View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Malone_Post

Should have saved the third one, and quite easily at that. Didn’t have a chance with the first two. First thing he’s done that I’ve been disappointed in.

The people that genuinely want DDG back are properly mental though. There’s a reason we’re over a month into the season and not a single club wants him.

Pronewbie

Peep
Only caught the 2nd half and thought he did well. Made 2 good 1 on 1 saves and wasn't really at fault for the goals imo. His shot stopping is never going to be prime De Gea tier but I don't see how it's been a step down from de Gea's last 2 seasons. I'd put it at least on Ederson's level.

It's not his fault that our game plan and player transfers have been a mess and doesn't fully utilise his biggest skill-set.

Rossa

Good with his feet in terms of short passing, which has enabled us to play out from the back quite well; it also make us look lethargic and quite boring to watch, but we'll improve.

His shot stopping thus far is a concern. I think he could have saved their second and third goal today. They are by no means mistakes. However, he gets his hand to the second, but he goes with both hands, which reduces reach, and he still fluffs it - it has happened before, him getting a hand on the ball but it still going in. Then the last goal. The shot is quite weak and isn't placed close to the post, but he is slow in getting down. Again, not a mistake, but they are both possible to save.

Sylar

10 shots on target and 7 conceded

So he’s made 3 saves all season :lol:
Brighton had 8 shots on target and scored 3...

The disrespect DDG get on this board is horrendous when you see Onana letting in goals left and right. He's not a stopper, get use to this.....but hey...he can pass out of the back.
I have asked this so many times and never get answered, what disrespect? Which posts are showing him disrespect?

If you say posts where it points out his mistakes or his weaknesses, then I don't know what to say

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Still think the good will outweigh the bad overall from Onana but he's not a good enough shot stopper to play glued to his line. Feels like we're not playing in a way to get the most out what he's good at, so then what he's not good at becomes an even bigger liability than it might "normally" - similar to Mount. Then he tries to compensate and plays conservatively to not make a mistake - again, similar to Mount so far - but it just creates a downward spiral. We need to take some chances and play with a lead which would build his confidence

Bole Top

De Gea obviously brought his own issues to the team, but never to the point you could say he was holding us back from... whatever. if you're City, yes, it's probably better to have Onana than De Gea. any other team, a team that is far from elite team, or simply a current struggling United... it's probably better simply having a goalkeeper that actually saves you points. all this talk about goalkeeper making a crucial contribution to our attack was laughable. we simply aren't at that level where such goalkeeper makes drastic difference.

Artorias

De Gea obviously brought his own issues to the team, but never to the point you could say he was holding us back from... whatever. if you're City, yes, it's probably better to have Onana than De Gea. any other team, a team that is far from elite team, or simply a current struggling United... it's probably better simply having a goalkeeper that actually saves you points. all this talk about goalkeeper making a crucial contribution to our attack was laughable. we simply aren't at that level where such goalkeeper makes drastic difference.
Rather have DDG and save that 50m than Onana to be honest. ETH signings aren't very impresive.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I have asked this so many times and never get answered, what disrespect? Which posts are showing him disrespect?

If you say posts where it points out his mistakes or his weaknesses, then I don't know what to say
I think you are banking on the fact that no one is going to spend their time searching back through old posts to prove you wrong.

However, if you did I reckon you could easily find multiple posts calling him an absolute weak coward and telling him to feck off. I’d say that that’s disrespect.

el3mel

He's a different goalkeeper than De Gea, completely the opposite in fact. His shot stopping is decent/above average at best but he plays well with his feet.

Considering that we signed him, you'll think the club was planning for the shift in abilities and will build the team so that the defense is more secured in front of him and we don't rely on him saving our arses with crazy saves like what we used to do under De Gea and at the same time benefit from his ability to start playing some possession based football.

But we have zero clue as usual. We have a godawful defense waiting for Onana to create miraculous saves like De Gea used to do in his prime and we're playing shit on stick football that doesn't utilize his ability to pass the ball from the back well.

We're hopeless.

It's not his fault but the team has to adapt to his qualities and move on from De Gea. They're completely different keepers.

SER19

bizarre target for some today. Clearly a better player and that save from Fati near the end was incredible. He also made a great save v Wolves. The very least of our concerns. Since minute 1 of the season our outfield has been like wet tissue

Ted Lasso

Rather have DDG and save that 50m than Onana to be honest. ETH signings aren't very impresive.
I'm also underwhelmed , but mainly because we don't seem to be using his hyped up super extraordinary passing. He makes a couple of long balls out wide and that's it. So at this point I'm scratching my head wondering what we've actually gained whereas you can see in the recent goals what we've lost with De Gea

Stadjer

bizarre target for some today. Clearly a better player and that save from Fati near the end was incredible. He also made a great save v Wolves. The very least of our concerns. Since minute 1 of the season our outfield has been like wet tissue
He was always going to be a target for some aftrr replacing a player that had been at the club for a very long time.

Dont forget that most of the 'Dave saves that' or 'Onana is shit at making saves' people have Onana compete with their memory of prime David de Gea and not with average at best David de Gea from last 3 (or more?) seasons.

Stadjer

David de Gea was holding us back from having a chance at winning the FA cup final last season with his performance in that finale...

Todd

He hasn't been bad and I don't think you can blame him for many of these goals. That being said, we would've been better off using the money on an outfield player and keeping De Gea.

Sylar

I think you are banking on the fact that no one is going to spend their time searching back through old posts to prove you wrong.

However, if you did I reckon you could easily find multiple posts calling him an absolute weak coward and telling him to feck off. I’d say that that’s disrespect.
No, I'm banking on the fact that I've seen more posts saying he gets disrespected compared to actual disrespect.
And it keeps being mentioned that he gets disrespected a lot.

If we're taking about one or two posters, fine, that happens to every single player. And that basically nullifies the point.
I've seen Maguire, mct, etc get it. I've seen so many of our players get it in the match day thread (where its chaos)

So again, I ask, those who throw that accusation out, where? I've hardly seen it in this thread, or the ddg appreciation thread or the other ddg thread where there's more discussion of him not having a club.

What I am however seeing is people saying ddg would have saved the majority of shots that onana let in which is actually ridiculous unless we're talking about 2016 ddg, given the huge amount of evidence our keeper provided last season,where its now questionable

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
He hasn't been bad and I don't think you can blame him for many of these goals. That being said, we would've been better off using the money on an outfield player and keeping De Gea.
Agreed. Can't think of a single goal he was responsible for 100%.

Our defenders/midfielders are letting opposition players to smash it unmarked from literally the penalty spot time after time. No keeper is saving those shots.

We have bigger problems everywhere else.

crossy1686

career ending
Agree with this but we had to shift De Gea on instead of giving him a new deal. He cost us in some big games last season and it was unbearable

flappyjay

If we aren't planning on using his passing ability to it's full potential we should have just kept either one of De Gea/Henderson and invested the 47m on a mid or a forward.

Devil81

Not really getting the criticism, I haven't really seen a horrific error or a goal I've felt he could save yet. Even the Arsenal second goal took a horrible deflection.

If the team was playing better in front of him this wouldn't even be a talk point.

izzydiggler

It's early days but the idea he's 'changed the way we play' and anybody who thought otherwise was a 'neanderthal' is very questionable at the moment.

Sylar

Would you have trusted our current structure to use the money correctly? We went and got mount who I honestly don't see as a fix. If anything based on pre season (albeit a game) I think we're missing mainoo more than mount in terms of what we really need for our midfield.

Not only that but a few situations where he's diffused an attack by diving out to prevent a shot. He did the same Vs wolves.

It's just annoying he's not sweeping as much as he was during pre season and getting a bit more involved. Maybe that's because we don't have varane, Shaw and mainoo ? Maybe we will see his full strengths when we have a better consistent spine which is what Eth wants?

tomaldinho1

The DDG fans conveniently remembering pre WC De Gea’s form whenever they compare them. He was a bang average shot stopper last few years with us, ended up as arguably the worst keeper in the league lat year. Onana is bedding in with a team still in turmoil, I like what he brings.

mu4c_20le

Not really getting the criticism, I haven't really seen a horrific error or a goal I've felt he could save yet. Even the Arsenal second goal took a horrible deflection.

If the team was playing better in front of him this wouldn't even be a talk point.
Thank god for that, he'd be another Taibi if his mistake were that obvious. As the keeper of Manchester united though, expectations are sky high, and sometimes he will be expected to pull off unreasonable saves, and be scrutinized for the ones he doesn't.

Just comes with the job, I'm sure he understands.

wolvored

Didnt De Gea turn down £200k a week still making him the highest paid gk in the world, when he was nowhere near the best in the world? He was on a massive decline from 3/4 seasons ago at a still young age for a gk. We had to let him go. His ego is that big that no one has signed him up as he thinks he can still get the money Utd were paying him.

lex talionis

Should have saved the third one, and quite easily at that. Didn’t have a chance with the first two. First thing he’s done that I’ve been disappointed in.

The people that genuinely want DDG back are properly mental though. There’s a reason we’re over a month into the season and not a single club wants him.
Not even a League One or USL side has gone in for De Gea, therefore it’s obviously proven that Dave isn’t good enough for either league.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think he should/could do better with the 3rd goal today. However overall he was fine

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
No, I'm banking on the fact that I've seen more posts saying he gets disrespected compared to actual disrespect.
And it keeps being mentioned that he gets disrespected a lot.

If we're taking about one or two posters, fine, that happens to every single player. And that basically nullifies the point.
I've seen Maguire, mct, etc get it. I've seen so many of our players get it in the match day thread (where its chaos)

So again, I ask, those who throw that accusation out, where? I've hardly seen it in this thread, or the ddg appreciation thread or the other ddg thread where there's more discussion of him not having a club.

What I am however seeing is people saying ddg would have saved the majority of shots that onana let in which is actually ridiculous unless we're talking about 2016 ddg, given the huge amount of evidence our keeper provided last season,where its now questionable
Use the search option on here to search the term “coward”, and see the common occurrences in the Player Performance threads it comes up in. It’s not ‘one or two’, and it’s not equally distributed. If you look at the post of yours that I responded to, it does feel like you’ve now moved the goal posts a little from what was quite a specific question about disrespect, and the fact that you felt it didn’t occur.

Re the whole ‘DDG would have saved that’, I do agree that it’s both unprovable and frankly pointless.

Sylar

Use the search option on here to search the term “coward”, and see the common occurrences in the Player Performance threads it comes up in. It’s not ‘one or two’, and it’s not equally distributed. If you look at the post of yours that I responded to, it does feel like you’ve now moved the goal posts a little from what was quite a specific question about disrespect, and the fact that you felt it didn’t occur.

Re the whole ‘DDG would have saved that’, I do agree that it’s both unprovable and frankly pointless.
I just did
Sancho, ddg, lindelof heavily.
And even martial and casemiro on the first three pages.

As I said, he's not getting it in a bigger distribution than others.

And tbh, I believe I've used coward to describe ddg when he conceded that goal v arsenal where Fred stepped on his foot,he fell to the ground and turned his back on the whole pitch which resulted in a goal.

Which goes back to my point there is more discussion about how hes disrespected than him actually being disrespected.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I just did
And
I just did
And even martial and casemiro on the first three pages.

As I said, he's not getting it in a bigger distribution than others.

And tbh, I believe I've used coward to describe ddg when he conceded that goal v arsenal where Fred stepped on his foot,he fell to the ground and turned his back on the whole pitch which resulted in a goal.

Which goes back to my point there is more discussion about how hes disrespected than him actually being disrespected.
So there’s a group of say, 4 players, out of twenty-odd, who are called a disrespectful (rather than constructively critical) term. Not sure how that proves your point. You said you didn’t think it happened, and asked for examples. Now you’ve found those examples yourself, you seem to be saying that because it also happened to a smallish minority of other disliked players, that it somehow negates the fact that it happened to De Gea. Just accept that it DID happen, that you didn’t believe it and asked for examples, and that you then received them!

RedAlert27

Third goal was a howler to let in, if that was De Gea people would be all over it. Add to that the first Forest goal, (God knows what he was doing) and the second Arsenal goal he should've stopped. Big doubts over him already.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Said it before I don’t care how bad De Gea was with his feet he was an amazing goalkeeper otherwise. Constantly saved us. Was a big gamble getting rid of him.

So far this guy looks nowhere near as good as a keeper and I haven’t seen any good footwork either. Nevertheless, it’s still very early days.