Ander Herrera Revisited

mu4c_20le

I don't really miss him.

He did the same things with us, just not consistently enough. Didn't notice him at all in the second half except when Bayern scored when he failed to stop the cross.

Bwuk

Would walk into this team.

Cannot understand how people think Fred is anywhere near him as a player.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He started and played OK but he's not the man to get you a goal or spark a come back. No surprises he's been sacrificed for a more attacking option.
That's a fair description, but when Choupo moting is that guy to get you a goal, it's quite damning, and yes I know it wasn't him that came on for Herrera, but blimey!!

Renegade

He started and played OK but he's not the man to get you a goal or spark a come back. No surprises he's been sacrificed for a more attacking option.
Do you expect goals to come from the DM? If we was chasing a goal would you be expecting Matic to make the difference to the attack?

Champ

Would rather have Blind back than Herrera.
This.
Blind at the base of our midfield would be amazing.
Yes he lacked a bit of pace, but his reading of the game made up for it,. Something I never thought Herrera had.

Litch

He would look poor in our system the completely isolates the DM....

Renegade

Do you sub your best players off after 70 minutes?
When you’re chasing a goal and his a DM? Perhaps.

He’s not one of PSG best players. No ones arguing that.His been one of their better on the night. Do you not agree?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

Fred doesn’t start so who is he playing instead of

mu4c_20le

I think some of you are really doing Fred a disservice in here, there was a point in the first half of the season where people were saying he was captain material. His pressing is much better although not sure if its because Ander's age is catching up to him these days.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Do you sub your best players off after 70 minutes?
Ander has been good tonight. His role has been to spoil, and given they're now chasing the game the change for a more attacking player makes sense.

Fred is a squad player.

I like Herrera, and he was a good squad player, and for a season was very good for us.

But ultimately, he was inconsistent, didn’t have any end product, and he’s not a defensive midfielder.

He wouldn’t be in our best 11.

He left at the right time for him, and he got an amazing contract, and left at the right time for us as well.

Litch

I don't really miss him.

He did the same things with us, just not consistently enough. Didn't notice him at all in the second half except when Bayern scored when he failed to stop the cross.
Yep, we aren't PSG either....

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
This.
Blind at the base of our midfield would be amazing.
Yes he lacked a bit of pace, but his reading of the game made up for it,. Something I never thought Herrera had.
I never understood why Blind didn’t get more opportunities at holding mid. Such an underrated player.

pacifictheme

Do you expect goals to come from the DM? If we was chasing a goal would you be expecting Matic to make the difference to the attack?
No. That's my point you dolt. He played well, they need a goal. He was rightly sacrificed because of the type of player he is.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Then why didn't he if the offer was there? If you want to believe that bollocks then fine but his agent was asking for £350k a week and he's now on £300k a week. If you believe him when he says he'd have signed for less, now that he's sitting on that £300k a week and only played 8 games all season then I think you need to ask yourself what agenda/narrative you're trying to push here.
There was no offer.
Jose didnt want him at the club and when Ole came in, he took too long to decide he wanted to keep Ander. The club never offered him a contract till the last minute by then it was too late.

Champ

I never understood why Blind didn’t get more opportunities at holding mid. Such an underrated player.
I agree,
He's an intelligent player, similar to Carrick in a lot of ways.

Jonesno.8

I agree,
He's an intelligent player, similar to Carrick in a lot of ways.
Just goes to show in the right setup how good he can be. Would be playing the Matic role if he was still here.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Draxler for Herrera = worst sub in CL history.

Herrera was setting up chances for fun. Draxler was giving the ball away for fun.

ReallyUSA

I don't see how subbing the midfield was going to do anything. Horrible decision, he was arguably the best player on the pitch the first half.

El Zoido

Quality player as I’ve always said. PSG got worse when they took him off.

fps

He’s still a serviceable 6.5/10 water carrier kinda player.

Ekeke

Fred is a squad player.

I like Herrera, and he was a good squad player, and for a season was very good for us.

But ultimately, he was inconsistent, didn’t have any end product, and he’s not a defensive midfielder.

He wouldn’t be in our best 11.

He left at the right time for him, and he got an amazing contract, and left at the right time for us as well.
He was in our best 11. And he went to play in the champions league for a better first team 11. And in the final he played well.

DannyDee

Played well and I would have wanted him to win this if he didn't play for a Club I hate with two players I hate (Di Maria and Neymar).