André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zlatans Knee

can we just wrap this deal up already?!? we have to be the absolute slowest movers in the market by a mile.
Easy to say when it is not your money. 5 odd million pounds is not peanuts. And could be the difference between us being able to afford the striker we want or not.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Classic prolonged period of journalist guesswork following the period of concrete interest but before a deal is actually done, where the club is doing god knows what.

Eddy_JukeZ

Yesterday it was Wednesday and Thursday was the big days . Now it’s Thursday after feck all was reported today :lol: He’s a clown
He's a clicks merchant.

I refuse to believe he has actual reputable sources beyond other journalists.

lex talionis

I’m with you. Only in very very rare cases would a goalkeeper have a transformational affect on the squad’s effectiveness. They simply don’t touch the ball enough in dangerous areas. If you look at launch % and number of passes, well, Chelsea has the lowest launch %, followed by Liverpool and Man City. We’re in the middle, about the same as Newcastle, with Arsenal at an even higher launch %.

How much is the contribution of Onana vs. DeGea? 3 passes per match? 1? 7? Is that enough to get us to 90 points on the season? I doubt it. Allison was transformative only because Karius was absolute crap across the board. DeGea just won the golden gloves. You can argue he is mediocre (I think that is accurate) and Onana is better, sure, but transformative is a big ask. Bruno was transformative when he arrived because he scored so many goals for us.

I absolutely think we will be better dealing with the press, but I would argue we were a lot better dealing with the press anyhow when we had Licha and Varane playing and not Maguire and Lindelof. To compound things, Fred and McTominay aren’t exactly Xavi and Busquets on the ball. Much of our improvement in playing through the press was Casemiro and Eriksen. In other words, Maguire + Lindelof + Fred + McTominay + DeGea was a high press disaster. We now have Eriksen/Mount + Casemiro + Licha + Varane + Onana. I wouldn’t call the addition of Onana as “transformative”. Ederson and Alison have had a bunch of passing mistakes like DeGea, it’s just they went on to win those matches because they were so good everywhere else on the pitch whereas we lost.

I’m not saying Onana won’t help us play the way we want, but I do think the Caf has exaggerated the effect Onana will have on the squad. When you look at it financially, yes, we’ll need to pay for Onana, say 50m, plus 6m per season salary, for a 16m per season outlay (when amortizing the transfer fee over 5 years). We were paying DeGea roughly 19m per season in just salary alone. We got younger and a bit better playing out of the back and we’re paying less money.

Fellas, let’s not overhype Onana. He’ll be a very good addition to the squad. Glad DeGea has moved on. But a world class striker would have the greatest impact BY FAR. Even improving MF, RW and fullback play would help more that a goalkeeper.

Furthermore, let’s assume that a real striker would score an additional 15-20 goals… that puts Our goal difference closer to 30-35 which is Arsenal range. Our GD was skewed because of the big losses, but some of those draws and losses turn into wins. I just don’t see how a goalkeeper gets you wins whereas A striker does.
I appreciate yours and all the comments here in support or even dubious of the transformational effect any new goalkeeper will have on our ability to be more clinical on goal, by far and away our most glaring weakness in the squad last year.

Just so that we are clear, these are the names of our strikers last season: Anthony Martial and Wout Weghorst. These are not names that instill fear in opposing defenders.

That our defensive record, apart from the two huge blowout defeats to City and Liverpool, was borderline outstanding and that De Gea kept more clean sheets than any other keeper could be argued were achievements despite, not because, of Dave.

In any event, I look forward to seeing the transformational impact Onana will have on our ability to improve our finishing on goal. If Martial and Hojlund between them score 30 goals, it would be hard to argue that bringing in a modern keeper had nothing to do with it.

Todd

For the love of god, get this done so we can move on to signing a #9 so we can move on to signing another midfielder so we can move on to signing another CB

criticalanalysis

Guys it's happening on Friday. Inter and Utd are going to onanaounce to the theme of:

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
Today it is Friday, Friday (Partyin')
We-we-we so excited
We so excited
We gonna have a ball today
Tomorrow is Saturday And Sunday comes after... wards
I don't want this weekend to end

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's a clicks merchant.

I refuse to believe he has actual reputable sources beyond other journalists.
You can't actually believe that? He's literally the most famous journalist out there, countless footballers follow him and even comment on his posts. Of course the guy is ridiculously well connected.

He started off working under Di Marzio, went independent as he had his own contacts with tons of agents and made it big time. Ridiculous thinking he doesn't have actual sources. Him and Ornstein are by far the 2 best and most well connected.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Please get it over the line. The more it goes on the more I think it will fall through.

Alcio77

Hope it is not happening. I had him in my fantasy-football team last season and saw him playing often. If news are right, we are willing to overpay for a keeper who is clearly not world-class level.

He has great distribution skills and range of passing. His reflexes are good, but he is average between the goal posts most of times.
And most important, he has no leadership at all, saw him quarreling too often with his teammates. Not to talk about the dispute with the Cameroon coach during the last World cup.

Furthermore, Inter are in desperate need of cash to finance Lukaku's return, reported for 40 million euros.

There are other good keepers out there. We should act smartly and call our price, I mean a reasonable price. Not feeding other clubs up for their desire to get back fat-ass Rom

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You can't actually believe that? He's literally the most famous journalist out there, countless footballers follow him and even comment on his posts. Of course the guy is ridiculously well connected.

He started off working under Di Marzio, went independent as he had his own contacts with tons of agents and made it big time. Ridiculous thinking he doesn't have actual sources. Him and Ornstein are by far the 2 best and most well connected.
Exactly, even Ornstein credited Romano for breaking few stories first, also Romano is well connected with agents.

Ornstein is at the level of his own, after than Romano and few others. He is very good but some sad reasons people hate him. People have problem even if he tweets giving credit to others who broke story, weird.

RC89

Easy to say when it is not your money. 5 odd million pounds is not peanuts. And could be the difference between us being able to afford the striker we want or not.
Who are you to bring sound reasoning into this? :mad:

RC89

He's a clown (Romano).
He's been getting progressively worse. Not saying his sources aren't what they were, but all he seems to do is rehash info over and over. If there's no update, no need to make out there is on a daily basis.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This best get agreed today. When is it we fly out to America?

Stig

Fridays are usually big days. If not then sometimes Mondays are.

Devil You Know

Even if he costs us 5 goals with his antics, he'll save us 10 by pushing the backline further up the pitch, and help us score another handful by starting attacks from deep.

croadyman

For the love of god, get this done so we can move on to signing a #9 so we can move on to signing another midfielder so we can move on to signing another CB
Won't see another midfielder or CB until we manage to sell Fred and Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.