5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Add to this, we actually play seven games between September 9th-30th, including the Burton League Cup game that will no doubt see almost a full change to the starting line-up and away trips to Stoke, Southampton and CSKA Moscow where I expect us to play 433.
Precisely. His position disappeared because we have switched to a two man midfield and Matic was signed. Ander did a grand job there last season, but it is not his best position which comes back in certain games where a three man midfield is used. There might be games Fellaini used, but his impact seems to be off the bench to give teams something else to think about.

finneh

It's blatantly obvious to me that it's the games that have dictated Herrera's absence, not the player.

There will be many games this season where Jose opts for a 4-3-3 and in these games Herrera will be invaluable. Likewise there will be games where Herrera will partner Pogba.

The fixture list (post Super Cup) has given us 3 games easy enough not to need the protection of Herrera but difficult enough to need the protection of Matic. West Ham and Leicester being top 10 sides on paper, with Swansea being away from home.

Akshay

Staff
@yfoFC says:

@Lawman, You've been saying we need an upgrade on Herrera for quite a while now but last season he was our best midfielder and player in a team that fielded Paul Pogba the then world's most expensive player.. If that does not speak of his quality then I don't know what else will

Also, you mention that our 2-man midfield was weak last season but it was the second best part our play after our rock solid defence. The problem last season was not our midfield but our attack which continuously flopped its lines and cost us wins

I could go down @ivaldo's route and explain how Herrera being dropped is not a mark against his abilities but it seems it has done no good thus far so I will try another method.

Just take a look at the Swansea game to provide a case in point, up until rashford broke the deadlock via a set piece you could virtually interchange that game with the numerous games we drew at OT last season; Man Utd dominating play, the opposition keeper having a blinder and then we end up drawing the match

The point I'm trying to make is our spectacular start to the season is more down to our finishing from other players and the "upgrade" in our attack in the form of lukaku for zlatan (that is more visible in our first two games) ... So the fact that lukaku is better for our team than zlatan, does that detract from zlatan's ability like it seems to do for herrera's?

Don't get me wrong, matic is a better partner for pogba than herrera but herrera's abilities are not that of a squad player like fellani.. Another question, is Muller now a squad player material now that his position has been eroded under Ancelloti?

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Herrera is losing out to the creativity of Mikhitaryan if you ask me. Despite the latter offering precious little for long periods during a game, he manages to create goals, something we definitely need against lesser opposition as we shouldn't be dropping points to the likes of Swansea and West Ham. I think we'll see Ander starting in the bigger games as Henrik's missing periods will be punished by higher quality opposition.

Sir Roi de Muppeterre

@yfoFC says:

@Lawman, You've been saying we need an upgrade on Herrera for quite a while now but last season he was our best midfielder and player in a team that fielded Paul Pogba the then world's most expensive player.. If that does not speak of his quality then I don't know what else will

Also, you mention that our 2-man midfield was weak last season but it was the second best part our play after our rock solid defence. The problem last season was not our midfield but our attack which continuously flopped its lines and cost us wins

I could go down @ivaldo's route and explain how Herrera being dropped is not a mark against his abilities but it seems it has done no good thus far so I will try another method.

Just take a look at the Swansea game to provide a case in point, up until rashford broke the deadlock via a set piece you could virtually interchange that game with the numerous games we drew at OT last season; Man Utd dominating play, the opposition keeper having a blinder and then we end up drawing the match

The point I'm trying to make is our spectacular start to the season is more down to our finishing from other players and the "upgrade" in our attack in the form of lukaku for zlatan (that is more visible in our first two games) ... So the fact that lukaku is better for our team than zlatan, does that detract from zlatan's ability like it seems to do for herrera's?

Don't get me wrong, matic is a better partner for pogba than herrera but herrera's abilities are not that of a squad player like fellani.. Another question, is Muller now a squad player material now that his position has been eroded under Ancelloti?
Completely agree.

Thing is, right now is the worst time for this kind of discussion. Matic is our brand new signing, people are very high on him and we have done splendidly in last few games where he has started. So its very easy for people who don't rate Herrera highly to go "We are playing better because of Matic, thus he is better than Herrera". I can list 10 reasons why we are better this season other than Matic being more suited for our current tactics.

None of this discussions matter anyway. We have both of them. In fact, we now have the strongest midfielder we have had in many years and I am just glad about the fact.

It is undeniable that Herrera played massive part in our two trophy wins last season so there's really no need to downplay him even if he is a lesser player to Matic just so you can say "I told you so" for brownie points on internet.

rocks13

Seems to be completely out of favour now with even Fellaini ahead of him. Might get a run out in the League Cup I suppose.

3KDré

Jose is the type to play certain players for certain set ups and situations. He brings Fellaini on so that we're more solid aerially. Herrera will play in the big games I am sure of it.

yfoFC

Completely agree.

Thing is, right now is the worst time for this kind of discussion. Matic is our brand new signing, people are very high on him and we have done splendidly in last few games where he has started. So its very easy for people who don't rate Herrera highly to go "We are playing better because of Matic, thus he is better than Herrera". I can list 10 reasons why we are better this season other than Matic being more suited for our current tactics.

None of this discussions matter anyway. We have both of them. In fact, we now have the strongest midfielder we have had in many years and I am just glad about the fact.

It is undeniable that Herrera played massive part in our two trophy wins last season so there's really no need to downplay him even if he is a lesser player to Matic just so you can say "I told you so" for brownie points on internet.

You are absolutely correct that this is not the best time for such discussions as the season will wear out the shiny gloss in which our new players will be looked at (sadly doesn't seem to be the case for lindelof)

It's just the view of herrera as some squad player that just irks me but imma just sit back now for him to prove people wrong (again!)

And you're right, this is absolutely the best midfield we've had in years and so excited to have everyone including fellani (never thought I'd say that in my lifetime) playing their part..

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Jose is the type to play certain players for certain set ups and situations. He brings Fellaini on so that we're more solid aerially. Herrera will play in the big games I am sure of it.
He will and most likely with a special mission. He's perfect for that and overall, he should get enough games

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
@yfoFC says:

In my opinion Pogba was our best midfielder last season not Herrera but price tags set expectations. Herrera had a good season no doubt but the guy is seriously limited in a 2 man midfield. He will do a good job in a 3 but we needed an upgrade and have one in Matic no doubt. We played 2 in midfield many times last season and were not always great since Matic has come in we look much more secure compared to when Herrera played.
Yes I agree Lukaku is better suited for us but we have dominated games this year and looked far more balanced than we were last year. Anyone saying it's not Herrera that's been dropped its his position is just wrong as Matic has replaced him in a 2. Yes I think Herrera will have a part to play hopefully a big part but we needed someone better and Matic is clearly better and that's been the case for a few years not just the last 3 games. Jose seems to think the same also.
Muller question is pointless.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Playing Herrera away to Stoke and Mata at home to Basel would make a lot of sense to my mind.

Mickfoley

He'll be so pumped. Fabio level pumped. I say red card at 60th minute mark.

Pyro19

Him and Matic have completely bossed the midfield.

Our attack especially from the wide leaves much to be desired today.

Eddy_JukeZ

I also think he's been poor in possession. Would sub him off to go for the win.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He has 20 passes more than both Pogba and Matic, and couple of very good forward passes that led to good chances. One excellent pass to Lukaku and couple of good ones to Valencia. Easily one of our better players in the first half, if not the best.

Kag

Opinions...

He's been the only midfielder to play a forward ball, contributing to the very few chances we've created thus far.

Jib

We missed Fellaini tonight. Herrera was poor, not good enough !

Minimalist

He worked hard but I thought he was poor. We might aswell stick with Matic and Pogba in a two.

Silas

Started ok, but I didn't notice him in the 2nd half.

Kapardin

We missed Fellaini tonight.
Yup, by far a better midfielder than Herrera who also scores important goals at times, but he doesn't get credit because he doesn't look as pretty.

It was Ander's first game back, so won't crucify him. But he needs to step up significantly, his inclusion pretty much cost us today.

Litch

Showed how less dynamic we are without Mata. Started with same team, would have won. Also big Fella would have been useful at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.