View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Old Ma Crow

He's just not a good keeper. I said it after his first game or two. His technique is all over the place. Our scouts need shooting.

De gea needed upgrading.... but we downgraded. Cut our losses and try the young guy we have or buy somebody else.
What scouts? I'm sure the due diligence was:

1. CL final keeper. Check
2. ETH knows him. Check

Done deal!

The homework the Spurs staff did to sign Vicario was much more comprehensive and what a surprise, he's been impressive.

SuperiorXI

What scouts? I'm sure the due diligence was:

1. CL final keeper. Check
2. ETH knows him. Check

Done deal!

The homework the Spurs staff did to sign Vicario was much more comprehensive and what a surprise, he's been impressive.
How do you know? What evidence have you got or are you just talking out your rear?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
That and we have Antony replacements at the ready compared to the GK position. But yeah the fact both were brought in by him is the main issue regardless.
Garnacho's form has almost forced us into bringing Antony out of the team, as ETH is equally intimidated by Rashford and infatuated by Antony and he had to bench one of them.

Garnacho will be out of the team once he loses his top form though as disciplinarian will be back in town then.

KeanoMagicHat

So Onana has conceded 33 goals so far, which is two more than Van der Sar conceded in the entire 2008/09 season.

SuperiorXI

So Onana has conceded 33 goals so far, which is two more than Van der Sar conceded in the entire 2008/09 season.
Van Der Sar signed for United in 2005, he had a few years under his belt and in front of him was Vidic and Ferdinand, arguably one of the greatest CB partnerships in football history. That's before we get onto the fact that the team was also a settled world class outfit being managed by the greatest manager of all time.

IWat

His passing is overrated. More than a couple of clunkers last night and even when doing better how has it changed our style of play after all the hype?
This. There were so many on here selling the point that it would radically change how we play. That it would be transformational. Well, we've certainly seen a transformation.

flappyjay

His passing is overrated. More than a couple of clunkers last night and even when doing better how has it changed our style of play after all the hype?
Pass for eternity amongst the defenders and then hoof it forward. This transfer makes it worse when we are not even benefiting from his best attributes.

KeanoMagicHat

Van Der Sar signed for United in 2005, he had a few years under his belt and in front of him was Vidic and Ferdinand, arguably one of the greatest CB partnerships in football history. That's before we get onto the fact that the team was also a settled world class outfit being managed by the greatest manager of all time.
It's far from all Onana's fault, but still the statistics are damning in sheer volume of goals conceded and the mistakes around them.

poleglass red

Maybe a more telling stat is, he has the most errors leading to opposition goals in the CL since 2018-2019.

Artorias

I'd say it's definitely all his fault we're on the verge of a CL exit at the very least
Agree. Maybe he'll come good in the end, but let's be honest, we're out of the Champions League because of him.
Let's imagine that we would have keep De Gea and invest that 50M in a defender (Kim for example), we would be by far a better team by now.

Rossa

No way is the Wolves one a howler. Nor should he have been sent off.

The "shoddy" ones are all from the league, where his save % (and the stat where they take into account the quality of the chance) is the second best in the league. So it just doesn't fit with him regularly missing saves that other keepers would make. Especially when you consider that he hasn't made that many miracle saves (apart from the Haaland header anyway)

I'm on the fence with him. I have worries about his fundamental technique. It will take me a long time to get over the way he tried to keep out Gala's second goal. It was so so bad. But I do think he is an effective enough shot stopper, in a very unconventional way. And his composure on the ball and speed off the line is a big improvement on what we're used to. He does need to cut out these howlers though. As you say, if the defence can't trust their keeper it can wreck the whole project.
Agree about the Wolves one - it should have been moved to the shoddy ones. I still think that goalies are let off the hook far too frequently for those. Talk about endangering other players - I once punched someone straight in the face, and it's a terrible feeling.

The quality of the chance does not take into account the finisher or the actual finish, only the position etc. Watching him play, and as you also said, he has some fundamental technique issues that are concerning and not a testament to him being the second best shot stopper in the league - he very clearly isn't.

He's growing on me. I don't think he'll be world class as a pure goalie, but he might make up for that in other aspects of the game. As you say, his composure on the ball is brilliant. He is quick off the line, and equally important, he is very brave! (DDG was not brave!) Sounds like we are not that far apart in how we view him.

flameinthesun

I'm seeing a few people saying that he hasn't played in front of a settled defence....that point would make sense if the majority of mistakes came from defensive confusion between him and the defenders or he was conceding a large number of goals due to poor defending. Pretty much all his mistakes come down to his poor goalkeeping technique rather than defensive confusion etc. Having Varane and Licha in front of him would do nothing to stop the goals he let in yesterday. The only person to blame for his shocking form is himself.

LDUred

Our entire defence was atrocious last night. Not helped by the fact that Erik Ten Hag refuses to play a double pivot in any game, which results in our opponents basically waltzing through the midfield at leisure. He's totally bound to a single formation and he won't admit that he's wrong because he's stubborn as hell.

The biggest error Onana made was actually Martial's fault. I mean, what the actual feck was he trying to do there?

I'm not going to pretend there aren't huge question marks here but heaping the blame on Onana is unfair.

Bristol_Red_87

I'd start by saying that's he's the most parculiar character I think I've ever seen play at this level.

He is seemingly able to come across as incredibly calm and confident in one passage / facet of the game, such as turning past an on rushing attacker to then, looking like a rabbit in the headlights when said attacker has the ball at his feet and is preparing to shoot.

He doesn't lack confidence, but much like DDG in his latter years, he lacks concentration powers.

His technical flaws can (I hope) be largely ironed out but he'll likely always have a mistake in him for which I think we all accepted, just not so often and so glaring.

IWat

Our entire defence was atrocious last night. Not helped by the fact that Erik Ten Hag refuses to play a double pivot in any game, which results in our opponents basically waltzing through the midfield at leisure. He's totally bound to a single formation and he won't admit that he's wrong because he's stubborn as hell.

The biggest error Onana made was actually Martial's fault. I mean, what the actual feck was he trying to do there?

I'm not going to pretend there aren't huge question marks here but heaping the blame on Onana is unfair.
You can always blame an outfield player for pretty much every goal. At some point you've had to lose the ball, miss a challenge, block or give a foul away etc.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Yet two goals we conceded were from set pieces which our defense had little to do with.

Yesterday was 100% down on him. The rest of the team collectively earned us a convincing win, he cost us the game single handedly. It was as bad as anything I've ever seen from a goalkeeper and on par with Karius costing Liverpool CL in 2018, though even then they would not have won that game regardless (while we would have).

KeanoMagicHat

I'd say it's definitely all his fault we're on the verge of a CL exit at the very least
Well he did save a last minute penalty in our only win. Against Copenhagen away we conceded 4 that wasn't really down to him. Dalot is most at fault for 2 goals against Gala in the first match, although he causes a penalty and a red card by Casemiro that is luckily missed. Bayern he was shite but we would have lost anyway most likely. Yesterday, if you watch both of his soft goals he let in, the wall is terrible in the first one, the second one Martial misses a header, if both of those are better then maybe they don't go in. Some of these come down to lack of leadership, incompetence and organisation, he's the worst performing part but not all his fault.

Bole Top

the "settled defence" argument only works if we're talking about total number of shots he faces during the game, not when he makes a blunder instead of making an easy save. you don't need Vidic in front of you to save that second goal.

it's like saying it's understandable for a striker to miss an open goal because midfielders behind him aren't good enough. it makes no sense.

Gordon Godot

Well he did save a last minute penalty in our only win. Against Copenhagen away we conceded 4 that wasn't really down to him. Dalot is most at fault for 2 goals against Gala in the first match, although he causes a penalty and a red card by Casemiro that is luckily missed. Bayern he was shite but we would have lost anyway most likely. Yesterday, if you watch both of his soft goals he let in, the wall is terrible in the first one, the second one Martial misses a header, if both of those are better then maybe they don't go in. Some of these come down to lack of leadership, incompetence and organisation, he's the worst performing part but not all his fault.
Excuses. Come off it. Wall was poor but ball went past his foot. Other 2 goals were worse. He's a joke.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He has terrible handling.

He blocks the ball with the lower part of his palm/top of his wrist, something which DDG used to do occasionally btw.

Which I think is symptomatic of not judging the flight of the ball/getting set for the shot.

As a keeper, you want to be able to manipulate the ball with your hand/fingers, off to different angles, especially for saves where you have to dive and meet the ball. You are diverting or tipping the ball away or over the goal. You (should) know where the goal is!

If you use the bottom of your palm/top of your wrist it acts as a block, you have no feel for the ball nor can you direct it with any confidence past you. Most of the time the ball goes back in the direction where it came from. This is why so many saves look ungainly and the ball seems to either go back into danger, or end up in the air directly above the diving keeper, or rarely going out of play.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He just isn’t very good at the moment. Too inconsistent and too prone to error. Maybe in future he could do a Maguire and become kind of solid for us. But right now he has been costing us games.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
We may suck it up lads, he's here for the foreseeable. We have a strong recent history of players we've written off rising like a phoenix from the flames, AWB, Harry, Dalot (for a while anyway). Martinez and a more solid midfield will make a big difference to him. I'll stick with him for the moment.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He sets up the wall remember, that's totally on him.

The Gala home game totally turns on the red card, which is obviously also on Casemiro, but it all started with that shocking pass out from Onana.

Think he could have done much better on at least 2 of the Copenhagen goals... Stuff a better shot-stopper would save, but it's mainly the other 4 games that you're left with.

Ultimately with a different keeper in net we probably beat Galatasary at home and definitely win yesterday. I just don't think it does him any real favours absolving for what are pretty shocking errors. He's not a kid, he's 27... I don't for one second he's blaming anyone but himself for both goals yesterday.

TrailMonkey

I get the wisdom in having a keeper who's good with his feet and distribution, but what's the point when your outfield players can't keep the ball when they have it anyway?

Onana has played a handful of good balls up top in the 20 odd games he's played for us, but has that really been transformational? Absolutely not. What has been transformational is his ability to dick about with his defence and let goals in that a Sunday league keeper would be embarrassed by.

His recent improvement in form lasted 3-4 games. Big deal. Any decent keeper should be performing at that level consistently anyway. I'll allow a good keeper a howler now and then, but this lad is literally impersonating a keeper. Wouldn't surprise me if he's related to Ali Dia.

Red71

I'd take Taibi over him. I feel the pressure on Taibi was coming into a world class team and being judged to the standard of possibly the greatest keeper of all time, by that measure, every mistake was magnified and the pressure just compounded, but you could see he was a keeper and you didn't look at his technique and think he looked like you would between the sticks.

I genuinely haven't seen a keeper do some of the things Onana does for seemingly no reason at all. He has no comfort or ease in actually being a goalkeeper - for as calm as he is with his legs, he's as panicked and disjointed with his hands.

Just not a keeper a backline can trust. There's an urgent need to get him out of the team, for me. Maguire got slaughtered for unsettling the entire backline when he was playing like an absolute calamity, and Onana is doing the exact same thing now. Further to that, he'll have a massive target on him now and teams we face will be cannoning speculative shots at him non-stop. I wouldn't back him to come out of that smelling of roses.

Not a keeper for me. Wish him luck elsewhere.
This is a major issue now I think. It was noticeable last night that Onana gave Galatasary massive encouragement with how badly he dealt with the chances they had (including the goal that wasn’t).

I haven’t looked at the stats but it seemed to the naked eye that they were shooting from random angles and distances 2nd half because they felt it was worth a go! You don’t do that against teams with dependable or quality goalies because you’d just be effectively coughing up possession. This guy though, it’s always worth a pop because he looks like he’s always got a rick in him!

The second goal is borderline unforgivable for me but there’s serious question marks against the other two as well. It’s alright being unorthodox if it’s working for you but if your technique is all wrong, you don’t have anything to fall back on. He is to goalkeeping what Lindelof is to being a CB. They just don’t pass the eye test for me. Probably decent players at the right club but not United players.

We needed a big performance from him whereas in actual fact, he’s done us like a kipper. I fear this’ll end up being the story of our season unless we deal with him now…

Heinzesight

I get he’s not had a settled defence in front of him all season, but that doesn’t make him chuck balls into his own net, fail to claim a tame cross or just not look flat footed and awkward. Can’t see how at 27 this gets sorted.

Perhaps one of the reasons we keep going for more goals instead of seeing out games is because the midfield and attack don’t trust the defence or our calamity keeper.

Dansk

We may suck it up lads, he's here for the foreseeable. We have a strong recent history of players we've written off rising like a phoenix from the flames, AWB, Harry, Dalot (for a while anyway). Martinez and a more solid midfield will make a big difference to him. I'll stick with him for the moment.
No, we don't have a strong history of that. We have rare exceptions of it. The overwhelming norm for the past decade is for players to become shit and then leave for little to nothing. Going all the way back to the likes of Di Maria, almost none of our bigger transfers have worked out. Very nearly all of them have ended up failing and leaving for less than we paid, or for free, or just languishing unused in the squad while collecting huge wages for nothing.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I was never really hyped when the links to him started. Even moreso as it resembled another player who EtH had priors with...just such unnecessary pressure and again, after the Antony signing, you'd think our DoF/scouts (CEO, whoever!) would have at least learnt. FFS. Would be some sort of irony if EtH's "signings" are the ones partly responsible for him getting the sack.

gaffs

Not a goalkeeping expert, but his technique looks awful. That is not going to change anytime soon, so these errors will continue.

You cant carry on with a keeper like this.

Last edited: