g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Andre Onana image 24

Andre Onana Cameroon flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Abraxas

Terrible for the goal. So weak there, the sort of one that slipped past DDG now and then and was extremely annoying. Not to harken back to DDG too much because that's also irritating, we need to move on, but that really reminded me of his worse moments.

He did make a few decent stops at the end so at least that's something.

There's no way he played like this all the time for Inter so I think we just have to hope he gets over this terrible start and finds a baseline level of decent performances.

PoTMS

He's the worst keeper we've had in my lifetime. He would've let another one in but for Dalot. I'm not gonna clap for him making routine saves. He makes Taibi look good.

Dannn411

He's clearly not this bad or he would not have been signed. He was superb for Inter and Ajax. Its a confidence issue due to the toxic circumstances around the club and the poor form of the team as a whole and the manager is doing him no favours keeping him in the firing line every single game. You have to give him some time on the bench to at least let him recalibrate. Play Bayindir or Heaton.

Bobski

Confidence aside, I think there are physical limitations to his game.
He is chunky and not particularly agile, seems to struggle to get down to low shots, most of his best moments this season are from high shots.

MattofManchester

Looked more confident in the second, but that doesn't excuse the torrid first half he had.

Hoepfully the win gives everyone including him some much needed inspiration.

Ole'sgunnarwin

He's clearly not this bad or he would not have been signed. He was superb for Inter and Ajax. Its a confidence issue due to the toxic circumstances around the club and the poor form of the team as a whole and the manager is doing him no favours keeping him in the firing line every single game. You have to give him some time on the bench to at least let him recalibrate. Play Bayindir or Heaton.
He's clearly not that bad or he would not have signed. You could say that about 50 players in the last 10 years. Sancho, Maguire, Antony, Weghorst, Rojo, Telles, Mount, Van der Beek, need I go on?

KeanoMagicHat

He had 5 clean sheets in a Champions League knockout stage last season, which you can't get without saving the ball. Inter hardly dominated the ball either. Just because he's bad now doesn't mean he's always been like this. Confidence is rock bottom.

Mercurial

6 mins away from losing patience with him. Saved by the bell
This was him at Inter too. Saved by big offensive
He had 5 clean sheets in a Champions League knockout stage last season, which you can't get without saving the ball. Inter hardly dominated the ball either. Just because he's bad now doesn't mean he's always been like this. Confidence is rock bottom.
Benfica Porto AC Milan, people need to reevaluate the quality faced.

Seveneric

This is such a lazy, catch-all for player failings atm. Perhaps his wife is a staunch feminist and the club’s stance over Antony and Greenwood has affected her, which has made his home life sad :(

Abraxas

Those teams are just as good if not better than many the teams we are playing and losing against. They're very good football teams and clubs.

Besides it doesn't really matter if you're playing Benfica or Brentford, you should save shots like today. It's nothing to do with the quality faced, the shot is a shot that should be saved. It's probably largely to do with confidence and being in poor form at the start of a career for a club where the expectation and focus can increase the demands.

I don't think he's always been playing like he has at the start of his United career throughout his club career. That wouldn't make any sense, you would not have even reached the level of his previous clubs by giving away goals like this. All the time. It's the frequency, all keepers make errors but you wouldn't be at this level by gifting away goals most matches.

Apokalips

Yep, true. Can't expect him to do the same when coming up against juggernauts like Palace, Brentford and Galatasaray. Lunacy!

marktan

Why did we pay so much? Keepers like Raya and Sanchez went for way less

sammyhol

His shot stopping and reflexes are actually decent.

But only when the ball is fired at pace in the air.

he is really poor when the ball comes at him along the floor, particularly when it’s close to his body.

he has terrible technique at getting low to the ball, and always goes with his hands when his feet will do the job.

we are going to miss those supposedly unorthodox foot saves from de Gea big time.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He's always had errors in him. Don't rely on us signing him as any sort of barometer, especially with Ten Hag signing his mates.

LARulz

I don't give a feck if he can pass the ball (even that I'm not confident on), I don't want to feel nervous anytime there is a shot on our goal

KeanoMagicHat

So that means he can't save shots against Brentford and Crystal Palace? A shot is a shot and he wasn't making mistakes like that.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Onana looks mostly off it. Isn't even really playing sweeper keeper. Too often rooted to his line, not getting himself in the way of things. Once we got desperate we saw more of the keeper I thought we signed. But he's gotta get over himself and start playing his natural game.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's lucky Maguire didn't give him a bollocking.

Man needs to sort his wrists out. He's probably never had a wank in his life.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
English football is different, as a gk you are under the limelight immediately.

I wont write him off.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Story of his season: let in a savable goal early before eventually remembering that he is a goalkeeper and pulling off saves once the damage has been done.

gaffs

His shot stopping and reflexes are actually decent.

But only when the ball is fired at pace in the air.

he is really poor when the ball comes at him along the floor, particularly when it’s close to his body.

he has terrible technique at getting low to the ball, and always goes with his hands when his feet will do the job.

we are going to miss those supposedly unorthodox foot saves from de Gea big time.
The two saves he made were bread and butter - lets not go over the top. There is no keeper in this league that lets those in.

And the one he let in, awful.

kkengvib

I've gone from being nervous everytime the ball is passed back to our keeper last season to now being nervous everytime a shot is fired at our goal... :lol:

Sylar

Onana looks mostly off it. Isn't even really playing sweeper keeper. Too often rooted to his line, not getting himself in the way of things. Once we got desperate we saw more of the keeper I thought we signed. But he's gotta get over himself and start playing his natural game.
It's bizarre right? He's been shocking at saving some of the shots recently

But the play where he's deeper and not getting involved is annoying. I get we have different defenders and possibly a slower back line but I'd say that's a good reason to have him higher to plug that gap

Tap

We would have been better off with DDG still in goal

evil_geko

He will come good in time, the over the top hate for him here is shocking. Patience of a toddler lots of you have.

Mercurial

So that means he can't save shots against Brentford and Crystal Palace? A shot is a shot and he wasn't making mistakes like that.
He made mistakes, but for one fewer due to less shots faced, and masked due to offensive got them a win. We give more shots away and have less defensive. It adds up.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
A dead cat would have saved the first goal.

Made some nice long passes and 2 reasonable saves in the second half. A little bit of redemption for him, lucky lucky man that Scotty got those two late goals.
Peter Bonetti agrees

CloneMC16

He is chunky and not particularly agile, seems to struggle to get down to low shots, most of his best moments this season are from high shots.
He definitely has an issue saving low shots. He's really slow going to ground. A big chunk of the goals conceded are ground level.