Andreas Pereira signs new deal until June 2023

worldinmotion66

The same fans would be moaning when his contract expired and he walked on a free. This place is so toxic, it's getting difficult to filter through and find those with balanced viewpoints.

Nick7

By important I don't mean one of the first on the team sheets but someone who takes a spot in the squad and plenty of minutes. There's enough examples of a disproportion between the quality of a player and the standard required from someone getting the minutes/importance he is.

Naturally we l want him to do very well. I'm just saying the downside exists depending on the context.
Even still, he's never been that. Even under Ole he's been a rotation player and I would assume he will continue to be that. He's not really blocking any of our youngsters progression (Garner maybe, but Ole doesn't seem to rate Pereira as a #6 like Mou did for some bizarre reason) and won't block any players we may buy.

I suppose if Ole thinks we don't need to buy because of this contract it would be a massive downside. But I don't believe that to be the case based in my first two sentences.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He’s not fast enough to be a winger, nor very good at dribbling
Perhaps but since we're still using Mata and Lingard on the wing he could be simply better what we currently have there.

His crossing is quite good, certainly Lukaku could benefit, if he'll stay, of course.

MrBest

I still think he has the ability just not the application. I am hoping that securing his future, getting some minutes last year drives him forward. He has the potential to be a very good squad player for us. He just needs to have more confidence on the ball and become less careless with possession. Either way, if next year is not a good year, he will have a resale value so win win.

mu4c_20le

No brainer. He actually fits the young and hungry profile, and homegrown too. Just needs more PL experience and most importantly confidence.

Alabaster Codify7

Why not I guess. I dont think he's good enough but we need midfielders and he's not an awful squad/rotation option. Still, don't see him making many appearances really or we should hope not - he's not good enough to be a regular starter.

Paul778

Not the biggest fan. Hard to remember games where he's looked the part in a utd shirt.

If this was going to happen it would have been much better to give him a run out in some of the preseason games and see if right now he's got the drive and ability to warrant such a long commitment.

DoomSlayer

I'm happy that Pereira has extended. It's obvious he loves playing for United and is an extremely hard-working player with good technical quality.

He needs a bit more experience and confidence but there is great potential and we need to believe in him.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not the biggest fan. Hard to remember games where he's looked the part in a utd shirt.

If this was going to happen it would have been much better to give him a run out in some of the preseason games and see if right now he's got the drive and ability to warrant such a long commitment.
Ole is saying he wants to look at people in pre-season, yet hands out a contract here. As you say, see how he does on tour. If he does well, extend his contract. We are great at jumping the gun. Like the F.A. giving Ade Boothroyd a new contract before the U-21 tournament and they bombed.

freddie the red

Hmmmmm.....

Pereira/Brooks
Brooks/Periera

No contest, David Brooks everytime! Does the club even have him on their radar though? Would love to see him at United.

CM

The contract length isn't really the issue here. Pereira is a young player in a position where options are already scarce. It makes sense to tie him to a new deal. If things don't work out and he doesn't kick on, the club has the option to cash in instead of letting him walk for free.

MrSingh2002

If we weren't totally in trouble, he shouldve/would've been let go. Just shows where we are at the moment.

Infra-red

So, in the last 18 months, that's new contracts for all of Jones, Young, Martial, Rojo, Mata, Smalling, Shaw, Rashford and Pereira, with Lingard reportedly in negotiations, too?

How many of them are actually good enough to play for a side that purportedly has genuine League/Champions League aspirations?

Embracing mediocrity is not the way get ourselves back to the top.

Garebo

Fred must be sold or being given on loan to a PL club. He was behind Pereira in the pecking order last term. We can't afford to have both.

Lee565

Nothing wrong with this renewal, a decent squad member who maybe has the potential to become competitive for a regular spot but if he doesn't show his worth this season then flog him in the next rather than just holding onto another average player like we keep doing, should have sold him tbh off the back of his spell with Valencia, especially considering Mourinho showed that he had no intentions of using him even when the usual midfield regulars were extremely poor under him last season.

Stacks

Can't say I had any emotion but "here we go again". Deadwood FC would never get relegated because their individuals are so damn resilient. If we have a 2 goal lead in Europe, we must field Rojo Jones Andreas Young Mike Juan Nemanja Jesse and Co because they are immovable

Stacks

So, in the last 18 months, that's new contracts for all of Jones, Young, Martial, Rojo, Mata, Smalling, Shaw, Rashford and Pereira, with Lingard reportedly in negotiations, too?

How many of them are actually good enough to play for a side that purportedly has genuine League/Champions League aspirations?

The same players have failed for 6-4 years under multiple managers but this is positive

Stacks

The same fans would be moaning when his contract expired and he walked on a free. This place is so toxic, it's getting difficult to filter through and find those with balanced viewpoints.
They really wouldn't because he has never been good enough to play for us. Not even good enough for mid level Spanish teams

Eddy_JukeZ

All the deadwood getting extensions continues then.

All that bravado talk from OGS seems to be a pile of nonsense.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Such a nervous dude on the ball.
Yeah, when he's in possession his nervousness is very apparent. If he could compose himself, I think it'd really help him up his game.

I don't really rate him as being good enough here, but hopefully he proves all of us who have doubts wrong because there are signs of some quality.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Nothing wrong with this renewal, a decent squad member who maybe has the potential to become competitive for a regular spot but if he doesn't show his worth this season then flog him in the next rather than just holding onto another average player like we keep doing, should have sold him tbh off the back of his spell with Valencia, especially considering Mourinho showed that he had no intentions of using him even when the usual midfield regulars were extremely poor under him last season.
It just means that Gomes will not getting his chance next season after we renewed both Mata & Pereira who done almost nothing last season.

C'est Moi Cantona

Forgot we had him tbh, it's a bit scary that our current midfield is made up of the equally forgettable Fred, Matic, Mctominay, this guy, and Pogba, who will throw a tantrum if he ends up staying. Ole must be getting a bit jittery now.

Crashoutcassius

A significantly less effective player than lingard and yet fans wanted us to let lingard leave for free.

Has looked out of his depth to date but playing out of position in cm. Not sure he will ever be a good enough 10 but if he can grow into a versatile midfielder then can be useful to the squad

Needham

In what universe is Pereira the future. Except for a desperate club trying to keep hold of anyone they can.
Which surely we aren't. Anyone wants to leave we should just smooth the path to the front exit.

SAFMUTD

Once again we went soft of contract renewals, no other top club would had offer him a new contract. He has showned very little to hint that he could make it here, renewing this kind of underachieving players just lower the bar for next generations.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
While I can't agree with Jones,Rojo contacts i certainly see merit in this. He could be a solid player or could be shipped out for a decent fee.

haram

No brainer. He actually fits the young and hungry profile, and homegrown too. Just needs more PL experience and most importantly confidence.
What about quality.

Guy is one of the weakest midfielders we have had in many years, no exaggeration. Weak in quality I mean.

AFC NimbleThumb

Was woefully unimpressed with his performances last season.

Was quite looking forward to his return but I think the fact he’s signed a new contract with us in July due to no other clubs obviously being that interested shows a lot.

He’d be a great signing in a support role to a successful & settled side or a good player at a lower half side.

I was confused as to what he did well last season - looked less composed than Fred & that’s saying something.

Carl S Bridge

Maybe the club doesn't want to let players leave for free?????

starman

The state of some of the fans in here, they are the want everything now generation....Ole is the only manager thats really given him any game time and if hes not lighting up the world in that short space of time, he must be mediocre...
The guys only 23 and deserves a full season around the first team. If hes not deemed good enough at the end then maybe think about getting a decent fee then, rather than letting him walk for free had he not signed.

hobbers

He is young, but in terms of what he's showed for us on the pitch, he's more of a Tunnicliffe than even a Cleverley.

mu4c_20le

What about quality.

Guy is one of the weakest midfielders we have had in many years, no exaggeration. Weak in quality I mean.
Its his first full season in the league and though he started off very shaky and nervous, i thought he got better and finished the season strongly, even getting ahead of Fred in the pecking order.