View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

RepardReece

The reason why these goals happen is because we conceed a ridiculous amount of shots.
Every game.
18 shots conceeded against Coventry.
We need to stop our opponents having free shooting practice during our games before we start looking at the goalkeeper.
Spot on. No goalkeeper in the world would save every saveable shot or not make a mistake at some point with the amount of shots Onana has faced.

Honestly kudos to him for how he's performed with the number of shots he's facing.

We're up there with the most shots per 90 in the prem this season, but then conceded the least goals per shot as well, if I'm reading correctly
(17.75 sh/90 and 0.07 G/Sh)
Looking here: https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/shooting/Premier-League-Stats

Ridiculous to ridicule Onana, come on we all have eyes, we're all seeing the same thing happen on the pitch, he's a non issue. He had a poor start yes, but has greatly performed in 2024.

DonkeyChops

Re: Onana

I don't know if he's instructed to slow everything down all the time but when he holds the ball an extra 5sec every other time he has the ball at his feet because he wants the forward to take one more step towards him or he starts time wasting in the 53rd minute when we're 2-0 up against a Championship team then it feels like he's just taking the piss.
Who can blame him for time wasting, even in that position? He'll know as well as anyone that the clowns in front of him can't be relied on to just close a game down and see it out. Week in, week out we get to the last fifteen minutes and the team collectively shit themselves regardless of the score or performance to that point.

Is it a mentality thing now? Are they so used to throwing it away in the last few minutes that they now actually expect it to happen and feel powerless to stop it?

OldTrevil

Has been a good signing for me no doubt, even at the beginning when everyone was getting up in arms, he was still coming up with crucial saves, delivering good build up play and certainly better than calamitous DDG.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He was good yesterday. You can't blame him for the goals conceded.

A penalty, a one in a million type of deflection (how many of these have we had this season?), and an unmarked player in the 6 yard box which the defence/midfielders really should have picked up.

Stadjer

Takes years on the ball rather than getting attacks moving. Credit for the penalty saves. You always know he’s going to have an influence by his confidence in them.
Have you seen our attackers? Onana taking time on the ball gets us some possession because most of our midfielders and attackers lose it very quickly after receiving it. Onana would need to make even more saves if he doesnt keep the ball.

It is boring that he keeps the ball at his feet for such a long time and the opponent isnt pressing him but with this team, it is the best approach. Especially when we are leading. If Onana didnt take his time on the ball then Coventry could have used that time to score another goal....

Rake

Was that shot that hit the bar from Coventry a save btw? Would be incredible if so
Watched the replay again and I don't think it was. If he did touch it, it was such a marginal connection with the ball that it did not change the trajectory.

I think he should have done better for the second goal. He had ample time to react. Otherwise he had a decent game.

TheGame

Have you seen our attackers? Onana taking time on the ball gets us some possession because most of our midfielders and attackers lose it very quickly after receiving it. Onana would need to make even more saves if he doesnt keep the ball.

It is boring that he keeps the ball at his feet for such a long time and the opponent isnt pressing him but with this team, it is the best approach. Especially when we are leading. If Onana didnt take his time on the ball then Coventry could have used that time to score another goal....
Yes the midfield is a problem but it slows us down each time. I understand he has to pick the pass but mostly it's the same pass he could have made 5-10 seconds earlier.

SER19

That time wasting has to stop. Who thinks it's a good idea? It's pointless and makes us look very insecure and weak.

Other than that, I thought he did well yesterday.
Agree on that, I was just stunned watching. Why bother? It just bleeds into the team, this casual, slowed down thing, while absolutely coasting. That aside, I think Onana has been a very good signing - although his european form was genuinely horrific. Thankfully it hasnt translated into the league and the amount of chances he faces is unforgivable for a top team. Like all players, he will also improve with better players around him and a settled, ball playing defence would be brilliant. Ive no doubts about him if playing behind a proper defence and DM

Matt Varnish

Because he lacks basic intelligence and game skills.
Wasting time with 20mins to go!
The bloke is a joke

Matt Varnish

Been there a few times in the net. Its hard to describe how you get rooted when a shot gets deflected.
The save onto the bar has gone under the radar....
FFS it was straight at him! All he had to do was raise his hands

Rojofiam

I think he’s a top player. There’s clearly a portion of people who don’t want to give him any chance after his early blunders, but he’s been too draw in the second half of the season. What happened to giving new players to settle, particularly in goal where it’s such a high profile position. At the moment I couldn’t be happier with him and think we have actually landed on the right player.
I feel like a lot of people subconsciously think we have to get it wrong first, before we get it right with replacing a long-term goalkeeper, just because we went through a few of them between Schmeichel and van Der Sar, so that logic would dictate that Onana cannot replace DDG adequately, but he's already had more great performances than the Spaniard in his last few seasons at the club.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
How come he got a yellow in the penalty shootout when he was booked in the actual match? Didn’t think that could happen.

pacifictheme

How come he got a yellow in the penalty shootout when he was booked in the actual match? Didn’t think that could happen.
This is what happened in mid week to Martinez. Yellows from the match and shootout are separate as the penalty shootout is not considered part of the match or something.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This is what happened in mid week to Martinez. Yellows from the match and shootout are separate as the penalty shootout is not considered part of the match or something.
Will he not face a match ban then?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Third one at 0:40

Would love to see him make a save like this once in awhile. Deflected shots are not impossible and it's not harsh to expect keepers to react a little quicker, or at least make the effort.
No. 6 - What a stop, I miss DDG. :(
I think many get blinded by the limitations of his play with the ball at his feet or his weird mistake moments in recent seasons, but he was just fundamentally an incredible shot stopper. The ultimate last line of defence.
Too often this season it has looked like Onana give up on the save before the goal is even scored.

lex talionis

The goals were unsaveable and he made that one outstanding save. His standing with the foot on the ball is counterproductive and needs to stop, but that’s a small quibble.

Onana’s berating of the ref might have had on the impact to call the Coventry goal offside, but probably not. Good to see from a keeper.

Stadjer

No. 6 - What a stop, I miss DDG. :(
I think many get blinded by the limitations of his play with the ball at his feet or his weird mistake moments in recent seasons, but he was just fundamentally an incredible shot stopper. The ultimate last line of defence.
Too often this season it has looked like Onana give up on the save before the goal is even scored.
Rewatch DDG his last game for Manchester United and that feeling of missing him should go away

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
He did the same time wasting stuff at Ajax and I do always wonder whether that doesn't psychologically have the opposite effect on the team than the one he's going for.

I think just playing at your own pace with confidence and trust feels like the better option in all cases except the one when you are actually in the last minutes and already under overwhelming pressure. Pre-empting it just feels like you're introducing an unnecessary element of doubt or whatever.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Third one at 0:40

Would love to see him make a save like this once in awhile. Deflected shots are not impossible and it's not harsh to expect keepers to react a little quicker, or at least make the effort.
Like 2:19 in this vid?

the_cliff

Overall happy with this signing. Considering people have a problem with his shot stopping he's statistically the best performing goal keeper in the league this season.

We've conceded about 16 less goals than we should have this season in terms of xGA. The next best performers in the league are Liverpool, Spurs and Luton who have conceded around 8-9 less than their xGA.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
They rarely get saved when the deflected shot goes in the opposite direction to the shot. To also say he has issues with deflections is laughable because all goalkeepers have the same issue.

Not sure why people seem to create these false narratives about him?
Exactly, Bruno's goal was a massive deflection but I don't see the Coventry keeper getting any crap thrown at him

Man Utd 4:2 Sheffield Utd New

Stadjer

Very inactive in here.... shouldnt the pile on begin? He actually reminded me of DDG with that bad pass. A shame because he didnt make mistakes for quite a while.

criticalanalysis

I can forgive the pass, that will happen as it was just a poor lapse of judgement/technique. The closing down afterwards for the goal and sprawling out instead of protecting his near post, I cannot. Nothing new here but again inconsistent/poor fundamentals.

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Very inactive in here.... shouldnt the pile on begin? He actually reminded me of DDG with that bad pass. A shame because he didnt make mistakes for quite a while.
That's always a possibility if we.play this way, it's not really a stick to beat him with when you think of the amount of those passes he gets right.

tomaldinho1

That’s the type of error I thought we’d have a lot more of, from memory big passing errors are only Gala (and Case didn’t need to get a red) and this?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Yep, the level-headed fans amongst us will see that for what it is, a hazard of the job. Even the best ball playing players will make the odd passing error.

Red Royal

Would have had pelters on here had we dropped points. I think he made 1 very good save.. not a good performance but we move on.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I have zero faith in the bloke. I like him alot as a personality - sadly not as a keeper.

People are right to point out the odd passing error isn't a big deal. But it doesn't help.

Oranges038

Disaster for the first goal. Otherwise had feck all to do really, might have made 1 good save.

Played another peach of a through ball over the top that Garnacho should have scored from. That's twice in 2 games he's done that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That’s the type of error I thought we’d have a lot more of, from memory big passing errors are only Gala (and Case didn’t need to get a red) and this?
Yeah, I was thinking that. Look at how often a brilliant keeper like Allison gets involved in conceding similar chances/goals. Two over an entire season does seem to be about par (or below?) given his style of play. I wouldn’t have any doubts about him at all if those were the only two errors. In fact, if we could ignore the CL howler, then I’d be pretty happy with him overall.