View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

El Jefe

I can’t think of a keeper that is slower to get down and makes saves than Onana.

He’s not the first goalie to make a mistake but usually I feel like It’s because of mistiming and lack of concentration. Onana just looks hopeless at making low saves.

I think we concede a second if Dalot doesn’t clear it off the line and that was an extremely slow deflection towards the goal.

unitedrulez84

Look this guy had some howlers but any other keeper and the analysis for today's goal would've been "He saw it a bit late there with 2 players blocking his view" or "a bit unlucky there as the ball clipped Lindelof along the way", which it actually did on slow mo replay.. (can't post links yet, but check the highlights on Youtube by Stadium Astro on 1:53).

Not sure if its enough to affect Onana? I'll let the experts in here answer it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The good thing (or maybe just something to hold onto) is that the defence in front of him is nowhere near United's first choice.

A match fit Shaw, Martinez, Varane and AWB should help him...how much it helps is another discussion.
A better defence helps a lot. But if we have to rely on not letting anyone get shots in, rather than our high value keeper having to save some, it's not promising at all.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Goes down in instalments. Shite 'keeper.

ti vu

That Suzuki fella that turned us down is apparently doing well in Belgium. Would have been good to bring over considering the poor reports on our second choice.

Onana ain't it, he's a calamity and already needs replacing.
The issue is that when we bought a big money famous GK, still in his mid 20; younger ambitious GK wouldn't fancy joining us. It can be bench time for years or being sent out on loan. It's better for them to just join club that can guarantee game time upfront than wait and hope in the former situation. Develop well and that GK can have his pick of club to start when he's in his mid 20 with about a decade more at top level.

Paying 50mil for Onana while not exactly analysis his weaknesses may prove to troublesome long term if he doesn't improve to a decent level.

PoTMS

Why do all our big money signings have such glaring weaknesses?

Sylar

100 per cent.

At the moment, when I look at Onana, the United shirt just looks heavy on his shoulders. From the time he got lobbed in pre-season he seems to have steadily retreated into his shell. At the moment, instead of the modern sweeper keeper we thought we were getting, we've got a 1990s style keeper who's not even that good at shot stopping.
Hes basically Kevin pilkington.
What's annoying is that he hasn't had a steady defence in front of him. And we don't have a style to exploit the one thing he's been at.

Can just imagine Stoke hiring Ederson

Andersons Dietician

Mentioned this a few weeks back but he dives weirdly. That goal again for some reason he pulls up his feet so it’s like he has no push. Don’t want to rag on him but how was he so hyped by many when he can’t even do the basics of goalkeeping right.

Like was said as well his passing ability is nullified by the fact we have very poor movement and now it’s pretty much just punts forward. At the moment I’d give anything to get Dave back.

lex talionis

It would be a lot of fun to pile on and remind some posters here that it was a colossal mistake to spend a third of our transfer budget on keeper whom we didn't need. Even for those who were on the "get rid of De Gea" hype train can see that now. And even if getting rid of the golden glove award man was a moral imperative, we could have gone with Henderson or even Heaton, both whom are more solid as shot stoppers than Onana.

But here we are and we have to want Onana to succeed. It would be good man management for ETH to sit Onana down for a few matches and then bring him back. It's been done many times before.

Oranges038

Look this guy had some howlers but any other keeper and the analysis for today's goal would've been "He saw it a bit late there with 2 players blocking his view" or "a bit unlucky there as the ball clipped Lindelof along the way", which it actually did on slow mo replay.. (can't post links yet, but check the highlights on Youtube by Stadium Astro on 1:53).

Not sure if its enough to affect Onana? I'll let the experts in here answer it.
He should be saving it. It wasn't overly powerful, he could have just dropped on it or stuck a boot out, but instead he did that weird dive where he threw his legs out and tried to jump down to the ball and palm it away.

lex talionis

He should be saving it. It wasn't overly powerful, he could have just dropped on it or stuck a boot out, but instead he did that weird dive where he threw his legs out and tried to jump down to the ball and palm it away.
Aye, Onana does have this weird Superman dive technique. He needs to be more direct when dives for the ball. And he tends to launch his dive after the ball has already beaten him.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
was in my fantasy team in GW1, after the Wolves game swiftly removed. Guys a liability and not very good at shot stopping or anything keeper related, one of the worst keepers we have ever had.

Kostov

Did someone mention already that DDG is still without club and therefor automatically we were right to replace him for 55m with a "technical modern GK" who can't save a shot to save his life?

Kingdingaling

Hopefully someone steps up whilst he’s away and he gets relegated to the bench - never seen a goalkeeper as bad with their hands!

Malone_Post

Did he spend the summer celebrating his move to United by eating takeaways every night? Just looks way too heavy for a keeper. Barely looks like he can jump at times. I like the guy, and I want him to do well, but he looks bad. Like really really bad.

ErikElevenHag

Did someone mention already that DDG is still without club and therefor automatically we were right to replace him for 55m with a "technical modern GK" who can't save a shot to save his life?
Both things can be right at the same time.

Moving on from DDG was probably the correct thing to do. Signing Onana is looking like its going to have been the incorrect thing to do.

Hes still got time to improve. Definitely needs some time out of the team though.

Kostov

Moving on from DDG was probably the correct thing to do. Signing Onana is looking like its going to have been the incorrect thing to do.

Hes still got time to improve. Definitely needs some time out of the team though.
Well at this level of football is unforgivable. And one shouldn't have been done without the other. We shouldn't have moved on from DDG to dowgrade, and we paid the price. We could have just kept DDG and Kovar and invested the 55m we spent on Onana into buying a CB. But looking at our other signings, we probably would have fecked that CB signing just as well.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Well at this level of football is unforgivable. And one shouldn't have been done without the other. We shouldn't have moved on from DDG to dowgrade, and we paid the price. We could have just kept DDG and Kovar and invested the 55m we spent on Onana into buying a CB. But looking at our other signings, we probably would have fecked that CB signing just as well.
One thing I can tell you. We didn't spend 50m with the purpose of downgrading. Onana was one of the best keepers last season.

Its easy to say stuff because hindsight is nice.

redIndianDevil

Or maybe, just maybe. judge him on his entire career, rather than the bad patch (really bad patch) he’s never ever been this bad, and will likely never ever be this bad again once he comes out of it. I’ve watched a lot of him last year and the Onana of last year is 1000x the keeper we’re seeing right now. As was the Onana of Ajax. With the type of character he is I expect him to come out the other side and have a good career here.
Let’s wait and see. I’m so used to seeing De Gea saving so many difficult chances even when De Gea was out of form or made mistakes, there was always belief that De Gea can pull out an out of the world save. I don’t get that confidence at all from Onana, early days may be.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
See so many digging out mistakes from DDG to justify Onana mistake. Thing is DDG made those over 10-12 season and with few season full of out of this world performances. Onana has made multiple errors in his first 10-12 games. Find it funny when people comb through videos just to defend the indefensible.

Onana movement is an issue. Either it is fitness issue or something else but his GK reflexes look awkward.

Oranges038

Aye, Onana does have this weird Superman dive technique. He needs to be more direct when dives for the ball. And he tends to launch his dive after the ball has already beaten him.
I've watched this replay over and over. Just so I can try and understand what he's done wrong. Every keeper will have done this at some point or another.

I think it's because he's moving almost flat footed, he almost has his feet planted as the shot is taken, it's almost impossible to make an effective dive when your heels are on the ground. But, he's also shifting his weight left and pushes off his left whilst diving to the right. So he ends up just throwing his legs out rather than using them to push for the dive. If you watch the replay from the behind angle you'll see what I mean.

If it looks like he's diving after the shot is taken, to me it actually looks like his stance is off, pushing off the wrong leg when diving or he's not shifting his weight quick enough because he's being quite flat footed and taking larger strides when moving. Which is quite the opposite of DDG because he was always making short quick bounces on his toes when moving around the goal.

I might be wrong, but that's just how it looks to me.

Bwuk

We’d be as well as signing De Gea on a free at this rate.

lex talionis

But it actually wasn't and no mythology will ever make it so.

Despite the undeniable mistakes De Gea made last season, our defensive record last season was outstanding. It was our attacking record last season that was horrendous. In an epic thread over the summer the argument was made that getting rid of De Gea and replacing with him with Onana would improve our attacking record. But that argument is as daft as arguing that bringing in a top CF would improve our defensive record.

Keepers exist primarily to keep clean sheets, or to put it more generously, keep the opponent's goal tally as low as possible. We can all point to the Benrahma goal or the Brentford goal early in the reason as De Gea mistakes in the PL -- don't worry, we'll get to the EL in a moment -- but over the totality of the PL season our defensive record was fantastic, even acknowledging the pasting we took at Anfield. De Gea was an important part of that.

As for the EL, every single one of us is aware of De Gea's calamitous mistakes at Sevilla. But few seem to remember the mistakes our defenders made in the first leg that threw away the tie as every one of us knew that once we botched it v Sevilla at home that our goose was cooked at Sevilla, which began with a ball from De Gea that Maguire should have been able to easily manage but didn't, after which it all fell apart. But the more important point is that we didn't need the EL and many of us dismiss the EL as a joke competition. By then we already had CL qualification in hand -- not because our attack was so fantastic, but because our defense was so fantastic. De Gea, despite his mistakes a Brentford and West Ham, played a critical role in United qualifying for the CL. But what did we do? We got rid of him and brought in a keeper who has already made more mistakes in 8 games than De Gea had all season.

Genius isn't exactly the first word that comes to mind when describing United management.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We were right to replace DDG, it's just that we've replaced him with the wrong bloke.

Ted Lasso

It would be a lot of fun to pile on and remind some posters here that it was a colossal mistake to spend a third of our transfer budget on keeper whom we didn't need. Even for those who were on the "get rid of De Gea" hype train can see that now. And even if getting rid of the golden glove award man was a moral imperative, we could have gone with Henderson or even Heaton, both whom are more solid as shot stoppers than Onana.

But here we are and we have to want Onana to succeed. It would be good man management for ETH to sit Onana down for a few matches and then bring him back. It's been done many times before.
These two pretty much capture the state of affairs quite well.

I just don't see enough promise yet to think Onana turns a corner.

Matt851

We were right to get rid of de gea but unfortunately at the moment it seems we were wrong to sign onana. I preferred raya as a cheaper option personally

James35

Hope he is gone next summer. He is just not very good and this club is too much for him. Plenty of keepers have failed here before.

I hope this Bayindir gets a chance or even bloody Heaton. I honestly believe he should have saved 50% of the goals he has conceded this season if you look back at the goals.

Another poor buy.

NZT-One

But it actually wasn't and no mythology will ever make it so.

Despite the undeniable mistakes De Gea made last season, our defensive record last season was outstanding.
Our defensive record was a result of multiple things. Certainly not just DDG. And what such a record is actually worth is visible this season. Nothing.

It absolutely was the right thing to end the DDG chapter. The man is the antithesis of a modern keeper, so many doors were closed because of his specific weaknesses. There were of course times in his carreer, where his strenghs could balance those weaknesses out. Even by a mile. But those times were long gone. His contract was up, the actual manner was pretty iffy in my eyes but based on the actual results, it was the right thing to do.

Bringing in Onana is where there are debates possible. Of course they are. But he was an overall good keeper for a couple of seasons. And last year he had a standout season for Inter, was specifically mentioned by Pep and got the reputation of the best keeper in terms of ball playing. Spending much is always a thing but on the other hand, another keeper wouldn't have been for free as well. Raya was talked about for 40. Diogo Costa was talked about for 70. And doing an "inbetween year" with Hendo or Heaton - for what? Hendo was gone for something that happened in the background, it was pretty obvious that he will leave. So what do you want to wait for? It would have been a year wasted to achieve what? Not like any other great goalkeeper would have been a free hit or anything.

Just give Onana time. The whole club isn't a good environment right now. The defense in front of him is changing all the time and even when the good players are on the pitch, they have their bullshit moments. I agree with you, we have to find a way, to really make use of what is considered his strength to at least balance out what he may have missing on the shotstopping side. But even there afaik he was one of the better keepers in Europe, so let him find his feet. He deserves criticism for mistakes of course but questioning the whole move is pointless. Probably even Neuer would look "past it" for us.

tomaldinho1

Hope he is gone next summer. He is just not very good and this club is too much for him. Plenty of keepers have failed here before.

I hope this Bayindir gets a chance or even bloody Heaton. I honestly believe he should have saved 50% of the goals he has conceded this season if you look back at the goals.

Another poor buy.
Conversely I think he’ll have cemented himself and people will have chilled out a bit. Stick to the plan, try to get this team to play out form the back and sort the midfield.

saik

Can people stop bringing De Gea in everytime? You can blame Onana without having the need to bring De Gea into discussion. De Gea absolutely needed upgrading as apart from his reflex saves he wasn't offering much at all. We thought Onana offering an upgrade in those other departments of GK would negate the fact that he's not as good as De Gea at reflexes. But at the moment, he is not even doing the basics either and looks like him getting lobbed in preseason has made him shit scared to come out for sweeping.

As I stated earlier, todays shot was absolutely something he should be saving but I'll wait until he has a settled and first choice defence in front of him before completely writing him off. Yes, the early signs are worrying though.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Did he spend the summer celebrating his move to United by eating takeaways every night? Just looks way too heavy for a keeper. Barely looks like he can jump at times. I like the guy, and I want him to do well, but he looks bad. Like really really bad.
Mike maignan isn't exactly slim either and he's probably the best goalie in the world at the moment

The Hilton

Needs to work on getting down quicker, he seems to dive up to come down which causes the ball to slip underneath him - happened today, similar against Bayern, the winner for Arsenal (that one isn't really his fault, but he still could have saved it if he was down lower and behind it).

I think the immediate writing off of him on here is way over the top and reactionary, but he's clearly not on form at the moment, the pressure of the position seems to be weighing on him and we could do with working on his shot stopping technique too.

As an aside, just because he's had a poor start doesn't mean that keeping DDG was the right thing to do - he was on a gargantuan contract, far more than his worth based on his contribution. Whether Onana was the right person to replace him remains to be seen.

sglowrider

Absolute clown of a keeper. One of the worst I’ve ever seen play for us so far.

Wasted a third of our budget on him this summer when we had better goalkeepers on our books.

i think we are close to potential exhausting the ETH' A grade/option players or players who have played for him.

Doubt if he will make it to his Option B choices -- or players who played against players who played for ETH.

Option C players would be my concern and where I draw the line: Players who played against players who played against players who played for ETH.

There has to be standards at United!

sglowrider

Needs to work on getting down quicker, he seems to dive up to come down which causes the ball to slip underneath him - happened today, similar against Bayern, the winner for Arsenal (that one isn't really his fault, but he still could have saved it if he was down lower and behind it).

I think the immediate writing off of him on here is way over the top and reactionary, but he's clearly not on form at the moment, the pressure of the position seems to be weighing on him and we could do with working on his shot stopping technique too.

As an aside, just because he's had a poor start doesn't mean that keeping DDG was the right thing to do - he was on a gargantuan contract, far more than his worth based on his contribution. Whether Onana was the right person to replace him remains to be seen.
He seems to defy gravity -- and actually fall far slower than gravity would take you.

Bwuk

We’d be having a much better season if we had Heaton in goals than him.

For all the nonsense that gets posted about Maguire, McTominay etc, Onana has been a hell of a lot worse.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
His head clearly isn't right at this point. He made a far more difficult save low down than that against Liverpool in the CL a couple of years back (his screw up in that game of coming and failing to get a cross is what I assumed we'd be worrying about with him). Hard to tell if he can get through it or if he's just done tbh.

Hughes35

Mentioned this a few weeks back but he dives weirdly. That goal again for some reason he pulls up his feet so it’s like he has no push. Don’t want to rag on him but how was he so hyped by many when he can’t even do the basics of goalkeeping right.

Like was said as well his passing ability is nullified by the fact we have very poor movement and now it’s pretty much just punts forward. At the moment I’d give anything to get Dave back.
Yep, I said it a few weeks ago too and I got some criticism. He's technique for diving is all over the place. Looks so awkward.

Great with his feet but think he will ultimately end up being replaced in a couple of years (hope I'm wrong and he comes good).