André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

Why couldn't Utd have signed him at the time Inter did? Obviously the ETH link is a boost but he didn't need to be the manager for the powers that be to make a decision that they needed a new GK, something that was pretty evident for a while.
Because you’re viewing it through hindsight. This isn’t a we could have signed Haaland at 18 scenario, it’s a we could have signed him for nothing (or peanuts) that’s an argument that could be made for literally everybody who has played football

Try reading my post again FFS.
feck me, you want a managerless club to buy players for unknown future managers whilst currently paying the current keeper a stupid wage?

What bizarre World are you living in? What if the new manager was a massive De Gea fan? Why would Onana come United not even knowing who his fecking manager would be or whether or not he or De Gea would be number 1??

redcucumber

feck me, you want a managerless club to buy players for unknown future managers whilst currently paying the current keeper a stupid wage?

What bizarre World are you living in? What if the new manager was a massive De Gea fan? Why would Onana come United not even knowing who his fecking manager would be or whether or not he or De Gea would be number 1??
Yeh Onana agreed to join Inter long before we had sorted ten Hag.

On the bolded, though, that's the sort of thing you'd hope the team of sporting directors would make to fit the more progressive and assertive style of football we should be playing, regardless of whether or not we have a manager. De Gea was a great servant for us but he had absolutely no place starting for a team with title winning ambition at this point in his career.

BarstoolProphet

Why couldn't Utd have signed him at the time Inter did? Obviously the ETH link is a boost but he didn't need to be the manager for the powers that be to make a decision that they needed a new GK, something that was pretty evident for a while.
Reliable sources first mentioned Onana close to Inter in November 2021. DdG was both a favourite with the recently sacked Ole and the then interim Ragnick (remember he famously said GK wasn't a pressing issue during his 'open heart surgery rant'). Add to that Onana being suspended for months and coming back being really poor and your argument to bash the club even in hindsight doesn't make any sense at all. Remember the powers at the club was really torn between Poch and EtH, so beginning to plan new players when unsure between two different types of managers would be even more stupid than doing nothing.

Yeh Onana agreed to join Inter long before we had sorted ten Hag.

On the bolded, though, that's the sort of thing you'd hope the team of sporting directors would make to fit the more progressive and assertive style of football we should be playing, regardless of whether or not we have a manager. De Gea was a great servant for us but he had absolutely no place starting for a team with title winning ambition at this point in his career.
We’ve jumped from Moyes to LVG to Mourinho to Ole to Ragnick to ETH, we don’t have a style.
Liverpool didn’t have one before Klopp either and nor do Chelsea, Arsenal didn’t before Arteta.
City did but that’s cause the cheating fecks clearly paid Pep a retainer early and got his Barca directors at work a few years before he joined. Still didn’t stop them having a Joe Hart and dogshit purchase in Bravo problem though leaving them, like us, looking for a new keeper a year after Pep arrived.

Let’s also not forget Ole was manager when Inter started agreeing with Onana, and was a big DDG fan.

It’s nonsensical to think we’d have got Onana in December 2021, or that he would have agreed to come to a managerless club with no guarantee if he or De Gea would be no. 1.

Let’s also remember Alison signed for Roma in 2016 for 8m, no forward planning from a tonne of clubs there too I guess?

Last edited:

BarstoolProphet

We’ve jumped from Moyes to LVG to Mourinho to Ole to Rangnick to ETH, we don’t have a style.
Liverpool didn’t have one before Klopp either and nor do Chelsea, Arsenal didn’t before Arteta.
City did but that’s cause the cheating fecks clearly paid Pep a retainer early and got his Barca directors at work a few years before he joined. Still didn’t stop them having a Joe Hart and dogshit purchase in Bravo problem though leaving them, like us, looking for a new keeper a year after Pep arrived.

Let’s also not forget Ole was manager when Inter started agreeing with Onana, and was a big DDG fan.
And Ragnick, who we by all accounts wanted to use as our main advisor going forward, said GK was one of the few positions that didn't need replacing.

James35

Onana transfer has been a bit of a chore, for me at least. Will transform our team play but I just can’t seem to get excited about it.

The nagging feeling we are still a fair distance off the best teams, still owned by the bloody Glazers and still relatively hit and miss (mostly miss) when it comes to buying and selling just numbs my excitement about the new season and the club in general.

My inner muppet needs therapy.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Every time I take a look in this thread there is a 'here we go' type of tweet. I'm starting to think the club are paying these journos to make a deal sound close, just to distract from how long it's actually taking. We've gone from pats on the back to the club for getting him in ready for tour, to it sounding like he's not close to signing and it's going to be another week.

OrcaFat

And Rangnick, who we by all accounts wanted to use as our main advisor going forward, said GK was one of the few positions that didn't need replacing.
As far as I could gather, EtH spoke to RR then told the club he didn’t want RR around - possibly they had very different views about how to play and develop the team.

Oranges038

One of the greatest bands of all time, that's who.
The who are good.

Beach boys, I guess you need to like wearing really tight speedo's while taking lsd to get into that. I only have one of these things.

Some say pet sounds is the greatest album ever.
Was that the one what they gave Charlie Manson some money, drugs and motorcycle for some song?

daba

Onana transfer has been a bit of a chore, for me at least. Will transform our team play but I just can’t seem to get excited about it.

The nagging feeling we are still a fair distance off the best teams, still owned by the bloody Glazers and still relatively hit and miss (mostly miss) when it comes to buying and selling just numbs my excitement about the new season and the club in general.

When you see him doing his thing on the pitch I think that should change

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Not nibbling on that sorry :lol:
United are going full throttle on a deal to sign Suzuki Zion as their new backup keeper. Suzuki who has herb likened to incoming new custodian Onana, will take the place of the more established keeper, when AFCON duty calls. The deal is expected to be completed in early 2056.

How about now?

redcucumber

We’ve jumped from Moyes to LVG to Mourinho to Ole to Rangnick to ETH, we don’t have a style.

It’s nonsensical to think we’d have got Onana in December 2021, or that he would have agreed to come to a managerless club with no guarantee if he or De Gea would be no. 1.

Let’s also remember Alison signed for Roma in 2016 for 8m, no forward planning from a tonne of clubs there too I guess?
Isn't the point of having a team of sporting directors to instil an overarching direction and style that starts with the first team and continues all the way through to the youth teams so that there's a sense of identity and consistency? Sometimes that means ideas get done regardless of the manager (though obviously they'll all bump heads). It's why Liverpool ended up with Salah after pressuring Klopp due to his initial resistance. Not doing that is why we've spent so disastrously over the past 10 years and engaged in some absolutely mind numbingly stupid as feck contract renewals. Managers shouldn't be given unilateral decision-making powers.

Waynne

This only works if we get a ST with really good hold up play. Not sure what our current forward players are like at this. Think Antony may be decent not sure on Rashford.
That's true and why Hojlund is pivotal or any player of that sort of calibre. Tony can't be relied upon due to his injury record. Kane would be ideal but he's not a realisitc target at this point in time.

Real Name

You must be fun at parties.

RuudTom83

Romano has had a bit of a mare with this one...I want Onana to sign so Romano can go back to pretending he actually knows what he is doing.

Stinkypete

Isn't the point of having a team of sporting directors to instil an overarching direction and style that starts with the first team and continues all the way through to the youth teams so that there's a sense of identity and consistency? Sometimes that means ideas get done regardless of the manager (though obviously they'll all bump heads). It's why Liverpool ended up with Salah after pressuring Klopp due to his initial resistance. Not doing that is why we've spent so disastrously over the past 10 years and engaged in some absolutely mind numbingly stupid as feck contract renewals. Managers shouldn't be given unilateral decision-making powers.
Maguire was a Mourinho target signed for Ole.

Moyes was promised Bale, Herrera among others and got Fellaini.

LVG gave Woodward a list and got none of them.

Rangnick recommended players in January and got none of them.

Ten Hag is the first manager that has been allowed his vision, very much in the same vein as the power Guardiola has at City.

redcucumber

Ten Hag is the first manager that has been allowed his vision, very much in the same vein as the power Guardiola has at City.
We don't and can't operate like City - they are infamous cheats who can pretty much sign anyone as a result of cheating their way to success.

Pretty sure Casemiro was a 'club' signing that had been courted by the directors since the start of the window in the event that ten Hag's preference in De Jong didn't materialise. It's not just about being allowed to see through their vision - sometimes signings just don't come off. That's the breaks in football for the vast majority of teams. Regardless, it's clear that the directors and ten Hag work in tandem which is the way it should be. But ten Hag won't be here forever so it's important we have directors that can guide the team through the present and future by being mindful of which players we bring in.

Newtonius

Not a coincidence this coincides with Woody fecking off either is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.