View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Nickelodeon

I think he was one of our best players in the Arsenal game. Not sure how he's being blamed for the second goal. It was a fiercely struck shot 8 yards away from the goal which took a deflection 3 yards in. It would've been a truly insane save of the season contender had it happened. Naturally, De Gea at his prime would've saved that. But that's like saying that Ronaldo in his prime used to score 40 yarders, why isn't Rashford doing that every game?!

For once, we went into a big away game with a clear tactical plan and Onana holding on to the ball and inviting pressure was a major part of it. And I'm all for it. We were literally a couple of inches away from a narrow win and that's all we could've targeted. I like what I'm seeing from Onana and hopefully, the next big game we get the result.

Kostov

I think he was one of our best players in the Arsenal game. Not sure how he's being blamed for the second goal. It was a fiercely struck shot 8 yards away from the goal which took a deflection 3 yards in. It would've been a truly insane save of the season contender had it happened. Naturally, De Gea at his prime would've saved that. But that's like saying that Ronaldo in his prime used to score 40 yarders, why isn't Rashford doing that every game?!

For once, we went into a big away game with a clear tactical plan and Onana holding on to the ball and inviting pressure was a major part of it. And I'm all for it. We were literally a couple of inches away from a narrow win and that's all we could've targeted. I like what I'm seeing from Onana and hopefully, the next big game we get the result.
No it really wouldn't. It was his close post and he did not cover it. Only redeeming fact is what in the name of feck was Dalot doing. But that also can be addressed as bad organizing, something that was often thrown at our previous goalie as a factor of not being good enough.

Last edited:

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
No it really wouldn't. It was his close post and he did not cover it. Only redeeming fact is what in the name of feck was Dalot doing. But that also can be addressed as bad organizing, something that was often thrown at out previous goalie as a factor of not being good enough.

He was supposed to be an upgrade from De Gea, I don't see it.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
In four games, he's conceded 8, and picked up two yellows, at that rate he's going to be out for half the season on suspensions alone.
I know this will come back to bite me, but at the moment he is looking more like a downgrade on Taibi

Josh 76

In four games, he's conceded 8, and picked up two yellows, at that rate he's going to be out for half the season on suspensions alone.
I know this will come back to bite me, but at the moment he is looking more like a downgrade on Taibi
Feck sake
It even took Peter Schmeical a season to settle in.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
Feck sake
It even took Peter Schmeical a season to settle in.
Schmiechel First Full Season

Played 40
Yellows 0
Reds 0
Conceded 32
Clean Sheets 17

First 4 games, conceded 2 yellows 0

Hard act to follow I know.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
It's crazy to me that people on here can't see how much he's changed the way our opponents play against us. Arsenal were hardly pressing us and one of the few times they tried pressing high up the pitch we ended up scoring. Whatever about his shot stopping, teams are really reluctant to press us in our defensive third. Last year teams like Brentford mauled us in that phase of the game because they could go man for man.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Can't say I disagree more.
He's transformed our play at the back when its evident teams back off from pressing him, or when they do press him, he finds a simple yet effective pass to relieve pressure.
He claims the crosses he can claim. There was one cross against Arsenal where DDG would've stood on his line, relying on the CBs to clear the ball. Problem is, that usually resulted in the other team getting the ball back and applying the pressure again. Instead, he claimed the cross, waited, and slowed the play down so that our guys could have a breather.
He's a good shot stopper, not world class of course, but not Taibi man come on ffs.

I can paint stats to make out any player look good/bad, what does your eye test tell you? He's Taibi?

Slevs

likes to play with penises
It's crazy to me that people on here can't see how much he's changed the way our opponents play against us. Arsenal were hardly pressing us and one of the few times they tried pressing high up the pitch we ended up scoring. Whatever about his shot stopping, teams are really reluctant to press us in our defensive third. Last year teams like Brentford mauled us in that phase of the game because they could go man for man.
Exactly! Thank you! Someone is seeing what I'm seeing.

ShinjiNinja26

He was supposed to be an upgrade from De Gea, I don't see it.
Bollocks! Two shite takes in the space of two minutes. Impressive.

mav_9me

Amrabat is definitely this type and so is Mainoo.

I don't think Mount will be playing with Bruno as 2 8s high up the pitch a lot this season, and I honestly believe if he had not got injured Mainoo would have started the season in the 11
The Arsenal game in pre season gives a taste of what we'll be going for in my opinion.

Mount to me was brought in to give competition to Bruno and also allow for him to be injured/rested and can when ETH wants to provide tactical flexibility. We had zero cover for Bruno last season
The problem with that idea is you don't spend 55m£ to improve the squad without first improving the starting XI

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The problem with that idea is you don't spend 55m£ to improve the squad without first improving the starting XI
You do when you have no viable alternative

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
About the only positive of the season so far. He’s cooking.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
He's been a massive upgrade so far, he's transformed us. Anyone downplaying that should really take a step back and analyse how we played out from the back last year vs this year.

Jund

Given how our first games played out it's a bit early to tell whether he's actually an upgrade or a step sideways.

LordSpud

Given how our first games played out it's a bit early to tell whether he's actually an upgrade or a step sideways.
Mount was the step sideways. Or even backwards. Onana is the step forward

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
7 goals in 4 matches would be a great stat if he was a striker.
How many of them were really preventable by a goalkeeper? I don’t think any of them were, honestly, barring some extra ordinary one off miracle saves. Maybe the second Arsenal goal but even that was very tricky.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Really didn't expect people to be being critical of him when I entered this thread. It's clear and obvious how much better he's making us play - if anything the outfield players are the ones that need to get on his (and Erik's) level.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How many of them were really preventable by a goalkeeper? I don’t think any of them were, honestly, barring some extra ordinary one off miracle saves. Maybe the second Arsenal goal but even that was very tricky.
I will not use prime Dave as an example (because discussion then goes in different way) but i will use Alisson. Look at his saves just in these 4 games. He is the reason why Liverpool has at least 3 points more than they should. In every game he had some crucial saves for which people would say "he couldn't do anything" if there was a goal. People hugely underestimate goalkeeper's positioning and anticipation. Some shots look "unsaveable" because gk was not near the ball but some goalkeepers (and that is why they are world class) have great saves because they do right thing early. Dive early or rush out quickly in one on one situations.

Onana's greatest strength is ball playing and he will upgrade our general game regarding that but so far he does look as average shot stopper.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I will not use prime Dave as an example (because discussion then goes in different way) but i will use Alisson. Look at his saves just in these 4 games. He is the reason why Liverpool has at least 3 points more than they should. In every game he had some crucial saves for which people would say "he couldn't do anything" if there was a goal. People hugely underestimate goalkeeper's positioning and anticipation. Some shots look "unsaveable" because gk was not near the ball but some goalkeepers (and that is why they are world class) have great saves because they do right thing early. Dive early or rush out quickly in one on one situations.

Onana's greatest strength is ball playing and he will upgrade our general game regarding that but so far he does look as average shot stopper.
I don’t think he is a great shot stopper either and he won’t be pulling many miracle saves for us. He’s a solid goalkeeper though, with brilliant distribution, and it’s good enough.

FerociousCorgis

like obviously it wouldnt be smart, and he was nowhere near ready enough, but man would it be awesome if it was like a video game and could just see how we would look just throwing kovar in there and using the onana money to bring in Kim or something for defense right about now. Then obviously hit reload on previous save and go back to this haha

Jerom

I think DdG is the better shot stopper on the line, but playing ball is Onana's quality, and that's what is needed in Ten Hag's style of play.

Glorio

Schmiechel First Full Season

Played 40
Yellows 0
Reds 0
Conceded 32
Clean Sheets 17

First 4 games, conceded 2 yellows 0

Hard act to follow I know.
Yes, because Schmeichel played Arsenal and Spurs away every other game. Context is required here.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He's been a massive upgrade so far, he's transformed us. Anyone downplaying that should really take a step back and analyse how we played out from the back last year vs this year.
This, really enjoyed him against Arsenal. Teams have to stop pressing because he's ridiculous.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
Teams don't usually press the GK anymore unless they are chasing the game because the trap is obvious. Arsenal were pretty happy with the sideways passing in the box and only pressed the players while maintaining their shape. It's not like you guys were breaking the press and getting up the pitch frequently (work in progress though).
I know it looks cool for a team that is not used to it but feck me it was as boring as when City do it, at least City have the press resistant players to make it look a bit interesting.

lex talionis

Really didn't expect people to be being critical of him when I entered this thread. It's clear and obvious how much better he's making us play - if anything the outfield players are the ones that need to get on his (and Erik's) level.
I'm intrigued by this argument. Do you really believe that Onana has already caused the "transformation" in our attacking play that was promised in the weeks before we signed him? I ask because our attacking play has actually been shockingly poor so far this season, which I don't blame on Onana but part of the sales pitch for Onana was that our attacking play would dramatically improve once we brought him in.

croadyman

De Gea saves the Rice shot but let’s be honest we would’ve had more pressure and less possession if DDG was there and probably concede in another way.

Onana does a lot of things well but his average shot stopping makes you question his value in additional points gained to the team.

He’s a lot like Ederson to me with the difference being his team doesn’t really dominate possession. Even when he was as Inter he had a lot of protection from the 3 CBS and DMs. If we’re a team that are going to face a lot of shots like we’ve done to start the season he’s the wrong keeper and we should’ve kept DDG instead.

EtH needs to sort out the defence and midfield to make us more difficult to get through.
So who should be GK then?

Red-17

Teams don't usually press the GK anymore unless they are chasing the game because the trap is obvious. Arsenal were pretty happy with the sideways passing in the box and only pressed the players while maintaining their shape. It's not like you guys were breaking the press and getting up the pitch frequently (work in progress though).
I know it looks cool for a team that is not used to it but feck me it was as boring as when City do it, at least City have the press resistant players to make it look a bit interesting.
Teams absolutely did press De Gea though and it was almost always an instant giveaway due to his inability to play out under pressure.

Red-17

I'm intrigued by this argument. Do you really believe that Onana has already caused the "transformation" in our attacking play that was promised in the weeks before we signed him? I ask because our attacking play has actually been shockingly poor so far this season, which I don't blame on Onana but part of the sales pitch for Onana was that our attacking play would dramatically improve once we brought him in.
I think it is disingenuous to say people expected him to directly improve our attack. The main argument, which I think is justifiable still, is that he would help us to control games more and allow us to build from the back leading to a more organized attack. Naturally if you have 5 or 10 more structured build outs in a game, that can result in more chances created and indirectly resulting in more goals/a better attack. It has only been 4 games so far, but we are undeniably better playing out from the back so far, even if our second stage of build up is still lacking. Part of that is playing Rashford as a striker where his hold up play is non-existant and part of it is our midfield not being up to the task so far. To say there hasn't been a noticeable improvement in our ability to retain and progress the ball from our goalkeeper though is inconceivable to me.

Reactions: Theonas

lex talionis

I think it is disingenuous to say people expected him to directly improve our attack. The main argument, which I think is justifiable still, is that he would help us to control games more and allow us to build from the back leading to a more organized attack. Naturally if you have 5 or 10 more structured build outs in a game, that can result in more chances created and indirectly resulting in more goals/a better attack. It has only been 4 games so far, but we are undeniably better playing out from the back so far, even if our second stage of build up is still lacking. Part of that is playing Rashford as a striker where his hold up play is non-existant and part of it is our midfield not being up to the task so far. To say there hasn't been a noticeable improvement in our ability to retain and progress the ball from our goalkeeper though is inconceivable to me.
I don’t recall seeing your username before so I have no quarrel with you, but there was post after post after post — and dozens more — how our weakness in attack last season was directly related to De Gea’s infirmities and how Onana would “transform” our attack.

Progressing the ball out of the back effectively has absolutely no bearing on our finishing on goal. Let me be clear on this point. We did a reasonably good job last season creating chances, with Bruno actually leaving the PL in chance creation. But we were woeful on chance finishing. I don’t have the stats now (posted all this earlier this summer) but the numbers left no doubt that what our eyes saw was actually backed up by the data: we controlled possession reasonably well, created our fair share of chances, but that our finishing was abysmal. Astonishingly abysmal.

Onana was somehow supposed to cause the — and I’m laughing as I type these words — “transformation” of our attack.

No goalkeeper who will ever live can have any impact on the ability of forwards to finishing on great chances.

Onana can’t be blamed in any way for our woeful performance in attack this season. Rashford got his first goal in four matches. We know about the ridiculousness of Martial and ineffectiveness of Antony and Sancho. Garnacho is still a teenager so no complaints there. After four matches our forwards have scored only one goal. That’s not on Onana in any way, but it was always dreamy insanity to view a new modern keeper as having a transformational impact on our attacking performance.

Yes, we’re better off without a keeper who shat his pants at the sight of an oncoming attacker, but we would be well advised to moderate our expectations as to how much a goalkeeper can improve our performance on the opponent’s own third of the pitch.