View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

James35

I know I’m in the minority but I’d do not think he is a better shot stopper than De Gea. Other attributes are definitely an improvement mind.

spiriticon

I was doubtful about his ability when he signed, tried to get myself excited, but now I think my initial gut feeling was right.

Hope he gets better.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
DDG was still a problem and if we had renewed him we'd be stuck with a very expensive keeper on the decline for multiple years.

I do agree that we should've allocated the transfer funds better though. Instead of spending so much on Onana, surely we could've identified a cheaper stop-gap for a year or two.
I don't have much issue with Onana the player. Just with ETH's misguided attempts at spending that much on a new keeper would somehow resolve something at the back, and in the process, squander our transfer budget on yet another nepotism hire from ETH's past. I don't see much difference between what Onana has demonstrated so compared with the performances of most PL keepers. Nothing against the player, it just seems like money that could've been spent elsewhere to improve our deficiency in attack. Same argument applies to Mount.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
We went from a keeper who can't kick to a keeper who can't save.

Ah Manchester United, you're one of a kind!

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I don't have much issue with Onana the player. Just with ETH's misguided attempts at spending that much on a new keeper would somehow resolve something at the back, and in the process, squander our transfer budget on yet another nepotism hire from ETH's past. I don't see much difference between what Onana has demonstrated so compared with the performances of most PL keepers. Nothing against the player, it just seems like money that could've been spent elsewhere to improve our deficiency in attack. Same argument applies to Mount.
Fair enough, I agree completely with that

GMoore23

I remember those that said the old keeper was the problem. Turns out he really wasn't and we've since spent money on a new one instead of fixing our striker problem.
He was a problem but Onana may not be the solution.

Someone

Something
Think he was signed based on his CL final performance which caught us all by surprise. But I don't think he's a good keeper overall. Unless a shot is directed at him it's going in. Plenty of times I feel like he's slowing down our play for no reason, takes forever on the ball. Today even his long passing wasn't good. I don't think De Gea is the answer, but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of top keepers who are capable of more. I think we fecked up with this one.

FerociousCorgis

We still have the same issue as before-our outfield players are not suited for a pure possession and pass out from the back style. I said the same thing when ddg was here. Too often with ddg nobody fecking knew how, or wanted to, get themselves open for a pass under pressure to retain possession. So ddg was forced to go long over and over. Same damn shit under onana. Biggest misconception is that it starts with the gk when in reality it starts with the first person to show for the short pass and is on the whole team to come together to constantly provide players passing options when under pressure

Trex

The goals he's conceded were good goals but good keepers keep some of them out. He needs to do better.

Zed is not dead

I said it last season, and I said it again a couple weeks ago: there’s not much use having a goalkeeper good with his feet if you don’t have onfield players able to turn under pressure.

The more he plays, the less I’m convinced by Onana. He seems to stand on his line as much as De Gea, he might be calmer with the ball at his feet but his long range distribution doesn’t seem that great, and he’s showing concerning signs about his shotstopping abilities.
Also for a sweeper keeper, he doesn’t seem to sweep that much.

I don’t know if it’s the pressure getting at him, but except for his first game, he seems to have stopped being vocal and commanding his back four.

Anyways, looking forward to his second clean sheet

Acole9

Outstanding
Oh he's certainly transformed our play alright. Let's loads of goals in but moves into a high position when we have the ball, what a nutter.

Chicharo

It's still early to write him off, but I really don't see his distribution which he was so lauded for.
As for shot stopping, he's been bang average thus far

Son

The keeper just isn’t the problem. Maybe if we didn’t get our goal peppered with shots to begin with that would be a start.

City could play without a keeper and win most matches :lol:

Cantonalegod

He manages to make the net look absolutely massive when he's stood in it. It's weird.

Not wholly convinced he's good at this saving shots stuff... Also how long range passing is nothing to write home about so far
That's because he never appears to come out to narrow the angle.

redNATION

He’d be fine at City or Arsenal because he matches their play style, possession and ball retention. Here we need a shot stopper which is why DDG stuck around for so long , we give up possession and chances so often it’s hopeless being a ball playing keeper. Even Alisson and Ederson would struggle here.

marktan

Anymore ex Ajax players for big money that we can sign that turn out to be average? Identify them and blacklist them immediately.

SirScholes

Oh he's certainly transformed our play alright. Let's loads of goals in but moves into a high position when we have the ball, what a nutter.
Haha these posts man

sure let a goalkeeper have no defence or midfield and then say “go on son, keep a clean sheet”

ridiculous

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Think he was signed based on his CL final performance which caught us all by surprise. But I don't think he's a good keeper overall. Unless a shot is directed at him it's going in. Plenty of times I feel like he's slowing down our play for no reason, takes forever on the ball. Today even his long passing wasn't good. I don't think De Gea is the answer, but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of top keepers who are capable of more. I think we fecked up with this one.
Guardiola talked about him in the build up to the CL final. His performance wasn’t a surprise or a Kleberson-esque World Cup performance.

Erics_Collar

Im no fan of David Raya, but can't see any difference between him and Onana.

One was 50 million, the other was a cheap loan that would have allowed us to spend 50 million elsewhere.

Think of how many other ETH nepo babies that would have bought.

El Zoido

I don’t blame him for any of the goals, they were gifted chances. I feel for him, you can see the frustration when he has the ball at his feet and nobody is opening themselves up for a pass, and he ends up having to boot it upfield.

ReparableTrack0

Most shots on target are goals. We probably are biased because we are used to David saving most shots. Not saying David is better but this isn’t much of an improvement. Hopefully he settles in finds form fast!

Sylar

Think he should have done better with the third. At the same time he did well on the fati chance.

I don't understand why we got him, and have made him play different from pre season. Is it because he got lobbed in a friendly? I feel like this is a tactic rather than an Onana chance

It's gonna be hard to judge him fully until he has a settled defence in front of him.

Has he has Martinez and varane at least start in front of him in consecutive games (and finish them)?

We might see his best when everyone is fit and available

Red Rash

Not at fault for the goals but without second viewing I thought he could have saved the third one.

Castia

We went from a keeper who can't kick to a keeper who can't save.

Ah Manchester United, you're one of a kind!
This made me laugh and then really sad all within the space of 3 seconds

what a mess

theatreofdreams777

We wasted so much money on this guy. And to make the matters worse he'll be going to AFCON and the other keeper we signed is much worse than him. If you don't like Onana, just wait for Altay because he's the master of blunders.

Paying 60m only to weaken your GK department is farcical. EtH deserves sacking just on that.

Bobski

His would have needed Ronald Koeman level passing from the back to match the hype. He doesn't, very composed on the ball and strikes a mean diagonal but it isn't transformative, no one player can be in this situation. Ultimately the approach of the team has to change, how it is constructed, then you get the best out of his ball playing.

PSV

Can't pass. Can't save. Stuck in Africa for a month mid-season. Yep, great deal. Managers should be barred from signing ex-players.

Sylar

His would have needed Ronald Koeman level passing from the back to match the hype. He doesn't, very composed on the ball and strikes a mean diagonal but it isn't transformative, no one player can be in this situation. Ultimately the approach of the team has to change, how it is constructed, then you get the best out of his ball playing.
I think a problem with the passing is two fold. When he's going long we really only have hoijlund attacking it. Rashford doesn't really and it becomes an easy clean up for the opposition. It's a good tactic to try and get the second ball but we aren't doing it correctly imo

For the short passes it's fine when we have Martinez. But then short to medium were giving it to either Eriksen or casemiro (can't say mctominay because he doesn't show)
I'm interested to see how it is when we have amrabat as the one showing down the middle creating options wider.