Andreas Pereira image 15

Andreas Pereira Brazil flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sell him and stick a buy back. We need to stop this hanging on to players thing. He needs regular playing time and we cant afford to give him enough of it.
Of course we can? he can happily fill any forward position or midfield position.

There's no reason not to play him, unless Jose doesn't think he's good enough. The signs are though that he IS clearly good enough.

You can't tell me he isn't a better player than Fellaini. For some games we need technique, other's Fellaini's power.

If he doesn't get 30 appearances this year I will be disappointed. He could play for Barca and not look out of place IMO.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Welcome to a forum where opinions are allowed to differ. In a league where players who are the best in the league are usually physically imposing, it's not idiotic to point out some short arse might struggle. Lad is very much an unknown quality in the league and it remains to be seen how or if he progresses.
I've been here for a decade so I think I can safely say we have our fair share of people with idiotic ideas and opinions. Plenty of players of similar players have enjoyed themselves in the league just as plenty of stronger/taller players have struggled big time in a way the only thing to do is just wait and see him perform.

For this role, I think Herrera has potential. Hence I believe a midfield of Herrera, Pogba and Pereira could work very nicely
Hopefully you're right but I highly doubt he'll feature much.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Absolutely hate this myth. Did Modric have the physicality? Would you turn down Iniesta in his prime due to lack of physicality? Not all players have to rely on their physical attributes to be successful. He'll learn how to cope with it using his own skills and players won't be able to get near him.
Easiest example is David Silva.

SteveW

What's all this about him being too small???

He's not tiny, he's well able to use his body to protect the ball and nasty enough in the tackle. Scholes never got bullied, why would Pereira?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
What's all this about him being too small???

He's not tiny, he's well able to use his body to protect the ball and nasty enough in the tackle. Scholes never got bullied, why would Pereira?
Besides almost all of our other players are huge. Even Perisic is 6ft 2.

What's the big deal with having one player that's 5ft 10?

redsunited

He could very well be our Thiago/Modric type of player.

Already only Pogba seems to be better passer than him in CM. He is not short or weak and not easy to dispossessed as well. Considering his age(21), he is going to get more stronger by the next season or two.

For those who is talking about physicality, He is taller than Cleverley who played in a 2 man midfield for us.

Next 3 matches against Real, Barca and City will show his current ability to get in to our first XI.

Red_toad

Easiest example is David Silva.
Comparing him to proven world class player who plays in an entirely different system and position is a tad silly. Seems the lad is untouchable from some posters on here. As he's now apparently world class and should be playing for Barca/ Real by some of the posts on here.
Good prospect with a lot to prove for me. Hope he can make the grade, but seen so many hyped youngsters leave and end up nowhere.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This does feels like a new signing and a decent option for intensive 4 competition system.

He returned to play and the signs are Jose will provide him with some time on the pitch.

RedCurry

When did Pogba play #6? Can't remember any of that that.
Pogba has played just in front of the centre backs a lot of the games. Most games where we played two in the midfield, Pogba would be the one dropping back and making the play from deep. In fact Jose was criticized by many posters here for playing Pogba so deep.

Brightonian

His size won't be a problem, even for Jose. Firstly, he'll be playing alongside Pogba, who bring masses of physicality. Secondly we've got plenty of muscle and height throughout the team, as is usual for Mourinho sides. Thirdly, he's not actually that small. Fourthly, he's pretty strong for his size and very aggressive and scrappy in his playing style.

Pogba-Herrera-Pereira would be a very sexy midfield. Flair, workrate and grit all over the shop. All great passers of the ball, all capable tacklers, all very comfortable in tight spaces, all with good vision. Pereira and Pogba both dangerous dribblers. Herrera a thinking footballer more than capable of orchestrating a game.

The risk with midfields that use a number of versatile players rather than clearly defined defensive or attacking players is that while they look amazing when the team is playing well, they can be incredibly porous when team form is low. Whereas a midfield with a true, dedicated defensive midfielder will always be relatively solid even if it's not sparking. But it's definitely the Manchester United way to take that sort of risk.

pseudo_canadian

Everything he does is so smooth, and I love his technique.

Could be an important player for us this season, hope he gets enough minutes!

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Has quality and seems to have the right mentality. Would love to give him a chance but not sure how comfortable we'd be with him as our 3rd midfielder in the biggest matches. Suppose the only way to find out if he's ready is to play him though. Glad to see Mourinho being vocal in his support though. Maybe that's why he seems the less fussed about a DM vs a winger.

RedCurry

It's stupid and shows what's still wrong in England. You don't need to be a physical beast to be successful, I mean, Real just won the CL a 2nd time without having such a player in the squad. Pereira has obviously other qualities but then again, if someone has such a one dimensional way to look at players, you cant help
He's got technical ability in abundance. He needs to be more involved though. Even at 35, Carrick would get on the ball a lot more times than Pereira. I really want to see him become our Modric and I think he's a similar type of player. He needs to set possession and passing statistical targets for himself. If I were him, I'd be telling myself that every game I play, I should have the most number of passes in the game and by a fair bit.

luke511

He's got technical ability in abundance. He needs to be more involved though. Even at 35, Carrick would get on the ball a lot more times than Pereira. I really want to see him become our Modric and I think he's a similar type of player. He needs to set possession and passing statistical targets for himself. If I were him, I'd be telling myself that every game I play, I should have the most number of passes in the game and by a fair bit.
Age hasn't anything to do with it, Carrick's positioning was the deepest therefore more touches. Also, it must be almost instinct for our players to pass to Carrick, not the same for Pereira yet.

Water Melon

The lad has never basically played for the first team, unlike Carrick who knows players inside out and has been with us for 10+ years. Moreover, I have seen Pereira to be much more active midfielder during the tour than Carrick. Do we have stats showing that Michael has been involved more in the play than Andreas?

RedCurry

The lad has never basically played for the first team, unlike Carrick who knows players inside out and has been with us for 10+ years. Moreover, I have seen Pereira to be much more active midfielder during the tour than Carrick. Do we have stats showing that Michael has been involved more in the play than Andreas?
Not taking anything away from Pereira. It's natural that Carrick would have more passes than Pereira because firstly Carrick plays a lot deeper and he's an absolute machine. Not too many players would produce better numbers than him. Also Man Utd is a lot better team than Granada. But since you asked, I have pulled some stats which I think Pereira should be targeting to improve next season for us.

RedCurry

Age hasn't anything to do with it, Carrick's positioning was the deepest therefore more touches. Also, it must be almost instinct for our players to pass to Carrick, not the same for Pereira yet.
Agreed.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Not taking anything away from Pereira. It's natural that Carrick would have more passes than Pereira because firstly Carrick plays a lot deeper and he's an absolute machine. Not too many players would produce better numbers than him. Also Man Utd is a lot better team than Granada. But since you asked, I have pulled some stats which I think Pereira should be targeting to improve next season for us.

Periera wasn't playing as a defensive midfielder last season for Granada. You might aswell compare him to De Gea on saves made.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The boy does look classy and brings fluidity to United's play. However, I'm holding judgement until he establishes a role in the team. I jumped on the Cleverley bandwagon and thought he was going to make it at United after a dozen games. Only to be proved wrong.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
The boy does look classy and brings fluidity to United's play. However, I'm holding judgement until he establishes a role in the team. I jumped on the Cleverley bandwagon and thought he was going to make it at United after a dozen games. Only to be proved wrong.
Must resist the urge to get an 'AP15' tattoo

lopiop

Mourinho is trying to force him to learn the defensive side I think. Like others said a midfield of pogba, Herrera and Pereira would be sexy. All it needs now is a flying left full back that would overlap and the team would be set.

Robbie Boy

I see it with him but lets see how it goes. I'm really hoping he makes it here and I'm sure his loan last season has done him the world of good.

RedCurry

Are you sure? Because in my post I said exactly what you said. I only put the stats comparison with Carrick because someone asked for it. But maybe you were just agreeing with me.

Water Melon

Should have phrased myself better. The point I was trying to make that during the tour Andreas has been more impressive than Carrick. More involved in the game that is. Also we are playing really fast and vertically, whereas Carrick, being on his last legs, is brilliant when you need to see a game out.
As I said above, based on this tour's performance, I'd take current Andreas over current Carrick.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
I'm just hoping for this:

Herrera
Periera-Pogba​
It would be defensively solid enough with an abundance creativity.
He played with Herrera yesterday in a midfield three and was still the #6 and Herrera the #8, so… That's just wishful thinking.

Android1974

Pogba has played just in front of the centre backs a lot of the games. Most games where we played two in the midfield, Pogba would be the one dropping back and making the play from deep. In fact Jose was criticized by many posters here for playing Pogba so deep.
Not really, that's the job of any #8 too. I'm pretty sure he was never the most defensive of our midfield. People were complaining Mourinho playing him as #8, they wanted him freer in the pitch, like yesterday with Carrick and McTominay, and he almost drowned.

Android1974

Periera wasn't playing as a defensive midfielder last season for Granada. You might aswell compare him to De Gea on saves made.
Of course, it makes no sense. Counting passes forward of someone who also played leftwing and #10.

Android1974

Talk about prejudices… And Mourinho being a conservative manager (when he wants to add a playmaker to the defensive midfielder position…).

Last edited:

MadMike

He played with Herrera yesterday in a midfield three and was still the #6 and Herrera the #8, so… That's just wishful thinking.
These are only pre-season friendlies. Trying him out in DM doesn't mean he will play him there during the season. He probably has seen him loads as CM/AM for Granada but wants to see how he can perform in a role that requires more discipline and awareness.

Android1974

These are only pre-season friendlies. Trying him out in DM doesn't mean he will play him there during the season. He probably has seen him loads as CM/AM for Granada but wants to see how he can perform in a role that requires more discipline and awareness.
It's a bit of a mystery Mourinho never for once tried him wherever the fans think he should play.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.