g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Andre Onana image 24

Andre Onana Cameroon flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

sixdwarf

"And before anyone goes after DDG because of my user name I agreed it was time for him to move on."

And your reading and comprehension ability does not
There is no question that we would have been far better keeping DDG and using the Onana money elsewhere. Not a hindsight thing. I've always said that.

Redlyn

Onana would have conceded both low shots in this match. Such a relief not having him in goal.

Edit: and I had to go and jinx it. Just conceded.

sixdwarf

Agreed he is not to blame for every goal we concede, there have been some that would have beaten a prime Schmiechel, VDS & DDG.
However, there have been quite a few howlers, and mistakes in positioning, not coming for the ball, failing to narrow the angle, continually beaten on his near post, that it can be said he is 90% culpable for, everyone makes mistakes, but they learn from them, this guy doesn't, I firmly believe that in his head he thinks he the best thing sliced bread, signing for United has somehow convinced him he is world class, and he is far from it.
He is glued to his line
He dives late
He cannot read the game
He cannot jump
He's slow
He does not command his area.
He has made more howlers than Taibi the worst keeper I've ever seen play for United. Who lasted just four games at Old Trafford as a result of ONE howlers.

Kostov

It was a joke.

I personally don't see.the point of getting rid of him yet. He's been playing Infront of Evans and whoever can stay for for long enough all season, we should sort that out first. He will still have his positives over the season. He has proven prior to be good keeper, with great distribution.
:houllier:

Mentioning Evans is some kind of defence for Onana?

Onana is not fit to lace his boots, even at 40 years young.

IWat

I don't really see a way back for him here now. Afcon on paper was his chance to go and get some confidence back but he has had a horror show yet again and seemingly their manager is competent enough to drop him.

Pickle85

I think you might be a bit biased, Dave :D

Seriously though, he's made some great saves and shown excellent resilience to come back from his early mistakes. We'll see if he's good enough over the next few months, hopefully with a settled defence in front of him.

I think he'll be fine.
There's nothing so far to suggest he'll be fine. He's been a disaster thus far and it's looking more and more like his head's gone.

Oranges038

Oh please bang a different drum
Nah, I get a good laugh out of this thread. I find it funny that people were willing to defend and wanted to keep the highest paid keeper in the world after 5 years of hilarious cock ups and blunders, some of which were way worse than anything Taibi ever did. I think they should hold the same standards and at least afford Onana the same courtesy, instead of writing him off after half a season.

RedRocket9908

There's nothing so far to suggest he'll be fine. He's been a disaster thus far and it's looking more and more like his head's gone.
Despite having no defence in front of him he has the 2nd higest nunber of clean sheets in the league, has made more saves than nearly every other keeper, and in half a season has bettered a lot of De Gea's records from the whole of last season so I think its wrong to claim there is nothing to suggest he'll be fine.

Flying high

Nothing? Really? Disaster is far too strong.

I get that he had a bad start and that was enough for some. I prefer to look at the bigger picture and, like I said, he's shown great resilience and really turned around his performances. But I guess we'll see where he goes from here.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Nah, I get a good laugh out of this thread. I find it funny that people were willing to defend and wanted to keep the highest paid keeper in the world after 5 years of hilarious cock ups and blunders, some of which were way worse than anything Taibi ever did. I think they should hold the same standards and at least afford Onana the same courtesy, instead of writing him off after half a season.
To have faith in gk who showed that he lacks basic skill in saving shots?
I can ignore mistakes. Bad form, confidence, bad luck....it happens. But he just doesn't have quality and ability in his primary job; saving shots. To see that you don't need one or two years. Even few games are enough to see it.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Embarrassing being dropped for your country when you play for a top English side compared to where that other keepers from. ETH must be shown up aswell

mu4c_20le

Can't see the next manager keeping him. Hopefully he finishes the season strong and attract some saudi interest.

criticalanalysis

I think his actual goalkeeping technique and fundamentals are massively inconsistent, bordering on poor but I personally think he's like Ederson (minus the sweeping). In a ball playing team, he'd contribute to so much more. Unfortunately, I don't think we're likely to see that in the next 4 months.

mu4c_20le

I think his actual goalkeeping technique and fundamentals are massively inconsistent, bordering on poor but I personally think he's like Ederson (minus the sweeping). In a ball playing team, he'd contribute to so much more. Unfortunately, I don't think we're likely to see that in the next 4 months.
If he ever gets his balls back and actually sweeps, then maybe. Right now he's Claudio Bravo, and recently showing shades of ddg as well when he's rooted to his line.

Stadjer

He doesnt lack basic skill in saving shots though, his stats so far show that.
And neither do his previous years as a goalkeeper suggest he lacks skill.

It doesnt matter though, people have made up their mind because he has made some big mistakes that cost us Europe. For some people the hardest thing to do is to admit they are wrong and change their opinion. Even if Onana started to play like Alisson they would still say ''told you so he is shit'' the moment Onana makes a mistake (something even Alisson does). Every goal Onana will concede is micro analysed in a way that there is something to blame Onana for. All just to not have to admit they were wrong.

IWat

Nothing? Really? Disaster is far too strong.

I get that he had a bad start and that was enough for some. I prefer to look at the bigger picture and, like I said, he's shown great resilience and really turned around his performances. But I guess we'll see where he goes from here.
If achieving a howler reel larger than Barthez's after half a season is not a disaster then I'm not really sure what would qualify as one.

There is no resilience, he went 6-7 weeks maybe without a clear cut howler. That's not a cause for celebration.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He doesnt lack basic skill in saving shots though, his stats so far show that.
I don’t like using our legends’ words as a gospel but in this case I feel like it’s appropriate. I mean if Schmeichel thinks that he has a specific issue with his goalkeeping technique… there’s certainly some basic things that he does wrong. I would’ve said “differently” if it didn’t cost us as often as it does.

“Schmeichel” said:
My theory here is he’s just lifting up, he’s not setting off, his arm is coming up to go down, whereas, as a goalkeeper you learn to dive along the ground for the ball, you don’t go up to come down.

We saw the same mistake against Bayern Munich and I notice the same thing, he just kind of lifts himself instead of actually diving and moving towards the ball.

Asked why Onana is using that technique, Schmeichel replied: ‘Don’t ask me because I’m not Onana, I don’t know. It’s a technical [issue].

Hester_manc

It might make sense to drop Onana. There were stories that he considered whether he would go to the championship in Africa at all, and he chooses to arrive as late as possible. Perhaps it can be interpreted as a lack of motivation to play for the national team.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Embarrassing being dropped for your country when you play for a top English side compared to where that other keepers from. ETH must be shown up aswell
What’s this got to do with ETH? fecking hell

Devil81

Watch him walk out of camp and retire again.

Wouldn't surprise me if he took the field against Newport.

lex talionis

It appears that Onana has been dropped to the bench by his national team in favor of the starting keeper for a 15th place side in the French league. Nice exactly impressive.

Being utterly humiliated again, it really would be best of ten Hag gave him some time off even if for only 3 or 4 games to allow Onana to get his head back together and start performing like the keeper most of thought he would be when he arrived at Old Trafford. There really is a decent keeper in Onana, nothing special but undeniably decent, and if he's given a chance to reset his mentally I have no doubt he will start putting in decent peformances for United.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm really trying to reserve judgement on him as everything he's been involved in since he left Inter has been a calamity really, some his fault, plenty not his fault. Things need to calm down. He's been shit of course, confidence rock bottom, but I do still think he's mostly fine enough to not actually be an issue for the next 3-5 years for us. He won't restrict us from playing a certain style, and you'd hope he cuts out the mind bogglingly bad mistakes that he made from time to time this season (they're mistakes any pro should not be making). Cut those out and he's a good goalkeeper. But such is the state of the club that those flukes have been happening a bit too often. But I'm fine with just assuming he's the guy for next season and revisit in summer 2025.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
What’s this got to do with ETH? fecking hell
Well it’s his signing… he chose to play him against spurs which meant he was late to the AFCON and now he’s not even getting picked for his nationality .

RedRocket9908

Onana would have conceded both low shots in this match. Such a relief not having him in goal.

Edit: and I had to go and jinx it. Just conceded.
Is this really where we are at now, seeing shots on the TV and claiming Onana wouldnt have saved them?

This ridiculous agenda against Onana is getting embarrasing, if you are upset about Liability Dave leaving thats fine but please dont take it out on Andre Onana.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Word of the day: Hypocrite.

Definition: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

Example:
Is this really where we are at now, seeing shots on the TV and claiming Onana wouldnt have saved them?

This ridiculous agenda against Onana is getting embarrasing[/QUOTE ]
if you are upset about Liability Dave leaving thats fine but dont take it out on Onana.

tomaldinho1

Agreed he is not to blame for every goal we concede, there have been some that would have beaten a prime Schmiechel, VDS & DDG.
However, there have been quite a few howlers, and mistakes in positioning, not coming for the ball, failing to narrow the angle, continually beaten on his near post, that it can be said he is 90% culpable for, everyone makes mistakes, but they learn from them, this guy doesn't, I firmly believe that in his head he thinks he the best thing sliced bread, signing for United has somehow convinced him he is world class, and he is far from it.
He is glued to his line
He dives late
He cannot read the game
He cannot jump
He's slow
He does not command his area.
This kind of sums up the issues. We all know this isn't true 'he cannot jump' :lol: but you've written it in a serious way talking about a professional GK.

I think we can say he's made some high profile errors in the CL and looks to have a bit of an unorthodox technique (I remember people saying DDG going with his feet was all wrong back in the day but he turned out to be fine for most of his time here). I do think some people have been mislead though, there have been posts on here saying they thought he was going to be coming for crosses and dominating the box, not sure he's ever done that but the bar was just super low with DDG. I am happy with his profile, I said it early on, it just depends on the risk reward factors and we can't really judge that until a season is done and we can look back and provide context.

The real shame is how petty some of the posting has become (see above), it's reminiscent of when Poch got linked to the United job and then posters would follow his PSG career and post whenever they lost.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

This ridiculous agenda against Onana is getting embarrasing, if you are upset about Liability Dave leaving thats fine but please dont take it out on Andre Onana.
Well, nothing there to claim or not. It is not rocket science; if it is going on target, it is a goal.:wenger:

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
Your opinion is no more valid than mine :lol::lol:

Have you forgotten the guy is supposed to be worth £50m :lol:
He's an international :lol:

He's supposed to be top goalkeeper, not someone learning the trade like the DDG you are talking about :lol::lol:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
:houllier:

Mentioning Evans is some kind of defence for Onana?

Onana is not fit to lace his boots, even at 40 years young.
No, it's more saying we've got bigger problems Infront of Onana. It's not absolving him of his own issues, but I'd like to see him with a stable defence Infront of him too. That's the more pressing need than trying to sell Onana and then replacing him.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It appears that Onana has been dropped to the bench by his national team in favor of the starting keeper for a 15th place side in the French league. Nice exactly impressive.

Being utterly humiliated again, it really would be best of ten Hag gave him some time off even if for only 3 or 4 games to allow Onana to get his head back together and start performing like the keeper most of thought he would be when he arrived at Old Trafford. There really is a decent keeper in Onana, nothing special but undeniably decent, and if he's given a chance to reset his mentally I have no doubt he will start putting in decent peformances for United.
It's been pointed out in both Onana threads and was well known when he joined that he doesn't get on with the national team coach.
Calm yourself.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Having to play in goal for Man Utd every week with no defence in front of and then being blamed for almost every goal we conceed will have ruined his confidence.
Give over ffs. He’s a crap keeper for the top level. Pretty simple stuff

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
People saying stupid shit like "sell every ETH signing" etc really deserve a punch.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
And neither do his previous years as a goalkeeper suggest he lacks skill.

It doesnt matter though, people have made up their mind because he has made some big mistakes that cost us Europe. For some people the hardest thing to do is to admit they are wrong and change their opinion. Even if Onana started to play like Alisson they would still say ''told you so he is shit'' the moment Onana makes a mistake (something even Alisson does). Every goal Onana will concede is micro analysed in a way that there is something to blame Onana for. All just to not have to admit they were wrong.
Have you watched him try to dive

tomaldinho1

Your opinion is no more valid than mine :lol::lol:

Have you forgotten the guy is supposed to be worth £50m :lol:
He's an international :lol:

He's supposed to be top goalkeeper, not someone learning the trade like the DDG you are talking about :lol::lol:
Forget to tag someone?

Aretak

So has he he ended up with the 2nd most clean sheets in the league then? Did he not face a single shot in any of those games?
Must be the same unexplained paranormal phenomenon that caused "Liability Dave" to win the Premier League Golden Glove last season. Better get Mulder and Scully on the case.