View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Zed is not dead

He cost us CL and had some blunders but lately he is doing really well. He is getting better and better.
Yes credit where it’s due.
I still think he single handedly got us out of the CL and had a mare in his first months.
But he came back very strong from the AFCON

Sylar

He cost us CL and had some blunders but lately he is doing really well. He is getting better and better.
This sums it up well. Biggest shame is that the blunders were costly and couldn't really be bailed out at the time

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He’s been great lately, looking like a very good buy after all.

redshaw

Solid game again. Not much can be done with those scruffy deflected goals.

Made some good saves, well positioned and no errors or panics, look assured and helped us keep us at 40% possession in my view. Had we had De Gea in net we would be 20-30% and be under the cosh more.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Winning me over lately.

FujiVice

Looked like the player we bought him to be. No keeper in the world could combat the luck that comes off Liverpool players boots.

lilcurt

Starting to look the part. Will never be as good a shot stopper as DDG but he is upping his game and other superior qualities.

Comes across as a top professional as well.

Dan_F

Two deflected goals is serious bad luck. Talking about passing percentage when it’s very clear Ten Hag wants him to look for the forwards is laughable. He’s completely comfortable on the ball and I really can’t remember the last time I felt uneasy when he’s had the ball at his feet. If he wanted to have 100% passing accuracy, he’d just dish the ball off to the centre back every time.

Cantonalegod

I think the MacAllister one was very much saveable. Not a 100% save, but I'd expect a top shot stopper to save that a reasonable amount of the time.

Was very composed on the ball today despite the centre backs in front of him not looking comfortable against the press, he managed to relieve some of that pressure with the right passes.
The MacAllister one was deflected, so made it much more difficult though.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
2nd half of the season is the £45m player we all know. He was fantastic today.

His claiming of high balls and his passing is superb. Big part of the reason we could go gung ho at the end was him.

You can't blame him for the 2 deflected goals and one that should have been called back for a foul.

Red Star One

I still don't feel 100% confident with him, but lately he's been doing really well. long may it continue, very solid today

Mike Smalling

He shouldn’t be parrying that Nunez shot straight into the box for Salahs goal, but that’s probably the smallest mistake in that.

He had two very good saves on his near post and generally did well with crosses and distribution.

His confidence is building, which is great.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I'm getting there with him. I'm still nervous, but I want to love him.

Strats

Was great today, which has been as of late. Really growing in my eyes.

Hope he continues like this through the end of the season and creates a good platform of confidence for himself coming into next season

I hope he puts some work into his rebound control and gets back to his best when he’s on the ball during the summer.

Oranges038

He shouldn’t be parrying that Nunez shot straight into the box for Salahs goal, but that’s probably the smallest mistake in that.

He had two very good saves on his near post and generally did well with crosses and distribution.

I think the MacAllister one was very much saveable. Not a 100% save, but I'd expect a top shot stopper to save that a reasonable amount of the time.

Was very composed on the ball today despite the centre backs in front of him not looking comfortable against the press, he managed to relieve some of that pressure with the right passes.
Another weird one. Great aerial claiming, some decent shot saving, some good passing, some poor passing and again some questionable saving technique/approach on Nunez's shot (that lead to Salah's goal) and Mac Allister's goal.
2 of the goals took fairly big deflections that most keepers would struggle to keep out.
Nunez one was a shot from 8 yards out that came around a defender, he did well just to get a strong hand to it. Sometimes a save is about as much as you can do and you don't have time to think about directing the ball away. Why Salah is left standing on his own on the 6 yard box, where's the midfield tracking runners?

Don't see anyone blaming Kelleher for letting in 3 soft goals down to his left. Or palming the McT goal up in the air. I'd imagine most Liverpool fans would have been happy with his performance today. But yet here we are, Onana had a good game, made some good saves but is still getting shit on for goals that he could do shag all about.

Oscar Bonavena

Two deflected goals is serious bad luck. Talking about passing percentage when it’s very clear Ten Hag wants him to look for the forwards is laughable. He’s completely comfortable on the ball and I really can’t remember the last time I felt uneasy when he’s had the ball at his feet. If he wanted to have 100% passing accuracy, he’d just dish the ball off to the centre back every time.
Good point. I don't want him passing to AWB or Lindelof, he's far more capable of picking out a forward player than either of those two (for example).

Mike Smalling

2 of the goals took fairly big deflections that most keepers would struggle to keep out.
Nunez one was a shot from 8 yards out that came around a defender, he did well just to get a strong hand to it. Sometimes a save is about as much as you can do and you don't have time to think about directing the ball away. Why Salah is left standing on his own on the 6 yard box, where's the midfield tracking runners?

Don't see anyone blaming Kelleher for letting in 3 soft goals down to his left. Or palming the McT goal up in the air. I'd imagine most Liverpool fans would have been happy with his performance today. But yet here we are, Onana had a good game, made some good saves but is still getting shit on for goals that he could do shag all about.
It’s not shitting on him to point out the good and the bad in a performance. The thing about parrying shots out into the box is worth mentioning, because we have seen other examples of dodgy technique like that from Onana before. It is a concern.

arnie_ni

It’s not shitting on him to point out the good and the bad in a performance. The thing about parrying shots out into the box is worth mentioning, because we have seen other examples of dodgy technique like that from Onana before. It is a concern.
A one off parry wouldn't be a big deal but he does it consistently. Has no control over his saves.

Didn't see the game just reading through the threads to see how our guys did but im piggy backing of what you said in relation to onana.

Vidooq

I've noticed a trend here than people are more lenient with judging him on the goals he concedes if we win. If we would've lost today, he would've been blamed for all 3 goals.

I have defended him when almost everyone wrote him off after that horrific CL campaign, as based on what I saw from him at Inter, I knew this was not his level. I'm so glad that he is turning most people on his side.

A note for his passing. When we get ball playing defenders, his passing rate will increase for 20-30%, as I think he has instructions not to play the ball to certain players, for example Lindelof.

Good times ahead for Onana. So happy with him.

criticalanalysis

I'm very aware there's been a lot of hyper critical comments on Onana's performances this season but it's fair to question some of his technique sometimes. I'd say it's 'harsh' to blame him for the 2 deflected shots but I'd expect/hoped he had done better. Mac Allister's was at his near post, which he was already positioned on and I would have liked to have seen a stronger hand.

With Elliot's goal, not for the first time, I think he gambled and perhaps over committed on his movement. Both these goals I'm not particularly fussed to criticise him too much but there's underlying issues with his approach that are not isolated incidents.

As for the Nunez shot, he does have a tendency to strong hand these shots. This is the one save that I think is objectively poor. It's great to have a strong wrist (where we've seen him push away point blank shots and catch power shots without dropping the ball) but because he meets them with equal strength, the save results in a parry that cancels out the momentum and ends up in very dangerous areas.

As for Kelleher, if I was a Liverpool fan, I'd definitely be disappointed with his involvement in the goals but then I'd also acknowledge he's second choice and really inexperienced. However, at the same time, just like we have with Onana, I can also praise his composure, general passing, sweeping and closing down of shots i.e he did well to stand tall and not over commit on pretty much all of Rashford's 1 vs 1s.

Last edited:

Rossa

I like him. He's a decent shot stopper, nothing more, but he has an aura that good goalies have. He's become far more proactive in his approach, claiming crosses and more willing to sweep in behind the defense. He's also cut out his brainfart mistakes, as we knew would happen as he settled into the team. He's also had to endure playing with a different defense pretty much every game, so that makes it hard for him as well. He's been one of our best performers over the last couple of months, and yesterday he had another good display.

However, I do think that it is possible to prevent all three goals yesterday. The MacAllister goal is definitely a goal that the best goalies would be annoyed with - a prime DDG, Courtois, Allisson, Neuer, Ter Stegen, etc would most likely save that, deflection or not - it's a long way out in his corner.

The rebound off of Nunes' goal is also rather poor - a goalie should deflect shots where he wants it to go - over the bar would be the best bet there, or out wide. Again, something I'm sure he's annoyed with.

I also think the third shot was possible to save - again a deflection, but he actually does get his hand to it, which shows that it's not impossible - it wasn't that far from his original position. Onana struggles with low shots; we've seen that all season. He has a strange technique where he goes up before he goes to ground - that takes more time than going low as the best shot stoppers do.

None of the goals are mistakes at all, but I do feel that the very best shot stoppers could prevent all three. Then again, Rashford missing a sitter, McTominay shooting straight at the goalie are FAR bigger mistakes than anything Onana did (the goals weren't mistakes per se).

Oranges038

I'm very aware there's been a lot of hyper critical comments on Onana's performances this season but it's fair to question some of his technique sometimes. I'd say it's 'harsh' to blame him for the 2 deflected shots but I'd expect/hoped he had done better. Mac Allister's was at his near post, which he was already positioned on and I would have liked to have seen a stronger hand.

With Elliot's goal, not for the first time, I think he gambled and perhaps over committed on his movement. Both these goals I'm not particularly fussed to criticise him too much but there's underlying issues with his approach that are not isolated incidents.

As for the Nunez shot, he does have a tendency to strong hand these shots. This is the one save that I think is objectively poor. It's great to have a strong wrist (where we've seen him push away point blank shots and catch power shots without dropping the ball) but because he meets them with equal strength, the save results in a parry that cancels out the momentum and ends up in very dangerous areas.

As for Kelleher, if I was a Liverpool fan, I'd definitely be disappointed with his involvement in the goals but then I'd also acknowledge he's second choice and really inexperienced. However, at the same time, just like we have with Onana, I can also praise his composure, general passing, sweeping and closing down of shots i.e he did well to stand tall and not over commit on pretty much all of Rashford's 1 vs 1s.
MacAllister's goal is from 14 yards and hit with good pace, takes a deflection which adds pace and takes it further away to the post. Those are incredibly difficult to stop.

Salah goal, Nunez hits a wicked shot around a defender from all off 8 yards, Onana makes a really good save, one where he's unable to control where the ball goes after, because it was enough just to get his hand to it to keep it out. Salah shouldn't be left all alone 6 yards out like that.

For Elliotts strike, he's going to where the ball is headed until the deflection takes it the other way. He's not gambling on the shot. He's had to change direction and try to get down low to his right. Not impossible to get there, but you see these goals wrong foot keepers all the time.

I think it's ridiculous that Utd fans just can't accept he had a really good game without suggesting he should have done better for the goals. Both keepers had excellent games yesterday and still there was 7 goals in the game, it happens.

Last edited:

Litch

I like him. He's a decent shot stopper, nothing more, but he has an aura that good goalies have. He's become far more proactive in his approach, claiming crosses and more willing to sweep in behind the defense. He's also cut out his brainfart mistakes, as we knew would happen as he settled into the team. He's also had to endure playing with a different defense pretty much every game, so that makes it hard for him as well. He's been one of our best performers over the last couple of months, and yesterday he had another good display.

However, I do think that it is possible to prevent all three goals yesterday. The MacAllister goal is definitely a goal that the best goalies would be annoyed with - a prime DDG, Courtois, Allisson, Neuer, Ter Stegen, etc would most likely save that, deflection or not - it's a long way out in his corner.

The rebound off of Nunes' goal is also rather poor - a goalie should deflect shots where he wants it to go - over the bar would be the best bet there, or out wide. Again, something I'm sure he's annoyed with.

I also think the third shot was possible to save - again a deflection, but he actually does get his hand to it, which shows that it's not impossible - it wasn't that far from his original position. Onana struggles with low shots; we've seen that all season. He has a strange technique where he goes up before he goes to ground - that takes more time than going low as the best shot stoppers do.

None of the goals are mistakes at all, but I do feel that the very best shot stoppers could prevent all three. Then again, Rashford missing a sitter, McTominay shooting straight at the goalie are FAR bigger mistakes than anything Onana did (the goals weren't mistakes per se).
Prime X saves those shots but Prime X makes that tackle, pass, header or scores that goal. Not everyone needs to be Prime anything, I'll take a solid 7/10, rather than be disappointed hes not one of the best goalkeepers to put on a pair of gloves in a decade.

Pickle85

Really comfortable on the ball and coming on in terms of shot stopping and command of his area. Will never be an elite shot stopper but most aren't and is looking more and more like he'll be good enough with the bonus of having excellent distribution

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils

for that, McTominay was stood doing his maths homework at the penalty spot allowing Salah to get the ball, take a second and shoot and Varane was running to the goal line instead of the ball, presumably expecting the goal to go in or not rebound behind him.

Totally preventable after Onana's save.

Rossa

Prime X saves those shots but Prime X makes that tackle, pass, header or scores that goal. Not everyone needs to be Prime anything, I'll take a solid 7/10, rather than be disappointed hes not one of the best goalkeepers to put on a pair of gloves in a decade.
Thing is, we've had some brilliant goalies in the past. Schmeichel is arguably one of the best ever; VDS was brilliant in how consistently good he was, and DDG's prime was outstanding in terms of shot stopping. Having goalies that can make those world class saves is very important, especially when we concede as many shots as we do.

How many times haven't Allisson saved Liverpool? No way would the have won the league or the CL without him in goal - take Kelleher, who is decent enough, as their number one goalie, and I am certain they would not compete like they have. The very best teams often have great goalies and great strikers as they can win you matches with either world class saves or world class goals.

Mike Smalling

for that, McTominay was stood doing his maths homework at the penalty spot allowing Salah to get the ball, take a second and shoot and Varane was running to the goal line instead of the ball, presumably expecting the goal to go in or not rebound behind him.

Totally preventable after Onana's save.
There was so many mistakes involved in that goal, yes. The build-up was overly risky, so we got squeezed into the corner of the pitch, Bruno got dispossessed too easily, and as you say McTominay is ballwatching. So I don't put much of the blame on Onana, but I still don't think it was good technique to parry it there, and I only really bring it up, because it seems to be inherent in his game.

Sylar

Really really want to see how he does when we get a settled team. It will help the GK, but as most have said, it looks like he bypasses certain players when he has the ball and it looks deliberate. Once we get a few more players who are technically good (especially with both feet) we will see his strengths. It might help us keep the ball better and reduce the number of shots he faces every game.
Yesterday, another 11 shots on target. This needs to be reduced, especially at home if we want to be challenging.

Cantonalegod

My God, I've given the guy some stick on this forum about his performances during the first half of the season, but you're on a whole different level.

Both deflections were huge, and no blame from me on Onana, and the other one from fairly close range he did well to just stop it.

Don't know if you've ever played in goal, but from your comments, I guess not. :confused:

Rossa

My God, I've given the guy some stick on this forum about his performances during the first half of the season, but you're on a whole different level.

Both deflections were huge, and no blame from me on Onana, and the other one from fairly close range he did well to just stop it.

Don't know if you've ever played in goal, but from your comments, I guess not. :confused:
Whole different level because I said I think those goals are possible to save? As I clearly stated, it's not something I even expect him to save, but the very best shot stoppers do save those. The MacAllister one is in his near corner. The other he gets his hand to, and the deflection is unlucky, but I think he too would be annoyed that he didn't clear it elsewhere.

I did actually play several years as a goalie, btw.

FujiVice

two deflections and save rebounded into an open net. Cant fault him. His best game in a United shirt. Like Maguire, so many other players would have died a death with the shit he's been thrown at him.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Thing is, we've had some brilliant goalies in the past. Schmeichel is arguably one of the best ever; VDS was brilliant in how consistently good he was, and DDG's prime was outstanding in terms of shot stopping. Having goalies that can make those world class saves is very important, especially when we concede as many shots as we do.

How many times haven't Allisson saved Liverpool? No way would the have won the league or the CL without him in goal - take Kelleher, who is decent enough, as their number one goalie, and I am certain they would not compete like they have. The very best teams often have great goalies and great strikers as they can win you matches with either world class saves or world class goals.
He’s made plenty of brilliant saves in recent months. It also can’t be said enough that his ability on the ball and recently from crosses has prevented so many more chances that De Gea would have given away. He’s been a solid upgrade and if he maintains this current trajectory for the rest of the season and next campaign, he will be considered a top keeper.

Rossa

Really really want to see how he does when we get a settled team. It will help the GK, but as most have said, it looks like he bypasses certain players when he has the ball and it looks deliberate. Once we get a few more players who are technically good (especially with both feet) we will see his strengths. It might help us keep the ball better and reduce the number of shots he faces every game.
Yesterday, another 11 shots on target. This needs to be reduced, especially at home if we want to be challenging.
Definitely. Imagine playing in midfield with two new partners every match. That's pretty much the situation Onana has had - a new constellation every game in defense, but also in midfield. He relies on the players around him for good passing lanes and options. In the brief period where both Shaw and Martinez played, we saw how Onana was able to find those passes on a regular basis, and how especially Martinez would then take the ball and regularly pass it directly to Bruno for instance.

It will also make it so much easier for him to sweep from the back and claim crosses. Claiming crosses is a team effort, not just down to the goalie. If you look at the best teams, the defense creates space for the goalie to catch the ball. If the 6 yard box is too congested, there is no way the goalie is able to claim a high ball without it being too much of a risk. You need a settled defense to be able to organise like that.

The same goes with patterns of play when playing out from the back.

I think he started terribly but has had a very positive development. With a more settled four in front of him, I think he's going to improve even further.

Rossa

He’s made plenty of brilliant saves in recent months. It also can’t be said enough that his ability on the ball and recently from crosses has prevented so many more chances that De Gea would have given away. He’s been a solid upgrade and if he maintains this current trajectory for the rest of the season and next campaign, he will be considered a top keeper.
He still struggles with the low shots - Schmeichel also commented on his technique on those, that he throws himself almost upwards instead of going down. It's actually quite basic goal keeping technique, so not sure why he's doing it. I think he's a decent shot stopper, but I don't think he's brilliant at it. Ederson isn't a brilliant shot stopper either, but he's instrumental in how City play, and Onana has many similar qualities.