Ander Herrera Revisited

Idxomer

I still can never warm him to a player, half of his game relies heavily on theatrics.

Today he was very good and annoying as usual in the 1st half but faded and was kind of anonymous in the 2nd half. Fred would look better than him in the same team.

Snuffkin

He was exactly the same as he was with us. Lightweight and predictable.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's shocking that so many still don't know the reason why he left, it was nothing to do with money or Ole not wanting him, the contract offer came too late

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I still can never warm him to a player, half of his game relies heavily on theatrics.

Today he was very good and annoying as usual in the 1st half but faded and was kind of anonymous in the 2nd half. Fred would look better than him in the same team.
Fred will be good for us next season

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
He had a decent game. He’s a decent player. But let’s be honest - he’s nothing special. And definately don’t walking into our starting XI. Good bench option though.

I guess he’s doing alright at PSG. like Bernat, Mbappé and Mouting did tonight.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
It's shocking that so many still don't know the reason why he left, it was nothing to do with money or Ole not wanting him, the contract offer came too late
None of that matters now, we have a much better midfield than we did back then.

Good luck to him but I don’t regret us letting him leave.

RUCK4444

Decent player, nothing exceptional but solid. That said, he would have been a very good option for rotation for us towards the end of this season when the fatigue kicked in.

RUCK4444

I seem to remember him being offered a high wage offer from PSG and his agent wanting us to match that, it was too much for a player of his age and ability.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
None of that matters now, we have a much better midfield than we did back then.

Good luck to him but I don’t regret us letting him leave.
Well it does matter when people think it's because of wages that he's no longer here

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Another thing to thank Mourinho for... Herrera is and always has been a very classy player who is under appreciated by many.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Herrera was perfect for midfield battles in cagey games and was a great nullified and good progressive passer for us but the wages he was demanding (or his agent) I can understand us moving him on.

I genuinely don’t see Herrera in our best XI now and I’m not convinced how he is now any better than Fred. Right decision to move him on not something I thought at first (he was one of the most likeable characters at the time)
The issue never was the wages offered by PSG at the eleventh hour. We had ample time to offer him a new contract for considerably less and we didn't. We gave Jones two extensions before we even considered offering Ander a new one. Instead, we notified him of the option we took out for an extra year by post.

Herrera absolutely gets in our first XI next to Pogba and behind Bruno. Having his mobility and tactical awareness would've solved do many issues we had this season.

arnie_ni

I seem to remember him being offered a high wage offer from PSG and his agent wanting us to match that, it was too much for a player of his age and ability.
He thought theyd have offered him a deal after the player of the year award.

They didnt offer him anything until a few months before it was up and it came by post.

lsd

The Oracle
The issue never was the wages offered by PSG at the eleventh hour. We had ample time to offer him a new contract for considerably less and we didn't. We gave Jones two extensions before we even considered offering Ander a new one. Instead, we notified him of the option we took out for an extra year by post.

Herrera absolutely gets in our first XI next to Pogba and behind Bruno. Having his mobility and tactical awareness would've solved do many issues we had this season.

No he doesn't and tactical awareness is not running round like a headless chicken which is all herrera does. By far the most overrated player we ever had

mu4c_20le

We'd be overrun with this midfield.

arnie_ni

In total agreement

ivaldo

No he doesn't and tactical awareness is not running round like a headless chicken which is all herrera does. By far the most overrated player we ever had
No, it's being tactically aware. If you think he ran around like a headless chicken, it kinda proves he understood that aspect of the game far better than you ever will.

mu4c_20le

I assume he was thinking about the Herrera vs Chelsea, but yeah, he's nowhere near Matic's level and will never be. Based on tonight's performance, he'd have a shot at playing Bruno's role, or giving Pogba a rest from time to time.

KeanoMagicHat

Herrera was good in the first half but I didn’t see anything Fred can’t do. Was happy to see him in a CL final though, good servant for us. Would have been happy for him to stay but it’s not like he’s miraculously turned into a world beater, there was nothing new there.

ivaldo

I assume he was thinking about the Herrera vs Chelsea, but yeah, he's nowhere near Matic's level and will never be. Based on tonight's performance, he'd have a shot at playing Bruno's role, or giving Pogba a rest from time to time.
Not one game. His whole time here. Leagues above Matic during their respective stays here.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I agree, he adds something different to the midfield than Matic whom I also like, it will be interesting to see who'll start more between them next season.
Think Fred showed in the semi that he’s a player that can step up to the challenge

Yagami

Good post resistant
Herrera's the midfielder we've had from a defensive POV since prime Carrick. We'd be a lot better off with him sitting behind Pogba and Fernandes than any of Fred, McTominay or Matic.

arnie_ni

Because he and Fred are very similar, his passing is slightly better and Fred is defensively better. He was/is never a 6
Some of his best games came as a DM for us. In fact, didnt he win poty playing dm?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His pass to Di Maria was really good