Ander Herrera Revisited

Walters_19_MuFc

Freds passing is woeful, it's his biggest flaw.
It really isn't. I think the reason people say that is because he is prone to some really strange ones - I'll give you that, but if we look at it from an overall view, then I personally believe he's a better passer than Herrera.

UncleBob

The issue never was the wages offered by PSG at the eleventh hour. We had ample time to offer him a new contract for considerably less and we didn't. We gave Jones two extensions before we even considered offering Ander a new one. Instead, we notified him of the option we took out for an extra year by post.

Herrera absolutely gets in our first XI next to Pogba and behind Bruno. Having his mobility and tactical awareness would've solved do many issues we had this season.
We held plenty of talks with his agent.

Cloud7

He didn't do much different today to what he did as a United player. Ran around a lot, played a few good passes. Same stuff we saw here.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It really isn't. I think the reason people say that is because he is prone to some really strange ones - I'll give you that, but if we look at it from an overall view, then I personally believe he's a better passer than Herrera.
And he doesnt shoot well. If he did then people would think his passing is better.

ReallyUSA

He didn't do much different today to what he did as a United player. Ran around a lot, played a few good passes. Same stuff we saw here.
I don't know man, I don't think he set up shots on goal like he did for Angel and Mbappers. Those were really, really good chances.

hmchan

Sums up Herrera's career really. Deliver some good performances in big matches and people think he's some sort of top players.

Suedesi

Lots took the piss out of him when he left, league winner and bossing it in CL final 12 months later. Am guessing Ander has proved his point!
No PSG player bossed shit in the final mate. Goretzka/Thiago dominated him throughout.

fecking typical CAF 200+ posts on Herrera who came up short yet again on the big stage.

Last edited:

treble_winner

Another thing to thank Mourinho for... Herrera is and always has been a very classy player who is under appreciated by many.
What does Mourinho have to do with Herrera? We bought Herrera before Van Gaal, and we let Herrera go under Ole's management reign.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
What does Mourinho have to do with Herrera? We bought Herrera before Van Gaal, and we let Herrera go under Ole's management reign.
He was misused by both lvg and mourinho. Over-coached and restricted under Lvg, and was used as a tactical X-factor under jose to man-mark opponents key players (though they were his most memorable performances).

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
No PSG player bossed shit in the final mate. Goretzka/Thiago dominated him throughout.

fecking typical CAF 200+ posts on Herrera who came up short yet again on the big stage.
Overly harsh. He played well, but Bayern are quality in every position and are one of the most well drilled sides of the last decade. Keeps the game ticking, brings energy on both ends of the pitch, and is capable of picking out passes to forwards in dangerous areas.

Skeezix

He was PSG's best midfield player I'd say. Big game player.

But their forwards on the other hand. Better left unsaid.

Number32

Love herrera and for sure is always a big game player. He was PSG best player today.

Also there's no way in hell Fred is a better passer.
Yeah, Fred is only better at tackling, thinking Fred is better than Herrera is hilarious.

He can score with his feet or head either, something that Fred only dreaming of.

Mbappe should score at least 1 from his passes.

Strelok

Not offering him the 350k was the correct decision. The problem people have is the fact we waited so long to offer him the deal and by the time we did PSG had got in contact with him so his demands obviously changed. Understandably.
And we offered Rojo, Jones huge contracts. To protect our 'assets'. That speaks volumes about our board I think.

hmchan

He was misused by both lvg and mourinho. Over-coached and restricted under Lvg, and was used as a tactical X-factor under jose to man-mark opponents key players (though they were his most memorable performances).
Harsh to say Mourinho misused Herrera when he delivered his best performances and got the POTY in that position.

hmchan

And we offered Rojo, Jones huge contracts. To protect our 'assets'. That speaks volumes about our board I think.
Offering Jones and Rojo huge contracts are mistakes. It doesn't mean we have to make another mistake in the Herrera situation.

He was in our best 11. And he went to play in the champions league for a better first team 11. And in the final he played well.
He doesn’t get in our team. Matic, Pogba and Bruno are our first choice 11.

We wasn’t in our best 11, he was in and out over his 5 years at the club. How many stand out moments did he have?

It’s not binary that either he was crap, or brilliant. He was a good squad player, but that’s it.

Whatever he’s gone on to, you can’t judge him too much considering he’s played less than 10 games for them all season.

Leanshig

He doesn’t get in our team. Matic, Pogba and Bruno are our first choice 11.

We wasn’t in our best 11, he was in and out over his 5 years at the club. How many stand out moments did he have?

It’s not binary that either he was crap, or brilliant. He was a good squad player, but that’s it.

Whatever he’s gone on to, you can’t judge him too much considering he’s played less than 10 games for them all season.
He'd waltz into DM ahead of Matic frankly, but I'm glad we didn't pay him 200k a week.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Seriously do you not know the reason he left? Mourinho didn’t really rate him or use him much in his second season and told the board not to offer him a new deal. Ole wanted to keep him but by the time he came in Herrera had all but agreed a massive contract at PSG and we had no chance to go back and offer him anything. No doubt in my mind that if Ole was here 12 months earlier Herrera would still be here.

Strelok

Seriously do you not know the reason he left? Mourinho didn’t really rate him or use him much in his second season and told the board not to offer him a new deal. Ole wanted to keep him but by the time he came in Herrera had all but agreed a massive contract at PSG and we had no chance to go back and offer him anything. No doubt in my mind that if Ole was here 12 months earlier Herrera would still be here.
Agreed.

Ole was appointed as a caretaker only. As such I'd really doubt he had any saying in who to keep and who to let go. By the time he was appointed permanently it was already too late imo. Our board is really stupid when it comes to football matters, I still remember someone posted the background of our board and none has any experience in football previously. Pure madness.

UncleBob

Did we? I don’t see why Herrera would lie.
How often do we let first team players leave on a free?

We wanted to extend his contract, but when he's got other options and his agent is setting the bar accordingly, then it's slightly more difficult to reach an agreement...He got a hefty wage increase, more than we offered, and it's a 5 year contract. I'd be surprised if we offered him more than a 2 year contract with an option to extend it for one year. It was an easy decision for him.

flappyjay

Herrera was a bench player until Ole came in, I think that's why he was offered a contract in the last 6 months as he had became important for Ole. Herrera was an undisputed starter in Jose's 1st season and during Ole's caretaker period.

arnie_ni

How often do we let first team players leave on a free?

We wanted to extend his contract, but when he's got other options and his agent is setting the bar accordingly, then it's slightly more difficult to reach an agreement...He got a hefty wage increase, more than we offered, and it's a 5 year contract. I'd be surprised if we offered him more than a 2 year contract with an option to extend it for one year. It was an easy decision for him.
Yea all thats true but that was all after psg offered him a deal. He has literally said he didnt get offered a deal at United until he already agreed with psg.

He won player of the year a year? before that and we didnt offer him a deal.

Last edited:

UncleBob

I disagree, reckon it's one of the biggest issues with Fred, it's his passing technique, the way he hits the ball, it almost looks like he's always in a rush when he passes it, combine that with his lack of concentration/awareness and it's difficult to trust him

arnie_ni

I disagree, reckon it's one of the biggest issues with Fred, it's his passing technique, the way he hits the ball, it almost looks like he's always in a rush when he passes it, combine that with his lack of concentration/awareness and it's difficult to trust him
I'm in agreement with fred.

He's had a few good games dont get me wrong but for 50 mil I just dont see it, especially when we are essentially saying he was bought to replace herrera.

arnie_ni

"Sweary interview".
Says 'shit' once.
Said fecked as well.

Was more for his summary of the game. They had at least 4 real good chances and could have snuck away with a win.

You wouldnt have thought their front 3 would be the reason they lost.

UncleBob

Yea all thats true but that was all after psg offered him a deal. He has literally said he didnt get offered a deal at United until he already agreed with psg.

We won player of the year a year before that and we didnt offer him a deal.
We held several talks with his agent during the season in order to reach a common ground, but you don't continually make new contract offers until it's accepted like early days FM. When we made the formal offer we were well aware he wasn't signing it, as he had better options elsewhere, but you leave it there as a take it or not it's all we can offer. Not sure why we're pretending that Herrera was of the impression that we didn't want to extend, we just weren't willing to meet their requests.

I would've preferred it if he stayed, but he'd be an absolute moron not to jump at the chance of those type of wages and a 5 year contract

Matriac

Said fecked as well.

Was more for his summary of the game. They had at least 4 real good chances and could have snuck away with a win.

You wouldnt have thought their front 3 would be the reason they lost.
Missed that one, thought he said something else.
I didn't mean to have a dig at you, it was Football Joe that was the target.

But yeah, it's a good interview. Herrera always did this well with us as well. Has the gift of gab even more so than his feet. Why I thought he was destined to be one of our most prolific ambassadors in the future, had he not left the way he did.
He might still come back in the future, but would take a cooling period after he puts up his boots I think.

Spends 75% of the season injured, starts the final cause PSG expect to have little possession and makes just 23 passes. Pulled at 70.

The cafs response to that it hilarious. Ander is a decent player, but certainly not a player we miss one iota.

Mickson

Spends 75% of the season injured, starts the final cause PSG expect to have little possession and makes just 23 passes. Pulled at 70.

The cafs response to that it hilarious. Ander is a decent player, but certainly not a player we miss one iota.
Almost conceded two goals when he was losing the ball when Bayern pressed as well.