André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I agree that it isn't guaranteed that Onana will adjust to the Premier League, but if that final against City is anything to go by then I think he's got a great chance. I'm sure if he has a couple of moments early on where his dribbling antics get him into trouble then he and Ten Hag will adapt his game to eliminate these issues.

I just keep going back to this video, in the final of the CL, against City. It's unreal how calm he is on the ball, and watching him come out for high balls and crosses is something I forgot that keepers are meant to do. Plus, some of those long balls up are :drool:

Consoling his team mates after losing the game like a leader, pushing Haaland because he was being a twat. I think his positives will outweigh any negatives he might have.
Yeah this is why I prefer him over Diogo Costa - one of the biggest intangibles is how does a player handle high pressure situations, can they handle playing on the big occasion and for a club like United. Playing like that in a CL final against City is a resounding yes for him.

Costa is young, but he did struggle in the World Cup. He's got big potential, but it's a question mark that isn't worth the risk at that price when Onana doesn't have it

Oranges038

Its going to be surreal to have a keeper who practically plays like a 3rd CB.

He's so assured in his passing, he does it like thats the easiest thing in the world, while being in front of about 3 opposing players.
I can't wait to see him play, there's going to be feckups and heart attack moments, but overall I think he'll be better for the team as a whole.

The people who don't like this must still have PTSD from Barthez.

NLunited

I had forgotten how high up Onana plays with the ball at his feet. This will mean we always will have an extra man in build up.

Of course some teams will try to trick him into mistakes, so it will be exciting to watch.

Siorac

Fully agreed.
It drives me nuts, when pundits spill out this "PL Proven" bilge.
Was Aguero PL proven? Thierry Henry? Van Nistelrooy? Haaland? etc etc etc......

Salah & De Bruyne were PL flops at Chelsea, wouldn't argue against them being PL proven now though.
Could also argue that Harry Maguire WAS premier League proven, but look how that turned out.
Hear hear. "PL proven" is possibly the most annoying of the widely used phrases in football discussion.

Chairman Steve

These days I think ‘PL Proven’ is some kind of phrasing pushed by mainly Sky as an elitist high horse view that anything outside of the Premier League is inferior, as Sky have been bosom buddies with the Premier League since it all started.

But it’s filtered down into the public subconscious and now people legitimately believe that.

Morgan Schneiderlin was ‘PL proven’ when we bought him from Soton, but he was a massive flop.

Redlyn

Since he thinks he's a midfielder he is prone to some shocking mistakes due to being out of position or trying to over dribble the opponent. Hopefully he can hone in the Bailly like craziness that comes through from time to time.

Kaizane

Big day today.

No doubt he's a great distributor of the ball - even puts the correct spin on it depending on the situation. Very curious to see how our forward players adapt to having these types of balls fizzed at their heads every 5 minutes.

Rashford, Sancho, Garnacho and Antony aren't the type to go up and contest the ball in the air with their backs to goal, and playing only to feet takes away half the advantage of having a ball playing keeper.

Interesting times ahead...

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
That’s the whole point… the CB and midfield changes already had a lot of impact. Onana is much better than Dave with his feet. But if we fail to bring in another player (striker!) I don’t believe Onana alone is “transformative”. The way the Caf goes on about it, we’re suddenly CL favorites :rolleyes:. Nuance… doesn’t exist on the internet these days. It’s either amazing or shit with nothing in between.
Except nobody has said the bolded. Which is ironic considering your last sentence there where you are the one actually doing it.

If your idea of 'transformative' is somebody who single-handedly makes us PL or CL favourites, then no Onana isn't. But I presume most people are using it in the sense that he will make a fairly significant difference to our build-up play from the back, make it more difficult to press us, and enable us to play a higher defensive line which will itself improve our own pressing ability. Will he instantly turn all those aspects from us being downright poor for a top team to suddenly being at a level of City? No, of course not. But he should be a big step in that direction. A step that needs to be taken before the following steps can be taken.

peridigm

Clips show he favors his right foot but he is quit adept with his left as well.

croadyman

No doubt he's a great distributor of the ball - even puts the correct spin on it depending on the situation. Very curious to see how our forward players adapt to having these types of balls fizzed at their heads every 5 minutes.

Rashford, Sancho, Garnacho and Antony aren't the type to go up and contest the ball in the air with their backs to goal, and playing only to feet takes away half the advantage of having a ball playing keeper.

Hojlund can definitely play with his back to goal but he is also isn't that aerial threat either,getting back on topic of course he will make me nervous drawing attackers but also excited too.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yeah there are a ton of things involved in a deal. Surely you can't tell your partner hey please wait we'd need to see the financial department, marketing department, the lawyers, talk with the coaches, the chairman etc. then we'd get back to you. That would take days.

So unless the first bid makes the selling side happy enough it would take at least a couple of weeks imo. But there's also the deadline transfers which happen in the last 24 hours of the window. So it can be fast when it needs to I think.
Despite all that, those last day panic buy deal would only take hours to wrap up everything.

AlexUTD

Ask Onana to do those long passes when other team have space behind them then all you need is pace to get those balls :devil:

croadyman

Yeah this is why I prefer him over Diogo Costa - one of the biggest intangibles is how does a player handle high pressure situations, can they handle playing on the big occasion and for a club like United. Playing like that in a CL final against City is a resounding yes for him.

Costa is young, but he did struggle in the World Cup. He's got big potential, but it's a question mark that isn't worth the risk at that price when Onana doesn't have it
Yeah I will probably be left with egg on my face for saying this but see him relishing a hostile atmosphere like Anfield

NLunited

Since he thinks he's a midfielder he is prone to some shocking mistakes due to being out of position or trying to over dribble the opponent. Hopefully he can hone in the Bailly like craziness that comes through from time to time.
Yeah all those mistakes he made this season, none I’ve been told.

But seriously, doing it here at United will be a different kettle of fish.

bosnian_red

Yeah I will probably be left with egg on my face for saying this but see him relishing a hostile atmosphere like Anfield
We can be peak Barcelona level and they can be peak Hodgson level and we'll still shit our pants there, let's be real. People need to stop looking at the Liverpool away game as anything other than a probable loss

lsd

The Oracle
I remember we were actually close to buying him and Holjund as well.

Good times it was round about when we looked like we might have new owners too.

I miss that era

bbelly

Do goalkeepers ever get chants? I can't think of one off the top of my head.
I just created one to the tune of Rihanna's "What's his name":

O-na-na, what's his name?
O-na-na, what's his name?
What's his name? What's his name?

Cameroon, I really wanna thank that you
Made a boy like this with feet like that
Cameroon, I really wanna say that he
Is just our type
Oo, na, na, na, na
We got our guy to protect the top bin
He is our goalie machine
Oh woah, oh woah

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We can be peak Barcelona level and they can be peak Hodgson level and we'll still shit our pants there, let's be real. People need to stop looking at the Liverpool away game as anything other than a probable loss
Remember when LVG took us there and played them off the park?

bosnian_red

Remember when LVG took us there and played them off the park?
A one in 20 year occasion that... once our 2010/11 team who walked the title and reached the CL final played like ass against Hodgson's Liverpool and lost to a Kuyt hat trick, I gave up hope at Anfield. Anything is a bonus.

DJ_21

A one in 20 year occasion that... once our 2010/11 team who walked the title and reached the CL final played like ass against Hodgson's Liverpool and lost to a Kuyt hat trick, I gave up hope at Anfield. Anything is a bonus.
You can say the same about them coming to OT. They’ve beat us twice at OT since 2014. The same amount as times we’ve beat them since 2014 at their place.

bosnian_red

You can say the same about them coming to OT. They’ve beat us twice at OT since 2014. The same amount as times we’ve beat them since 2014 at their place.
Yup! It's not a inferiority thing, we are great at home and I fancy us against anyone there. Away to Anfield though is worse for us than away to City though. It's never been good. Even when we win, it tends to be a fluke win. Juanfield aside.

DJ_21

Yup! It's not a inferiority thing, we are great at home and I fancy us against anyone there. Away to Anfield though is worse for us than away to City though. It's never been good. Even when we win, it tends to be a fluke win. Juanfield aside.
Ye I agree. Think it’s just the hostile. Which is obviously a lot different to city with there 20 fans. Depends which team turns up I suppose. I mean Madrid hammered them there this season so the fear factor has gone a little bit there.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
That’s the whole point… the CB and midfield changes already had a lot of impact. Onana is much better than Dave with his feet. But if we fail to bring in another player (striker!) I don’t believe Onana alone is “transformative”. The way the Caf goes on about it, we’re suddenly CL favorites :rolleyes:. Nuance… doesn’t exist on the internet these days. It’s either amazing or shit with nothing in between.

He’s had some howlers too, fellas. Personally, I’m not crazy about how often he dribbles around. I predict he’ll have a couple of mistakes and the Caf will go mental. I think he’ll be a net positive, a good player for us. I do not think, however, that we’ll suddenly have 80% possession every match, suddenly becoming tiki taka. We don’t have those types of players.

Definitely predicting we'll go to a newly promoted side early in the season and he'll cost us a goal and the press pile on will be huge.

criticalanalysis

He’s had some howlers too, fellas. Personally, I’m not crazy about how often he dribbles around. I predict he’ll have a couple of mistakes and the Caf will go mental. I think he’ll be a net positive, a good player for us. I do not think, however, that we’ll suddenly have 80% possession every match, suddenly becoming tiki taka. We don’t have those types of players.

Either you're backtracking or the part I originally highlighted was just worded poorly/incorrectly then.

Also your doubt or the basis of your argument has been responded perfectly below:

Except nobody has said the bolded. Which is ironic considering your last sentence there where you are the one actually doing it.

If your idea of 'transformative' is somebody who single-handedly makes us PL or CL favourites, then no Onana isn't. But I presume most people are using it in the sense that he will make a fairly significant difference to our build-up play from the back, make it more difficult to press us, and enable us to play a higher defensive line which will itself improve our own pressing ability. Will he instantly turn all those aspects from us being downright poor for a top team to suddenly being at a level of City? No, of course not. But he should be a big step in that direction. A step that needs to be taken before the following steps can be taken.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Fully agree (let's hope we're not wrong :lol: )

Listen up Glazers - I know they're eating their elbow flakes whilst browsing the Caf - it's really simple. We need at least one new keeper. Onana will bring intelligence and a calming, commanding presence at the back. Release the funds you knobheads.

thomas porter

can we just wrap this deal up already?!? we have to be the absolute slowest movers in the market by a mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.