Andreas Pereira vs Jesse Lingard

Alabaster Codify7

Aw, at least the response from him was nice.

....he has had plenty of chances though. I remember there were rumours that Pereira was sulking a lot about a lack of chances in Jose's final (half) season. He can't say the same this time around.

His attitude is fine, he's a decent bloke it seems, his talent level is borderline League 1 though that's the issue.

Stadjer

Same, he has a good mentality.
He does, also when he is on the pitch he does what he can. He atleast tries to be usefull while Lingard just tries to hide. He makes a lot of mistakes and such but in my opinion that is still better than not trying to do anything.

I dont understand why people want to get rid of Pereira over Lingard. About two fecking years ago Lingard was better/more usefull than Pereira but that has been a long time ago. Right now Pereira, even with all his shortcomings, is better and more usefull than Lingard. Younger too and he also seems to annoy the fans a lot less than Lingard does.

If it was up to me i would try everything possible to get rid of Lingard. First one to offer anything can get him. Not so much with Pereira.. if any other club wants to buy him i wont stop him from leaving but i wouldnt actively try to get rid of him. Well.. not until better players are signed atleast.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The thing is with Pereira, is that i actually think he's a good player on a technical level. It's his decision making and footballing brain that lets him down. He's good with the ball at his feet, but he constantly makes the wrong decisions. The wrong pass. Holding on to the ball for too long. Shooting instead of passing. You name it, he doesn't it. Obviously that's a huge part of the game and i'm not sure if he can improve on that now.

As for Lingard, he just look done to me. Shot to bits. Absolutely zero confidence and i genuinely can't see him coming back from this. I know he obviously loves the club, but he looks as if he needs a change as well. The best thing for both him and the club would be to part ways in the summer.

Aw, at least the response from him was nice.

....he has had plenty of chances though. I remember there were rumours that Pereira was sulking a lot about a lack of chances in Jose's final (half) season. He can't say the same this time around.
He does, also when he is on the pitch he does what he can. He atleast tries to be usefull while Lingard just tries to hide. He makes a lot of mistakes and such but in my opinion that is still better than not trying to do anything.

I dont understand why people want to get rid of Pereira over Lingard. About two fecking years ago Lingard was better/more usefull than Pereira but that has been a long time ago. Right now Pereira, even with all his shortcomings, is better and more usefull than Lingard. Younger too and he also seems to annoy the fans a lot less than Lingard does.

If it was up to me i would try everything possible to get rid of Lingard. First one to offer anything can get him. Not so much with Pereira.. if any other club wants to buy him i wont stop him from leaving but i wouldnt actively try to get rid of him. Well.. not until better players are signed atleast.
I agree - Pereira has been really bad this season but its not through a lack of trying.

At times i can see what hes trying to do but it doesn't come off and theres times when his decision making has been poor. I think his problems could be solved through coaching as he's shown moments of quality. I think Lingard should go in the summer and Pereira should get another season to improve as this is is first full season with us.

SAFMUTD

Both should be out in the summer, no matter which fee just sell them. Neither is going to get better and they are just taking minutes away from youngsters that may actually come out good, even if we sign no one at least we may give those minutes to someone else.

AshRK

One is a useless player (Lingard) and the other is the most pointless player to play for us (Periera). Both are crap and should be off. Feck having them as squad players too.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Ex manager of Club Brugge has come out and said Perreira wouldn’t get into their current starting 11. Pathetic footballer

thepolice123

I rated Pereira since he was in the youth team, and I had time and patience for him until not so long ago, but the man is such an undefined player at 24. He's spent the last years playing in different roles and it's like he doesn't know to play in any of them at the moment.

In Spain he played mainly on both wings for Granada and Valencia if I'm not wrong. Mourinho used him in a double pivot for some games. Then he played in a midfield three for Ole, and this season mainly as a number 10. I don't free the guy from blame because if he had the quality to play in any of these roles he would have showed something solid at some point, but I think the way p career has gone hasn't helped him at all.

I think it would be good for the man to take a step back, go to a lower team and/or league and specialize on something. He's got certain tools, the occasional cross or set piece delivery and good fighting spirit, but he's yet to define himself. I don't like Lingard either and I'd sell him as soon as the transfer window opens, but at least you know his profile as a player. If someone ask me about Pereira and what kind of player he is, his best position, I don't really know what to say.

He isn't a productive attacking player, or someone with great movement off the ball. He lacks explosivity on the wings, and good positioning and ball management to play at the base of midfield. Some years ago I expected him to become a ball playing number 6 but now I think it's probably his worst position. I'm sorry for the guy and I appreciate his efforts, but I think a new challenge elsewhere would be good for everyone involved.
Don't recall him playing under Mou.

Ole has tried him in every attacking position possible and he has struggled to impress. He needs to be a benchwarmer or leave the club.

SAFMUTD

Ex manager of Club Brugge has come out and said Perreira wouldn’t get into their current starting 11. Pathetic footballer
Not that it counts for much, but that level of disrespect is quite something :lol:

redshaw

Yep, good mentality and is always trying, has good skills on the training pitch but like many people with fantastic tricks and skills they can't apply that to the game. He's had many chances at various clubs. Said it before, he's like a very poor mans Coutinho, he can hit a shot once in a while and come up with a good bit of skill but we can't wait 15 games for it and how long do we wait till it clicks for him as a senior professional just like we can't keep waiting for Lingard to return to some kind of form. United have been far too charitable already.

It's second or third choice or find another club and play regularly. I expect to him become effective offensively lower down the leagues, thought last year maybe the Belgian league or something but it's funny to see him in the last game and read the Brugge comments.

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Pereira seems to have ability but just doesn't seem to have that bit extra to be able to use it effectively. He occasionally plays a fantastic ball or cross...too often for it to be a fluke but not often enough to compensate for him going missing in games. I don't know if there's a way to get better out of him. Can't really think of a role hed be suited to and we've tried him in several.

Lingard hasn't been effective in a very long time. Think you have to go back to Jose's second season.

Phil Osophy

Don't recall him playing under Mou.

Ole has tried him in every attacking position possible and he has struggled to impress. He needs to be a benchwarmer or leave the club.
He played under Mourinho in the first games of last season, after having a decent pre-season, but he didn't last much in the lineups.

Checking now he started the first game against Leicester and the next one against Brighton, but it was a midfield 3 and not 4-2-3-1 as I thought it was. He played as an anchor in front of defence though, so that's another different role.

I saw his tweet or instagram saying how he wants to make it here, and I feel sorry for the guy. He clearly wants to succeed at United and he's giving his all, but I think he's losing all his credit as the season goes by. Still some months ahead to show us something, but I think he's in a weak position at the moment.

thepolice123

He played under Mourinho in the first games of last season, after having a decent pre-season, but he didn't last much in the lineups.

Checking now he started the first game against Leicester and the next one against Brighton, but it was a midfield 3 and not 4-2-3-1 as I thought it was. He played as an anchor in front of defence though, so that's another different role.

I saw his tweet or instagram saying how he wants to make it here, and I feel sorry for the guy. He clearly wants to succeed at United and he's giving his all, but I think he's losing all his credit as the season goes by. Still some months ahead to show us something, but I think he's in a weak position at the moment.
Didn't know Mou played him in the anchor role. That is bizarre at best. He is the last person you'd expect Mou to play in that role.

Personally I think we keep him for another year. He is still a useful player and had some decent performances against the top 6. Lingard on the other hand will definitely be gone in the summer.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We need to wish well players who are giving their best, but are still underperforming and move them along to other teams. Nothing against Perreira's attitude, but he has been given ample opportunity and clearly doesn't deliver for us what we need. Cut them loose, wish them luck elsewhere

NewGlory

This reminded me of a post on reddit concerning an interview PSG's GK Bulka made. He talked about how Morata was affected by the criticism he recieved from fans while at Chelsea, apparently his game as well as his training suffered due to the fan criticism.
Has Morata's performance improved at Atletico? I don't watch their games but his stats look unimpressive, unless he is injured. I must admit that I can't feel much sympathy for a professional player at the highest level who blames their underperformance on pressure from criticism. You have to deal with it, use it as inspiration and prove that your are worthy. How else do they expect they get to play at a top European club on multi-million salaries? This isn't some junior league.

RedTiger

Half mast
Has Morata's performance improved at Atletico? I don't watch their games but his stats look unimpressive, unless he is injured. I must admit that I can't feel any sympathy for a professional player at the highest level who blames their underperformance on pressure from criticism. You have to deal with it, use it as inspiration and prove that your are worth. How else do they expect they get to play at a top European club? This isn't some junior league.
I understand you, but these players are still human and reading constant vitriol on social media has got to be heavy psychologically. Personally if I was a footballer I wouldn't have any social media presence, feck the extra cash.

NewGlory

I understand you, but these players are still human and reading constant vitriol on social media has got to be heavy psychologically. Personally if I was a footballer I wouldn't have any social media presence, feck the extra cash.
I agree. If you cannot deal with it - go offline, but if you are online - you have to deal with it. Has become part of the requirement for a professional athlete, at this point (or: any more-or less well-known person/celebrity to be fair). Some of them also make enough cash to hire decent social media managers to do it for them, if they really have to have online presence?

Ace of Spades

Both are not good enough unfortunately.

Periera has some talent, and his work rate and effort are never in question, and he does not hide and does take responsibility, but is really bad at decision making. He almoat always makes the wrong choices and picks the wrong passes, and at the wrong time.

Lingard had good movement and could use his pace to make space gor himself. He also had a good shot, which has gone completely from him it seems. He also seems to have lost his focus on football and seems more concerned with his 'brand'.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Says a lot about them when you see the immediate impact Bruno has made. Bruno is brilliant, but we were fecking dreadful in attack without him.

DCP

Don’t rate either but Jesse is twice the player Pereira is. Which makes him really bad.

James Ward

I'd rather what I leave in the toilet in the number 10 position than these two.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think he had a decent cameo really, but with the way he plays he really need to score a few of those shots he takes. He has a great shot on him, but he is just not hitting the target and the ball right at the moment. No matter how bad he plays, how pathetic are those attention seeking jerks abusing a player on their social media page. I find that incredibly weird. Breaking the golden rule, as not one of them would enjoy it if random people visit their page to tell them how worthless they are every day.

Suedesi

We need to buy Ilicic ffs - watching Atalanta play is like watching Barcelona 2009 compared to these clowns.

Xaviboy

Grealish in and Lingard out simple as that. Perreria can slog it out a fight for his place or sell on to La Liga/ Italian club.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
As it stands I'd play Williams in place of either of them. Out of position, yes, would get booked every game, yes, but I'd still do it.
Or better yet, Garner or Gomes.

Red00012

Get rid of both and get Grealish. One in and an upgrade is better than 2 nobodys

Footyislife

Loan Pereira till he performs or sell him. I've always been on the teach Lingard how to play a RB or sell him bandwagon.

Mata, Pereira, and Lingard are not the level of players we need at this club.

Footyislife

Loan Pereira till he performs or sell him. I've always been on the teach Lingard how to play a RB or sell him bandwagon.

Mata, Pereira, and Lingard are not the level of players we need at this club.

SAFMUTD

Loan Pereira till he performs or sell him.
He's had two loans already, he's 24 and looks nowhere ready to be part of the first team. Im of the opinion that we should always have squad players that can become first team players if needed, Pereira is not one of those, sell asap.