View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Idxomer

Aeb actually did clear the ball. Onana proceeded to clear the head off the Burnley player’s body. Could easily see red for that - given more power in the punch. Basically clobbered him with two hands.
I meant the first clearance before Casemiro's header.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Aeb actually did clear the ball. Onana proceeded to clear the head off the Burnley player’s body. Could easily see red for that - given more power in the punch. Basically clobbered him with two hands.
He's so late too, and with the force I don't think a red card would have been crazy

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
I think the goal is 100% on him but the calamity and lack of trust in this team is creating a level of madness...
In my mind that's 90% of the problem, the defence don't trust him, and he doesn't trust the defence.
They all seem to panic whenever the ball reaches our box

Litch

In my mind that's 90% of the problem, the defence don't trust him, and he doesn't trust the defence.
They all seem to panic whenever the ball reaches our box
Onana probably looks at the ball going to 50p AWB head and shits himself....

Nick7

Onana probably looks at the ball going to 50p AWB head and shits himself....
He’s too experienced to be shitting himself again for the third or fourth time this season with the ball in the air.

Alan Pardew

Supports
Newcastle United
You would think someone coached him after the Wolves incident and made it clear to him he got away with it that time. And yet here we are. Pathetic all around.

Idxomer

Well, he didn’t kick anyone in the nuts, so fair play to him in that sequence.

Only Varane is actually great at clearing the ball from our box. Even Maguire, mr trampoline head, just scuffs it.
It's one of the biggest annoyances with United's defenders. If you'll boot the ball away without composure, at least get it as far as possible. I kind of understand Casemir's header trying to instill calm in the team, but his execution was awful and caused more panic.

Nick7

Nah, that header was for him to collect so he went for it anyway. I agree that he should have anticipated AWB to get to it and deal with it, but it's the header that causes the problem.
He was 2 seconds late to the ball. The header was the problem and it was mostly Casemiro’s fault. But Onana’s anticipation was incredibly poor yet again.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Header caused some panic but he's slapped the wrong guy.
Don't think it was ever not being given after the Wolves thing, but plenty of times you'll see it go unpunished.

RuudTom83

Made for United for all the right and wrong reasons.

Goes from the sublime to the ridiculous at any given minute.

El Zoido

I feel for Onana, this team and setup is going to be difficult for any gk. He’s being asked to do an awful lot within an absolutely chaotic defence. When he’s got the ball at his feet the crowd are going apeshit at him to distribute it, but literally every player is standing there like a statue. Then when he gets frustrated and punts it long, they’re on his back for that too. There was one point where he caught the ball and the crowd got up for him to throw it long, but every single player was on their heels. Pretty sure we’re not coached for this. Overall he had a pretty good game today.

Sylar

It's a feck up from him. Not only him of course but given its his thread, it's what it is.

It's even more annoying that awb headed it out, and it went to our player.

David De Gea

Didn't get to see the game today but another week another Onono cock-up.

I see a lot of superlatives being thrown about for his other saves. I eagerly await match of the day to see this myself or will it be another case of a couple of simple saves he makes look difficult?

Chinchy98

I feel for Onana, this team and setup is going to be difficult for any gk. He’s being asked to do an awful lot within an absolutely chaotic defence. When he’s got the ball at his feet the crowd are going apeshit at him to distribute it, but literally every player is standing there like a statue. Then when he gets frustrated and punts it long, they’re on his back for that too. There was one point where he caught the ball and the crowd got up for him to throw it long, but every single player was on their heels. Pretty sure we’re not coached for this. Overall he had a pretty good game today.
Is he being asked to do an awful lot though? He’s hardly pulling Darren Randolph Old Trafford masterclasses week in week out.

The volume of shots are high, but he rarely is having games where he is making outrageous saves

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I see a lot of superlatives being thrown about for his other saves. I eagerly await match of the day to see this myself or will it be another case of a couple of simple saves he makes look difficult?
How much of your day do spend thinking about Onana?

El Zoido

Is he being asked to do an awful lot though? He’s hardly pulling Darren Randolph Old Trafford masterclasses week in week out.

The volume of shots are high, but he rarely is having games where he is making outrageous saves
It’s not just shots on goal, but we spend an awful lot of time in our final third in a complete mess. He’s involved way too much. Back in the VDS/Rio/Vidic days you’d sometimes forget the goalkeeper was even on the pitch.

RedRocket9908

Having watched the penalty decision back again I cant actually understand how its been given as a penalty, I mean AWB headed the ball clear before Onana made any contact with the attacker so how can you possibly give a penalty for it ?

always_hoping

Thought he was magnificent today despite the penalty. That header from Casemiro was just crazy.
Made top saves today, What Casemiro was at is the main question, then again he wouldn't have been there had United a fit centre back to play along Magurie

PSV

Having watched the penalty decision back again I cant actually understand how its been given as a penalty, I mean AWB headed the ball clear before Onana made any contact with the attacker so how can you possibly give a penalty for it ?
I know right. I feel the same way about all these yellow and red cards flying about, why penalize a player if he tackles after the ball is gone. It's ridiculous.

Remember the geese

Hi David. Still in the freebie bin?

RedRocket9908

I know right. I feel the same way about all these yellow and red cards flying about, why penalize a player if he tackles after the ball is gone. It's ridiculous.
Waiting for a stopoage in play then going back and giving him a card for the collision would have been fine but awarding a free shot at goal for an off the ball collision after the ball had already been cleared is rudulous.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
You're being sarcastic, please say you're being sarcastic

David De Gea

How much of your day do spend thinking about Onana?
When I read a report about another balls up from our comedy keeper, yeah I can't help but think about him.

I was a goalkeeper, never professional but played at a decent standard in amateur league. I've always been more interested in goalkeepers making great saves than any other position scoring goals or dribbling or whatever. Yeah that might make me a bit weird but that's goalkeepers for you.

I wouldnt call myself an expert but I've still spent hundreds if not thousands of hours training as a goalkeeper, often having sessions with ex-pros or pro GK coaches. I won't say I know more than people who seem to think onana is great but I've seen enough for me that there are far too many flaws in his game.

The fact he is a constant risk of a total brain fart on top off all the shortcomings in his ability means he needs to be moved on ASAP for me. I'd rather give youth a chance to develop than watch this knife juggling act every week.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Brilliant performance.

Don't really blame him for the pen, shocking defending from the players in front of him. The next time after Wolves he made any contact like that a penalty was always going to be given.
That's all on Casemiro, god knows what he was thinking, if AWB hadn't gotten his header then Onana would have probably been ok because the ball would have hit him

erikcred

Punching someone in the face after the ball has gone, is a foul. It happened in the box. So, it's a penalty. The ref can't just make up rules at this point and give a card but not a penalty.

poleglass red

He punched the ball in the first half and not very well when it was easier to catch the ball. He made some good saves but he always has an error in him.

David De Gea

That's all on Casemiro, god knows what he was thinking, if AWB hadn't gotten his header then Onana would have probably been ok because the ball would have hit him
The gymnastics to absolve Onana of any blame every time he makes another horlicks is something else. Surely if you go back far enough before casemiro's header you could find someone who should have done better to absolve Casemiro? You know if you were really, really desperate.

Prodigy24

He's been making some very good saves lately but I can't help but think how many points he's cost us this season with all the mistakes and stupid decisions like today.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
Punching someone in the face after the ball has gone, is a foul. It happened in the box. So, it's a penalty. The ref can't just make up rules at this point and give a card but not a penalty.
As he was so late he can consider himself lucky he didn't get a card of any colour.

RedRocket9908

The ball had already been headed away so its an off the ball collision and freekicks and/or penalties arnt awarded for off the ball collisions.