View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

RedIan

The first goal was saveable but he was unsighted. Made a couple of good saves after that. Cant be blamed fir 2 very well hit pens and the deflected rocket shot.

Litch

As is the pile on.

He's had a really good couple of months and it was fairly quiet in here, lets in one saveable shot and all of sudden he is back to being shit again.

I agree about his technique, I've posted about it before, but he's still a good keeper who's been playing well lately, distribution hasn't been great, but his short game is better than his long game, the problem at the minute is for ball progression out of the defensive third the players just aren't there for his short game to be utilised to it's potential.
Agree. Yep, there are falls to his game but whoever is in the net, we be talking about theirs too. I think we have seen even the best ones make mistakes this season. The difference is, easier to hide when you are winning....

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
If I was a striker, I’d be going low against him every time. He can’t get down, every questionable goal is along the ground and his best saves are waist height or above.

Some goalkeeping nerd must have stats for expected goals conceded when then ball is 0.5 meters off the floor or less.
Yeah not good that our starting keeper has such a glaring weakness.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If I was a striker, I’d be going low against him every time. He can’t get down, every questionable goal is along the ground and his best saves are waist height or above.

Some goalkeeping nerd must have stats for expected goals conceded when then ball is 0.5 meters off the floor or less.
Not true at all. In his very last game his best save of the match (and one of his best of the season) was a ball that as skimming the grass on the way to him.

I actually think his best save this season was against Brighton, from Fati, which got overlooked in the shitness of the game overall and a nervous early season performance from Onana. That was another daisy cutter.

Stadjer

The stretching to absolve him of blame is nothing if not predictable. It shows the lower standards people have come to expect when he makes a horlicks of a simple bread and butter save and people rush to come up with reasons it's not his fault.

I've said it from the start, time and time again, it's his technique. It's poor and it's leading to goals like this over and over again. Even on the saves he makes (including last night) it's an absolute lottery where to ball goes after he saves it, he nearly punched a free kick in to the roof of the net last night and another when he slapped it down in to the 6 yard box needing a defender to clear.

I really, really hope we act decisively and get rid of this liability ASAP, particularly when the manager that lumbered us with him hopefully moves on.
This topic was fairly quiet for some time because Onana was actually playing really well. The moment he lets in a goal where he could have done better it becomes active again with post in the category of 'told you so i was right all along' and that Onana is absolute trash. Keepers do make mistakes from time to time. When was Onana his last mistake? Every time Onana could have done better people will pile on them because they want to double down on their earlier claim and dont like that Onana made them look stupid with his performances.

Onana is a good goalkeeper. He will never be voted the best goalkeeper in the world and he will make mistakes but he is a good goalkeeper. Onana is here to stay and any new manager will identify other problem areas in the squad way before he will replace Onana. A manager like De Zerbi or possession based manager would likely love to work with Onana.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Rubbish for the first goal, BUT - and as I say this as someone who has been very critical of him - I am willing to accept one of those every few months if he's playing well the rest of the time and it is literally just once every few months (and this would be the first for a few months).

Pintu

He must feel like he is playing a different sport…. He used to play for clubs that dominated most games in their leagues. Clubs that played the ball from the back swiftly and conceded very few shots per game…. He is now the keeper of a team that plays like a relegation side.

lex talionis

Yes of course he should have saved the shot on the first goal but no keeper always saves those shots. Otherwise, a solid performance.

Dan_F

Not true at all. In his very last game his best save of the match (and one of his best of the season) was a ball that as skimming the grass on the way to him.

I actually think his best save this season was against Brighton, from Fati, which got overlooked in the shitness of the game overall and a nervous early season performance from Onana. That was another daisy cutter.
That’s great but I said every questionable goal is along the ground. I’m not saying he never saves them.

I might be talking out my arse, or I might watch a compilation of his mistakes tomorrow and let you know.

criticalanalysis

That’s great but I said every questionable goal is along the ground. I’m not saying he never saves them.

I might be talking out my arse, or I might watch a compilation of his mistakes tomorrow and let you know.
From the top of my head, yes this is mostly true. His technique/footwork is very inconsistent.

He's playing well enough and we really shouldn't be conceding 20+ shots a game but he's made many questionable poor saves that have resulted in goals.

git_united

He must feel like he is playing a different sport…. He used to play for clubs that dominated most games in their leagues. Clubs that played the ball from the back swiftly and conceded very few shots per game…. He is now the keeper of a team that plays like a relegation side.

It’s not great but I honestly think there’s a copycat effect thing going on. Players think (know?) he’s error prone and try their luck. More troubling are the xg adjusted stats and the eye-watering fragility and openness.

Wing Attack Plan R

He's playing a lot better than when he first joined us. However, his special skill set of being able to play with his feet doesn't seem to be that unique, a lot of keepers in the PL seem to have the same ability, with a fair few of them being better shot-stoppers too. He's launched a couple of eye-catching attacks that resulted in goals. Unclear whether this is his best or by playing with a very weakened team we just aren't seeing his best.

Nonameisknown

Supports
United
The gall to criticise the keeper of a top 6 team that faces the same number of shots as a bottom 3 team. If he was a former Luton OR Sheffield United keeper, then I'd say understandable. But we are talking of a keeper coming from teams who do not and should not face more that 10-15 shots a game and here he is being peppered match after match and people have the audacity to talk about weakness and flaws. I shake my head vigorously.

lex talionis

The gall to criticise the keeper of a top 6 team that faces the same number of shots as a bottom 3 team. If he was a former Luton OR Sheffield United keeper, then I'd say understandable. But we are talking of a keeper coming from teams who do not and should not face more that 10-15 shots a game and here he is being peppered match after match and people have the audacity to talk about weakness and flaws. I shake my head vigorously.
This defense doesn't stand to reason. If Onana faces 30 shots he's supposed to save he should save all 30 shots. If he saves 27 shots he's supposed to save but is beaten by 3 other shots he's supposed to save, he doesn't get a pass on those 3 because he saved 27.

Onana is a decent keeper, neither remarkable as a shot stopper nor in terms of command of the box. His footwork is above average, although his footwork has in no way transformed United into goal-scoring juggernaut. It wouldn't be hard to identify 10 better keepers in the PL alone, although he's done enough for me this season to not worry about the keeper position for the next 2-3 seasons as we have much higher priorities to address if we're going to seriously compete for a top four spot again.

Cantonalegod

Most of those shots are not on target though.

We face 5.03 shots per game that are on target, which is exactly the same as Newcastle for example.

However they have conceeded 111 less shots than us, but 8 more goals from those shots.

We have the lowest ratio of goals conceeded per shot in the league.

Nonameisknown

Supports
United
Most of those shots are not on target though.

We face 5.03 shots per game that are on target, which is exactly the same as Newcastle for example.

However they have conceeded 111 less shots than us, but 8 more goals from those shots.

We have the lowest ratio of goals conceeded per shot in the league.
Thanks to Onana.

Nonameisknown

Supports
United
This defense doesn't stand to reason. If Onana faces 30 shots he's supposed to save he should save all 30 shots. If he saves 27 shots he's supposed to save but is beaten by 3 other shots he's supposed to save, he doesn't get a pass on those 3 because he saved 27.

Onana is a decent keeper, neither remarkable as a shot stopper nor in terms of command of the box. His footwork is above average, although his footwork has in no way transformed United into goal-scoring juggernaut. It wouldn't be hard to identify 10 better keepers in the PL alone, although he's done enough for me this season to not worry about the keeper position for the next 2-3 seasons as we have much higher priorities to address if we're going to seriously compete for a top four spot again.
Wow! Goal keepers turn teams to goal scoring juggernauts. I thought that was the job of the atackers. My bad, my football knowledge isn't that great. It's amazing the mental gymnastics you had to go through to convince yourself that a top 6 team goal keeper facing 30 shots per game is normal and he must save all. Left to you, there'd be no defenders in front of him at all just to see how great he is at being a football magnet. Onana, the goal keeper that never let's a ball through.

Oscar Bonavena

I like Onana, but we need to reconcile ourselves to the fact that Onana will concede goals like the first one several times a season. For whatever reason, low shots down to his side are a problem.

In a solid team that don't give up many chances, it's manageable. In a team like ours that concede Sheffield United levels of shots, it's going to bite us in the arse, which it did last night.

lex talionis

Wow! Goal keepers turn teams to goal scoring juggernauts. I thought that was the job of the atackers. My bad, my football knowledge isn't that great. It's amazing the mental gymnastics you had to go through to convince yourself that a top 6 team goal keeper facing 30 shots per game is normal and he must save all. Left to you, there'd be no defenders in front of him at all just to see how great he is at being a football magnet. Onana, the goal keeper that never let's a ball through.
Hopefully this is satire and not a sincere belief that if a keeper stops 15 easy shots that he can be forgiven for having failed to stop 5 easy shots that squibbed between his gloves then his legs.

Keepers face a dilemma when they sign up to be keepers. They will make mistakes and when they do they will get peltered by people like us and it will always be that way. The mistake Onana made yesterday, however, was well within toletable limits and we lost the match for a number of other reasons so there’s not much on him, unlike his performances in the CL, but the point earlier today is a very different point.

Dan_F

You also said his best saves are waist high or above. Which was what I was disagreeing with.
Right. Clearly I’m not talking in definitive terms here. He’s making 20 saves a game, of course it will be a mix of heights. I can certainly remember a lot more acrobatic saves higher up, but like I said, I’m just going off memory.

Oranges038

That particular poster has been banging on about people saying he would transform the attack since last year. Hasn't been able to provide a stitch or proof of anyone actually saying that. But yet, here they are again after he lets in a poor goal trotting out the same nonsense.

No team should be conceding 20-30 shots on goal regularly, most games should be 7 to 10 with a couple on target. Utd's setup at the minute is laughable, playing a high press with snails at the back sitting deep and abandoning the midfield is a recipe for disaster.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I like how fast he threw the ball out for one of the goals, can't remember which.

I used to become really frustrated with DDG holding on to the ball and then apologising for not distributing it out

evil_geko

Good lad Onana, he is doing better and better, feck the haters.

mu4c_20le

How many shots are top 6 keepers supposed to face then?

tomaldinho1

Any good striker does this anyway - it’s harder to get down than save something at waist height or above. Goals like this go in every week, there’s nothing wrong saying he could have got his hand to it but it’s hardly a huge error.

OverratedOpinion

Less than half what we are conceeding according to this table:

“They are developing very well in their progress. We are in a good way, a good direction and need to make the next steps. You need to follow the process.”

Pintu

He's great with the ball but his saves and general keeping are not good enough.
What is good enough?

We are unbeaten against Pool this season and he certainly contributed to this… Last year we lost 7-0 to a lower xGs than this.

(not to forget they needed a very soft pen to equalise)

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
What is good enough?

We are unbeaten against Pool this season and he certainly contributed to this… Last year we lost 7-0 to a lower xGs than this.

(not to forget they needed a very soft pen to equalise)
Sorry, their finishing was awful not that Onana made the saves.

Again stats are such a dumb concept.

Kaos

He's great with the ball but his saves and general keeping are not good enough.
Most saves out of any keeper in the league.

He might not be United's long term solution for the position but he isn't helped by the lobotomised defence in front of him. We'd probably want him if he played for City.

El Zoido

He's doing fine after a rough start. Maybe he could be upgraded on but he's far from being the problem.

cj_sparky

What was the applying of Vaseline to his gloves all about in the first half?

Thought he made some good saves overall, although some of them make the shot look far better than they may have been.