Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
And this too. It should not be surprising that anyone would rather have Kante. He bossed the midfield for Leicester last year, so much so that they won the title and are now fighting relegation. And now he's bossing it for the team flying away with the league.

So how could it be stupid to suggest Kante is the better or more influential player?

We missed on Kante so it's going to have to be someone else now.
The post you quoted was critising Herreras creative aspects despite his having the most interceptions or one of the most in the league.

You would like Kante for exactly the same things Herrera does winning the ball back. So its ironic since his creative aspect is even less than Herreras

Now I wouldnt mind us uograding Herrera. Its the double standards I find interesting.

If you look at what we struggle with this season its certainly not winning the ball back in midfield. Its scoring goals. Kante isnt going to help with that and we dont have issues with winning the ball back

Philadelphian

The post you quoted was critising Herreras creative aspects despite his having the most interceptions or one of the most in the league.

You would like Kante for exactly the same things Herrera does winning the ball back. So its ironic since his creative aspect is even less than Herreras

Now I wouldnt mind us uograding Herrera. Its the double standards I find interesting.

If you look at what we struggle with this season its certainly not winning the ball back in midfield. Its scoring goals. Kante isnt going to help with that and we dont have issues with winning the ball back
I mean come on I've explained myself and it's quite obvious. If we could play 2 in the middle it would mean we could consistently play with an extra attacker be it Mata, Martial, Rashford etc. That is in effect having a positive influence on our attack.

POF

I partly disagree. I believe we moved away from 2 in central midfield also related to the CB department. 1. Blind & Bailly at the beginning of the season was well and all in passing and building up (not require Carrick role), but lack physicality meant Fellaini would be preferred; that in turn made our midfield worse at ball playing/ lack creativity/ static/ predictable with Fellaini most of the time tried to lay off the ball to other players. 2. Then Smalling back in to partner Bailly which means we were physical capable at the back, but Smalling and Fellaini can't build up play well. And Herrera started to get more game time. This doesn't really work well since Bailly despite being comfortable with the ball, his decision making with his passing is erratic & inconsistent, so we considered Carrick. Then the attacker positions were not doing too well also adding to the decision. 3. Now we had RoJones who struck a great partnership and quite capable building from the back so we likely less rely on Carrick in certain games. The problem now is with Pogba having poor form and we still can't solve some of the the attacking positions.
I agree with most of the above. Another reason for the transition and change in shape was a hard run of fixtures (home games against good sides and away games). Playing Carrick gave better control.

Mkhitaryan's amazing run of form was also a contributing factor as his goals and assists turned potential draws into wins.

There are a number of factors for the change in system but of any of United's midfield options Herrera is best suited to a midfield 2.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I mean come on I've explained myself and it's quite obvious. If we could play 2 in the middle it would mean we could consistently play with an extra attacker be it Mata, Martial, Rashford etc. That is in effect having a positive influence on our attack.
We can already

m1y2

He needs to be more creative. Carrick had 2 excellent passes in that first half that split open hull. Herrera should be making those too.
do you even watch
Herrera often plays well in the first half but then fizzles out and is completely ineffective in the 2nd half of games. Anyone else notice this?
Also his fouls in dangerous positions are infuriating.
it's actually stereotyping, he often has better second halfs, when the opposition tires. Surely he tires too over the season, he looked a little fresher before but still think he does a great job and can maintain that fitness to play to his good standards.. the little fouls you're talking about is exactly why he's there, what you don't understand about the job of a defensive midfielder? He's there to break up the play whether cleanly or with fouls. that yellow card on a halfway line for dragging the liverpool player was one of the best pieces of his play this season, yet some can't understand it..

and I haven't seen him making any fouls around our box lately, ppl are obsessed with discrediting some players for stuff which every player makes at times.. the other thing is shooting, sure he hasn't been in a shooting form lately but it's very sensible to take a shot from some of his positions, yet when takes one and doesnt score a goal, ppl almost want to sell him. it's part of the game, get over it...

JeffBoomTetris

that yellow card on a halfway line for dragging the liverpool player was one of the best pieces of his play this season, yet some can't understand it..
Forget this season. In last season's FA Cup semifinal against Everton, he stopped a dangerous counterattack by pulling Barkley's shirt. Some weren't happy with the foul while some others wanted him to chop off Barkley's legs with a sliding challenge.

The work he does in breaking the rhythm of the opponent isn't appreciated by everyone. And it's okay. But going down the other route and telling him off for doing his job correctly is quite confusing for me to understand

m1y2

Forget this season. In last season's FA Cup semifinal against Everton, he stopped a dangerous counterattack by pulling Barkley's shirt. Some weren't happy with the foul while some others wanted him to chop off Barkley's legs with a sliding challenge.

The work he does in breaking the rhythm of the opponent isn't appreciated by everyone. And it's okay. But going down the other route and telling him off for doing his job correctly is quite confusing for me to understand
well it is not and it should be, some people limit themselves to judge football only by goals and flashy things while they fail to understand that football is a very complex game. Its certainly to Herreras pros when he breaks up the play sometimes even using a foul

Frank Grimes

do you even watch

it's actually stereotyping, he often has better second halfs, when the opposition tires. Surely he tires too over the season, he looked a little fresher before but still think he does a great job and can maintain that fitness to play to his good standards.. the little fouls you're talking about is exactly why he's there, what you don't understand about the job of a defensive midfielder? He's there to break up the play whether cleanly or with fouls. that yellow card on a halfway line for dragging the liverpool player was one of the best pieces of his play this season, yet some can't understand it..

and I haven't seen him making any fouls around our box lately, ppl are obsessed with discrediting some players for stuff which every player makes at times.. the other thing is shooting, sure he hasn't been in a shooting form lately but it's very sensible to take a shot from some of his positions, yet when takes one and doesnt score a goal, ppl almost want to sell him. it's part of the game, get over it...
He gave a dangerous free away against Hull near the edge of our box in second half. I never heard anyone else say he tires in second half, that's my own opinion so not stereotyping at all.
He does lots of good things too and I don't slag him for shooting once in a while, just wish he was a touch better and feel we need a better midfielder to challenge for the PL again.

m1y2

He gave a dangerous free away against Hull near the edge of our box in second half. I never heard anyone else say he tires in second half, that's my own opinion so not stereotyping at all.
He does lots of good things too and I don't slag him for shooting once in a while, just wish he was a touch better and feel we need a better midfielder to challenge for the PL again.
he is good enough to win us title but he cant do it just himself, players around him have to do better, not him thats for sure. But I am really wasting my time here, ppl really seem to underappreciate the job of a defensive midfielder, you can as well say that Jones dont create enough, well hes a defender, with defensive duties, right?

as for the situation I dont remember that but I had a choppy stream but he shouldnt do that thats for sure, depending on situation sometimes its also good to concede a freekick rather than let the player score, but that happens..

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Like a few of our players I always feel he's hamstrung by not having a regular couple of wingers to look for.

We chop and change, and often our wingers are central, meaning we're awaiting Valencia storming in from miles away. It doesn't help.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
well it is not and it should be, some people limit themselves to judge football only by goals and flashy things while they fail to understand that football is a very complex game. Its certainly to Herreras pros when he breaks up the play sometimes even using a foul
You need to stop having so many feathers on yourself m1y2. There are a lot of knowledgeable posters on this forum you should stop thinking you are the only person who see's these things or in a band of a select few. When in reality you can have some weird opinions yourself and come over as a trumpet (as we all can).
For the record I don't think I'm right on everything so don't tar me with that comeback. All I'm saying is comedown from your ivory tower as it's nauseating and stop thinking you have some special insight that only a few can see. Plus the lengths you go to to defend Herrera makes you look like your not willing to budge from your opinion.
It reminds me of the love some had for Blind, that certainly not as high now or the annoyance for Rojo (me included) that certainly isn't there now. We all get things right and wrong you should be a bit more humble and remember this.

Frank Grimes

he is good enough to win us title but he cant do it just himself, players around him have to do better, not him thats for sure. But I am really wasting my time here, ppl really seem to underappreciate the job of a defensive midfielder, you can as well say that Jones dont create enough, well hes a defender, with defensive duties, right?

as for the situation I dont remember that but I had a choppy stream but he shouldnt do that thats for sure, depending on situation sometimes its also good to concede a freekick rather than let the player score, but that happens..
As a defensive midfielder he is not top tier, you liking him doesn't change that obvious fact.

m1y2

As a defensive midfielder he is not top tier, you liking him doesn't change that obvious fact.
hes not top tier but he has the most interception in the league? more than Kante who is also playing in a better, that can tell you something and he help to create the tempo we are playing with, hes pretty essential for that, everything is slow without him, he starts to press and he creates chances too... so hes a mix of everything but judging only by his defensive contribution hes up there with the best in the league which is good enough for me..

m1y2

You need to stop having so many feathers on yourself m1y2. There are a lot of knowledgeable posters on this forum you should stop thinking you are the only person who see's these things or in a band of a select few. When in reality you can have some weird opinions yourself and come over as a trumpet (as we all can).
For the record I don't think I'm right on everything so don't tar me with that comeback. All I'm saying is comedown from your ivory tower as it's nauseating and stop thinking you have some special insight that only a few can see. Plus the lengths you go to to defend Herrera makes you look like your not willing to budge from your opinion.
It reminds me of the love some had for Blind, that certainly not as high now or the annoyance for Rojo (me included) that certainly isn't there now. We all get things right and wrong you should be a bit more humble and remember this.
ppl have opinions I can understand that but it only has a value if its backed by some knowledge I cant see it from some ppl here. I hope I put it mildly enough for you. I am not expert either, I dont think I have special insights even but I can at least back it with my competetive footballing experience and I also coached my futsal team so I think along with tactics pretty well. some ppl evidently played football perhaps on play station and then there are ppl who are also biased , the worst is the combination of two... what can be irritating is something like you mentioned in some of your anti herrera agenda posts that he lacks leadership - thats simply shocking piece of shit, thats not an opinion, just shit..

there are ppl in your camp who dont rate him that highgly fine, I mean ppl who rate him and see what he does and how his performances affect our team gave up and dont really want to waste their time explaining guys like you the lie you re living. I will be humble now

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
ppl have opinions I can understand that but it only has a value if its backed by some knowledge I cant see it from some ppl here. I hope I put it mildly enough for you. I am not expert either, I dont think I have special insights even but I can at least back it with my competetive footballing experience and I also coached my futsal team so I think along with tactics pretty well. some ppl evidently played football perhaps on play station and then there are ppl who are also biased , the worst is the combination of two... what can be irritating is something like you mentioned in some of your anti herrera agenda posts that he lacks leadership - thats simply shocking piece of shit, thats not an opinion, just shit..

there are ppl in your camp who dont rate him that highgly fine, I mean ppl who rate him and see what he does and how his performances affect our team gave up and dont really want to waste their time explaining guys like you the lie you re living. I will be humble now
You think because you coached a futsal team that gives you a great insight into tactics at this level? Come on! I said Herrera lacks leadership as I go to the games (I don't watch on the TV) not that I have a problem with anyone who does and states an opinion a fans a fan in my view.
But when you're at a game you get a different perspective from watching on TV and you can follow play that the camera would not pick up as the camera follows the ball. Imo I see Herrera going into a shell too often when the chips are down. His passing range and choice of passing is also poor as I have stated. Is he a good player? Yes but very limited and we need better in that position long term. That's my opinion and by the way good on you for going to be humble.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
After some good performances this season, he has reverted back to playing how he has for the majority of his utd career.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
He is not good enough.
Good enough for what?
For being a star in a team challenging for the champions league? I'd agree on that.
For being a very good player in a team & squad challenging for the premier league? I'd disagree on that.

ElQuesoGrande

Great half of football. 4-5 really good interceptions and the kind of tackles Carrick is too scared to put in. Stupid pass but he's made up for it since

Man-United

Lost the ball twice so he must be bad here! Well, according to a couple of other posts..

Z_Wolf

Good enough for what?
For being a star in a team challenging for the champions league? I'd agree on that.
For being a very good player in a team & squad challenging for the premier league? I'd disagree on that.
He is not good enough to be a starter for a club with our aspirations.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
He is not good enough to be a starter for a club with our aspirations.
If you were talking about defense, I'd agree, but midfielders run a damn lot so we need players at his quality to start a fair amount of games along a season. He's a very good squad player to have, a few bad involvements won't change that.

Silas

Defensively he's been great this season, but on the ball he doesn't offer enough creativity imo. His lack of ability on the ball is what leads to Pogba having to drop deep when Carrick isn't playing. He's been an important part of the team this season but I do think we should recruit an upgrade if possible.

Wishe

He offers alot more than any of our other midfielders thats for sure.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Only player who has started the second half poorly for us I think.
One of the worst performances for him I've seen (so far) today, just hoping it doesn't hurt his confidence now.

Devil may care

I've said it before but to me no one's game suffers more without Carrick than Ander's, he was all over the place at times today leaving Pogba with the #6 responsibilities.

Sylar

He does have a few lax moments (put us into trouble twice). But also does what I wish some others would do, take one for the team when were in trouble.
I do think hes suited more to a 433 cos he can press high, but he does link up well with Mata and Tony V.
Thought he did fine overall though.

Kag

Herrera is brilliant and our midfield is as good as it's been in years. Week in, week out, he does his job to a tee.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The lad does the dirty work, which quite often is unattractive and more to the point unappreciated. As someone else said he will take a booking to get us out of trouble. At least he didn't have to shoot today. His passing is usually just to keep the tempo up not the defence splitting stuff, nobody has 100% pass accuracy, but some will not be happy until we find that player.

izec

He is good at tackling and his defensive side of the game is fine. His passing is inconsistent and his constant backpassing is getting on my nerves. It is fine to do it when you get pressed, but he does it most of the time automatically, even if he has space and time. A lot of times there is a forward or sideway pass the better option, but he just drills it back. Van Gaal would be proud, but i dont like it at all. There is room for him to improve.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
The lad does the dirty work, which quite often is unattractive and more to the point unappreciated. As someone else said he will take a booking to get us out of trouble. At least he didn't have to shoot today. His passing is usually just to keep the tempo up not the defence splitting stuff, nobody has 100% pass accuracy, but some will not be happy until we find that player.
Does not stop running. Incredible energy. Love watching Ander play.

kundalini

Far too many instinctive back-passes without any thought to whether he had other options available to him. Apart from that I thought he was ok.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah, he made some mistakes but, overall, I thought he was good. I love Carrick but I'd like to see Herrera just behind Pogba and Mkhi in a midfield 3, with the latter two as some sort of 8 and a half hybrid thingamajigy against Watford. They all link-up so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.