Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

lost7

I like his attitude, one of the few players who seems to have balls in the team

Cabin Clown

He was immense today. After a shocking start to his career we're seeing the best of him now.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He was immense considering the situation we found ourselves in. He's a GK with a strong mentality and his personality definitely shows on the pitch, which hasn't been the case with our GK position for many years before.

InfernalDark

Got a second yellow in penalties, so he is out from next league game?

Last edited:

saik

My patience with him is starting to wear thin. Any shot that is hit low, he is struggling to save it. I felt he could have done better for both their 1st and 2nd goals. The first one was not even a clean hit. And for the 2nd goal even if was a huge deflection, he actually took a step in the direction the ball was looping and then stopped. I'm convinced he could have got there if he didn't stop.

Maybe his mind is slow or his body is slow, whatever it is, his reactions are not great. There are mid table Prem keepers with better reflexes. Ofcourse he can pass better and has better composure than the lot of them but his reactions leave a lot to be desired for me.

Rojofiam

He is the new Barthez. Sometimes good, but never too far away from an embarrassing disaster.

Good enough for the 6-8th best team in PL. Not good enough for a top team.
He's way better than what you've described. Also, actual top teams concede way fewer chances than what Onana has had to deal with at United, so you could argue he suits a City or Arsenal type of possession-based, controlling team way more, than whatever it is we are currently doing on the pitch.

JonesyUk

I like his personality and his attitude, but I really don't get how people think this guy has come good just because he's cut out the blatant errors he was making.

His performances of late can be described as solid at best, but he's absolutely bang average given he doesn't save anything you wouldn't expect any professional keeper to.

There's a lot of talk about the number of shots we face, I think it's more teams have cottoned on to the fact if the ball is on target and not within about 2 feet either side of his body, Onana isn't saving it, so it's worth having a pot shot rather than working a better position. Especially if the shot is kept kept low. I mean, most top keepers at least manage to get close to most goals they conceed. He's always a mile off.

The save everyone got excited about today, while we'll struck, ultimately he could have saved with his head.

He's certainly not a top drawer keeper and his best level is just OK.

Andersons Dietician

I have no idea why he stopped on the 2nd goal. That was there to be stopped easily. He was moving in the right direction, had His feet under him and for whatever reason just stopped. Terrible bit of keeping.

ScholesyTheWise

Very weird reaction to their deflected goal. one of the times where I think the GK could have done more, even though there was a big deflection.
why did he kneel? strange.

I'd say it's challenging to judge him as we have a shit midfield and the defense is ravaged with injuries.
Still though, he doesn't instill confidence in me.
He's better than he was at the beginning of the season,
and he's not the most urgent problem (if at all) to fix as we have tons of more crucial ones,

But I have to say that I don't like the fact that he's our number one GK.

Would have been interesting to see him behind the defense we had in the first half of the previous season- both the players and the form they were in.

Edit: agree completely with @El Jefe. He's just about passable.

Oranges038

Ball takes massive deflection and loops into the far top corner and the keeper should be saving it.....

AWB is the laziest defender going, turning his arse to the ball instead actually trying to close down the shot. That's where the blame should be going. Not to Onana.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Very weird reaction to their deflected goal. one of the times where I think the GK could have done more, even though there was a big deflection.
why did he kneel? strange.
I thought the same thing. The ball seemed to take an age to loop in but he didn't move his feet quickly enough. Feels a bit harsh criticising a keeper for not saving a deflected shot but I can't help but feel like he could have done better there.

Bobski

Ball takes massive deflection and loops into the far top corner and the keeper should be saving it.....

AWB is the laziest defender going, turning his arse to the ball instead actually trying to close down the shot. That's where the blame should be going. Not to Onana.
It looked odd because he gave up on it very early. Don't think he would have got there given the loop but at least move the feet.

ScholesyTheWise

I thought the same thing. The ball seemed to take an age to loop in but he didn't move his feet quickly enough. Feels a bit harsh criticising a keeper for not saving a deflected shot but I can't help but feel like he could have done better there.
Makes you wonder, if he stayed on his feet, whether he could have taken 2 steps backward and pushed it over the bar with his fingers.
it's a big gamble to take and I'm not sure how other keepers would have dealt with it.

But it's no wonder that many are commenting on it. looked odd as hell.

mu4c_20le

He is the new Barthez. Sometimes good, but never too far away from an embarrassing disaster.

Good enough for the 6-8th best team in PL. Not good enough for a top team.
He's Claudio Bravo. Difference is Pep had the sense to recognize his mistake and correct it immediately.

Andersons Dietician

It looked odd because he gave up on it very early. Don't think he would have got there given the loop but at least move the feet.
I’m the opposite I think he would have gotten there very easily. He just gave up on it. Maybe he lost his bearing, maybe he thought he might crash in to the post but that was there to be stopped.

Unam333

So Onana got his second yellow card in the penalty shootout, but stayed on just like Emi Martinez in the Conference League?

Onana will be suspended for the next PL game right?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
So Onana got his second yellow card in the penalty shootout, but stayed on just like Emi Martinez in the Conference League?

They said on commentary it doesn't work like that. No ban apparently.

Bocca9978

Why did he drop to his knee (as always) when the ball defected into the air. The ball was high and looping way over him and he chose to drop to his knees. Instead to trying to make a save.

When there was a shot that just went wide, he again doesn’t try to save it.

I want him to be good and he has improved. But I want him gone like I did Bathez.

Unam333

They said on commentary it doesn't work like that. No ban apparently.
Very confusing.

At least we have a keeper in goal now who occasionally saves a penalty. I still have nightmares about that penalty shootout vs. Villareal.

saik

Thing is, it was not that quick coming towards the goal, he had time to react and he actually took a step towards it and then completely stopped for no reason. He could have reached it if he didn't stop. Agreed AWB is to blame for being a complete dunce, but Onana could have done lot better than just stand there ball watching.

RedRocket9908

Suspensions for acumilation of yellow cards stop after the quarter final.stage

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Very confusing.

At least we have a keeper in goal now who occasionally saves a penalty. I still have nightmares about that penalty shootout vs. Villareal.
Agreed, forgot what it's like to have any faith in your keeper at a shootout.

RedRocket9908

Very confusing.

We had that one against Middlesbrough as well where Dean Henderson failed to save any of the Middlesbrough penalties and got nowhere near most of them.

redshaw

Did well while the team went AWOL, I was confident he'd make a pen save and he also made a very good save in the match. The outfield players and the manager make for a crazy game in last 20-30 mins. We were 3-0 up and closing out all their counters easily then give them them a clear path back.

Oranges038

Thing is, it was not that quick coming towards the goal, he had time to react and he actually took a step towards it and then completely stopped for no reason. He could have reached it if he didn't stop. Agreed AWB is to blame for being a complete dunce, but Onana could have done lot better than just stand there ball watching.
As a keeper, sometimes you get wrong footed by a deflection and you end up rooted to the spot. You're prepared for the shot, you make the first move, it takes a huge deflection and you just can't take that second movement to adjust. It just happens. It's absolute nonsense to try and blame him in anyway for either of their first 2 goals.

1. AWB non existent at left back for the first, just doing his usual trudge back, no idea what Maguire is doing, he's caught half way between telling AWB what to do and trying to do it himself. Free cross, Dalot tries to pass Simms to Casemiro who's already picking up a players Simms unmarked 8 yards out, tucked in near post.

Onana should do better.....

2. Free shot 20 yards. Neither McT or AWB even attempt a block. AWB just turns his lazy arse to it, instead of actually making at decent effort to block the shot, ball bounces off him and flies in far top corner.

Onana should do better....

And you have a poster above complaining he didn't try to save a shot that went wide.

It's actually laughable at this stage.

Getting no credit for touching that Simms effort onto the bar either.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's way better than what you've described. Also, actual top teams concede way fewer chances than what Onana has had to deal with at United, so you could argue he suits a City or Arsenal type of possession-based, controlling team way more, than whatever it is we are currently doing on the pitch.
Agreed.

If your GK is a pure shot stopper, rather than someone that provides the +1 option in possession, then you've by default handed the initiative to the top teams who have that option. Ederson isn't a great GK for any person who judges the ability of the keeper by only focusing on saving shots. But for a school of thought that aims to dominate the game from the back by utilising the GK as the free man in possession, Ederson is amongst the very best GKs in the world and much better than a pure shot stopper in comparison.

Onana obviously has to maintain a consistent level when it comes to the bread and butter of goalkeeping. But as we evolve as a team and become more dominant at the back, where the CBs, Fullbacks and deeper midfielders raise the technical floor of the team in the build up phase, Onana's ability on the ball will become more obvious imo. Whether that's under ten Hag or Graham Potter remains to be seen, but I do believe Graham Potter is who INEOS want and he will be announced as the new head coach come the end of the season.

Lee565

That 2nd goal was odd, he was going that direction and the ball was looping slowly and he decided to kneel down, why?

Honestly part of me thinks he is part of illegal betting ring with some the stuff he has done this season, even the time wasting was messed, he was on a yellow and continued to try it in normal time as if he wants to cost us the game

Rojofiam

Agreed.

If your GK is a pure shot stopper, rather than someone that provides the +1 option in possession, then you've by default handed the initiative to the top teams who have that option. Ederson isn't a great GK for any person who judges the ability of the keeper by only focusing on saving shots. But for a school of thought that aims to dominate the game from the back by utilising the GK as the free man in possession, Ederson is amongst the very best GKs in the world and much better than a pure shot stopper in comparison.

Onana obviously has to maintain a consistent level when it comes to the bread and butter of goalkeeping. But as we evolve as a team and become more dominant at the back, where the CBs, Fullbacks and deeper midfielders raise the technical floor of the team in the build up phase, Onana's ability on the ball will become more obvious imo. Whether that's under ten Hag or Graham Potter remains to be seen, but I do believe Graham Potter is who INEOS want and he will be announced as the new head coach come the end of the season.
If Onana had peak De Gea's shot stopping abilities, but was also useless with the ball, he'd probably be rated higher on here.

As soon as we start controlling our games, be that under ETH or someone else, like you said, Onana will be able to showcase his passing, and ball-playing qualities even more, whilst also facing way fewer shots.

I said this before, but if you swapped Ederson with Onana, I don't think City's overall game or results would be much different, whilst Ederson would concede a ton of goals here at United, just like Onana has, whilst also not having his strengths maximized (passing, on the ball abilities) like he has at City.