André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JagUTD

Saw a little compilation of ...absolutely horrific errors from him.
Not as long as De Gea's 1 season clip though.

And even City and Liverpool's guys have produced some hilarious howlers the last few years.
Every keeper has a catalogue of errors but none will ever reach the heights of errordom achieved one September afternoon in Birmingham, 2002.

meninred

I think Onana is overhyped by the media. Good Goal keeper but nothing else. the fact that he may be good at his feet should be a bonus not a main requirement. A goalkeeper should primary be judged by how commanding he is ..able to make good saves..etc..Courtois may be a good example for that. Infact until recently a player who used his feet much was a considered a high risk goal keeper. I remember the Columbian goalkeeper ..Higuita.
I personally would renew Degea contract for a year and spend the money for other positions. we will have one more year not to worry about goalkeepers.

Kaos

I think Onana is overhyped by the media. Good Goal keeper but nothing else. the fact that he may be good at his feet should be a bonus not a main requirement. A goalkeeper should primary be judged by how commanding he is ..able to make good saves..etc..Courtois may be a good example for that. Infact until recently a player who used his feet much was a considered a high risk goal keeper. I remember the Columbian goalkeeper ..Higuita.
I personally would renew Degea contract for a year and spend the money for other positions. we will have one more year not to worry about goalkeepers.
De Gea is an absolute liability unfortunately, the GK upgrade is almost as important as a striker. And I'd say being good on your feet is imperative for a GK that Ten Hag wants in his system, otherwise we're resigned to conceding too much possession with him constantly booting it to the opposition. He's also useless at commanding his box.

JB7

Yeah lets judge goalkeepers on how commanding they are and renew the least commanding goalkeeper around :houllier:

Cloud7

Very good breakdown of what he could bring to us, even if it is slightly rose tinted.
Every keeper makes mistakes, but I rather a keeper who makes mistakes while also trying to be positive and move things forward rather than a keeper who makes mistakes while not being positive, like what we have now

dinostar77

How good a shot stopper he is? Because we will be seeing a lot of “De Gea saves that” this year if he isnt that good.
There will always be that comparision for any keeper coming in replacing De Gea. Can he stop shots as well as De Gea can?

I have been a stauch defender of De Gea on here. I still think hes a excellent shot stopping keeper, but football at the elite level moves on and ETH wants a sweeper-keeper.

The frankly excellent video by tifo I R L channel on youtube on Onana has probably been the biggest factor in changing my mind about the keeper situation. Id be really interested to see Onana play in PL.

Only issue would be the need to have a PL proven no2 i.e. keep heaton as we would be losing de gea and henderson in same window.

No doubt de gea will be remembered as a club legend. One of the best keepers we've had that i can recall alonside schmiechel and van der sar.

Be interesting to see where de gea lands as a free.

dinostar77

Well worth a watch. Onana's affect on a defensive line is interesting to say the least. Hope we pull this off.

nav_10

I felt a bit unsure/or not totally confident in this transfer.

I've heard a lot about him, (the good and the bad).

When having watched him though in the Champions League for Ajax and Inter, particularly the final this year. I have come away impressed.

My uncertainty has stemmed from I think what can be best described as a subconscious stereotype.
With the greatest respect and sensivity, it's the point that how many top class or world class keepers has there been over the years who are of an African background?

(For example of another stereotype I've grown up woth, being of a South Asian background, is that at the highest level in football athletically South Asians ultimately aren't as good as other races).

In truth, there is perhaps an element of fact about it but it's probably due to different reasons altogether and nothing to do with any race having particular limitations.

I think Onana even touched upon it himself, when he said something along the lines of that when a black/African goalkeeper makes a mistake it's highlighted more.

Him and Maignan from Milan, are certainly changing the stereotype for me.

Hopefully United sign him and he kills the stereotype once and for all.

(FYI - I have tried to make this post as politely as I can, and sincerely mean no offence. I've read my post back and couple of times and do think I am making a somewhat valid point. Fellow posters please advise me if I am wrong and I'll delete this post).

Last edited:

Silas

I feel a bit unsure/or not totally confident in this transfer.

When having watched him though in the Champions League for Ajax and Inter, particularly the final this year. I have come away impressed.

My uncertainty has stemmed from I think what can be best described as a subconscious stereotype.
With the greatest respect and sensivity, it's the point that how many top class or world class keepers has there been over the years who are of an African background?

(For example of another stereotype I've grown up woth, being of a South Asian background, is that at the highest level in football athletically South Asians ultimately aren't as good as other races).

In truth, there is perhaps an element of fact about it but it's probably due to different reasons altogether and nothing to do with any race having particular limitations.

I think Onana even touched upon it himself, when he said something along the lines of that when a black/African goalkeeper makes a mistake it's highlighted more.

(FYI - I have tried to make this post as politely as I can, and sincerely mean no offence. I've read my post back and couple of times and do think I am making a somewhat valid point. Fellow posters please advise me if I am wrong and I'll delete this post).
Odd.

OverratedOpinion

I feel a bit unsure/or not totally confident in this transfer.

Surely you know that is totally illogical and as such have the mental capability to remember that anytime those thoughts crop up?

nav_10

Surely you know that is totally illogical and as such have the mental capability to remember that anytime those thoughts crop up?
I agree it's illogical which is the point I was/am attempting to make in my post (hasn't been put across well in hindsight).
It was me accepting that I've wrongly judged a player.

To try and explain a bit better, I don't watch near enough football to judge who is better between Onana and Diogo Costa? Having been linked with both of them, it's not wildly illogical to think initially (unfairly) that the keeper from Porto/Portuguese would be a better buy.

Naturally you are influenced by past experience or what you've seen.
Most people would say Portugal is the better footballing nation than Cameroon.

When having watched them though, Costa at WC looked uncertain and jittery, whilst Onana looked so assured even a bit arrogant with his style of goalkeeping particularly in the CL final.

If you were to ask me now, I'd pick Onana over Costa.

Plg91

O-na-na just saved a goal, e-i-e-i-o

Then pumps to Mount without error, e-i-e-i-o

To Licha’s left, to Varane’s right

Here he passes, there he passes everywhere he can pass

Onana just claimed a ball, e-i-e-i-o

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It was Arsenal who came close to signing Onana when he was in the final year of his contract according to NOS in Holland. But they then opted to sign Ramsdale instead for £30m and Inter Milan signed the player on a free because they couldn't pay money for him.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I felt a bit unsure/or not totally confident in this transfer.

For what it's worth, I think this is phrased very well, and that it's laudable that you're trying to analyze and discuss your possible subconscious biases.

OverratedOpinion

I agree it's illogical which is the point I was/am attempting to make in my post (hasn't been put across well in hindsight).
It was me accepting that I've wrongly judged a player.

To try and explain a bit better, I don't watch near enough football to judge who is better between Onana and Diogo Costa? Having been linked with both of them, it's not wildly illogical to think initially (unfairly) that the keeper from Porto/Portuguese would be a better buy.

Naturally you are influenced by past experience or what you've seen.
Most people would say Portugal is the better footballing nation than Cameroon.

When having watched them though, Costa at WC looked uncertain and jittery, whilst Onana looked so assured even a bit arrogant with his style of goalkeeping particularly in the CL final.

If you were to ask me now, I'd pick Onana over Costa.
No I get what you're saying, I'm just questioning why it matters.

You have the gift of critical thought. Onana was just the best goalkeeper in the Champions League and as you said he looks better than the other option.

So your initial snap judgement doesn't really matter because the actual logical facts you have access to contradict it and you're smart enough to know that is 1000 times more valuable than an opinion based on "ya know what's weird. There haven't been that many top keepers from Africa"

OverratedOpinion

I think he's our best option but why didnt we sign him last summer for free?
I agree, I thought this when Ten Hag first came in. I remember googling what he'd been upto after his ban.

I think in part maybe Ten Hag wasn't sure what was going to happen with De Gea and Onana was apparently set on being the number 1 at a top club which lead him to rejecting a move to Lyon.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
De Gea is not commanding and is effectively a possession turnover machine. No serious club that wants to play on the front foot keeps him as their number 1.

stoinz

Why are we assuming Inter would sell him to us for cheap? Considering we have no money and have just signed Mount and planning to sign a striker, we can't really afford big transfers or maybe Inter still owe us monies from Lukaku?

Paul778

I agree, I thought this when Ten Hag first came in. I remember googling what he'd been upto after his ban.

I think in part maybe Ten Hag wasn't sure what was going to happen with De Gea and Onana was apparently set on being the number 1 at a top club which lead him to rejecting a move to Lyon.
I'm sure ETH wanted to work with DDG and the rest of the team in training and see whether he could get him.to improve in the areas he wanted. Remember, unyil tomorrow we have the highest paid GK in the league and Henderson, the 6th highest.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
How good a shot stopper he is? Because we will be seeing a lot of “De Gea saves that” this year if he isnt that good.
De Gea doesn't save a lot of the "de Gea saves those" type of shots anymore so whatever. And besides, being strong in the air, quality passing out from the back and having a mentality where you relish the big occasions are all far more important for big clubs than just an elite shot stopper but who is woeful in those 3 aspects.

Real Name

Sure, lets renew with DDG who's one of the least commanding keepers around.

Withnail

De Gea doesn't save a lot of the "de Gea saves those" type of shots anymore so whatever. And besides, being strong in the air, quality passing out from the back and having a mentality where you relish the big occasions are all far more important for big clubs than just an elite shot stopper but who is woeful in those 3 aspects.
True, he hasn't been an elite shot-stopper for about 5 seasons.

davidmichael

You realise that De Gea has spent his entire career being the most uncommanding keeper out there right ?

Has almost zero command of his area, doesn’t claim the ball in the box, direct his defence, rarely leaves his six yard box and is constantly targeted by the opposition from corners.

De Gea was and to a far lesser ability still is a shot stopper who’s main asset was and to a far lesser ability now is his reflexes, there’s no denying he was once head and shoulders above every other keeper in the world as a shot stopper and has saved us points with his shot stopping BUT we’ve no room for sentiment if we’re to be successful and De Gea simply doesn’t fit how ETH wants to play so why keep De Gea for a year when he kills ETH’s tactics ?

crossy1686

career ending
Really hopeful we get this done soon. Interesting that Pep even referenced him and compared him to De Gea before the CL final. Signing him will change our whole style of play next season, it will force teams to sit deeper and give us a massive advantage in most games.

I don't think Mount will succeed unless we get this guy.

Idxomer

Really hopeful we get this done soon. Interesting that Pep even referenced him and compared him to De Gea before the CL final. Signing him will change our whole style of play next season, it will force teams to sit deeper and give us a massive advantage in most games.

I don't think Mount will succeed unless we get this guy.
He also mentioned the importance of players who can receive his passes under pressure, a striker with a good hold-up play is a must.

crossy1686

career ending
He also mentioned the importance of players who can receive his passes under pressure, a striker with a good hold-up play is a must.
Absolutely, which is interesting because it suggests we don't need a 30 goal a season striker, just someone who can hold the ball up and bring the wide men in, which is ultimately what I think we'll get this summer.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Absolutely, which is interesting because it suggests we don't need a 30 goal a season striker, just someone who can hold the ball up and bring the wide men in, which is ultimately what I think we'll get this summer.
Wonder what Olivier Giroud has been up to these days...

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I think he's our best option but why didnt we sign him last summer for free?

FFS this is literally mentioned every other page. He had already agreed a pre contract with Inter before ETH joined United.

Kag

This signing - or somebody like him - could be the most important we’ve made post-Ferguson.

A total game-changer. We’ve seen what Ederson, Allison and now Ramsdale have contributed. We need our own.

Tarrou

Ah yes…Waiting FC strikes again. We love to wait don’t we? De Gea’s contract runs out TOMORROW and still we chose to WAIT.
you realise that journalists are just filling column inches right?

we're not waiting, we're literally signing a new keeper ffs

Status
Not open for further replies.