Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurentiu amt

But Fellaini.
Well, Felli or not this is the moment when Andreas needs to put his head down and work his socks off. He has the talent to make it big, very big, he just needs to push the other guys out of the team 1 by 1 and not expect to be thrown on the filed just because he had a good pre season.

MadMike

Looked great so far. If it was Fred was showing such skill and composure in his first 3 friendlies everyone here would be polishing their knobs. He's like a new signing.

With Pogba and Fellaini back from hols only 4 days before the season starts, I'm not expecting them to start the first couple of games at least. I'm banking on a midfield of Matic-Pereira-Herrera/Fred to start us off. That'd be a brilliant opportunity for Pereira to show his quality in games that matter. Hope he takes it.

Alfie092

Playing like Carrick in terms of the quick, yet so simple, forward passes which is so effective in breaking the lines! :drool: That is something all our midfielders from last season lack apart from Pogba, but even he at times takes too many touches on the ball when it’s not needed! Fred from the limited amount of games I’ve seen him play, moves the ball forward quickly too but need to see if he can do this in a much more difficult league.

Still got a long way to go to get to Carrick’s prime level but Pereira has more flair than Carrick did, is quicker and more mobile too. Probably isn’t as good as Carrick defensively which is so important as a number 6, but that side of his game will come overtime but he needs to be playing regularly in that position, please do it Jose! Let’s not forget, since he is a creative player, he can also come in for Pogba/Fred as a number 8, so that would help him get more minutes and experience on the pitch.

Since he still isn’t as good as Matic defensively, I assume Matic would start ahead of him in the bigger games at least but then I do hope vs the bottom half teams in the PL, Pereira starts a lot of those games, as these are teams who tend to play more conservative against us and hold out for a point or try steal a win. We could do with Pereira’s creativity more than Matic being there. We dropped too many points last season vs the lesser teams and with a midfield 3 of Pogba, Pereira, Fred, we are surely likely to supply more for the likes of Sanchez and Lukaku and pick up those 3 points instead of just getting 1 or even 0 points! Whether that will be enough to topple City? I do not know, but sadly we also have to rely on them dipping in terms of performance levels from last season, because I don’t see any team hitting 100 points for a long, long time!

Ban

He looks so ellegant on the ball. It's early days but he should be first name from the bench to jump in midfield when needed.

kirk buttercup

looking forward to see him playing with Pogba and Fred . cracking little player as some have said its like a new signing that we should be very happy with .

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'll be honest, I genuinely thought that his time at United was up. Constant loans which weren't groundbreakingly successful, and with my assumption that Mourinho would be pissed with him for pushing for a loan last Summer - I didn't think he'd get another chance with us.

Last night's performance was lovely to watch. Really hope he gets chances this season. Had no idea he had so much grit in him in midfield - could easily play the Matic, Fred or Pogba role easily in our 3 man midfield.

Carrick being a coach will no doubt help him as well. I'm sure Carrick watched his performance last night thinking that he has what it takes to be a proper midfield general. Perfect man to be by Mourinho's side advising him to give Pereira a chance.

haram

Looks like he has been playing the position for a while. Credit to him, the coaching staff and probably Carrick in particular.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don't think he's anything like Carrick, there's only one player that springs to mind when you see his play style for me and that's Thiago (I also think he plays a bit like Tielemans) but he's got a long way to go before he reaches Thiago's level. He's got a lot of potential and I think one day he could be a very good player, he's impressed me on this tour so far and along with Sanchez I feel he's been one of our best players.

His goal this season should force himself to be first choice sub ahead of players like Fellaini and McTominay. His attitude has really stood out, always running, moving and looking for the ball. Having Carrick help him out could do wonders for him, on a side note Carrick seems to be starting off well in this role even Pogba mentioned how helpful Carrick's advice had been in the build up to the World Cup.

MJJ

I don't think he's anything like Carrick, there's only one player that springs to mind when you see his play style for me and that's Thiago (I also think he plays a bit like Tielemans) but he's got a long way to go before he reaches Thiago's level. He's got a lot of potential and I think one day he could be a very good player, he's impressed me on this tour so far and along with Sanchez I feel he's been one of our best players.

His goal this season should force himself to be first choice sub ahead of players like Fellaini and McTominay. His attitude has really stood out, always running, moving and looking for the ball. Having Carrick help him out could do wonders for him, on a side note Carrick seems to be starting off well in this role even Pogba mentioned how helpful Carrick's advice had been in the build up to the World Cup.
Yeah thiago is the best comparison for me, the only similarity to carrick is that both of them are deep lying playmakers.

SteveW

It's great to see him finally playing in his most natural position. The idea that he was a number 10 never made sense to me. He's always looked like a CM

sparx99

I’d play him just to have a competent corner/free kick taker in the team

R77

It's good that he's looking capable. Young players making the step up is more rewarding than muppetry imo.

You have to wonder, if our midfield options stay the same. As mentioned; Matic, Pogba, Herrera, Fred, Fellaini, Pereira. Probably one of those is looking at not even getting on the bench regularly. If all were to be in good fitness and form we'd be blessed with depth for once. Unlike at CB where there are many more question marks.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think he can move ahead of Herrera, who we could probably get away with selling.

Bestietom

He looks the part now. What I like about him most is he always wants to push forward and is excellent at passing through balls. Could be a match winner for us even from the bench. Please keep him here this season.

Pyro19

It's very pleasing to know both Pereira and Pogba have heaped praises upon Carrick for helping them out with the midfield role. He does remind me of a quicker Carrick in the way he's 2 footed and has that eye for a needle pass.

Hoof the ball

I'd venture that Carrick is perhaps largely involved with Pereira being given a consistent run-out as a deep-lying playmaker, as opposed to previous pre-seasons where he only featured there momentarily before being shuffled around the wing positions. It's a midfielders eye to see players who don't play in midfield who could transition there. What's more, this role suits his natural abilities, however, it is not a natural role for him since he doesn't have much experience in it, so, there's really no telling how much better Andreas can become in that role when he's had time to become fluid there.

MadMike

He's in a fork in the road where he can work more towards being a Verratti or a Thiago. I don't see blatant weaknesses in his game that would prevent him form going in either direction. He just needs to build the experience on that particular role instead of being shifted around.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Could be our best new addition to the squad this summer if he carries on as he's started.
Hopefully Matic and Fred are fit for Leicester, because a midfield of Pereria, Matic and Fred doesn't sound so bad.

Do you guys think we could play Pogba - Matic - Pereira midfield in some games as well? With Pereira playing the #6 role and Matic slightly ahead of him.

MadMike

Do you guys think we could play Pogba - Matic - Pereira midfield in some games as well? With Pereira playing the #6 role and Matic slightly ahead of him.
Subjective opinion, of course, but not for me.

Based on last season, however good Matic is at the shielding role, he does have two obvious disadvantages. One, he's quite a risk averse passer. And two, he's not fast enough and agile enough to play a box-to-box role. If you ask him to push up and press, he's gonna get gassed quite early in the game.

I think in games at Old Trafford against inferior opposition, when we know we'll dominate the possession, a midfield of Fred-Pereira-Pogba whould be very agile and quick to transition defence into offence. I would prefer that to be honest.

deafepl

Pogba and Fred ahead of Pereira in midfield would be very good to watch, we could use Pereira's passing and play through the line with passing and is more mobile, I can't see what Matic is doing better than Pereira apart from defensively.

Litch

Wasnt sure but if ever there was testimony for a good loan experience this is it. His all round game as improved and hes so much stronger. Head and shoulders out best player so far on tour. To me his biggest problem is Fred, as they both play in the same position.

MadMike

Pogba and Fred ahead of Pereira in midfield would be very good to watch, we could use Pereira's passing and play through the line with passing and is more mobile, I can't see what Matic is doing better than Pereira apart from defensively.
In terms of pure skills there's not much more, but there's other stuff that's surely highly valued by the manager. Matic is generally a very mature, calm and experienced player who doesn't lose his head, does not over-complicate things or play his team into trouble and he follows the instructions of the manager probably down to a T.

That's all stuff Pereira will probably (hopefully) get with experience and age. But it's still something Mou must consider. As with any young player, if he plays a lot for us, I'd expect to see his performances fluctuate a fair bit and him get flustered when things are not going for him and it's not his day. There were some glimpses of that during both his stints in Spain.

I'd be very shocked if Matic does not start the games against the other top 6 teams for example. And it'd be mostly down to these reasons, rather than pure footballing ability.

Subjective opinion, of course, but not for me.

Based on last season, however good Matic is at the shielding role, he does have two obvious disadvantages. One, he's quite a risk averse passer. And two, he's not fast enough and agile enough to play a box-to-box role. If you ask him to push up and press, he's gonna get gassed quite early in the game.

I think in games at Old Trafford against inferior opposition, when we know we'll dominate the possession, a midfield of Fred-Pereira-Pogba whould be very agile and quick to transition defence into offence. I would prefer that to be honest.
True - he looked knackered half way through the season. The reason for the suggestion was because I noticed Matic tends to roam forward a lot he doesn't really sit in front of defence like Carrick did or what Pereira is doing now.

Red_toad

I like the idea if him as a #6 we need one as Carrick has retired so it would be good if we could develop him in this role. The current midfielders we have are not suited to this role so it makes sense.
I'd say Matic would disagree with you.

MadMike

I beg to differ, he's gels our team together like no one else in the squad can. He can dictate a game from the midfield. So indeed he is a play maker, they set the tempo and string the passes around.
He plays it too safe to be classified a playmaker in my opinion. He mostly passes the ball from left to right. And yes that’s a form of playmaking if you want to be pedantic, but he’s not the quarterback-style playmaker like Carrick or Scholes were before him or some other greats like Pirlo, Busquets etc.

He’s too risk averse with his passing, Pogba’s the one taking all the risks.

I beg to differ, he's gels our team together like no one else in the squad can. He can dictate a game from the midfield. So indeed he is a play maker, they set the tempo and string the passes around.
Pogba has been the one doing those things that's why we struggle for creativity when he's out - Matic for me is a pure DM, there were numerous times last season when he slowed the game down at the wrong time by taking too many touches etc so he's not very good at dictating and setting the tempo.

MadMike

Pogba has been the one doing those things that's why we struggle for creativity when he's out - Matic for me is a pure DM, there were numerous times last season when he slowed the game down at the wrong time by taking too many touches etc so he's not very good at dictating and setting the tempo.
On of my complaints of Matic is that he technically only knows how to slow the game down. I’ve not seen much directness or urgency in his play throughout the season. How many times did he successfully play direct forward passes (like Pereira routinely does) or long balls behind the defence onto the path of rushing wingers (like Pogba or Carrick before him)

Yes he can calm a frenetic tempo down when needed, but can he drive a frenetic a tempo when that’s what’s required? I’ve not seen evidence of it. You’re not really controlling the tempo if you can only control it in one direction; by applying the brakes.

Danillaco

Finally, we'll have Pereira this season.

Matic, Pogba and him/Fred should be the starting midfield. even if Matic is out, maybe we could risk him and Fred with Pogba.

Alexis, Lukaku and one more at front three. Hopefully, a big name.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Finally, we'll have Pereira this season. Matic, Pogba and him/Fred should be the starting midfield. Alexis, Lukaku and one more at front three.
Hopefully Jose sees the same things we are seeing and gives him a fair chance at establishing himself. He’s looked really good and I think with a bit of patience and trust he can be fantastic for us.

ReallyUSA

Love his effort, he has an eye for passing. I think we are full in the midfield unless someone like Thiago comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.