View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Oranges038

I don’t recall seeing your username before so I have no quarrel with you, but there was post after post after post — and dozens more — how our weakness in attack last season was directly related to De Gea’s infirmities and how Onana would “transform” our attack.

Progressing the ball out of the back effectively has absolutely no bearing on our finishing on goal.
Let me be clear on this point. We did a reasonably good job last season creating chances, with Bruno actually leaving the PL in chance creation. But we were woeful on chance finishing. I don’t have the stats now (posted all this earlier this summer) but the numbers left no doubt that what our eyes saw was actually backed up by the data: we controlled possession reasonably well, created our fair share of chances, but that our finishing was abysmal. Astonishingly abysmal.

Onana was somehow supposed to cause the — and I’m laughing as I type these words — “transformation” of our attack.

No goalkeeper who will ever live can have any impact on the ability of forwards to finishing on great chances.

Onana can’t be blamed in any way for our woeful performance in attack this season. Rashford got his first goal in four matches. We know about the ridiculousness of Martial and ineffectiveness of Antony and Sancho. Garnacho is still a teenager so no complaints there. After four matches our forwards have scored only one goal. That’s not on Onana in any way, but it was always dreamy insanity to view a new modern keeper as having a transformational impact on our attacking performance.

Yes, we’re better off without a keeper who shat his pants at the sight of an oncoming attacker, but we would be well advised to moderate our expectations as to how much a goalkeeper can improve our performance on the opponent’s own third of the pitch.
Still trotting out this bollocks.

I don't think anyone ever said he would transform the attack or ensure chances were getting finished. But if you have those dozens of posts at hand, please feel free to quote them.

What people including myself said was that having a keeper who could play higher and was better on the ball, would lead to being able to play out from the back better, being able to hold onto the ball better and create more sustained periods of pressure higher up the pitch. This in turn leads to being able to create more higher quality chances.

It's only been 4 games, but already you're in here saying I told you so. We've already seen how much more comfortable and controlled the team is playing and keeping the ball in the defensive 3rd. Teams have already stopped pressing Onana, they been trying to press the ball towards the next weakest link, which has clearly been identified as AWB. I remember early on in Pep's time at City John Stones was being targeted in a similar fashion, especially in European games.

The next step is getting the link through midfield to attack working. It takes more than a handful of games for players to get used to playing and defending higher, timing runs and movements when starting attacks from a keeper who can pick out different passes, it takes time to get all these player movements working in sync consistently.

You need to relax and wait and see over the course of a larger number of games, how the team adapts to playing with a keeper who doesn't hoof the ball aimlessly at every opportunity. Before starting with all the I told you so bollocks.

Remember the geese

I don’t recall seeing your username before so I have no quarrel with you, but there was post after post after post — and dozens more — how our weakness in attack last season was directly related to De Gea’s infirmities and how Onana would “transform” our attack.

Progressing the ball out of the back effectively has absolutely no bearing on our finishing on goal. Let me be clear on this point. We did a reasonably good job last season creating chances, with Bruno actually leaving the PL in chance creation. But we were woeful on chance finishing. I don’t have the stats now (posted all this earlier this summer) but the numbers left no doubt that what our eyes saw was actually backed up by the data: we controlled possession reasonably well, created our fair share of chances, but that our finishing was abysmal. Astonishingly abysmal.

Onana was somehow supposed to cause the — and I’m laughing as I type these words — “transformation” of our attack.

No goalkeeper who will ever live can have any impact on the ability of forwards to finishing on great chances.

Onana can’t be blamed in any way for our woeful performance in attack this season. Rashford got his first goal in four matches. We know about the ridiculousness of Martial and ineffectiveness of Antony and Sancho. Garnacho is still a teenager so no complaints there. After four matches our forwards have scored only one goal. That’s not on Onana in any way, but it was always dreamy insanity to view a new modern keeper as having a transformational impact on our attacking performance.

Yes, we’re better off without a keeper who shat his pants at the sight of an oncoming attacker, but we would be well advised to moderate our expectations as to how much a goalkeeper can improve our performance on the opponent’s own third of the pitch.
You need to let this go. You were wrong then and you're still wrong now.

Crashoutcassius

You need to let this go. You were wrong then and you're still wrong now.
He is dead right. The talk was all about how onana would revolutionise our attacking play. How the whole team could squeeze up, we would have an extra man to play out, etc etc. It was just people desperate for a scape goat the same as every season - eg. The year before it was dropping Maguire that would revolutionise our team. It is never that simple. This season's narrative is yet to form but I expect awb, mount and rashford to be in the firing line as the one absolute thing we need to change to revolutionise our attacking play

Remember the geese

He is dead right. The talk was all about how onana would revolutionise our attacking play. How the whole team could squeeze up, we would have an extra man to play out, etc etc. It was just people desperate for a scape goat the same as every season - eg. The year before it was dropping Maguire that would revolutionise our team. It is never that simple. This season's narrative is yet to form but I expect awb, mount and rashford to be in the firing line as the one absolute thing we need to change to revolutionise our attacking play
Onana does broaden our attacking possibilities.

This sentence is completely true and that was the point being made about his potential signing in the summer. Check out what @Oranges038 has said:

What people including myself said was that having a keeper who could play higher and was better on the ball, would lead to being able to play out from the back better, being able to hold onto the ball better and create more sustained periods of pressure higher up the pitch. This in turn leads to being able to create more higher quality chances.
Onana does not have any impact on our forwards ability to finish great chances.

This sentence is a complete fantasy that @lex talionis has created in order to dismiss Onana. Nobody ever said that his sheer presence was going to suddenly make Antony finish like Van Nistelrooy for example.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There’s a stat recently showing that we’re winning possession high up the pitch more than any other team in the league. The Arsenal game showed how much better we are at dealing with a high press now DDG is gone. It’s fairly fecking obvious that Onana is already positively influencing the way we play. What he can’t influence is what we do with the ball after winning it high up the pitch, or passing our way through the press. And literally nobody ever implied that he could.

Rossa

I think Onana certainly makes us more comfortable playing out from the back. However, the biggest difference I can spot is our defensive third. We keep the ball much more in that part of the game, and Onana is very active passing out from the back and recycling posession. From time to time he makes a forward pass into midfield, but re-cycling is very much a theme. I'm not quite sure if that makes us better as a team improving our attacking play. What is absolute sure for my part is that it makes football unbearable to watch.

That being said, Pogue is right in saying that we are pressing higher as a team. Whether that is down to Onana facilitating a higher line, or if our attackers are better drilled in how to press, I am not sure.

Oranges038

Onana does broaden our attacking possibilities.

This sentence is completely true and that was the point being made about his potential signing in the summer. Check out what @Oranges038 has said:

Onana does not have any impact on our forwards ability to finish great chances.

This sentence is a complete fantasy that @lex talionis has created in order to dismiss Onana. Nobody ever said that his sheer presence was going to suddenly make Antony finish like Van Nistelrooy for example.
It's actually funny, because said poster keeps alluding to these posts that made these claims. But they never actually provide the proof of where these claims came from.

If you look in the Onana thread before he signed or the DDG performance thread from last season. There's really only 1 person arguing about the goalkeepers impact on strikers finishing chances. Most other people can see the bigger picture in terms of the impact a goalkeeper of his style and abilities can have.

https://www.redcafe.net/search/366242/

https://www.redcafe.net/search/366264/

The problem with the "our attack is shite because of De Gea" misses the obvious observation that our attackers are nowhere near the quality we expect them to be at. Martial, Sancho and Antony would get nowhere near the squads, let alone the starting XI, of City, Arsenal, Liverpool and probably Newcastle as well. Rashford makes these squads, but no chance does he start on a regular basis for City, Arsenal and Liverpool. Each of those would be very interested in Garnacho, but he's an incredible prospect and as of this writing, most definitely not a proven goal scorer or assist machine. The deficiencies of our front line this season have nothing to do with De Gea's passing ability or lack thereof.

Don’t forget the more profound indictment against De Gea, that his passing deficiencies out of the back have caused Martial, Sancho and Antony — possibly Weghorst as well although I haven’t that post yet — to miss clear cut chances on goal.

Any keeper who causes our forwards to shit their pants when through on goal must be gotten rid of, though it might be going too far to burn any remaining shirts in inventory at the Megastore.

Apparently we're completely fecked if De Gea stays, as he's the clearly reason why our front line, apart from Rashford, utter shite last season.

With Onana at OT, Weghorst would score at least 20 goals in the PL, such is the mastery of his footwork.

The argument goes like this: Onana is a superior distributor of the ball, which in turn will lead to vastly superior finishing on the opponent's goal. Martial and Sancho will go from shite to outstanding. Antony wasn't exactly shite last season, but with a new keeper Antony will develop a right foot. And with those three on fire, we will be at least in the conversation for a proper PL title challenge. If this is valid reasoning, then it's a no-brainer to get rid of De Gea and bring in Onana. (Fukking spell check...it's not Obama!)

Remember the geese

It's actually funny, because said poster keeps alluding to these posts that made these claims. But they never actually provide the proof of where these claims came from.
Yeah the poster comes across as very smug and that any opposition to his view is laughable. Problem is, the point he is arguing against is one that is purely a fabric of his own imagination.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
No it really wouldn't. It was his close post and he did not cover it. Only redeeming fact is what in the name of feck was Dalot doing. But that also can be addressed as bad organizing, something that was often thrown at our previous goalie as a factor of not being good enough.
Ddg has saved a ton of goals like that

Remember the geese

Quite obviously wrong, as it’s clearly the case that our attack has already become a juggernaut that has instilled fear, if not panic, in every opponent we have faced so far.
Yes, you are quite obviously wrong. I'm not the one fabricating false arguments in my head as a means to criticise our new goalkeeper.

Teja

Progressing the ball out of the back effectively has absolutely no bearing on our finishing on goal. Let me be clear on this point. We did a reasonably good job last season creating chances, with Bruno actually leaving the PL in chance creation. But we were woeful on chance finishing. I don’t have the stats now (posted all this earlier this summer) but the numbers left no doubt that what our eyes saw was actually backed up by the data: we controlled possession reasonably well, created our fair share of chances, but that our finishing was abysmal. Astonishingly abysmal.

What are you on about? Arsenal changed their entire pressing structure because of Onana. This was partly why we had more of the ball than Arsenal in the first half.

Onana did his job.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
No it really wouldn't. It was his close post and he did not cover it. Only redeeming fact is what in the name of feck was Dalot doing. But that also can be addressed as bad organizing, something that was often thrown at our previous goalie as a factor of not being good enough.
Truly bizarre take on that goal. The obvious redeeming factor was the big deflection, very near to him, on a shot that was smashed at him from not far outside the six yard box.

Oranges038

Quite obviously wrong, as it’s clearly the case that our attack has already become a juggernaut that has instilled fear, if not panic, in every opponent we have faced so far.
I still can't find anywhere where anyone has made a post that said a new keeper would totally transform the attack and increase the forwards proficiency in front of goal.

RedOrange

That being said, Pogue is right in saying that we are pressing higher as a team. Whether that is down to Onana facilitating a higher line, or if our attackers are better drilled in how to press, I am not sure.
It can be both.

FujiVice

He's in the running for the Ballon D'or. Maybe he's not as shite as some are saying eh?

RedOrange

Your argument is that Onana is actually a bad keeper because you've claimed someone else said he'd help United's attack. How long are you going to continue with this?

RedOrange

Would you rather had keep DDG and brought another CB or you're happy with Onana?
Happy with Onana. There's no guarantee that a world class keeper would have been available for a decent price next summer, and not having to pay De Gea's wages for another year already covered almost half of Onana's transfer fee anyways.

lex talionis

I still can't find anywhere where anyone has made a post that said a new keeper would totally transform the attack and increase the forwards proficiency in front of goal.
Search posts for most of the month of June. There was quite an extensive discussion about the "transformation" of our attack that a modern keeper will enable.

But it's not just a caf obsession.

https://www.sportinglife.com/footba...-transform-manchester-uniteds-fortunes/210622

And then of course the manager himself:

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/and...vid-de-gea-gbp48m-signing/bltb79e93709e534ead

"That's why we wanted to sign him. With him, something will change in our game."

To be fair, of course a manager is going to praise his new acquisition and there's enough ambiguity in the assertion "something to change in our game" to allow only the possibility that the new keeper won't make the same kinds of colossal mistakes that Dave made, such as his howler against West Ham and any number of glove-based howlers of recent years and nothing more, but we all know that the primary idea behind Onana was that he would improve our attack. Although it's still very early days, our attack is still pretty poor - which in no way is an indictment of Onana, our keeper. So let's keep ETH out of this and get back to the unjustified hyperbole.

Statman Dave is ordinarily pretty solid, but his hardon for Onana is truly epic. I watch his videos pretty regularly and throughout the months of June and July it was Onana transformation this and transformation that.

I don't know how to post tweets here but how about this for a recent tweet?

Andre Onana completed 12 passes in the first 15 mins vs. Arsenal, more than any Arsenal player on the pitch managed so far. Sweeper Keeper.

Andre Onana completed 40/51 passes against Arsenal, more than David de Gea managed in a single Premier League game since 2015/16 for Manchester United.

Those are indeed remarkable numbers, worthy of high praise, but it's worth noting that despite all the passes attempted and completed by our keeper that we still lost the game. Perhaps we would have lost by an even greater margin had Onana not attempted and completed as many passes as he did, but most player ratings I found on him had him at a 6.

But beyond that, our attack has in no way look improved let alone transformed so far this season. Mitigating circumstances explain part of it as Hojlund wasn't available the first three games and going with Martial at this point in his career is suicidal, but we knew about that back in June/July when Onana euphoria was its peak. A bit of euphoria over any new signing is part of the covenant we sign up for as club supporters, whatever the club may be, but the crescendo of promises about this supposed transformation was really cringey.

I don't like singling out posters so you can search this, which was pretty much par for the course:

Onana will be worth more team goals to us than a 20 goal striker will be (over and above the 38 games played by last seasons #9)

I think his signing will be transformative.

This was posted on July 27. This prophecy may well prove to come true.

acnumber9

I reckon you’ll struggle. I play(ed) in goals. If a shot is hit hard and deflected that close to you it’s basically unsaveable. All you can do is hope you’re lucky and it hits you.
Surely it’s considerably less unsaveable if you get your hand to it? Then it’s a case of how strong your wrists are.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tiny sample size obviously but comparing Onana so far with De Gea last season.

PSxG/90: Onana +0.04, De Gea -0.02
Crosses stopped: Onana 4.8%, De Gea 2.9%
Def. Actions Outside Penalty Area per 90: Onana 1.00, De Gea 0.84.

So if this continued across the season he would be an improvement on De Gea last season in terms of shot-stopping, dealing with crosses and sweeping. And that's without even mentioning his passing ability, which is his main strength.

On that note, an illuminating stat: Last season we went long (40+ yard) on 63.1% of our goal kicks. So far this season it has been 35.1%. That's a very significant, immediate difference to how we play.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Surely it’s considerably less unsaveable if you get your hand to it? Then it’s a case of how strong your wrists are.
That depends. The deflection means if you do get to the ball you’re getting to it late, which makes it’s very hard to get enough on it to get it round the post. Especially if the contact is very close to the line.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Tiny sample size obviously but comparing Onana so far with De Gea last season.

PSxG/90: Onana +0.04, De Gea -0.02
Crosses stopped: Onana 4.8%, De Gea 2.9%
Def. Actions Outside Penalty Area per 90: Onana 1.00, De Gea 0.84.

So if this continued across the season he would be an improvement on De Gea last season in terms of shot-stopping, dealing with crosses and sweeping. And that's without even mentioning his passing ability, which is his main strength.

On that note, an illuminating stat: Last season we went long (40+ yard) on 63.1% of our goal kicks. So far this season it has been 35.1%. That's a very significant, immediate difference to how we play.
Feck the facts. DDG would have saved it.

Oranges038

Search posts for most of the month of June. There was quite an extensive discussion about the "transformation" of our attack that a modern keeper will enable.

But it's not just a caf obsession.

https://www.sportinglife.com/footba...-transform-manchester-uniteds-fortunes/210622

And then of course the manager himself:

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/and...vid-de-gea-gbp48m-signing/bltb79e93709e534ead

"That's why we wanted to sign him. With him, something will change in our game."

To be fair, of course a manager is going to praise his new acquisition and there's enough ambiguity in the assertion "something to change in our game" to allow only the possibility that the new keeper won't make the same kinds of colossal mistakes that Dave made, such as his howler against West Ham and any number of glove-based howlers of recent years and nothing more, but we all know that the primary idea behind Onana was that he would improve our attack. Although it's still very early days, our attack is still pretty poor - which in no way is an indictment of Onana, our keeper. So let's keep ETH out of this and get back to the unjustified hyperbole.

Statman Dave is ordinarily pretty solid, but his hardon for Onana is truly epic. I watch his videos pretty regularly and throughout the months of June and July it was Onana transformation this and transformation that.

I don't know how to post tweets here but how about this for a recent tweet?

Andre Onana completed 12 passes in the first 15 mins vs. Arsenal, more than any Arsenal player on the pitch managed so far. Sweeper Keeper.

Andre Onana completed 40/51 passes against Arsenal, more than David de Gea managed in a single Premier League game since 2015/16 for Manchester United.

Those are indeed remarkable numbers, worthy of high praise, but it's worth noting that despite all the passes attempted and completed by our keeper that we still lost the game. Perhaps we would have lost by an even greater margin had Onana not attempted and completed as many passes as he did, but most player ratings I found on him had him at a 6.

But beyond that, our attack has in no way look improved let alone transformed so far this season. Mitigating circumstances explain part of it as Hojlund wasn't available the first three games and going with Martial at this point in his career is suicidal, but we knew about that back in June/July when Onana euphoria was its peak. A bit of euphoria over any new signing is part of the covenant we sign up for as club supporters, whatever the club may be, but the crescendo of promises about this supposed transformation was really cringey.

I don't like singling out posters so you can search this, which was pretty much par for the course:

Onana will be worth more team goals to us than a 20 goal striker will be (over and above the 38 games played by last seasons #9)

I think his signing will be transformative.

This was posted on July 27. This prophecy may well prove to come true.
So nobody actually stated that he would improve the strikers proficiency in front of goal or that he would transform the attack.

lex talionis

So nobody actually stated that he would improve the strikers proficiency in front of goal or that he would transform the attack.
Yes, they did. It's ok, as this forum is all about offering opinions. I've been wrong about a number of things, including the wisdom of bringing back Ronaldo.

KD6-3.7

As expected Onana is getting heavily scrutinised but what I can’t accept is these pundits going on like DDG was at his peak for United last season when even all of them were questioning every aspect of his game especially the one that Onana is an oceans level above.

Right now is just a bad time to be a United player. Onana was in the shortlist for best GK‘s last season and you look in the comments and everyone is going on about Onana being there even though it was clearly for his season with Inter with everyone praising his performances especially in the CL final but now he plays for United which makes him automatically garbage.

tenhagsimp

There’s a stat recently showing that we’re winning possession high up the pitch more than any other team in the league. The Arsenal game showed how much better we are at dealing with a high press now DDG is gone. It’s fairly fecking obvious that Onana is already positively influencing the way we play. What he can’t influence is what we do with the ball after winning it high up the pitch, or passing our way through the press. And literally nobody ever implied that he could.
This. Do you guys think Onana is a footballing God who can do anything ? Even if he is the best ever keeper in the history of mankind he wont be able to help us in this regard. Same like Messi and Ronaldo cant influence what the team do when they are under attack

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Doesn’t change the player he is.
True. But using that award argument for performance with other team, isn't necessarily suitable. Juve's and United's Pogba are judged differently.

Anyway, I'm very satisfied with Onana's performance so far. Don't care much about stats comparing with others.
Also I don't see anyone (regular posters) saying he's a shite Gk , but there's doubt on certain aspect of his play, which is understandable.

Last edited:

quadrant

Last season anyone pressing us had a field day. If we tried to play through it, we shit the bed and the team collapsed. So more often than not, we just hoofed it and hoped. This week we just played away to Arsenal, probably the third-best pressing team in the league, and Onana just handled their press like it was nothing. He's taken one of our biggest weaknesses and four games in, turned it into a strength. I'd already call that a pretty big transformation.

As for the impact on the overall team, lets wait and see. The poor output of our midfield and attack at the start of the season is not because we have a keeper who can handle a press. The fitness, availability and/or form of our attackers are responsible for our limited goals. But we know they can and will play better than that as the season goes on. When they begin to perform somewhere closer to their peak, the relative impact of being able to hold the ball in deep areas and cut through a press will be easier to see.

IWat

Five games for us. Are we really going to compare a first five games to a peak period for a player? .keep in mind at the time ddg was seen as expensive for a GK, and his first five games were arguably worse (and ddg had the benefit of joining a cl finalist and prem holders with a settled experience defence)
I do actually agree, it's still too early to make real judgements. I could make the argument DDG was much younger and so you'd naturally expect him to be more raw and DDG was entering his peak at the age Onana is - But it's still only his first 5 games. Unfortunately the price combined with his age does mean he's going to be given less slack than DDG was in his first couple of seasons.

tomaldinho1

In four games, he's conceded 8, and picked up two yellows, at that rate he's going to be out for half the season on suspensions alone.
I know this will come back to bite me, but at the moment he is looking more like a downgrade on Taibi
Knowing something is coming back to bite you, meaning you know what you’re righting will be proven wrong but doing it regardless because it’s a hot take?

Andersons Dietician

Watching him it’s amazing how often the same pattern is played when we play out from the back but it’s the exact same thing DeGea was doing. I’ve already seen enough of Onana to know he has a far vaster range and willingness to use it level of passing. He has played 3 or 4 absolute peaches through the line already.

However still long punt to fullback like DeGea or that dreaded pass that got DeGea crucified because it was deemed silly yet Onana plays it again and again.

Can’t recall what game it was but DeGea passed out to Eriksen who is facing DDG, the plan to nip it around the corner out to Bissaka. However that was read, the ball was intercepted and they scored. DDG blamed for it.

Watching the Arsenal game Onana did the same thing about 8 times and Eriksen every time just nipped it out to Bissaka having drawn the press. However he got away with it multiple times. Just be interesting to see if these keeps happening how long it is till we give a goal away as it’s fairly predictable.

Rockets Redglare

Watching him it’s amazing how often the same pattern is played when we play out from the back but it’s the exact same thing DeGea was doing. I’ve already seen enough of Onana to know he has a far vaster range and willingness to use it level of passing. He has played 3 or 4 absolute peaches through the line already.

However still long punt to fullback like DeGea or that dreaded pass that got DeGea crucified because it was deemed silly yet Onana plays it again and again.

Can’t recall what game it was but DeGea passed out to Eriksen who is facing DDG, the plan to nip it around the corner out to Bissaka. However that was read, the ball was intercepted and they scored. DDG blamed for it.

Watching the Arsenal game Onana did the same thing about 8 times and Eriksen every time just nipped it out to Bissaka having drawn the press. However he got away with it multiple times. Just be interesting to see if these keeps happening how long it is till we give a goal away as it’s fairly predictable.
The difference is the quality and pace of the pass, that’s the reason De Gea was criticised.
Onana can play that ball instantly whereas De Gea would take an age and the opposition would have already pressed higher to intercept.