Ander Herrera Revisited

bludsucker

Lots took the piss out of him when he left, league winner and bossing it in CL final 12 months later. Am guessing Ander has proved his point!
He actually hasn’t. Just heard the commentator say he has started just six league games this season. For the reported salary he is on our fans would have gone mad and would have been baying for his blood long before tonight.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nah, Herrera is a better overall player and certainly a miles better passer.
Better, but it’s much of a muchness. I definitely wouldn’t say he’s “miles better” at passing, either. Corkers tonight notwithstanding.

pacifictheme

He actually hasn’t. Just heard the commentator say he has started just six league games this season. For the reported salary he is on our fans would have gone mad and would have been baying for his blood long before tonight.
Like Jonathan greening, treble winner.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Got player of the season for us, then was replaced from the starting 11 with an inferior and older player (Matic) then replaced from the squad for an inferior player who we paid 50m for. Can't blame him for leaving, took too long for someone to value him properly.

pacifictheme

Better, but it’s much of a muchness. I definitely wouldn’t say he’s “miles better” at passing, either. Corkers tonight notwithstanding.
Herrera has always had a nice pass in the final third, but most of his best attributes suggest he should play deeper, and he is generally awful under pressure in his own third. Just a very odd player.

bludsucker

Got player of the season for us, then was replaced from the starting 11 with an inferior and older player (Matic) then replaced from the squad for an inferior player who we paid 50m for. Can't blame him for leaving, took too long for someone to value him properly.
Living up to your tag line it seems if you think Herrera is better than Bruno.
P.S: It’s still a toss up between Fred and Herrera which Fred just about wins imo.

binary bot
He should have been signed way before then end of his contract. He probably would have signed for leas than 150k a week if we did. We fecked up
Has this been reported or is it just speculation?

We have regularly overpaid for shit over the last few years, i find it surprising that we suddenly baulked at Herrera, unless he was asking a ridiculous amount.

People want to have their cake and eat it by not overpaying for players but at the same time giving into others. You'll never be 100% successful when moving players on.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He should have been signed way before then end of his contract. He probably would have signed for leas than 150k a week if we did. We fecked up
Someone at the club clearly thought Fred was younger and better and there was no need to secure Herrera. Its clear the senior management never expected the likes of PSG to come in for him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Someone at the club clearly thought Fred was younger and better and there was no need to secure Herrera. Its clear the senior management never expected the likes of PSG to come in for him.
Hence why I said we fecked up. That is what you call squad miss-management

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
PSG dropping off massively here... Probably looking for to catch them on the break instead of winning it high up.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Living up to your tag line it seems if you think Herrera is better than Bruno.
P.S: It’s still a toss up between Fred and Herrera which Fred just about wins imo.
How on earth did you get Bruno from that??
Talking about Matic. Herrera as the holding mid in 16/17 was our player of the season in our best post Fergie season (all around, not necessarily league finish). Then we spent 45m on a 29 year old Matic (or however old he was), who didn't play as well as Herrera did, and then we spent 50m on Fred who hasn't been close to Herreras level every though he has improved.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This is when we see if Herrera is good enough or not

fezzerUTD

How on earth did you get Bruno from that??
Talking about Matic. Herrera as the holding mid in 16/17 was our player of the season in our best post Fergie season (all around, not necessarily league finish). Then we spent 45m on a 29 year old Matic (or however old he was), who didn't play as well as Herrera did, and then we spent 50m on Fred who hasn't been close to Herreras level every though he has improved.
:lol: I thought same, plus Bruno came after Herrera had left.

Jibbs

Not giving Herrera a new contract and buying Fred instead of a defender was classic clueless Woodward.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Herrera was perfect for midfield battles in cagey games and was a great nullified and good progressive passer for us but the wages he was demanding (or his agent) I can understand us moving him on.

I genuinely don’t see Herrera in our best XI now and I’m not convinced how he is now any better than Fred. Right decision to move him on not something I thought at first (he was one of the most likeable characters at the time)

binary bot
8 appearances this season in the league. 21 across all competitions. Missed 21 games through injuries

I loved him when he was here but this is classic Herrera and classic captain hindsight. Amazing in the big games but doesnt offer enough in the others. If he was still here people would be in the performance thread taking the piss out of his contract and his reliabilty.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No one would have been in the fecking equation at £300k a week, it's madness
Clearly missing the point. He said himself he would have signed for a lot less had he been approached earlier. We shouldnt have let his contract run down in the first place

crossy1686

career ending
Clearly missing the point. He said himself he would have signed for a lot less had he been approached earlier.
Then why didn't he if the offer was there? If you want to believe that bollocks then fine but his agent was asking for £350k a week and he's now on £300k a week. If you believe him when he says he'd have signed for less, now that he's sitting on that £300k a week and only played 8 games all season then I think you need to ask yourself what agenda/narrative you're trying to push here.

starman

Blame Jose.

Herrera was the player of the season during the Europa &EFL win, then for some reason he decided to gradually stop playing him and buy Fred and then proceeded never to play him either.....
Herrera was the best and most important player during Solskjær unbeaten run while caretaker, imo, things then went to sh!t when he got injuried.