Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Neviller

Well there have been people like myself and yourself, who thought he was the answer to our midfield problems all along. I'd never say Fergie is an idiot but i do question why he persists in picking midfield combinations that are proven to be shit, time and time again.

If Scholes is to play, it can't be in a 2 and most certainly can't be with an other slow player, who sits back. Same with Giggs. I have no problem with either of the legends getting a game, they still have a lot to offer but not at the same time and not in a midfield two.
Ferguson isn't holding Anderson back though, he never has. The only thing holding Anderson back is Anderson, which has always been the case. He needs to improve his stamina and fitness and put everything together. It's not as though Fergie hasn't given him chances, he's given him more changes than many other players have had it's just that only now does he look like he's taking them. He's threatened to before but never followed through. If he's going to make it here it's really up to him to grab his chances with both hands. Let's hope today is the start of that again.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think carrick is criminally under rated on here.
:lol:

Is this serious? Carrick is anything but underrated on here. He was overrated by fans last season because he had a very good year, but now it's died down and people recognise him for what he is.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
How exactly is he supposed to do that with ONE League start all season? He needs to be given a chance to prove he can do it.
well he is huffed and puffed by the 70 min mark when he is given the chance, so far this season.

The Neviller

How exactly is he supposed to do that with ONE League start all season? He needs to be given a chance to prove he can do it.
He's never been bloody fit enough though has he? He dies after 60/70 minutes. It's clear he's being managed to improve his fitness.

The short-termism on here astounds me at times.

The Neviller

Is this serious? Carrick is anything but underrated on here. He was overrated by fans last season because he had a very good year, but now it's died down and people recognise him for what he is.
Don't agree. He gets far more stick than he deserves.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
True but not even Carrick's been bossing teams, he's not that kinda CM either way. Ando deserves his opportunity. He's easily our best CM right now in terms of form. Even if he can't play a full 90 he should start IMO. I'd like to see Carrick & Ando partnership again. I always liked it.
Hes not been at his best this season but has still been decent. Its not like Cleverley has been that much better than him, yet some posters seem to be of the opinion that he should be permanently dropped and that Clev/Ando midfield two will dominate all opposition.

That being said, I also think Anderson deserves more game time. Ive always been a fan, and now hes starting to string together good performances one after another. Id really like a Carrick - Anderson midfield duo. Theoretically it should allow Ando to do his offensive runs without fear of leaving too much space for the opposition, letting Carrick have the main defensive job.

Anderson has had it all to prove this year, so I understand SAFs hesitance. But on the evidence of past few weeks, I agree.

Lets hope Anderson has convinced the boss he can be trusted to deliver.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Don't agree. He gets far more stick than he deserves.
He'll get more stick than he deserves after a bad performance but due to the kneejerk attitude of some around here that's the norm for any player. He's widely appreciated on here and gets the recognition he deserves.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

You don't seriously think that the opinion of him now is a new one? The overall opinion hasn't changed in the slightest since 2006, it's just fluctuated a little bit here and there in accordance with his form. Absolute nonsense to say people have only just recognised him for what he is.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
You don't seriously think that the opinion of him now is a new one? The overall opinion hasn't changed in the slightest since 2006, it's just fluctuated a little bit here and there in accordance with his form. Absolute nonsense to say people have only just recognised him for what he is.
During the 2011/2012 season the hype over him was becoming a tad ridiculous: suggestions that he was good as Xabi Alonso being the prime example. People obviously have always recognised him for what he is, but it was being taken a bit too far last season. He's a lot more fairly and accurately regarded by Man United fans now again. I wasn't on here in 2006 so I can't comment on that.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
ie that he is criminally under rated.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
ie that he is criminally under rated.
How is he criminally underrated though? If he was then people would be slating him in his thread and calling him crap. That very rarely happens and whenever it does it's mostly the muppets who are the suspects for it.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
During the 2011/2012 season the hype over him was becoming a tad ridiculous: suggestions that he was good as Xabi Alonso being the prime example.
Yes, that example is the one that makes your point seem utterly bizarre. The comparison to Xabi Alonso did not originate from him being overrated because of his form last season, it's been ongoing since Carrick first moved to us. For god sake last season wasn't even his best season at the club, it probably wasn't even his second best season at the club...overrated because of last season, it's just an absurd notion.

ricky-romeo

i love giggs but ando and cleverley are way much better at CM than giggsy is now.

i hope we will see more of the younger midfielders that we have in coming weeks.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Ferguson isn't holding Anderson back though, he never has. The only thing holding Anderson back is Anderson, which has always been the case. He needs to improve his stamina and fitness and put everything together. It's not as though Fergie hasn't given him chances, he's given him more changes than many other players have had it's just that only now does he look like he's taking them. He's threatened to before but never followed through. If he's going to make it here it's really up to him to grab his chances with both hands. Let's hope today is the start of that again.
I don't agree. I've seen many times since he's been here when Anderson is in a purple patch, he'll suddenly be left out of a big game and lose his place and have to start all over again. You can't do that with a confidence player and that's most certainly what Anderson is. Same with Nani, in fact.
Yes, they both have had attitude problems that have held them back also, but to an extent, they have been mismanaged, too.

I understand the boss tries to pick the right players, for the right games etc. and we need to have squad rotation or whatever. But I am a firm believer in staying with your in-form players, no matter the game. In fact, when three points are at stake, you should be picking your best XI, available.

Saying all that, I dare say the manager knows more then me and I trust his judgement implicitly, even if I don't agree with it.

Maybe he's always known Anderson would be a very late developer and has been biding his time with him all along.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
During the 2011/2012 season the hype over him was becoming a tad ridiculous: suggestions that he was good as Xabi Alonso being the prime example. People obviously have always recognised him for what he is, but it was being taken a bit too far last season. He's a lot more fairly and accurately regarded by Man United fans now again. I wasn't on here in 2006 so I can't comment on that.
Who on earth compared him to Xavi? Hes not the same kind of player at all. Comparisons to Busquets are far more accurate, and hes on about the same level as the latter.

He was slated for years as our "weak link" and it was only last season that people finally stopped coming out with comments like "Carrick is slowing us down and is useless", "replace Carrick with a good midfielder and we'll be fine" etc. Now those kind of comments are back. Hes the go-to scapegoat whenever we dont play well.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Who on earth compared him to Xavi? Hes not the same kind of player at all. Comparisons to Busquets are far more accurate, and hes on about the same level as the latter.

He was slated for years as our "weak link" and it was only last season that people finally stopped coming out with comments like "Carrick is slowing us down and is useless", "replace Carrick with a good midfielder and we'll be fine" etc. Now those kind of comments are back. Hes the go-to scapegoat whenever we dont play well.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
One week he is a fat cnut and then the following week he is the best midfielder since Zidane..

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

He's not as good as Busquets though. I wouldn't say Busquets is on a different level, but he is a better player. It wasn't Xavi either; it was Xabi Alonso, who is a far better player.

He's not being used as a scapegoat either; people are simply being kneejerk, with some truth hinted in. Carrick does slow us down at times. He's a good player, but he sometimes does. The extra stuff added on top is merely the standard kneejerk reactions you get around here. Other players receive much worse criticism.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Knew someone would reply like this. Carrick wouldnt look out of place at all playing in Busquets' position at Barca. They are basically the same player. Just because Barca have so much more quality next to Busquets than we do next to Carrick makes people think Busquets is vastly better. Hes not.
Nah, Busquets is a better player. Take Busquets out of that team and they often look inbalanced without him there. He's a smug cheat but he's a very good player and a better player than Carrick.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Knew someone would reply like this. Carrick wouldnt look out of place at all playing in Busquets' position at Barca. They are basically the same player. Just because Barca have so much more quality next to Busquets than we do next to Carrick makes people think Busquets is vastly better. Hes not.
I'm afraid he is. Busquets is far more technically polished than Carrick. Busquets has better close control, more controlled and crisper short range passing than Carrick and crucially he's comfortable under pressure and is more of a one touch player than Carrick is. When Busquets is absent, especially from the Spanish national side, it makes a noticeable difference. Busquets>Carrick any day.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Ando did his job today. What we want to see now is taking it to that level for a full 90.

Then, if the gods are beneficent, Ando can raise his game one more notch for a full 90 against a top opponent. Do that and the gizz will be erupting everywhere!

The Neviller

I don't agree. I've seen many times since he's been here when Anderson is in a purple patch, he'll suddenly be left out of a big game and lose his place and have to start all over again. You can't do that with a confidence player and that's most certainly what Anderson is. Same with Nani, in fact.
Yes, they both have had attitude problems that have held them back also, but to an extent, they have been mismanaged, too.

I understand the boss tries to pick the right players, for the right games etc. and we need to have squad rotation or whatever. But I am a firm believer in staying with your in-form players, no matter the game. In fact, when three points are at stake, you should be picking your best XI, available.

Saying all that, I dare say the manager knows more then me and I trust his judgement implicitly, even if I don't agree with it.

Maybe he's always known Anderson would be a very late developer and has been biding his time with him all along.
Thing is TDon, none of us know what happens on the training pitch on a day to day basis. A player can play well on a Saturday and train like shit all week. If other players are better in training then they are likely to be selected. Those occasions where you feel Anderson was unfairly left out could well be explained by things we aren't party to. Lack of fitness, lethargy in training or poor attitude to training, or as you say, the manager feeling a particular player fits the next game better. I trust Ferguson to judge it correctly.

At the end of the day he's still here because Fergie wants him to be, and if he wants to make it here it's up to him to make himself undroppable. Nobody else can do that for him.

amolbhatia50k

Nonsense. Busquets is technically magnificent. Barcelona fans here haveoften said he's consider a "reference" with regards to that type of midfielder. And you think he's on Carrick's level.

Carrick is even particularly gifted technically. I'm not really sure how you came to the conclusion you did. He's someone who is "pretty good" as Randall pointed out earlier. Noone on earth would ever consider him good enough to be first choice in one of the greatest midfields ever assembled.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Nobody but you has said that. Though, I have seen a few complete wankers, calling him a fat cnut. feck them.
I've called him fat a few times but if we can get him to play a few games on the run should make him a decent midfielder....banning his trips to Mcdonald may help too :)

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Thing is TDon, none of us know what happens on the training pitch on a day to day basis. A player can play well on a Saturday and train like shit all week. If other players are better in training then they are likely to be selected. Those occasions where you feel Anderson was unfairly left out could well be explained by things we aren't party to. Lack of fitness, lethargy in training or poor attitude to training, or as you say, the manager feeling a particular player fits the next game better. I trust Ferguson to judge it correctly.

At the end of the day he's still here because Fergie wants him to be, and if he wants to make it here it's up to him to make himself undroppable. Nobody else can do that for him.
Yes, you've basically just elaborated on the second half of my post, thanks.
Nah, to be honest, I know what you're saying, but I don't agree with dropping players in good form, no matter the reason, training or other. (unless its a really bad discipline problem)

acnumber9

He's never been bloody fit enough though has he? He dies after 60/70 minutes. It's clear he's being managed to improve his fitness.

The short-termism on here astounds me at times.
It shouldn't come as a surprise. Some of the best football managers in the world post on this forum.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
It shouldn't come as a surprise. Some of the best football managers in the world post on this forum.
How is someone meant to get match fit on the bench?...

-------------------------

Scholes and Fletcher 2012 - who's got the legs? There's not energy/pace there and teams recognize that.

Anderson pushed them back and as soon as he did, the other players upped their game because he wasn't looking to play safe. Why? Our strength is going forward. Why play a European game in the league at home, to QPR? With all due respect to them...

It's all about tempo. We maybe protecting Anderson but there has to be a balance. We lost to Norwich because we were shite...and we let them get confidence by being shite. We made it a much harder game then it had to be today. We need legs in midfield

amolbhatia50k

You can't be serious. Come back when he's dominating minefields for 90 minutes and playing top teams off the park. That is the benchmark for what is expected at this club. All this is is, yet another, promising cameo.
Yet the starters aren't doing it.

acnumber9

How is someone meant to get match fit on the bench?...

-------------------------

Scholes and Fletcher 2012 - who's got the legs? There's not energy/pace there and teams recognize that.

Anderson pushed them back and as soon as he did, the other players upped their game because he wasn't looking to play safe. Why? Our strength is going forward. Why play a European game in the league at home, to QPR? With all due respect to them...
I think Fergie knows his players better than we do. Coming on around the hour mark against a team who have worked their balls off for an hour isn't the same as starting games. We've seen him start games before and play shite. He's had injury problems and the manager is obviously trying to manage him in order to get the best out of him. I say leave him to it. I imagine he will start on Wednesday and if he plays as well again the. The manager is going to find it hard not to play him.

Status
Not open for further replies.