g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Andre Onana image 24

Andre Onana Cameroon flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Glad to see the ball not getting hoofed every time it goes back to the goal keeper.

Pronewbie

Peep
Was great, is going to change our build-up a lot.

Was he lacking a bit of anticipation on the 2nd goal though? The mistake is from Williams and ofcourse it was brilliance by Joselu, but he seemed off-guard/ too slow to even react.
Not in my books. 5 yards out, bicycle kick into the bottom corner-ish. He could probably react and dive but he'd be pretending. It's one of those some keepers do for the optics.

PSV

Both goals would feature on those De Gea videos, just saying. Lobbed for first one and didn't claim second.

Not in my books. 5 yards out, bicycle kick into the bottom corner-ish. He could probably react and dive but he'd be pretending. It's one of those some keepers do for the optics.
Nah, I remember De Gea got discredited for a great save from a finish 5 yards out because he was supposed to have claimed it. Need to hold Onana to that same standard.

Red Royal

It will take me probably half a season to stop panicking when he is on the ball with oppoonents closing him down after 10 years of hoofball; but it is so effective when we play out.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Both goals would feature on those De Gea videos, just saying. Lobbed for first one and didn't claim second.

Nah, I remember De Gea got discredited for a great save from a finish 5 yards out because he was supposed to have claimed it. Need to hold Onana to that same standard.
:lol:
Ah this will be a fun season with this bullshit coming in. As if de Gea, who made the most direct mistakes in the league leading to goals last season (with his shot stopping), was infallible and every single goal being over analyzed as if "de Gea saved that type of shot one time 10 years ago".

Pronewbie

Peep

In my other similar post in the match day thread I said I defended De Gea in such situations too.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Go watch De Gea with his new club then pal if this is the attitude you want to bring. Oh wait he doesn’t have one

Anustart89

I really really really really like him. Confident, seems to direct his defenders and bollock them when they don't give him the ball, instant effect on our ability to beat the press.

Trex

I don't know how anyone can support ETH project and fancy moaning about De Gea. De gea was a great servant of the club but clearly he doesn't fit in with the new project. You're either anti-Ten Hag ball or you just don't understand the demands of the modern game.

PSV

Go watch De Gea with his new club then pal if this is the attitude you want to bring. Oh wait he doesn’t have one
I don't see why. I have no interest in De Gea as he has left the club. Now the new guy is under scrutiny.

I don't know how anyone can support ETH project and fancy moaning about De Gea. De gea was a great servant of the club but clearly he doesn't fit in with the new project. You're either anti-Ten Hag ball or you just don't understand the demands of the modern game.
I don't really get your point. My post doesn't at any point criticize or even mention Ten Hag or his balls.

Trex

I don't see why. I have no interest in De Gea as he has left the club. Now the new guy is under scrutiny.

I don't really get your point. My post doesn't at any point criticize or even mention Ten Hag or his balls.
Trying to antagonize a new signing in his very first preseason appearance, comparing him with De gea.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's going to be annoying reading the posts from the De Gea brigade on Onana's performances this season.

They're still stuck in la-la land regarding De Gea's current abilities.

Dannn411

All it took me was 15 minutes to see that he's miles better than De Gea.

Dannn411

De Gea would have had zero chance against either goal.

RedOrange

De Gea would have had zero chance against either goal.
He might have stopped the first because he would have started in the 6 yard box. We'd have lost out on all the sweeping actions and struggled with Real's press, though, so our possession would have been a lot less than the 53% or whatever it was.

Real Name

Here we go.

Seven Seas Sardines

The pace and urgency in which he sprints, releases and passes to keep our momentum going cannot be understated either. De Gea didn't even have urgency to kick the ball into play while we were losing in the dying minutes of games.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Any video showing his performance in the game yesterday? I missed it

Real Name

Keeper out of his box or better yet near the middle of the pitch when we're starting attacks. What travesty is this!?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I wonder if de Gea will watch some matches and see what a different approach Onana has.

A lot of footballers don't really watch that much football I imagine.

ShinjiNinja26

Bore off.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

So it begins!

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

:lol:

CloneMC16

He is going to be fun to watch. Clear upgrade in our possession game in the first phase. You could see the difference quite clearly.

NoPace

Passing was really good, composure on the ball even better.

CG1010

We don't need to hold Onana on same shot stopping standards as De Gea because he isn't as bad as him on other facets of GKing.

Edit: Also Onana made a fantastic save, which De Gea fanboys would be featuring on De Gea compilations.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We saw all the positives on display. The first goal was a bit dodgy, not sure coming all the way out was the best decision on his part. Not much he could do with the 2nd, poor defending.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I made a point in another thread but will repeat here. I believe Martinez will take the "playmaker" role in the team this season. This is why Onana is key - his job will be to bypass the first pressing wave so that Licha gets the ball in space and can progress it forward. The way Onana positions himself in front of the box also pushes the back line higher, what means Martinez can effectively take central position like deep lying playmaker does. This is a mitigation strategy as we are not getting De Jong type of a player in midfield (also, Mount doesn't seem involved in the build up at all so far, early days but not unexpected I guess).

He's fun to watch that's for sure. I know he was supposed to be good on the ball but the way he passes and sprints to make himself available to receive a pass again is very refreshing to see.

Trex

I wonder if de Gea will watch some matches and see what a different approach Onana has.

A lot of footballers don't really watch that much football I imagine.
He does play it though against elite opposition, surely he sees Ederson and Allison.

YikesSchmeics

The sad thing is that, because De Gea would on occasion, even to the end, pull out impossible saves, the "De Gea would have saved that" standard will be applied to every single goal scored against Onana this season.

What these melts won't acknowledge as they clog this thread up this season, will be that De Gea would also be liable to duff an easy one and would costs us at least 10/15% possession per game.