André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedOrange

Inter must be loving this to bits. Picked him up on a free last season (where was our knucklehead transfer guru) and selling him for 50-60 million barely a year later. All profit in their coffers

We knew De Gea's time was coming to a close, and Onana was the starting keeper for ETH at Ajax. Couldn't someone put two and two together last year, or is it too much to expect any forward fücking thinking from our knucklehead transfer gurus.
It sounds like ETH really had to put his foot down to prevent De Gea from being brought back this season, so I'd imagine there are at least a few decision makers at the club who still think De Gea is good enough.

Dazzmondo

Some of the comments in the thread are quite funny.

"We need a goalkeeper who can play with their feet!"
*Actually sees footage of a goalkeeper playing with their feet
"OMG what the hell is he doing!"

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

To be fair what Onana does is a bit mental a lot of the time.

dutchred

To be fair what Onana does is a bit mental a lot of the time.
I thinkk he expects his defenders and midfielders to be technically efficient. When he plays a short pass, he expects the recipient to be able to hold the ball or execute a good one time pass. I think he will get this with Martinez, Caemiro, Varane, Eriksen and Mount

IrishRedDevil

I thinkk he expects his defenders and midfielders to be technically efficient. When he plays a short pass, he expects the recipient to be able to hold the ball or execute a good one time pass. I think he will get this with Martinez, Caemiro, Varane, Eriksen and Mount
and Shaw.

Suedesi

De gea will never be forgotten. He goes down as a legend at our club. We signed him as a young lad and he grew into a man here. He needs to be respected. Although I agree with your first line… Onana will be a hit and improve our style of play.
I agree with De Gea being a legend of the club, and overall he contributed a lot. However if we're being intellectually honest and have removed all red tinted glasses, his form recently (especially last 2-3months) was average to mediocre. That's what I meant with 'he will make people forget about de Gea'

Suedesi

Transfer agreed before ETH took charge of United so wasn’t on the radar for us. Would’ve been better getting him for free but here we are.
Erik ten Hag was confirmed as Manchester United manager in April 2022, Inter picked Onana in July. We could have moved on him if we were decisive, shrewd and longsighted - but those adjectives don't apply to our organization.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Erik ten Hag was confirmed as Manchester United manager in April 2022, Inter picked Onana in July. We could have moved on him if we were decisive, shrewd and longsighted - but those adjectives don't apply to our organization.
No. Onana agreed to go to inter waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before, even before it was technically "legal" for them to talk

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

I think what you missed here is that people weren't asking for a keeper that plays only with his feet, and spends half the match playing ahead of the centre backs. Yes, I might be exaggerating a tiny bit here.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Inter must be loving this to bits. Picked him up on a free last season (where was our knucklehead transfer guru) and selling him for 50-60 million barely a year later. All profit in their coffers

We knew De Gea's time was coming to a close, and Onana was the starting keeper for ETH at Ajax. Couldn't someone put two and two together last year, or is it too much to expect any forward fücking thinking from our knucklehead transfer gurus.
Yes, we should have signed a player on a free coming off a doping ban who caused issues at his previous club.

Genius thinking.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I agree with De Gea being a legend of the club, and overall he contributed a lot. However if we're being intellectually honest and have removed all red tinted glasses, his form recently (especially last 2-3months) was average to mediocre. That's what I meant with 'he will make people forget about de Gea'
Ye I get what you meant. Just hope Onana puts in the performances early to stop people questioning him.

Suedesi

Yes, we should have signed a player on a free coming off a doping ban who caused issues at his previous club.

Genius thinking.
Such arrogant thinking results in us paying Inter a 50-60 premium player a year later. Could have picked one Kim Min-jae

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
5 year contract agreed on a salary of 6,5-7m€ per year.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Feck me, can people get thread banned for moaning why we didn’t get him on a free. It’s been explained 50 times at least.
I hope we at least sign a good number 2 for when Onana's with his national team at the Copa America.

Amir

Did ETH convey any sort of wish to sign a new goalkeeper? Or Onana? Or a goalkeeper with those traits?

United's organization was clearly not equipped enough to be able to anticipate a manager's need without him saying so. It was made clear by ETH ending up going for players he knew.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Such arrogant thinking results in us paying Inter a 50-60 premium player a year later. Could have picked one Kim Min-jae
Inter and Onana had agreed on a pre-contract agreement in January 2022, after it had been reported that Inter had been in discussions with Onana since October. It was Arsenal who had come close to signing him in the summer of 2021 according to the Dutch source NOS who went on to report that Arsenal offered €7m but Ajax wanted €15m. Hence Arsenal pulled out for a player that wasn't going to be available due to his ban and instead signed Ramsdale. That then gave Inter the opportunity to sign him on a free with Arsenal out of the picture because Inter could only sign him on a free at the time.

United at the time were still being managed by Solskjaer and then afer by the interim manager Rangnick who went on record and said the team required open heart surgery but De Gea, Elanga and McTominay were not a problem.

laughtersassassin

I have a genuine question - how is Onana like when dealing with crosses?
No where near as good as say Allison and others are but a hell of a lot better than De Gea in my opinion.

Won't claim I've watched him a lot though. Just the odd CL game here and there.

Redcy

Sorry stop with facts, there is a narrative to be had here about Erik, our transfers, Dutch based players, etc. facts have no use in this thread

Rightnr

Of all the examples you could have picked that's not the one.

The same way we won't sign Toney whatever logic you might offer (and I might even agree), it's just not going to happen for a big club in England.

Time needs to pass between a scandal and a player like this joining a big English club because of PR considerations. This doesn't hold in Italy and that's why we're sending Greenwood there.

Any other course of action is not something that would happen in the real world.

Blood Mage

Still think Diogo Costa would have been the better buy, but I'm looking forward to our build-up play being a lot smoother with a proper ball-playing sweeper between the sticks.

Bertie Wooster

Genius thinking.
Hmm.

If all the above raised legitimate red flags when considering a free transfer deal, are they not still red flags 12 months on when considering a £40-50m deal?

Personally, I'm happy enough to sign him. But the drugs issue / mistake still happened, the 'causing problems at his former club' (Ajax) still happened, as did the falling out with his international manager and subsequent early international retirement.

Funny they'd be red flags to prevent a free transfer deal - and to mock the suggestion of us signing him then - but not for a £40-50m deal 12 months later.

But, anyway, I fully back ETH and want him to get his #1 targets, so I'm pleased to see us hopefully landing Onana the same as I was with Mount - and for the same main reason, ETH getting his first choice options.

Last edited:

Rightnr

Hmm.

If all the above raised legitimate red flags when considering a free transfer deal, are they not still red flags 12 months on when considering a £40-50m deal?

Personally, I'm happy enough to sign him. But the drugs issue / mistake still happened, the 'causing problems at his former club' (Ajax) still happened, as did the falling out with his international manager and subsequent early international retirement.

Funny they'd be red flags to prevent a free transfer deal - and to mock the suggestion of us signing him then - but not for a £40-50m deal 12 months later.

But, anyway, I fully back ETH and want him to get his #1 targets, so I'm pleased to see us hopefully landing Onana the same as I was with Mount - and for the same main reason, ETH getting his first choice options.
See my other post. It's about optics, otherwise I agree with your points.

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, I saw your other post after I'd posted. That's a fair point about the drug situation - that we needend time to pass before signing him after it.

The other possible red flags still remain of course - though, as I said, I'm happy enough to back ETH and see him land his first choice signings. And he knows Onana's character well enough so obviously isn't worried about those fallings out that he's been involved in.

Last edited:

mckenzie79

Are you drinking tonight?

I can only assume you are with some of the ridiculous statements your making.

Or, you are in the group of its cool to slag utd off no matter what they do.

Yeah, we signed Cantona, but where were we when he got suspended from Marseille 3 years ago.

fecking tragic.

Suedesi

This was just a stupid mistake and the Court of Arbitration for Sport reduced the ban from 12 months to nine, even put a line in their report that said there was no “significant fault” on Onana's part.

In coming to its decision, the CAS Panel also found that no “significant fault” could be attributed to André Onana who had ingested medication destined for another person in error. On that basis, the Panel considered that a 9-month ban was proportionate to the negligence committed and reduced the suspension by 3 months, but could not accept the goalkeeper’s request for the removal of the suspension entirely.

https://www.tas-cas.org/en/general-...na-for-an-anti-doping-rule-violation-fro.html

Status
Not open for further replies.