5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Matt Varnish

You can do better.
In context you said " The thing you have to understand about Mr Varnish is that he really doesn't like Onana."
Which infers that you know me, and you also infer that I have a link with Mr Onana to form an opinion about him as a persn, and from that link I hae made the consious decision to dislike him.
Which in context is grammatically wrong, beause I do not know Mr Onana, I have never met him, like you I have based my opinion on his qualities as football based on what I have seen about his performances for United and other teams.
By viewing his cock ups for United and previous teams, including Internationals, I have the opinion he is not United quality.

You have a different opinon.
Opinions are like assholes, we all have one, (except my brother, he has a colostomy bag), as you grow and mature you will begin to understand this.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You can do better.
In context you said " The thing you have to understand about Mr Varnish is that he really doesn't like Onana."
Which infers that you know me, and you also infer that I have a link with Mr Onana to form an opinion about him as a persn, and from that link I hae made the consious decision to dislike him.
Which in context is grammatically wrong, beause I do not know Mr Onana, I have never met him, like you I have based my opinion on his qualities as football based on what I have seen about his performances for United and other teams.
By viewing his cock ups for United and previous teams, including Internationals, I have the opinion he is not United quality.

You have a different opinon.
Opinions are like assholes, we all have one, (except my brother, he has a colostomy bag), as you grow and mature you will begin to understand this.
You're posting in the performance thread of a football player, being deliberately obtuse is going to make you look a bit daft.

He's a poor keeper in a poor team, the first free kick Trippier had he was rooted to the spot. completely flat footed.
How rich are you mate?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Ah compare a goalkeeper in decline to one who is supposed to be in his prime, that's a great argument.
De Gea in his prime was far better than this clown
We didn’t have De Gea in his prime, we had him way past it! Even in his prime De Gea wouldn’t have suited the top teams we are aspiring to reach.

Owen Hargo

Prime de Gea? He’s a downgrade in the shot stopping department but is far better in several other aspects more befitting of what we are aiming for.
What is the point of goalkeeping if you can’t stop shots? Passing long balls and between the lines is not the GK’s job. We should have capable full backs with the ball

Matt Varnish

We didn’t have De Gea in his prime, we had him way past it! Even in his prime De Gea wouldn’t have suited the top teams we are aspiring to reach.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
He joined us around the age of 21, and stayed until he was about 31, 10 effing years!

Individual

Yeah he was shite in his prime.

You ignorance about him is outstanding.

TrustInJanuzaj

He joined us around the age of 21, and stayed until he was about 31, 10 effing years!

Individual

You’re so tedious. I obviously meant we didn’t have him in his prime the last few seasons. Sorry that I didn’t make that more painfully obvious.

Matt Varnish

You’re so tedious. I obviously meant we didn’t have him in his prime the last few seasons. Sorry that I didn’t make that more painfully obvious.
By tedious you mean right, I blew you and your post out of the water
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Where I come from that's called a face saving attempted suck back

TrustInJanuzaj

By tedious you mean right, I blew you and your post out of the water
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Where I come from that's called a face saving attempted suck back
Look at my posts and you’ll see I’ve been entirely consistent with De Gea. Called him a legend in the thread where people were questioning it. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t the right time for him to go. Onana mistakes and all has been far better than the version of De Gea from the past couple seasons.

Matt Varnish

Look at my posts and you’ll see I’ve been entirely consistent with De Gea. Called him a legend in the thread where people were questioning it. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t the right time for him to go. Onana mistakes and all has been far better than the version of De Gea from the past couple seasons.
I'm not saying in his final years he was the best thing sliced bread,
However he came to us as a raw recruit, and developed (with the right coaching) into one of the best keepers in the world

TrustInJanuzaj

However he came to us as a raw recruit, and developed (with the right coaching) into one of the best keepers in the world
Which I don’t have a problem with or disagree with. He was too too draw in his peak, that’s not me backtracking that’s always been my opinion. But it’s also been my opinion that for the last few seasons he had declined so much and was an active liability to the team, even if he could occasionally roll back time and pull off a great save. I’ve seen enough of Onana to say he will never be the consistent shot stopping machine of prime De Gea, but I’ve also seen enough to know that he Is much closer to the modern keeper we needed as a team and is a significant upgrade on the version of De Gea we had left. My only reservation on Onana is whether he can well and truly put the mistakes of the champions league behind him, but I’m willing to put a lot of that down to a new player settling into a (frankly terrible) team. As I have said In other posts, what happened to giving signings the benefit of the doubt in their first season? I still think there’s a large portion of fans who can’t get over De Gea and romanticise the player we had at the end of his time here, which was a shell of his peak.

Matt Varnish

Which I don’t have a problem with or disagree with. He was too too draw in his peak, that’s not me backtracking that’s always been my opinion. But it’s also been my opinion that for the last few seasons he had declined so much and was an active liability to the team, even if he could occasionally roll back time and pull off a great save. I’ve seen enough of Onana to say he will never be the consistent shot stopping machine of prime De Gea, but I’ve also seen enough to know that he Is much closer to the modern keeper we needed as a team and is a significant upgrade on the version of De Gea we had left. My only reservation on Onana is whether he can well and truly put the mistakes of the champions league behind him, but I’m willing to put a lot of that down to a new player settling into a (frankly terrible) team. As I have said In other posts, what happened to giving signings the benefit of the doubt in their first season? I still think there’s a large portion of fans who can’t get over De Gea and romanticise the player we had at the end of his time here, which was a shell of his peak.
I can agree with you about De Gea, I can also agree about giving players time.
However Onana arrived as an international with a narrative, he was (by some), put on a pedestal before he had even pulled on a United shirt.
Honestly I had never heard of him, I don't follow a lot of European football, save Venezia in Serie B (I hav emy reasons), so I did some rsearch on him, and what I found I did not like, I also know you should not judge a player on a few YouTube video's, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
He made mistake after mistake, and ultimately cost us our place in the ECL.
His mistakes are random, as are all mistakes, personally I think they are caused by complacency, a lack of oncentration, if he stays he will be another Jim Leighton, making a mistake that will cost us dearly.
He's actually worse than Barthez, and that is a diffcult bar to be below.

TrustInJanuzaj

I can agree with you about De Gea, I can also agree about giving players time.
However Onana arrived as an international with a narrative, he was (by some), put on a pedestal before he had even pulled on a United shirt.
Honestly I had never heard of him, I don't follow a lot of European football, save Venezia in Serie B (I hav emy reasons), so I did some rsearch on him, and what I found I did not like, I also know you should not judge a player on a few YouTube video's, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
He made mistake after mistake, and ultimately cost us our place in the ECL.
His mistakes are random, as are all mistakes, personally I think they are caused by complacency, a lack of oncentration, if he stays he will be another Jim Leighton, making a mistake that will cost us dearly.
He's actually worse than Barthez, and that is a diffcult bar to be below.
I’d say give him time to play in a better team. He may still have mistakes in him (I can live with the frequency of the second half of the season). His strengths are tailor made to play into a top team which is what we are aspiring to be. I don’t think there’s many keepers out there who would have thrived under this seasons circumstances. Just look at the clusterfeck of a defence being put out in front of him game after game and the sheer amount of shots we are giving up. There’s very few keepers who would be a roaring success under those same conditions!

Oranges038

And he could have been better had he not resisted the efforts of Frans Hoek to make him more of a team player in goal rather than just being a goal line stopper. When he left, he brought in his old pal from Atletico and his form and progression nose dived.

Matt Varnish

I’d say give him time to play in a better team. He may still have mistakes in him (I can live with the frequency of the second half of the season). His strengths are tailor made to play into a top team which is what we are aspiring to be. I don’t think there’s many keepers out there who would have thrived under this seasons circumstances. Just look at the clusterfeck of a defence being put out in front of him game after game and the sheer amount of shots we are giving up. There’s very few keepers who would be a roaring success under those same conditions!
4 shots on target from Sheffield United, 2 went in, that's a 50% success rate
Shots conceded inclue the high wide and handsome, what you have to look at is the shots on target, when you do that, he's one of the worst in the prem from on target to goals scored

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The thing you have to understand about Mr Varnish is that he really doesn't like Onana.
There's a reason he referred to 1.45 in the video linked before, Sheffield United's 2nd goal. It's because to him, that too is on Onana.
Just like pretty much every goal we concede.
Yeah I know, I just like to poke the bear now and then :D

iKeano

Poor with his hands.
Poor with his feet.
Costly mistakes all season.
Undroppable.
Walking off at half time on Wednesday laughing with AWB.
I've said it all along, Onana will be investigated for matchfixing before his career is done. He's a truly average keeper.
The shots he stops are 90% bread and butter for any Sunday league keeper. Yes his goal has been peppered, but his save rate deceives as every man and their dog now know to take a pop from anywhere at hollow hands, the keeper that jumps up to dive down.
Genuinely awful and blissfully unaware/unrepentant just like half the squad. Think they're better than Utd when they aren't fit to wear the badge.

Matt Varnish

Poor with his hands.
Poor with his feet.
Costly mistakes all season.
Undroppable.
Walking off at half time on Wednesday laughing with AWB.
I've said it all along, Onana will be investigated for matchfixing before his career is done. He's a truly average keeper.
The shots he stops are 90% bread and butter for any Sunday league keeper. Yes his goal has been peppered, but his save rate deceives as every man and their dog now know to take a pop from anywhere at hollow hands, the keeper that jumps up to dive down.
Genuinely awful and blissfully unaware/unrepentant just like half the squad. Think they're better than Utd when they aren't fit to wear the badge.
Be careful, you'll be another bear that gets poked for telling the truth.
Some people in thiis thread can't handle the truth

Cantonalegod

Shots conceded inclue the high wide and handsome, what you have to look at is the shots on target, when you do that, he's one of the worst in the prem from on target to goals scored
We only conceed 5.03 shots on target per game in the Prem, even though we have conceeded the 3rd most shots this season.

Only arsenal and ourselves have a shots on target against rate of under 30%.

Onana's save ratio is 70.48%, which I would suggest is average(ish) at best?

If you add the Champion League form into the mix you would have to say at this stage it's not been a good season for him.

I can't see a change being made, (I would have liked to see Bayindir given a few games), so let's hope for better next season.

Fallon d'Floor

Onana was a a waste of a signing because ten Hag doesn't even use him correctly.

Binned De Gea because he can't play out from the back consistently, yet has Onana playing long balls and hoping we win the 2nd ball. Percentage football.

De Gea would be crucified for some of Onana's passing stats this season.

De Gea averaged 19.5 (68%) accurate passes per game last season compared to Onana's 24.9 (70%) this season. PL only.

De Gea averaged 4.9 (36%) accurate long balls per game last season compared to Onana's 5.5 (35%) this season. PL only.

Many thought a ball playing GK would help transform the team further, but it hasn't.

Vidooq

Onana was a a waste of a signing because ten Hag doesn't even use him correctly.

Binned De Gea because he can't play out from the back consistently, yet has Onana playing long balls and hoping we win the 2nd ball. Percentage football.

De Gea would be crucified for some of Onana's passing stats this season.

De Gea averaged 19.5 (68%) accurate passes per game last season compared to Onana's 24.9 (70%) this season. PL only.

De Gea averaged 4.9 (36%) accurate long balls per game last season compared to Onana's 5.5 (35%) this season. PL only.

Many thought a ball playing GK would help transform the team further, but it hasn't.
What about claimed crosses?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
You got the stats for that?

David De Gea

Individual

Preach!

It's frustrating I can't really comment on this debate because everyone just over looks what I say to make the same old 'oH YoU WoUlD SaY ThaT DaVe' joke.

The revisionism going on about de gea as a defence of Onana is unbelievable. One who spent 10 years here, who's saves and performances during some of our darkest days still gave us something to enjoy. Clearly I was a big fan of DDG yet even I knew it was time to move him on, criticism of Onana does not equal a belief we should have kept DDG. In fact I've seen very few suggest we should have.

What I think was reasonable to expect, particularly given the money and reputation, that Onana would be a clear improvement but he's not. It doesn't matter how many simple saves he makes (some which people seem keen to overblow just because he makes them look difficult) when he let's so many eminently saveable shots passed him.

I have said it from the start there are clear flaws in his technique that's leading to similar goals being conceded. Time and time again I see him make saves and the ball bounces off at this random angles, he doesn't seem to have the technique to control that at all. He's really poor at getting down low, a tendany to try pre-empt shots and be left looking flat footed and a clear preference to punch/slap over trying to catch a ball. There's only a couple of saves I can recall all season were I actually thought 'wow, good save' - I think you should expect more from a keeper at this level rather than always trying to make excuses why he couldn't save something.

I heard Andy Mitten say on one of the talk of the devils podcasts about how there were real concerns about him at the beginning (he was talking about this after his supposed big improvement).

The main thing is though his propensity for a gaff. Hes up there with the most error prone keepers I can remember at United and he hasn't been here a full season. A tendency to do it in the biggest moments too. I'm also not convinced by his character that some seem so enamoured with; the big time Charlie stuff he wants to do with the national team, the OTT bollocking he gave Maguire in one of his first games.

I just hope Ineos/the next manager are decisive enough to move him on quickly. I'd rather even give a young prospect the chance to improve than watch this knife juggling act through my fingers each week.

Oranges038

Well now that you mention it.

He's got the 3rd highest save % in the league, whilst having the 3rd most shots on target against.

And the 6th best Psxg.

AdNani

You’ve literally just made the last bit up to try and push your agenda.

3rd highest save % in the league. 3rd most shots on target Against in the league.

Matt Varnish

You’ve literally just made the last bit up to try and push your agenda.

3rd highest save % in the league. 3rd most shots on target Against in the league.
Saves count for F all, when you've pulled the ball out of the net 50 times, and got your team kicked out of the ECL.

Litch

Whether he is shit or not, one season especially this one isnt the indicator of whether hes up to it. Not sure why anyone would decide that hes not good enough after such a small sample size.

mu4c_20le

Whether he is shit or not, one season especially this one isnt the indicator of whether hes up to it. Not sure why anyone would decide that hes not good enough after such a small sample size.
Taibi binned for less

ArbeitervonWien

When have stats won a game of football?
This is not how it works, is it? Statistical data don't cure people. Still you'd hope for doctors to treat you based on evidence.

Well, actually many people (at least here in central Europe) don't care about evidence and prefer magical, made-up shit like Homöopathy or Anthroposophy to medicine, but you know what I mean.

mu4c_20le

Still doesnt make it right.....
Perhaps, but standards were different back then,fergie's ruthlessness is why we were winners. Pep and Klopp would probably do the same for those CL blunders, in which he wasn't facing 30 shots.

AdNani

Saves count for F all, when you've pulled the ball out of the net 50 times, and got your team kicked out of the ECL.
‘What you have to look at is shots on target, and when you do that, he’s one of the worst in the prem from shots on target to goals conceded’

your exact words, it’s Absoloute made up bullshit to suit your opinion on a player, one moment you say you have to look at shots on target, to get the real idea. It’s then pointed out he has the 3rd highest save percentage whilst facing the 3rd most shots on target, and now Saves count for feck all. Make your mind up. Or perhaps the problem is you already have and won’t change it no matter what.

Matt Varnish

‘What you have to look at is shots on target, and when you do that, he’s one of the worst in the prem from shots on target to goals conceded’

your exact words, it’s Absoloute made up bullshit to suit your opinion on a player, one moment you say you have to look at shots on target, to get the real idea. It’s then pointed out he has the 3rd highest save percentage whilst facing the 3rd most shots on target, and now Saves count for feck all. Make your mind up. Or perhaps the problem is you already have and won’t change it no matter what.
Read and comprehend, I said "ONE OF THE WORST"
Saves count for F all when you are 6th in the table with the lowest GD, and your keeper has picked the ball out of the net FIFTY times.
A better manager would have benched him well before Christmas, Bayinder must be absolute shite for this guy to walk into the team every week

Litch

Perhaps, but standards were different back then,fergie's ruthlessness is why we were winners. Pep and Klopp would probably do the same for those CL blunders, in which he wasn't facing 30 shots.
Pep and Klopp arent the barometer for me. Fergie was also very patient too when he needed to be. Standards arent about not making mistakes, its about how you recover when you make them. The CL blunders could have crushed him but he clearly is mentally strong.

Whether thats enough, Im saying one season facing more shots than most keepers in Europe isnt the barometer. Its funny cause conversely the keepers we rate the most face the least.

Last edited:

Litch

Read and comprehend, I said "ONE OF THE WORST"
Saves count for F all when you are 6th in the table with the lowest GD, and your keeper has picked the ball out of the net FIFTY times.
A better manager would have benched him well before Christmas, Bayinder must be absolute shite for this guy to walk into the team every week
So you spend 60m on a player that you convince to come from a CL final team, to bench him in his first 6 months football in a new country, culture, league, players, style of football...some fans havent a clue. Context counts and if you are going to bin off players so early into their careers at Utd, expect F all players to sign for the club. It's professional suicide....