View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I can forgive him some howlers, that is something that can happen to the best.

He just seems not that great as a goalkeeper overall, he does not fill me with confidence. His positioning, movement etc. seems a bit off.

What’s weird is that I don’t really see that great passing out from the back / through the press.

Early days and it is not his fault that we overall play atrocious but kicking out a good enough GK and spending a good part of the budget in our current situation seems odd.

Micky Targaryen

I'm at the point where I couldn't give two shits if the keeper passes the ball like Pirlo. Give me a traditional keeper any day, one that actually stops the ball from going into our net.

Lyng

Not good enough. Several of those goals De Gea saves, and he was so bad we needed an upgrade. Onana is NOT an upgrade its clear by now.
We should have gone for Raya instead. United is clearly to big a step for Onana.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
The way he moves across the line is the same as if you put an outfield player as the goalkeeper. Even basics like shifting your weight before moving and being the right place look like a tough ask right now.

Is this lack of confidence or him at his best?

stw2022

This will always be a risk. I'm not overly bothered, I think we gain more from how he helps us play out from the back

Dan_F

I will go against the grain here and say that while he had a terrible game in the UCL once again, we need to give him time and I believe he will be a good goalkeeper for us. A ball playing goalkeeper and playing out from the back comes with risks like these. I remember Alisson and Ederson making similar if not worse howlers too when they first joined their clubs (though he is nowhere near their level at the moment). The hope is that it happens so infrequently that the advantages of playing out from the back outweigh the negatives.

I love De Gea but even so, he was making these kinds of suicidal passes with more regularity last season and was very poor in possession. The difference is that he got bailed out by our defence last season. I do believe though that De Gea remains a better shot stopper than Onana, which is probably something he will need to improve. It might be worth dropping Onana for a game or two to take him out of the firing line, but I don't think ETH will do that.
It’s not just the howlers. It’s that he’s adding nothing of note at all. You can live with the odd howler if he’s not letting in two more goals in every single game, but he seems lost in goal.

It’s pointless thinking about De Gea, he had to go. But we’ve messed up in signing his replacement and won’t have the money to replace him.

Dan_F

This will always be a risk. I'm not overly bothered, I think we gain more from how he helps us play out from the back
When? Apart from a couple of times in the first 10 games, he moves the ball to the full back and kicks long. His long kicks are more accurate but I’m not sure we’ve scored a goal from any of them.

Pickle85

This runs counter to everything we've seen so far at United so not sure where you're getting this from, beyond his performance in a weaker league under less pressure.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not good enough. Several of those goals De Gea saves, and he was so bad we needed an upgrade. Onana is NOT an upgrade its clear by now.
We should have gone for Raya instead. United is clearly to big a step for Onana.
Raya or Sanchez - both proven Prem keepers - but ETH goes for the player he's had before, yet again.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
He genuinely looks like an outfield player that’s had to go in goal after the keeper got sent off. Horrendous.

Darlington Padgett

We can't even play from the back without Martinez. He was kicking it long and failing every attempt last night. United should've gone for Yan Sommer and invested the money wasted on Onana elsewhere.

Jund

When? Apart from a couple of times in the first 10 games, he moves the ball to the full back and kicks long. His long kicks are more accurate but I’m not sure we’ve scored a goal from any of them.
I wouldn't say his long kicks are "more accurate", mostly on par with DDG. Which is not a good sign at all, tbf.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The way he moves across the line is the same as if you put an outfield player as the goalkeeper. Even basics like shifting your weight before moving and being the right place look like a tough ask right now.

Is this lack of confidence or him at his best?
His positioning at Ajax was suspect and even at Inter it wasn't great.

Inters performances in the Champions League elevated his stats for sure.

We saw in pre season how he wanted to come off his line all the time, yet he got lobbed twice because of it, now he seems reluctant to make a decision to come off his line.
His positioning is poor, he doesn't commit to a decision, he goes down far to quickly and cannot seem to save simple shots.

Dan_F

I wouldn't say his long kicks are "more accurate", mostly on par with DDG. Which is not a good sign at all, tbf.
Long kicks are just about as low percentage as it gets. You can have the most accurate kick in the world, but a lot of the time you’re relying on the forward players to win a 50/50. There has definitely been more moments where he’s kicked long to Rashford and started an attack.

Dr. StrangeHate

It is sad we didn't get the Suzuki guy, but Onana really needs to improve. He was so assured in a Champions League final yet so many mistakes for us. We still need to stick with him to see if it his DDG initial period with us.

Rake

He is a deer in the headlights at the moment. For all his tough guy talk, he actually oozes restlessness and uneasiness. Onana surely has his weaknesses but he is a better keeper than what he is showing. Up to our coaching staff to determine if dropping him is the way to.

I'm utterly amazed at posters trying to vindicate De Gea by using Onana's form. None of this puts De Gea in better light. Time will tell if Onana is the right keeper for United but surely De Gea had to go.

Real Name

DDG had a poor start and Fergie moved him out of the headlights. ETH needs to do the same. I'm sure Onana is better than this but now he's in a tough spot and needs dropping to collect his head.

Who gives a...

Only time I felt confident in him was when he came up for that late set piece and was as far away from our goal as possible!

I hope he will come good, but it's a worrying start. He doesn't even seem to be playing the ball out the way he did up until the Arsenal game. Just seems to hoof it up the pitch now, where as in the first few games at least he was passing it out really well.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
He’s certainly taken us to another level. A level down unfortunately. We’re one of the worst teams in football that match his strengths and his goalkeeping fundamentals are shaky at best. He’ll be gone by end of next season.

Gordon Godot

DDG had a poor start and Fergie moved him out of the headlights. ETH needs to do the same. I'm sure Onana is better than this but now he's in a tough spot and needs dropping to collect his head.
Are you? He's never been a great keeper. These signings by ETH of his Dutch safety blanket players will be why he gets sacked. Reya was available for half the price and is premier league proven and now Arsenel no 1.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Could be our Claudio Bravo. Only problem is we won’t be allowed an ederson.

pascell

His ball playing ability is so overrated on here, it also doesn't warrant the price we paid for him.

He's an absolute liability and will cause panic in defenders as they know they can't let the opposition take a shot as he's a poor shot stopper.

He palmed a shot back into the box vs Palace and was lucky it fell to one of our defenders, he's a calamity waiting to happen.

Real Name

Are you? He's never been a great keeper. These signings by ETH of his Dutch safety blanket players will be why he gets sacked. Reya was available for half the price and is premier league proven and now Arsenel no 1.
Is premier league proven Raya's only quality? Has he been a great keeper?

Yes, I am sure.

Fluctuation0161

Based on his shot dlstipping performances for us so far and his howlers, that is incredibly naive.

I fear he will cost us alot of goals and this team don't have the confidence to fight back from being a goal down.

RedDevilQuebecois

Taibi? That's harsh. Onana has proven pedigree at least even at a smaller league
So what? Onana somehow found a way to be EVEN WORSE than all the likes of Bosnich, Taibi, Carroll, Howard and Foster among those who were tasked to hold the number 1 spot at any point. The fact that he is shit even with some "pedigree" makes the whole thing even worse.

glasgow 21

We take 50m.60m 70m 80m players and turn them into free transfers ,its what we do.
We are jinxed, cursed no other words explain this.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Now we need to change the entire defence to complement his supposed skillset :lol:

Surely someone on that training pitch shifts the entire focus to defence, being compact, defending as a unit just like Inter Milan did last season. If we're going to persist with this clown, let's at least make it difficult for teams to get shots near him.

Matt Varnish

Now we need to change the entire defence to complement his supposed skillset :lol:

Surely someone on that training pitch shifts the entire focus to defence, being compact, defending as a unit just like Inter Milan did last season. If we're going to persist with this clown, let's at least make it difficult for teams to get shots near him.
You mean keep the opposition in their own half ?
Anderson scored from 12yds for Palace