5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Thought he played well overall but the blatant time wasting is daft as feck. Does far more harm than anything else.
I don't know if he's instructed to slow everything down all the time but when he holds the ball an extra 5sec every other time he has the ball at his feet because he wants the forward to take one more step towards him or he starts time wasting in the 53rd minute when we're 2-0 up against a Championship team then it feels like he's just taking the piss.

Litch

As a keeper, sometimes you get wrong footed by a deflection and you end up rooted to the spot. You're prepared for the shot, you make the first move, it takes a huge deflection and you just can't take that second movement to adjust. It just happens. It's absolute nonsense to try and blame him in anyway for either of their first 2 goals.

1. AWB non existent at left back for the first, just doing his usual trudge back, no idea what Maguire is doing, he's caught half way between telling AWB what to do and trying to do it himself. Free cross, Dalot tries to pass Simms to Casemiro who's already picking up a players Simms unmarked 8 yards out, tucked in near post.

Onana should do better.....

2. Free shot 20 yards. Neither McT or AWB even attempt a block. AWB just turns his lazy arse to it, instead of actually making at decent effort to block the shot, ball bounces off him and flies in far top corner.

Onana should do better....

And you have a poster above complaining he didn't try to save a shot that went wide.

It's actually laughable at this stage.

Getting no credit for touching that Simms effort onto the bar either.
Been there a few times in the net. Its hard to describe how you get rooted when a shot gets deflected.
The save onto the bar has gone under the radar....

tomaldinho1

Thought he was decent. In a shootout you trust the GK can get one to give you a chance, can be happy with his game.

saik

As a keeper, sometimes you get wrong footed by a deflection and you end up rooted to the spot. You're prepared for the shot, you make the first move, it takes a huge deflection and you just can't take that second movement to adjust. It just happens. It's absolute nonsense to try and blame him in anyway for either of their first 2 goals.

1. AWB non existent at left back for the first, just doing his usual trudge back, no idea what Maguire is doing, he's caught half way between telling AWB what to do and trying to do it himself. Free cross, Dalot tries to pass Simms to Casemiro who's already picking up a players Simms unmarked 8 yards out, tucked in near post.

Onana should do better.....

2. Free shot 20 yards. Neither McT or AWB even attempt a block. AWB just turns his lazy arse to it, instead of actually making at decent effort to block the shot, ball bounces off him and flies in far top corner.

Onana should do better....

And you have a poster above complaining he didn't try to save a shot that went wide.

It's actually laughable at this stage.

Getting no credit for touching that Simms effort onto the bar either.
I'm not blaming him for the sake of blaming. I have been very patient with him and today was the first time I felt he could have done better. The first shot that you mentioned that was tucked away, it was actually shinned with not that much power and was not far off from where Onana was standing. The 2nd one too, he took a step in the direction the ball was looping not away from it, so I don't think it was a case of him being wrong footed. He had enough time before the ball went in to actually make an effort to stop it. He probably thought it was going wide or whatever but his reactions needs work in my opinion. His sweeping, composure, passing are good but he is a little suspect in the shot saving part.

Nas-JR

In what world do people live in? Among the only players to come of that with any credit. Really good save for the volley, incredible save in extra time.

First 60/70 mins his balls over the top to the wide men and awb kept us in control and he basically never lost the ball. I'm pretty sure he had really great passes over the top (was it the one to Bruno that led to garnachos chance in 1st half? Or was it rashfords chance where he just yanked It wide after put through). I'd love to see a compilation of his passing today.

He also came out a lot and gathered crosses quite well. Even did well dribbling past a few players! People will claim it made them tense but he almost always does it well! Only horrific pass he's had all year is vs galatasary.

Not even considering the fact he basically won us the pen shootout by doing a martinez. There's a single moment that could be pointed to in the looping goal but was a complete freak of goal. I'd genuinely want to know what more people want from their goal keeper in today's game.

Oranges038

Been there a few times in the net. Its hard to describe how you get rooted when a shot gets deflected.
The save onto the bar has gone under the radar....
Yeah, it's nearly impossible to explain, but it does happen. You base your first movement off where the ball is going from the shot, once it takes a deflection, a lot of times you just end up not being able to adjust. Which is what happened today.

Quality touch onto the bar, the defending leading up to it was atrocious.

izec

Could have done better for the second goal, seen them saved. He has issues with deflections though. Deflections make it more difficult, but it does not mean it is unsaveable all the time. With a better reaction, he saves that one today.

Litch

Could have done better for the second goal, seen them saved. He has issues with deflections though. Deflections make it more difficult, but it does not mean it is unsaveable all the time. With a better reaction, he saves that one today.
They rarely get saved when the deflected shot goes in the opposite direction to the shot. To also say he has issues with deflections is laughable because all goalkeepers have the same issue.

Not sure why people seem to create these false narratives about him?

frostbite

He is slow to react. This is really hard to improve, the best goalkeepers were born with excellent reflexes, Onana doesn't have that. After watching the replays, in the first goal he is slow for a fraction of a second and this makes him unable to reach to the ball, in the second goal he falls to his knees. He is trying, but unfortunately he lacks this "top reflexes" ability. Theoretically, he can get better with training, but I am afraid he is too old to really improve much. I think that he will never be a world class goalkeeper.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If Onana had peak De Gea's shot stopping abilities, but was also useless with the ball, he'd probably be rated higher on here.

As soon as we start controlling our games, be that under ETH or someone else, like you said, Onana will be able to showcase his passing, and ball-playing qualities even more, whilst also facing way fewer shots.

I said this before, but if you swapped Ederson with Onana, I don't think City's overall game or results would be much different, whilst Ederson would concede a ton of goals here at United, just like Onana has, whilst also not having his strengths maximized (passing, on the ball abilities) like he has at City.
Agreed.

Once you have more control in the game with and without the ball, then we'll see a upturn in fortunes because currently the team is very vulnerable due to the players missing through injury, which has had a detrimental effect on our ability to build play from the back which has then further compounded our inability to contain the opponents transitions. So with players like Shaw and Martinez missing for most of the season, our build up capability has been severely weakened.

So does ten Hag do what he did last season when he set up in a mid-block whilst not committing at all to the high press with Martinez and Shaw available and Casemiro playing well?. I don't think that way of playing is effective without Martinez and Shaw being available. And what he's instead done is that he's going more direct, but has attempted to implement the high press without committing the fullbacks forward a lot of the times, which does leave space for opponents on the sides where the fullback would normally be pushing up to support the coordinated pressing sequences. That there is the issue for ten Hag who imo doesn't trust the CBs to go 1v1 at the back hence we can't maintain compactness due to the fullbacks not always backing up the press hence the spaces between our own lines become larger. But it's a risk he's willing to take and it's a weakness in the system that is easily rectified by signing the correct 2 or 3 players who fit the requirements of the system.

If Ederson was with us, then he would be considered a very mediocre GK imo. His strengths are in what he adds to the City team on the ball but there's many opinions that only see the GK as someone who is there to save shots and keep the ball out of the net. But the teams that expect their GK to provide the extra man option in possession, are also those teams that have set the standards in the league. To close the gap on those teams it's necessary to take steps towards closing that gap. And the signing of Onana is a step towards playing a more proactive brand of football. Unfortunately we lost both Shaw and Martinez with Mainoo also missing a large part of the season, which has affected us.

I don't think we're that far away from being a very competitive team. But the CB positions and deeper midfield positions need to be reinforced with players who fit a certain criteria. Fullbacks, attacking midfielders etc aren't as important as having strong CBs, strong deeper mids because the CBs and deeper midfielders are far more important to the actual system of play imo.

I'm interested in seeing who we sign in those positions and I hope we don't overlook the pace and power aspect along with the technical requirements in possession when assessing new signings.

Oranges038

By who and when?

Every goalkeeper has issues with deflections.

mu4c_20le

By who and when?

Third one at 0:40

Would love to see him make a save like this once in awhile. Deflected shots are not impossible and it's not harsh to expect keepers to react a little quicker, or at least make the effort.

Oranges038

Would love to see him make a save like this once in awhile. Deflected shots are not impossible and it's not harsh to expect keepers to react a little quicker, or at least make the effort.
There's one from Bogdan Lobont like that as well.

Incredibly rare to see a keeper do that if we're being honest, in here you'd think it happened every week. When you set for the shot and it takes a wicked deflection it is very very difficult to readjust to the flight of the ball. Don't see anyone saying the Coventry keeper should have saved Bruno's goal, but Onana probably would get blamed there.

AWB was horrendous for all 3 goals and he got very lucky on the offside. That's Brentford, Liverpool and today, 3 matches and he's mostly been at fault for 5 goals.

But Onana gets blamed for not making the saves.

Syphon Wallet

The reason why these goals happen is because we conceed a ridiculous amount of shots.
Every game.
18 shots conceeded against Coventry.
We need to stop our opponents having free shooting practice during our games before we start looking at the goalkeeper.

tomaldinho1

Didn’t he do it vs Brentford and West Ham already just this season?

OverratedOpinion

By who and when?

I think Onana is excellent but I did agree he could have done better there. In terms of keeper reflexes he had an awful lot of time from the point the ball hit the defender to when it went in. Was not that far away either, got his feet tangled a bit too easily.

Other than that he was good and made 1 absolutely staggering save from the volley in the second half.

mu4c_20le

Didn’t he do it vs Brentford and West Ham already just this season?
He's made some decent saves on slight deflections but I can't remember one where he changes direction completely. He usually freezes like a mime in those situations

saivet

Overall good game but I too think he could have done better for their second goal. Better reaction and that's not unreachable in my opinion. He might not save it but he could have got closer to that.

Reiver

Probably going against the grain here but I think the second is unsaveable. Doesn't matter if he could have got closer to it, just whether he could save it, and I don't think he could.

Oranges038

Probably going against the grain here but I think the second is unsaveable. Doesn't matter if he could have got closer to it, just whether he could save it, and I don't think he could.
Just the same people looking to blame him for every goal, when you have people complaining he didn't dive for a shot that went wide, there's something seriously wrong.

arthurka

Another season but still not sold on him. He and three others get a pass for this game.

statpadder

I’ve played keeper for a while - the second one is saveable. He gives up because he’s wrong footed and hopes that it goes out. If he reacts quicker and tries to get there, he does!

Litch

Every goal conceded gets forensically examined by some on here, to the point where he basically should be saving everything.

Pintu

I’ve played keeper for a while - the second one is saveable. He gives up because he’s wrong footed and hopes that it goes out. If he reacts quicker and tries to get there, he does!
Or he gets injured and out for the rest of the season… We aren’t winning the shootout (if we reach it) without him.

Sylar

being rooted to the spot is hard to explain as it's happened to me when playing in goal. It takes a deflection and it's like everything goes in slow motion but you can't move and just end up watching what happens.

Was confident he would save a penalty or two.

He's been solid if not spectacular which is what I was expecting when we bought him. The cl campaign is the issue for his season and he was rightfully criticised for it.

One thing I give him massive leeway on his the defensive partnerships in front of him. Having a new partnership in front of you every game is a big problem because you don't get into any rhythm or consistency.
If he had a settled back two and dm it would help him a lot when he has the ball.

We unfortunately have a team that is set up to allow 20+ shots per game which is ridiculous

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
being rooted to the spot is hard to explain as it's happened to me when playing in goal. It takes a deflection and it's like everything goes in slow motion but you can't move and just end up watching what happens.

Was confident he would save a penalty or two.

He's been solid if not spectacular which is what I was expecting when we bought him. The cl campaign is the issue for his season and he was rightfully criticised for it.

One thing I give him massive leeway on his the defensive partnerships in front of him. Having a new partnership in front of you every game is a big problem because you don't get into any rhythm or consistency.
If he had a settled back two and dm it would help him a lot when he has the ball.

We unfortunately have a team that is set up to allow 20+ shots per game which is ridiculous
Good summary. He's made more howlers than I hoped for but also been exceptional a good few times. Yesterday's penalty shootout is another notch in his belt. That save in the shootout changed everything and I had more confidence in him going in than I ever did with Dave.

Sylar

Good summary. He's made more howlers than I hoped for but also been exceptional a good few times. Yesterday's penalty shootout is another notch in his belt. That save in the shootout changed everything and I had more confidence in him going in than I ever did with Dave.
Funny thing is when ddg joined I was more confident in him saving penalties or one on one's and thought his box presence could and would improve. Actually thought ddg was great with his feet when playing under Fergie.
Those things regressed badly but his shot stopping became so much better until about 2018/19

Onana I'm confident right now with him coming out the box, sweeping and trying to communicate and command. Interested to see how his second season goes

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Funny thing is when ddg joined I was more confident in him saving penalties or one on one's and thought his box presence could and would improve. Actually thought ddg was great with his feet when playing under Fergie.
Those things regressed badly but his shot stopping became so much better until about 2018/19

Onana I'm confident right now with him coming out the box, sweeping and trying to communicate and command. Interested to see how his second season goes
I think with Martinez and a class CB alongside him, our passing and penetrating from defense to midfield and attack will significantly improve. He's also been good distributing the ball with hands and feet quickly to start attacks.

Acquire Me

Obama is a true warrior. Had some doubts about him tbh, but he has been outstanding in the last 15 games or so.

I can’t wait to see him with a better defensive setup in front of him.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think he’s a top player. There’s clearly a portion of people who don’t want to give him any chance after his early blunders, but he’s been too draw in the second half of the season. What happened to giving new players to settle, particularly in goal where it’s such a high profile position. At the moment I couldn’t be happier with him and think we have actually landed on the right player.

Litch

Lets not forget, this is his first season yet it seems the days of getting a season to 'settle in' are long gone...? Also starts his career with an horrendous defence with changes, injuries and really poor form in front of him.
How many Keepers want to take the keepers Jersey from DDG?

I honestly cant think of a worst time to join this club as a keeper. Whilst people might question his ability, Im in know doubt he's 100% got the mentality a Utd player should have.

If people park the CL horrendous calamity, I think hes been one of the few positives this season.

Litch

I think he’s a top player. There’s clearly a portion of people who don’t want to give him any chance after his early blunders, but he’s been too draw in the second half of the season. What happened to giving new players to settle, particularly in goal where it’s such a high profile position. At the moment I couldn’t be happier with him and think we have actually landed on the right player.
Funny didnt read this, just wrote the same thing....

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Have we worked out if he saved the Simms shot that hit hte bar? that was a cracking save if so.

But yeah, really good game, and decisive in the shoot-out.

Whoever is telling him to waste time really early in the second half though needs to feck right off.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Have we worked out if he saved the Simms shot that hit hte bar? that was a cracking save if so.

But yeah, really good game, and decisive in the shoot-out.

Whoever is telling him to waste time really early in the second half though needs to feck right off.
I think he gets the slightest of touches. That might have been just enough to push it onto the bar, it’s a crazy save really.

Red Royal

I am glad Emi Martinez had his mid week 2 yellows in his shootout before Onana got his 2nd yellow in our shootout, otherwise I'd probably have had a full melt down thinking he was sent off. Odd that the ref gave him one in same week as most of us learned that a shootout 2nd yellow doesn't mean a sending off (almost like he wanted to, especially as Cov keeper was doing worse in the shootout).