Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

Between him and Pogba for MoTM for me.

It’s a shame it hasn’t worked out for him, as the Pogba, Matic and Herrera midfield on paper has a bit of everything.

Hope he’s back to his best next season.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He isn't the right player for this coach.

His attributes would be ideal for a forward thinking manager. A midfielder who loves pressing and is generally tenacious but with a great eye for a pass. Imagine Herrera in a high pressing team, he would look sensational.
Absolutely spot on RedStar. Herrera regularly churned out performances, like he did against Man Utd, for Bilbao. He was brilliant under Marco Bielsa. And if you listen to Herrera he can not speak highly enough of the mad bastard.

I always felt like Herrera was a bit stifled for one reason or another at Man Utd. He had all the makings of becoming a world class, well rounded midfielder - he still is a well rounded midfielder but I expected something a bit more. Maybe more consistency from his first season under Mourinho. personally blame van Gaal for making him into a fecking bot that passes sideways.

Last edited:

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
MOTM and you come in with this.
Do you not agree? Or would you rather see us keep blaming formation or managers. I’d rather the players took more of the responsibility. Like we did last night. For the record Herrera was decent last night but his limitations were there on display for all to see (passing needs to be better) and Pogba was man of the match. Watching Herrera first half drop between the two central defenders to play square back and forth is not his forte with his skill set granted but it was about to take us to new levels of turgidness.

Yagami

Good post resistant
As usual he's so much better as our DM. Keep him there and have Matic as our box to box player please.

Lawman

I accept he doesn't rate him, though I don't know why, but for this to be his only contribution immediately after being the best player on the pitch is baffling.
Sorry buddy you picked my post up wrong probably because it was short and isolated to be fair (I had company in the house so was kind of red cafe visiting limited) But I was meaning let’s judge on performances we see rather than make excuses for player after player. I thought Herrera was decent against Bournemouth absolutely nothing more than that. He’s not suited in my opinion as s 6 as I’ve mentioned a few times so I’ll leave it at that. Won’t be popular opinion and maybe in the minority but I think we need better than Herrera.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Do you not agree? Or would you rather see us keep blaming formation or managers. I’d rather the players took more of the responsibility. Like we did last night. For the record Herrera was decent last night but his limitations were there on display for all to see (passing needs to be better) and Pogba was man of the match. Watching Herrera first half drop between the two central defenders to play square back and forth is not his forte with his skill set granted but it was about to take us to new levels of turgidness.
And you thought that was relevant only in the Herrera thread? Or am I to find that same post in ever other player thread?

No he was the best player on the pitch, hence why the caf voted as such. He won the ball back more than anyone else, completed more passes than anyone else, and was directly involved in both our goals.

Yeah the way he continually found the gap between the lines and that delightful pass for the first goal really displayed the weakness in the game.

Lawman

And you thought that was relevant only in the Herrera thread? Or am I to find that same post in ever other player thread?

No he was the best player on the pitch, hence why the caf voted as such. He won the ball back more than anyone else, completed more passes than anyone else, and was directly involved in both our goals.

Yeah the way he continually found the gap between the lines and that delightful pass for the first goal really displayed the weakness in the game.
Fair enough on first point as was a bit random. He did play a great ball to Lingard for the goal with a little slide rule pass (he has this in his locker, as well as a beautiful curling cross and a great first touch turn) but if you think Herrera is a good passer of the ball then I don’t know what to say to you.

ivaldo

Fair enough on first point as was a bit random. He did play a great ball to Lingard for the goal with a little slide rule pass (he has this in his locker, as well as a beautiful curling cross and a great first touch turn) but if you think Herrera is a good passer of the ball then I don’t know what to say to you.
So why were you compelled to put that specifically in the Herrera thread and not elsewhere. Doesn't that tell you something.

Except he plays those passes all the while.

Lawman

So why were you compelled to put that specifically in the Herrera thread and not elsewhere. Doesn't that tell you something.

Except he plays those passes all the while.
What is this the Spanish Inquisition Ivaldo? Come on It’s a football forum where opinions are posted no? Don’t get all arsey if my opinion doesn’t conform to you that’s what that tells me. I’m not a Herrera fan he’s very limited in his play and if you think he plays slide rule passes all game then we are watching different players.

ivaldo

What is this the Spanish Inquisition Ivaldo? Come on It’s a football forum where opinions are posted no? Don’t get all arsey if my opinion doesn’t conform to you that’s what that tells me. I’m not a Herrera fan he’s very limited in his play and if you think he plays slide rule passes all game then we are watching different players.
No it's not. It's a pretty simple question that you've refused to answer, and we both know why. It's strange behavior indeed!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Clear MOTM last night, had a fantastic game.

Shame Jose subbed him so early almost like he didn't acknowledge the great job he was doing.

No coincidence either that his best performance came from DM? He's got a good knack of reading the game and knicking the ball away.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't know how you think Herrera is limited in his play and then in other thread you post that we should sign Dier. Dier is even more limited.

Lawman

I don't know how you think Herrera is limited in his play and then in other thread you post that we should sign Dier. Dier is even more limited.
Dier is a far better player than Herrera it’s not even close. I’m not sure you’ll find many Spurs fans fancying that swap.

roonster09

Scout
Dier is a far better player than Herrera it’s not even close. I’m not sure you’ll find many Spurs fans fancying that swap.
Who cares what Spurs fans think, don't think Arsenal fans will swap Ramsey for Pogba, doesn't mean they are correct.

There is nothing in Dier's game that makes him better than Herrera except his versatility to play CB. His passing is even more limited.

Edit: Few spurs fans here also said they wouldn't swap Lloris for De Gea.

Lawman

Who cares what Spurs fans think, don't think Arsenal fans will swap Ramsey for Pogba, doesn't mean they are correct.

There is nothing in Dier's game that makes him better than Herrera except his versatility to play CB. His passing is even more limited.
Think you’d find most Arsenal fans would swap and why would you not care what Spurs fans opinions were when they watch Dier every week so their opinion would probably be more informative. But any way Dier in my opinion is better at reading a game, more physically imposing, better leadership qualities, better overall passing game. I think he’s a very good player and would love him at United much like I said with Matic (before his signature) and the difference for me between Matic and Herrera is about the same with Dier and Herrera.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I don't even rate Herrera that much, but there's nothing between Dier and Herrera as far as quality goes. How many United fans would fancy a swap between Herrera and Dier? I'd guess the answer would be in a minority.

Lawman

I don't even rate Herrera that much, but there's nothing between Dier and Herrera as far as quality goes. How many United fans would fancy a swap between Herrera and Dier? I'd guess the answer would be in a minority.
I’d honestly be stunned if that was the case and I’m being genuine.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He was very good last night. His dynamism was superb and unlike at his worst, when he looks chained to the DM position unable to do anything to get us going forward, he was able to affect us positively higher up the pitch as well as doing lots of good work regaining and spreading the ball in and around our half.

He has to take responsibility for his poor form. Though I believe managerial instructions from both Jose and LVG played a role ultimately Herrera was the one disappearing in games and failing to do the basics. If he's over that now and we have something resembling 16/17 Herrera back then I'm delighted, as I want him to make it here.

roonster09

Scout
Think you’d find most Arsenal fans would swap and why would you not care what Spurs fans opinions were when they watch Dier every week so their opinion would probably be more informative. But any way Dier in my opinion is better at reading a game, more physically imposing, better leadership qualities, better overall passing game. I think he’s a very good player and would love him at United much like I said with Matic (before his signature) and the difference for me between Matic and Herrera is about the same with Dier and Herrera.
Like I said few Spurs fans also said they won't swap Lloris for De Gea.

You are just overrating Dier and underrating Herrera.

GazTheLegend

Clear MOTM last night, had a fantastic game.

Shame Jose subbed him so early almost like he didn't acknowledge the great job he was doing.
You do realise that it was probably the biggest compliment Jose could give Herrera?

He was taken off because he’s being saved for Saturday vs Spurs.

Classical Mechanic

You won’t find an objective opinion on Dier on here. He’s a bit of an arse and is English, grounds for most to hate him.

Different kind of player though surely. Dier is a leader and controls the game better with his passing but Herrera is better in attacking positions.

I think Dier would be more coveted across football mind.

Andersons Dietician

He isn't the right player for this coach.

His attributes would be ideal for a forward thinking manager. A midfielder who loves pressing and is generally tenacious but with a great eye for a pass. Imagine Herrera in a high pressing team, he would look sensational.
Imagine him in that Liverpool team. He has an eye for those slipped through passes as well. He was fantastic at Bilbao. The season before he joined us he played a lot behind the striker. Bielsa’s Bilbao were actually an amazing team.

Have to say on last nights performance I thought he was decent but there were a lot of times he was beaten easily in challenges, spun a lot and lost his man so bit of a mixed bag for myself but just him in the team improves link up. He’s made quite a few passes like last night through out his time here and even that chest bump in to Pogba for the goal against City he’s just has a broader picture of what is happening around him. I love the tenacity he shows as well, great player.

Lawman

Offensive? What have I said to offend you? :houllier:
I already answered your question in the first post so not sure what or why you’re implying I have not answered you. A poster posted that he wasn’t with the right type of manager and he’s more of this type of player etc I replied it’s time we stopped making excuses for our players and judge them on their performances. What in the world is wrong with that? Don’t you agree with this?

Lougie86

Supports
Partick Thistle
Dier is one of the most overrated players in the league. If he wasn't English nobody would rave about him. Very limited on the ball and cumbersome in his movement of it.

Lawman

Imagine him in that Liverpool team. He has an eye for those slipped through passes as well. He was fantastic at Bilbao. The season before he joined us he played a lot behind the striker. Bielsa’s Bilbao were actually an amazing team.

Have to say on last nights performance I thought he was decent but there were a lot of times he was beaten easily in challenges, spun a lot and lost his man so bit of a mixed bag for myself but just him in the team improves link up. He’s made quite a few passes like last night through out his time here and even that chest bump in to Pogba for the goal against City he’s just has a broader picture of what is happening around him. I love the tenacity he shows as well, great player.
He’s not a great player though is he lets be honest. He’s done what since being here for almost 4-5 years. His passing game anything over 15-20 yards leaves a lot to be desired. He’s better further up pressing I agree as he plays better when instinctively. He does have some great facets to his game with his slide rule pass excellent, his curling cross from 40 yards out and his first touch turn is brilliant but unfortunately it’s been proven it’s not enough here to cement a place in a team that’s been struggling to average in this area during his time here.

Lawman

Dier is one of the most overrated players in the league. If he wasn't English nobody would rave about him. Very limited on the ball and cumbersome in his movement of it.
Yeah I wasn’t his biggest fan to start with so can see why people don’t rave about him but more I watched him play the more I rated him. Would love him at United for his leadership qualities his defence attributes both in midfield and defensively bet he’d be brilliant for us so hopefully we sign him.

ivaldo

I already answered your question in the first post so not sure what or why you’re implying I have not answered you. A poster posted that he wasn’t with the right type of manager and he’s more of this type of player etc I replied it’s time we stopped making excuses for our players and judge them on their performances. What in the world is wrong with that? Don’t you agree with this?
You just said it was 'a bit random'. Still, I think it's revealing this was the total sum of your contribution here in the player performance thread. Why can't you just be objective when he has a good game?

Lawman

You just said it was 'a bit random'. Still, I think it's revealing this was the total sum of your contribution here in the player performance thread. Why can't you just be objective when he has a good game?
Be objective? I said he was decent last night if you read my posts so don’t be going making up stuff now. He was a mixed bag ranging from really good to poor last night but as the game went on he grew better into it. But watching him try to build play from the back is reminiscent of Henderson at Liverpool and that’s not for me. So you can stop your little posting spree to me because I don’t agree that Herrera is good enough to be here first 11 long term? Yet how many managers has he been through now and never cemented a place in the 11 in a midfield that’s been toiling during his time here. Yes I see what you mean I must be the mad one with the crazy opinions on here. How many more managers can be wrong on him.

Where were you during the games he’s been poor in (most this season) or are you waiting to post once he’s been half decent?
Exactly not the nicest thing to say but in line with your posting today and to be honest a bit disappointing ffs.

ivaldo

Be objective? I said he was decent last night if you read my posts so don’t be going making up stuff now. He was a mixed bag ranging from really good to poor last night but as the game went on he grew better into it. But watching him try to build play from the back is reminiscent of Henderson at Liverpool and that’s not for me. So you can stop your little posting spree to me because I don’t agree that Herrera is good enough to be here first 11 long term? Yet how many managers has he been through now and never cemented a place in the 11 in a midfield that’s been toiling during his time here. Yes I see what you mean I must be the mad one with the crazy opinions on here. How many more managers can be wrong on him.

Where were you during the games he’s been poor in (most this season) or are you waiting to post once he’s been half decent?
Exactly not the nicest thing to say but in line with your posting today and to be honest a bit disappointing ffs.
No, it is possible to say a player played well without criticising him. Just take a moment and look through your posts on him. It's hilarious reading. Show me a wholly positive post.

Andersons Dietician

He’s not a great player though is he lets be honest. He’s done what since being here for almost 4-5 years. His passing game anything over 15-20 yards leaves a lot to be desired. He’s better further up pressing I agree as he plays better when instinctively. He does have some great facets to his game with his slide rule pass excellent, his curling cross from 40 yards out and his first touch turn is brilliant but unfortunately it’s been proven it’s not enough here to cement a place in a team that’s been struggling to average in this area during his time here.
Did he not win player of the year last year? Granted given the form of our team that isn’t saying much but for spells he was great last year. He was great under Bielsa.
Think he is just another player we don’t get the best out of due to tactics.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You do realise that it was probably the biggest compliment Jose could give Herrera?

He was taken off because he’s being saved for Saturday vs Spurs.
We shall see I guess, I personally wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't start, but I hope he will.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We shall see I guess, I personally wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't start, but I hope he will.
I'm as pessimistic as they come in regards to United but, like @GazTheLegend said, I took it as a compliment, too. I'm 99% sure he'll start against Spurs and the substitute was in order to keep him fresh for it.

redflair

I do think the early injury he got at Sevilla was a hammer blow to us. He fancied showcasing a few skills to his native land in a huge knockout tie but unfortuntely got an injury early on - meaning we had to rely on Fellaini and others for the second leg etc...

All ifs and buts, of course, but I think we might have sneaked through if he'd played both legs.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Played great yesterday and i'm assuming he's going to be starting on Saturday as he went off early. When he's on his game he seems to be the only one who closes down aggressively. He has great energy in that midfield that we lack a lot of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.