View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

BorisManUtd

Gave him a 6/10. It would've been 8/10 like for others but that goal is his fault and it's something we've seen this season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think it's fair to say that he will have to eradicate the mistakes he's been making this season and become more consistent as far the bread and butter stuff of the role is concerned for next season. But I have no doubt that with De Gea in goal, Man City's high press wouldve been more effective and hence we would've succumbed to their high-line tactics. What Onana provided in the final was a composure on the ball that we severely lacked last season where De Gea played a major role in making Man City even more threatening than they should've been. Man City didn't have the luxury of making easy high regains in the cup final unlike last season. And I think Onana played a part in that and along with Martinez, Amrabat, Mainoo and Dalot, our build up capability against the press was much better. And then the box defending and experience of Varane also made a difference along with Wan Bissaka's elite 1v1 defensive ability.

But I hope Onana can become more consistent with the bread and butter stuff because I have no doubt about his ability on the ball which I believe will be even more pronounced as we further develop as a team. But as keeper you must do the basics of your position well and I thought he did well on a number of occasions where his saves and command of the box was very good. But he will need to do the basics well next season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Had both a good season on the whole while also way too many mistakes. He's a good goalkeeper who has all the tools, who is prone to big errors unfortunately. Goalkeepers are defined by consistency ... He won't hold us back from playing a certain way, but the mistakes have to be cut out. Lucky it didn't cost us today

Andersons Dietician

He was I thought doing well yesterday. Then he has that moment where he flaps at the ball instead of catching it and then of course he pushes the ball in to the back of the net. He needs to find some sort of consistency and concentration because knowing he can drop a clanger at any moment can’t be good for the defence.

Overall he was good yesterday apart from those two things.

Malons

No keeper playing for a side that attracts as many opposition attacks as we do, will end up with a number in the goals against column that reflects their actual ability.

van Nistelrooy

Played really well up until the howler which almost let City back in the game. Made a couple of excellent saves earlier in the game. I've been critical of him through the season at failing to save anything straight at him and I think it's difficult to defend this. There was one save he made late in the game where he pushed it back out into the penalty area, when it would have been more natural to push it wide. Any shots at our goal makes me worried.

We need improvements all over the pitch, so we can't replace Onana this summer. I think in a team which becomes more settled, we should concede far fewer attempts at goal and he may be able to play his natural game with his feet. Let's see how season two goes with a view of bringing in competition or a replacement in the next two seasons.

Sylar

I guess that game summed up his whole season.

Hopefully he kicks on next season. Id like to think we look to try become a team trying to keep the ball which means we see more of him on the ball as opposed to trying to save shots

klayton88

He saved that Walker one with his wrist because he went past the ball again and it very nearly went in. On first watch it looked a great save but he very nearly fumbled that one in too.

saivet

I think he'll do for now but expect him to be replaced in 2-3 years. His shot stopping is decent but not excellent and he's too prone to making errors that I don't think it balances out.

ShinjiNinja26

I think we’ll see him make far less mistakes next season if he doesn’t have to face 20+ shots every game. The defence and team setup needs fixing though, it was fundamentally flawed this season.

Mike Smalling

He saved that Walker one with his wrist because he went past the ball again and it very nearly went in. On first watch it looked a great save but he very nearly fumbled that one in too.
I can’t think of another goalkeeper where it seems so random where the ball goes when he makes a save like that. On the Walker shot it almost went straight up.

Unfortunately he has very questionable technique, and I think we will continue to see errors leading to goals. It just looks like a fundamental problem to me.

Stadjer

Difficult to save such a powerfull shot coming through players who are blocking his view. He did well to just get a hand on the ball in the first place. David de Gea let in a much weaker shot from outside the box in last seasons FA Cup final.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I can’t think of another goalkeeper where it seems so random where the ball goes when he makes a save like that. On the Walker shot it almost went straight up.

Unfortunately he has very questionable technique, and I think we will continue to see errors leading to goals. It just looks like a fundamental problem to me.
Hopefully he improves next year just as De Gea did after his first season where people were questioning why we bought him. Having Martinez back will be critical, otherwise we will continue leaking goals.

Mike Smalling

Hopefully he improves next year just as De Gea did after his first season where people were questioning why we bought him. Having Martinez back will be critical, otherwise we will continue leaking goals.
I’m doubtful. We got De Gea as a 20 year old, whereas Onana was 27 - he’s already the finished product. And De Geas errors during his first season seemed more mental than technical. Except for the aerial stuff, DDG improved a lot during the first season too - we didn’t have to wait for the second season.

But in any case it would help if we limit the number of shots he face, of course. He’s way too exposed.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I’m doubtful. We got De Gea as a 20 year old, whereas Onana was 27 - he’s already the finished product. And De Geas errors during his first season seemed more mental than technical. Except for the aerial stuff, DDG improved a lot during the first season too - we didn’t have to wait for the second season.

But in any case it would help if we limit the number of shots he face, of course. He’s way too exposed.
Agreed. I didn't mean to suggest Onana will improve in a developmental sense, just that he may be more settled in next year with the benefit of a fit Martinez patrolling the box, which will make a massive difference for any keeper imo.

Litch

I think not many keepers have been geeat this season, been some horrendous mistakes. I think with the whole sweeper Keeper tag, the standard of goalkeepering has dropped....

Litch

Not sure about the finished product. I think thats when you in your 30's after playing at a high level for a number of years....he could play for another 10 years.

GlazersHater

The goal is 100% his fault and should had never gone in, he made another stop from Walker's second shot which he stopped but gave the rebound straight forward, luckily for us it didn't land on a city's player. Also a cross that I think he should had easily kept but for some reason he decided to punch it and it landed in the box it seemed strange.

Besides that he had a great game, very good save for Walker's first shot and commanded the area really good in aerial duels.

Problem is that mistakes affect the team morale, we saw his blunders cost us in the UCL group stages and a 2-0 game that was controlled could have been turned around and the final lost because of his error. He must improve on that or we'll need a new keeper.

Reactions: Dargonk

Nas-JR

He simply has to cut those major mistakes out. I don't mind the occasional minor error where he's a bit slow to react because he more than makes up for it with his ability feet, strong character, and how he's largely untroubled by crosses. I also think overall he is a really good shot stopper but has the occasional howler in him, a bit like de gea the last couple of years.

I got to say though if he does, he's going to world class. His composure with the ball at his feet is unreal. I attribute our first half performance largely to his and martinez's ability to receive the ball and find the right pass along with dalot and mainoo's press resistance with their back to goal. Put simply, city's pressure was no where near as relentless as it usually is because he was an outlet and as soon as they press him he finds one of martinez, dalot or mainoo.

I think he's grown into the role and will come good next year!

Reactions: Dargonk

CasaStreets

OK season. Not great, not awful.

Not a priority to replace

Has cost us a few goals but not enough for us to waste time/funds on replacing

Won’t be our best player, but also nowhere close to our worst

SSSSnake

Bit frustrating seeing him play so well and to let that goal in. I just don’t understand it? He can make a worldy save with super fast reflects but then can’t get down to save a slow shot. It’s not like his view was obstructed. Either way a 6.5/10 performance for me. Commanded his area well and played out of the back like we expected with some excellent saves.

poleglass red

He reminds me of Pickford. Capable of great saves but has a clanger in him. All great keepers make mistakes occasionally, he makes them too often.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's a shame we don't use his strengths at all as a keeper good with their feet. I think teams are adjusting to this in terms of how they press, so when you face a side with a keeper that can ping passes, you drop off the keeper and mark the spaces in midfield, but we rarely force other teams to account for Onana's capabilities.

Also, we concede too many shots in general, so there are many more opportunities for Onana to look stupid. If we can cut down on our porous defense, that will relieve some of the pressure on him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Needs to cut out the mistakes but he's generally had a good season. He reminds me a bit of Lloris, good goalkeeper but has a mistake in him and you never really trust him (based off this season)

Pickle85

Needs to cut out the mistakes but he's generally had a good season. He reminds me a bit of Lloris, good goalkeeper but has a mistake in him and you never really trust him (based off this season)
Had a good season?! Eh?! It's absolutely been one to forget. You can quote as many stats as you like but it won't change how vulnerable he's looked and how many mistakes he's made. Hope he comes good but it's a complete nonsense to say he's had a good season.

Cassidy

Had a good season?! Eh?! It's absolutely been one to forget. You can quote as many stats as you like but it won't change how vulnerable he's looked and how many mistakes he's made. Hope he comes good but it's a complete nonsense to say he's had a good season.
Opinions. I already mentioned the mistakes the thing is mistakes as a goal keeper get highlighted way more than good performances. He put in plenty of good performances. What he needs to do it cut out the mistakes (time will tell if he can)

He overall performed well in the league and was a disaster in the UCL

Pickle85

Opinions. I already mentioned the mistakes the thing is mistakes as a goal keeper get highlighted way more than good performances. He put in plenty of good performances. What he needs to do it cut out the mistakes (time will tell if he can)

He overall performed well in the league and was a disaster in the UCL
Ask non united fans and see what they say. Hell, ask most united fans and see what they say. Good is an enormous stretch.

flameinthesun

I wouldn't classify single handedly being the reason we got knocked out of the group stages of the Champs League as a good season. For the price bought, his status in the game and for what we thought we were getting he has had a poor season.

Cassidy

Ask non united fans and see what they say. Hell, ask most united fans and see what they say. Good is an enormous stretch.
I speak to enough non united fans. I know what the sentiment is.

Jund

He's 28. He should be on top of his game. And he clearly isn't. As much as I want him to come good, he's just so...shaky. You know that there's a mistake there waiting to happen.

OmarUnited4ever

Too many mistakes for my liking in terms of shot stopping but his value as a ball playing GK prevents opponents from pressing us too hard.

lex talionis

Too many mistakes for my liking in terms of shot stopping but his value as a ball playing GK prevents opponents from pressing us too hard.
I’m not so sure Onana’s brilliance with the ball at his feet prevents or enables anything of consequence. We are notoriously poor with the ball in the final third and leave gaping holes in midfield, so much better to hit us on the counter than to try to dispossess us in our third. And sitting a bit back forced Onana to spray long balls, which opponents picked off fairly easily, using far less energy throughout the game than a high press.

OmarUnited4ever

I’m not so sure Onana’s brilliance with the ball at his feet prevents or enables anything of consequence. We are notoriously poor with the ball in the final third and leave gaping holes in midfield, so much better to hit us on the counter than to try to dispossess us in our third. And sitting a bit back forced Onana to spray long balls, which opponents picked off fairly easily, using far less energy throughout the game than a high press.
I would agree with fact that teams not rushing to press us to block Onana's passing didn't make a difference in the team's attacking or defending.

But what you mentioned in the bolded bit is true, at least with the eye test, it was obvious opponents were not rushing to press Onana, they used to launch themselves onto DDG because he was terrible on ball distribution, but with Onana, most teams will wait for him to either pass short or go long, eventually he would go long as the team is still not adept in moving the ball through a press.

The hope is the team makes use of Onana's ability on the ball, he is not a playmaker, his primary job is goalkeeping, which admittedly he needs to vastly improve his shot stopping, but no matter how good on the ball he is, if the team is not utilising it, it (Onana's passing) renders it meaningless

lex talionis

I would agree with fact that teams not rushing to press us to block Onana's passing didn't make a difference in the team's attacking or defending.

But what you mentioned in the bolded bit is true, at least with the eye test, it was obvious opponents were not rushing to press Onana, they used to launch themselves onto DDG because he was terrible on ball distribution, but with Onana, most teams will wait for him to either pass short or go long, eventually he would go long as the team is still not adept in moving the ball through a press.

The hope is the team makes use of Onana's ability on the ball, he is not a playmaker, his primary job is goalkeeping, which admittedly he needs to vastly improve his shot stopping, but no matter how good on the ball he is, if the team is not utilising it, it (Onana's passing) renders it meaningless
My recollection may be hazy, but I recall Arsenal at the Emirates rushing Onana without positive effect in the first half and then they sat back in the second half. What separates Onana from most other top keepers isn't his actual passing accuracy but his first touch, which is outstanding. You can send him a difficult ball to handle and with his first touch he puts the ball in a fantastic position for the pass, but the pass itself is nothing all that special. Arsenal figured this out pretty quickly and set the template for other teams to follow.

If Onana could just become a reasonably competent shot-stopper -- no one stops everything their supposed to stop -- we'd be set for 3-4 years at the keeper position, but in reality the jury is still out on him going into next season.

Nas-JR

If you really believe that the you did not watch the fa cup final. That first half was a masterclass from onana on how to avoid the press. The problem all season is he seldom had a back 4 with more than one player (usually dalot) who can receive the ball to feet and resist the press themselves!). When there were multiple options (namely Martinez) the short pass was utilised much mroe effectively. See arsenal earlier in the year as well.

We just need the right profiles around him and he'll be fine!

lex talionis

If you really believe that the you did not watch the fa cup final. That first half was a masterclass from onana on how to avoid the press. The problem all season is he seldom had a back 4 with more than one player (usually dalot) who can receive the ball to feet and resist the press themselves!). When there were multiple options (namely Martinez) the short pass was utilised much mroe effectively. See arsenal earlier in the year as well.

We just need the right profiles around him and he'll be fine!
Incredible. In no way did we control possession from back to front, meticulously tearing City apart with quick, short passing.