but score goals, assists, able to move, pass and show any kind of technical ability, why he keeps giving the ball away, after all that he still gets in the team. If this was pep he would have laughed him out of the door, or give him the Toure treatment, because if not playing him will disrupt the dressing room, he really has become a poison influence killing this team. The players and potential we have in this team, is being ruined by an ageing passed his sell by date player, which the team is still built around which is completely mindblowing. Instead of putting your future into one of the words best midfielders at 23, we still building the team around someone who should have gone a long time ago
The fact I can't get my head around is we keep buying #10s to replace him and neglecting other areas of our team. We are yet to get another #6 to replace Carrick. Can't keep using Fellaini has an holding midfielder to be the link man and expect to win the league or even get top 4. We need a real, class, mobile holding midfielder. Someone in the mould of Saul Niguez or Julian Weigl would be my choice in profile. That's what we lack midfield wise. Attacking wise we are shoehorning actual strikers to the wings. Martial, Rashford both would be more mobile and scare defenders more than the Zlatan we see now. For all his goals unless we get pace around Zlatan the EPL will be way too quick for him and his overall gameplay has been shocking to me.
Still playing midfielders in defence, which is why we get caught all sloppy at the back sometimes. They are doing a job without being coached from a young age in that position.
With the midfielders we have at our disposal the best 3 in my opinion would be Carrick, Herrera, Pogba. Rest of the cm's we have are immobile or just not good enough. Spent a ton of money but most have been #10s even going back to Kagawa, then Mata, now Mkhi, hell even Herrera. But yet, Rooney still plays even though he's shot and then takes up a position for an actual midfielder when managers go, he's rubbish in #10 let's try him midfield rinse and repeat.
I'm sure it must have a detrimental effect to team morale when players like Herrera and even Mata have good games then get benched to make way for Rooney then he stinks up the place must be so disheartening. Even Kagawa had this problem too when he was here. Mkhi will too if we don't shift him on now. So, yeah, I agree with you mate.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Schneiderlin is better than Carrick.Carrick has lost his legs. He looked decent against a League 1 side tonight. But he'll get overrun when the likes of Kante, Fernandinho, De Bruyne and the likes start running at him. Plus I can't imagine him having much chemistry with Pogba.

Schneiderlin and Pogba would be a good partnership in my opinion.
How? When has he performed better then Carrick? All he does is give the ball to Carrick or Blind so they can actually do something with the ball since Schneiderlin never tries a single thing on the pitch. People have this idea that Schneiderlin is some enforcer that will add steel in midfield while being good enough to spread it around and play our more advanced players in, while in reality he just goes missing in games, on the ball only ever playing little 5 yard passes to the back 4, and off of it being out muscled pretty easily. There's just no way in hell that he's better or suits our other players more then an intelligent and quality passer of the ball like Carrick, or a high energy and tenacious player who always works hard to make a big impact like Herrera.

tomaldinho1

Schneiderlin is better than Carrick. Carrick has lost his legs. He looked decent against a League 1 side tonight. But he'll get overrun when the likes of Kante, Fernandinho, De Bruyne and the likes start running at him. Plus I can't imagine him having much chemistry with Pogba.

Would it be crazy to just kind of unleash Pogba. Schneiderlin as limited anchor player. Herrera as a Gattuso-like busy body. Pogba kind of drifting in front as B2B. I think they would work well as a midfield 3 and Herrera and Pog should have a few goals in them!

tomaldinho1

Schneiderlin is useless, Herrera plays with way more aggression then him anyway. Fellaini has done well true, but he just doesn't suit the rest. Doesn't matter how well he plays on an individual level, he'll never be a playmaker or a particularly good passer so he shouldn't start for me.
Fellaini is just a tall Phil Neville with an afro wig - he is ok at everything but shouldn't start IMO. Average pace, average on the ball, average shot, average in the air (despite being huge), average passer.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Rafael was a class RB, in SAF last season he was our most important player on the right, with Valencia being utterly shite as a winger, prior to being the best winger in the league
Agreed, the :( was because I miss Rafael.
Screw you Vardy, screw you referee, and screw you LvG.

Shark

@NotShark
I was one of the anti-Herrera brigade under LVG, I thought he was another figure that got extra praise for very little aside from playing like a Spanish Cleverly for the most part under him aside from a decent spell in his first season. He had some awful games. This season however, he's regained my backing. He's given everything and it'd be a crime if he didn't start vs Leicester.

Bugshot

Thing I love the most is his work ethic; he does have off days, but he will always give you 110%.

Him, Pogba and Carrick as a midfield 3 should have a strong look in for sure.
That's mathematically impossible and incorrect.

Giggs86

Don't mind whether Rooney starts or not but if Herrera won't start i'll be really disappointed.

prath92

He was very good this game. Ran the show. What I expected of Pogba was this at the very least.

Rossa

The summer, or even January priority must be a Carrick replacement. Trouble is, reliable and smart distributors of possession who are sturdy off the ball are gems. We should dedicate a huge chunk of our budget to find this player.
There's this Verratti guy - heard he's pretty decent.

Rossa

Verratti is really awesome but so far it always seemed as if he wasn't ready to move on from PSG. Well let's see what the next summer brings. Alternatively I think Weigl would be a great alternative if we want to replace Carrick more one to one.
Verratti has impressed me every time I've seen him, albeit slightly limited viewing tbf. A Modric type would also be exciting.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Pogba is not that kind of player though, is he?
When he get's older and less mobile he could be, but right now he prefers carrying the ball and dribbling, which is hardly a bad thing. Play Carrick behind Pogba and we will see the best of him IMO.

Rossa

When he get's older and less mobile he could be, but right now he prefers carrying the ball and dribbling, which is hardly a bad thing. Play Carrick behind Pogba and we will see the best of him IMO.
I don't think we can wait seven years for Pogba to grow into a Carrick role. They are completely different footballers. Carrick was never one to take on players or run past them, even when he was younger. Pogba should rather become a better version of himself and we need to replace Carrick with someone more similar unless Schneiderlin-Herrera can work alongside Pogba, which I believe they can.

kr0nix

Pogba is an attacking 8, Schneiderlin is a defensive 8, Ander is somewhere in between.

Handré1990

Gets what?
I guess you're probably trying to be funny, but on the off chance that you don't "get it", I'll try to explain it to you.

It's to do with how he conducts himself on the pitch and off. He's one of the few players who doesn't seem to feel entitled to be at Manchester United, the home of titans. He always tries to leave it all on the pitch, his effort is something more naturally gifted players in our team are sorely lacking. In interviews he's all about the team, and the collective effort. Like other former fan favourites he does everything he can to help the team. Even if he's clearly not a "word class player", he has a world class attitude and a world class work rate.

Clear?

SSSSnake

Would love to see a 4-3-3. Carrick lying deep with Herrera and Pogba just ahead of him.

m1y2

Carrick and Pogba is really indynamic setup from the start, any setup with Carrick we might struggle these days, just get it ppl and stop being desperate, carricks gone, he can help us in the league cup games though to help accommodate some other younger players in the game, Id much rather give Schneiderlin a chance and play him in the southampton form, all he needs is trust, I remember Carrick being constantly poor to average in one of the Saf's seasons and Saf kept playng him and he benefited from it the season after, Schendierlin is in and out of the team, never played three games in a row let alone 20 like the likes of Rooney or Carrick in their poorest of forms..

the same applies for Ander, he seem to have at least some guts to fight against his fate but at least he had pre season unlike Schneiderlin, the Frenchman needs to stop hiding though, he can be easily as good as Carrick if he wants..

Pogba - Herrera - Schneiderlin is the most balanced midfield we can line up with imo

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Herrera and Pobga are first choice for me. The other space is a toss up between Carrick and Schneiderlin. One provide the legs, one provides the intelligence and passing ability. I'm tempted to go with Carrick as the rest of the team can help him with that like we did with Scholes as he got deeper and deeper near the end of his career.

Acole9

Outstanding
I like him, he's a good player but I don't think anyone knows what type of a midfielder he's going to be. I hope he gets a decent run in the side.

DadiBG

I like him, he's a good player but I don't think anyone knows what type of a midfielder he's going to be. I hope he gets a decent run in the side.
Yeah, but he's 27. At that point he should be entering his prime years - yet we still don't know what type of midfielder he is ? He sure as hell isn't a deep-lying playmaker; he's not a defensive mid - for me he completely lacks discipline and his tackling is spotty at best. He's not a 10, he occasionally pops in with a goal or an assist, but he definitely lacks the creativity of a player like Silva, de Bruyne, Oscar, etc.

To me he's usually just another body in midfield - someone you stick in a midield three to run around, but other than that he just doesn't contribute that much for me. His passing isn't that good and too often I notice him not knowing his surroundings and instead of taking a ball, controlling it and starting an attack, he'll just first-time pass it back or blindly hoof it forwards (his "assist" to Rashford yesterday was precisely one of his trademark hoofs under very little pressure). For me a midfielder must be way better under pressure and has to contribute way more - either in attack or defense.

I like him though, he always shows a lot of desire, is usually a little ball of energy (though nowhere near what somebdoy like Fletch or Park used to be), but I'd never have him in a midfield two - especially next to Pogba. Midfield three with him, Carrick and Pogba or maybe him, Fellaini and Pogba could work, but in both cases I'd have question marks over whether he contributes enough to be worth a spot :-/

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Carrick and Pogba is really indynamic setup from the start, any setup with Carrick we might struggle these days, just get it ppl and stop being desperate, carricks gone, he can help us in the league cup games though to help accommodate some other younger players in the game, Id much rather give Schneiderlin a chance and play him in the southampton form, all he needs is trust, I remember Carrick being constantly poor to average in one of the Saf's seasons and Saf kept playng him and he benefited from it the season after, Schendierlin is in and out of the team, never played three games in a row let alone 20 like the likes of Rooney or Carrick in their poorest of forms..

the same applies for Ander, he seem to have at least some guts to fight against his fate but at least he had pre season unlike Schneiderlin, the Frenchman needs to stop hiding though, he can be easily as good as Carrick if he wants..

Pogba - Herrera - Schneiderlin is the most balanced midfield we can line up with imo
We won't get anywhere without a dictator in midfield and frankly schneiderlin just provides us all the same problems that felliani does because he's too slow to move the ball and doesn't have the quality to play between the lines into strikers and wingers. Even at Southampton he was never a top class deep lying playmaker which is exactly what we need now. Carrick is still the best passer in the team so has to play when fit and Blind is the only player even remotely capable of fulfilling a similar role.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Schneiderlin is better than Carrick. Carrick has lost his legs. He looked decent against a League 1 side tonight. But he'll get overrun when the likes of Kante, Fernandinho, De Bruyne and the likes start running at him. Plus I can't imagine him having much chemistry with Pogba.

Carrick without any legs is still more useful than Schneiderlin, Schneiderlin is one of the worst players on the ball and that's something that's really hurting us as it is.

I'm not really pro-Carrick but if you combine him with a midfield that has the energy of Herrera, skill and drive of Pogba - We may actually get some balance in our team.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He needs to play on the right hand side of the midfield. I remember LVG playing him in a similar position towards the end of his first season when we went on to beat Liverpool, City etc. and Hererra played brilliantly throughout that position.

In the short term play Carrick/Blind behind him and Pogba and long term get a Weigl/Tielemans type of player and have a right balance in midfield.

m1y2

We won't get anywhere without a dictator in midfield and frankly schneiderlin just provides us all the same problems that felliani does because he's too slow to move the ball and doesn't have the quality to play between the lines into strikers and wingers. Even at Southampton he was never a top class deep lying playmaker which is exactly what we need now. Carrick is still the best passer in the team so has to play when fit and Blind is the only player even remotely capable of fulfilling a similar role.
I agree that we might need a DLP but Carricks legs are gone and it will be a big problem in most EPL games as majority of teams press high enough to cancel out his passing contribution, he is average defensively and barely coveres the ground if needed, if we have Schneiderlin on the other hand he can cover the ground better than Fellaini and if he starts pressing higher with Herrera we might not need that pass from behind the ball but already be in a good position to set up the ball for Pogba or other attacking palyers in the final third. Right now Schneiderlin hasnt justified his starting spot but he can be more useful than Carrick if he finally gets going, his passing will be also good enough when he gains confidence back, he will also leave a lot of space for Herrera to make those passes and occasionally Pogba...

For teams sitting deep in current situation let's try with Carrick for the rest and in big games Id line up with Schneiderlin, Blind is something in between but after his good last season he'd deserve a shot there...

If we want to paly a passer from the back who cant cover the ground we might as well call Scholesy who'd still be level above Carrick anyday of the week..Lets also build for the future, if we decide to give game time to Carrick instead of Schneiderlin for example we might as well find a buyer for him next season, he deserves run of games, both palyers him and carrick would be now useful in different way...

Footyislife

As usual our ability to brake down the opponents solid defensive shape lies on players like Herrera with their vision or quick turns. It was obvious to see how much more he brings compare to Fellaini who just makes slow safe passes. Pogba needs to roam and be that driving force forwards while Herrera is pulling the strings. We need to consider playing Blind at the DM role as I think he's better defensively than Carrick and just as good at moving the ball around quickly.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Impossible to not love him!

Should be in the team just for his effort alone this season. I just can't understand why he hasn't started more league games, I thought he played himself in the team after the City match, but nope. Seems to be back to old form this season, has played well in every game he featured in. His energy and drive is just what the team is crying out for right now, I just hope Mou sees that too.

OldTrevil

The Pogba Schneiderlin Herrera trio will work great if given a couple of games. Schneiderlin is low on confidence and sharpness so he's currently playing more short passes to guys nearby, but that's not a big deal when those guys are Herrera and Pogba, both good and creative on the ball. And we all know everyone hasn't reached top form yet. Once Schneiderlin does, his accuracy will improve and he will hit more long/medium range passes.

Man Utd 4:1 Leicester

Traub

Jose is going to mould this lad into something important for us. He seems the type would do anything for the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.