Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lopiop

Herrera was immense. Why because pogba alongside doesn't track runners and his defensive positioning is usually awful. Plus pogba usually doesn't put honest pressure on opponents, like his pressing seems half hearted.

Herrera seems to be the only midfielder that can get "stuck in" besides fellaini in our team.

Eric Chin

I dont understand how can anyone say he hasn't had a great game, he won again so any balls despite Pogba being really terrible in that midfield in the first half and basically set up all three goals, great piece of skill for the first one, great interception for the second, and great assist for the third one, so we can excuse some of his misplaced passes, when Pogba does it every game, passing wise there were even worse performers, but those assists alone should get him on the second place after Zlatan as a MOTM,

don't think we were good overall but he maintain his very good standard again, which is why he's a key player for us and currently irreplacable
According to whoscore.com.He's exactly rated 2nd best(8.3)after Ibra (8.8)

Gladiator

It's actually 2 assist. He was also the one who got the freekick that led to Zlatan's first goal. If I'm not wrong, that rewards a assist.

Herrera is a great contributor to this team and is doing a tremendous job this season. Mourinho has allowed him to get several matches in a row. One of the several things under van Gaal was that Herrera never got several matches in a row, so he could build up a confidence and a good match fitness.

Fantastic player and a good lad, even though he sometimes can be a bit theatrical.

Imagine if we had a midfield of Kante, Herrera and Pogba. It would boss the PL totally. Sad that we lost Kante to Chelsea.
this is not true

Ashley R1+O

He was magnificent. I think he'll be the heartbeat for us for a while yet, that cross was fantastic.

Ixion

I love this guy and I'm glad things are going so well for him now after a couple of mixed seasons. He does need to sort out the playacting though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Zlatan took the credit but Herrera won us that game in the end with that cross. He put it on a plate for Zlatan, even I would've scored from that brilliant cross.

dogwithabone

Cross of the season.

Ironic given that Saints bombarded us with great cross after great cross but none quite as sumptuous as Herrera's.

3KDré

There's been a lot of talk recently on the Caf about the 'United DNA' and a lack of British players in the starting lineup.

In honesty it seems to me that more than anyone else in the team the people with the most 'United DNA' are Herrera, Valencia and Ibra. All three of which are foreigners. They were our best players yesterday, I thought.

djembatheking

Love the guy , great engine , great desire but needs to cut out the theatrics , feckin embarrassing .

Devil may care

My MOTM, he was everywhere in the midfield scrap and was the one taking responsibility tracking runs.

Golden Nugget

I love the guy... I'd hate him so much of he played for another club though - kicks a player, rolls around and the guy he kicks gets carded for it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
ran around alot. I admire his passion, commitment and energy which reminds me of Ji Sung Park

Sadly, his skills are also of that level, I doubt he is good enough to win us serious trophies so we'll need to upgrade soon, with him playing a very valuable squad role along with Fellaini.

Philadelphian

Has all the annoying qualities of Busquets and none of the redeeming ones that win you things.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
ran around alot. I admire his passion, commitment and energy which reminds me of Ji Sung Park

Sadly, his skills are also of that level, I doubt he is good enough to win us serious trophies so we'll need to upgrade soon, with him playing a very valuable squad role along with Fellaini.
He's well above an average ball winning midfielder in terms of technical ability. Not wanting to start another comparison conversation but when you see the praise players like Kanté and Bakayoko get (deservedly so) it's misplaced to question the technical aspects of his game.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He's well above an average ball winning midfielder in terms of technical ability. Not wanting to start another comparison conversation but when you see the praise players like Kanté and Bakayoko get (deservedly so) it's misplaced to question the technical aspects of his game.
Park was world class water carrier and I don't consider it an unworthy position. So if Herrera became as good as park in that capacity, its an achievement and key squad need post Carrick.

But I think PL/CL winning teams require more constantly skilful players at no 8. Herrera makes too many incomplete forward passes and not many goal creating passes (e.g. like Scholes or Xavi). There is a reason he has been a mainstay in a squad that has finished 4th, 5th and is currently 6th.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I love the guy... I'd hate him so much of he played for another club though - kicks a player, rolls around and the guy he kicks gets carded for it.
He's a cartoon villain at this point. Cheating, conniving, devious and despicable fecker. Love it.

On a side note, I've heard some opposition fans saying they wish their own players had some of his divillment. Was an Arsenal fan saying Hererra would never have let Hazard bounce off him the way Coquelin did. Rugby tackle the twat, take a card, job done.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Park was world class water carrier and I don't consider it an unworthy position. So if Herrera became as good as park in that capacity, its an achievement and key squad need post Carrick.

But I think PL/CL winning teams require more constantly skilful players at no 8. Herrera makes too many incomplete forward passes and not many goal creating passes (e.g. like Scholes or Xavi). There is a reason he has been a mainstay in a squad that has finished 4th, 5th and is currently 6th.
That's what Pogba is in the team for. He's the Scholes, the Xavi. Herrera is the bloke who wins the ball back for the team, and at least statically speaking, he's better than anyone else in the league right now at doing that.

I often think that if Herrera had less technical ability and less ambition on the ball he would actually be rated higher. He wouldn't be compared to players in the mould of those aforementioned players but more so as a ball winner, which he's incredibly good at.

LouisDanGaal

I thought people were joking when they said others on here were calling for a replacement than Herrera.

He offers a lot more than any of our other midfielders, he isn't the one we need an upgrade on.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
That's what Pogba is in the team for. He's the Scholes, the Xavi. Herrera is the bloke who wins the ball back for the team, and at least statically speaking, he's better than anyone else in the league right now at doing that.

I often think that if Herrera had less technical ability and less ambition on the ball he would actually be rated higher. He wouldn't be compared to players in the mould of those aforementioned players but more so as a ball winner, which he's incredibly good at.
So we agree that he can perform the no 6 role :) I agree he should focus purely on that and not try to be fanciful.

He still needs to improve in that role: not as efficient as Carrick at stealing the ball or breaking up opposition play. But he has the right attributes to become the midfield cornerstone.

If only Pogba could quickly mature into the world class no 8 many thought he already was. Because without a properly functioning no 8, Herrera's workload increases even more making his role virtually impossible.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I thought people were joking when they said others on here were calling for a replacement than Herrera.

He offers a lot more than any of our other midfielders, he isn't the one we need an upgrade on.
As a no 6, we can build from him. But as I wrote above, whilst Pogba under delivers in his role, it makes Herrera role very difficult as the 2 of them cant deliver as a duo in big games, thus requiring Carrick.

Sylar

Herrera is the Busquets to Pogbas Xavi (eventually).
I like that he has the dark arts added to his game. might annoy some, but stuff like grabbing Barkleys shirt in the FA Cup semi final last year is just as important as stuff like him getting the assist for the winner minutes later.

Thought he was good today given what the game was. Most teams would struggle to play good football on that pitch as Bayern found out earlier in the season.

criticalanalysis

He still needs to improve in that role: not as efficient as Carrick at stealing the ball or breaking up opposition play.
Carrick can have a 100% efficiency rating and it still wouldn't be jack as his passiveness means he only attempts a few tackles/interceptions per game. Carrick is world class positionally speaking because his default mentality is to get behind the man and sit in front of the back four. That's both a compliment and criticism. Fletcher outshone him and so has Herrera this year. Carrick's best years has been when he's in the background because he is a background player.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
ran around a lot. I admire his passion, commitment and energy which reminds me of Ji Sung Park
No faulting his work rate that's for sure & you have to say he's cunning at times. :drool:
We need a really strong & reliable LB. That will help him improve quickly (as I think he has already) He seems to play better for instance when Blind is behind him. That and perhaps a more consistent CB pairing would provide the stability that would allow him to raise his game even more.

shield

The was a very good performance.

The way I see it is, given the pitch and the conditions, anyone having a decent game should be absoved of any critisism. He excells in ball movement and yesterday the strategy was to play aerially and he still played well.

I was more dissapointed with Pogba becuase he did very little but Herrera and even Fellaini were doing bulk of the midfield work.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Got targeted by Hazard twice. Clearly a premeditated move from him and Chelsea. Can't fault them for it if you're looking at it objectively and ruthlessly either. 2 soft bookings that we can argue till the cows come home but if the boot was on the other foot, we'd be wanting the same.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Idiot.

Completely deserved second yellow and you just knew he was gonna get sent off the moment he got his first yellow.

Traub

Not worthy of a second yellow but you don't make challenges like that on a yellow. You don't see Kante doing that.
That's because Kante doesn't get booked for people running into him.

Anyway, how many games does he miss?

Minimalist

Herrera's fault ultimately - whether Hazard's diving or Oliver is a tit.

He's a good midfielder but he's always liable for a red as we've seen this season. Not sure his performances are good enough to put up with the discipline issues.

Ainu

It was completely brainless. Oliver had just given Jones a lengthy talking to for persistently fouling Hazard and he proceeds to foul Hazard mere moments after play was resumed. Yes it's soft but it's also ridiculously stupid by Herrera. He's let the team down massively here.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Fool.

We were doing far better than I thought we would and now we have to put up with about an hour of Chelsea pinning us back before inevitably losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.