g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Andy "Big Baby" Robertson

The Siege

I for one would enjoy the uber protected referees and their arbitrary judgements of what counts as violent conduct bite them on the behind for a change.

kidbob

1. Make it so only captains can approach officials. Card anyone who breaks this rule. Red card for abuse.

2. Make refs have to explain any calls they get wrong. Stop protecting them from their mistakes. Also stop this stupid clear and obvious bullshit and overrule wrong calls.

3. Robertson is a twat.

Mmm-Qatarian

I think Robertson's as much of a tw@t as the next guy but being serious for a second here, that's absolutely not on from the fourth official. He has to lose his job.

glasgow 21

I think Robertson's as much of a tw@t as the next guy but being serious for a second here, that's absolutely not on from the fourth official. He has to lose his job.
Correct, hate Robertson, hate Liverpool but a spade is a spade if that was a player on the Official then basically the ban would be horrendous but the other way about is the sack, surely. I couldn't care less about any official ending up at asda on monday filling shelves after the debacle this year with United decisions and when you look at others i.e like Brighton against spurs this weekend and Wolves v liverpool i have no sympathy for them whatsoever.

Abraxas

1. Make it so only captains can approach officials. Card anyone who breaks this rule. Red card for abuse.

2. Make refs have to explain any calls they get wrong. Stop protecting them from their mistakes. Also stop this stupid clear and obvious bullshit and overrule wrong calls.

3. Robertson is a twat.
1 and 3 - agreed. What's the point in number 2? I've never quite understood what is supposed to come out of ref interviews or post game explanations that is beneficial.

It's not going to make fans feel any better when the ref comes out and says 'I gave a decision against your team because of X.' If they become entrenched in their position or refer to the rulebook it won't be accepted graciously by fans, and if refs come out every weekend self-flagellating live on TV what good is that? What good is a sorry going to do for my team and is it really a good look for what are supposed to be authority figures in the game? The thing about football fans is you're never, ever going to please them.

Just pointless in my opinion. What we should consider is getting a mic on them. It will make footballers think twice about surrounding the ref and talking rubbish when it is broadcast. It will bring a light to that and hopefully increase the refs authority. Also, I think it eliminates some of the frustration fans have where they think these refs are unaccountable. Fans would immediately have the rationale behind decisions.

Nick7

I’d say the lineman will get properly punished. But it looked fairly accidental. Shrugging Robertson off gone horribly wrong.

Baneofthegame

Well just waking along if someone grabs your arm and you try to get them off you fling your arm forward which brings your arm/elbow up, which is the only thing I can think of to honour this hero.......

Mmm-Qatarian

For those who think this was nothing, the angle here pretty decisively shows that the fourth official swung his elbow up fairly hard:

Again, Robertson's an arsehole but we wouldn't tolerate this if it were one of our players and we certainly wouldn't tolerate it if it were the other way around.

C'est Moi Cantona

He was just shrugging him off, maybe thinking Robinson was going to put his hands on him more than he did, and so it looked a bit worse than it would have done otherwise.

Either way Robinson had no right to be anyway near him in the way he was.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He was loosening himself from Robertson's grab.

That's what his lawyer will be telling him.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
For those who think this was nothing, the angle here pretty decisively shows that the fourth official swung his elbow up fairly hard:

Again, Robertson's an arsehole but we wouldn't tolerate this if it were one of our players and we certainly wouldn't tolerate it if it were the other way around.
Very satisfying to click between the 3 and 4 second mark repeatedly.

mu4c_20le

He was just shrugging him off, maybe thinking Robinson was going to put his hands on him than he did, and so it looked a bit worse than it would have done otherwise.

Either way Robinson had no right to be anyway near him in the way he was.
This. No way he's daft enough to actually aim that elbow at his head, and it looked like he was apologetic afterwards.

crossy1686

career ending

If you run up to someone, get in their face and grab their arm, a brushed elbow is getting off lightly. It's handbags at best, not sure why there's this constant need to 'cancel' people instead of everyone just getting a slap on the wrist and getting on with it.

Giggsyking

If one of our players hold the ref by his arms. I wouldn't defend them. Robertson was asking for that. Yes, the the ref shouldn't reacted that way and probably will get a punishment, but the players should stop putting their hands on the refs.

crossy1686

career ending
If one of our players hold the ref by his arms. I wouldn't defend them. Robertson was asking for that. Yes, the the ref shouldn't reacted that way and probably will get a punishment, but the players should stop putting their hands on the refs.
Yep, I don't get why people think they can just start putting hands on people and expect zero consequences. I'd say the same for our players, you start grabbing people and shouting in their face then what do you realistically expect to happen from that situation? Best case scenario?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Just heard about this and based on the reports came into the thread expecting a Mitrovic style grab followed by Robertson getting his head taken off.

Is this it? Literally nothing happens. There's not even enough in it for it to be funny. It's just embarrassing on Robertson's part and that's about it.

macheda14

Hopefully not. If someone grabbed me and put me in fear I’d react the same way.

If the FA has anything about them they should made an example out of Robertson. Especially given what happened with Mitrovic.

No wonder the linesman reacted that way.
No honestly that’s a stupid position to take. Robertson should have been red carded if he approached him in an aggressive way. But refs are of course held to a much higher standard

noodlehair

"It's like..."

It was nothing though wasn't it? Does he even actually touch him?

I'd hope none of our players were unbelievably dumb enough to go up and grab an official the same week as a player gets an 8 game ban for grabbing an official. And I doubt I'd be in uproar if one of them maybe possibly got touched on the chin by the linesman's arm. Just stay the feck away from him before you get yourself sent off.

I'd be more annoyed at being 2-0 down, 13 points of 4th place and one of our players wasting energy crying about something as irrelevant as this when they clearly weren't hurt at all. I mean how exactly would getting a linesman sent off or banned help?

Just put a big target on your back for eveey official for the rest of the season why don't you? What an absolute moron Robertson is

Pickle85

Jeez, the ref "aimed out his elbow and went upwards with sharp force" about as much as Robertson grabbed him. It's looks like a fairly standard annoyed "get your fecking hands off me" jerk of the arm.
Absolutely

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I’d rather my Scotland captain - an aggressive and needly player - had the consistency of character and metal to just shrug that off, rather than cry about it.

Herculean

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

3. Robertson is a twat.
4. Make Kidbob president of PGMOL!

macheda14

If we take the bias out of this, if that had happened to one of our players we would be fuuuuuming.

I do love Keene’s reaction though

AndySmith1990

There's feck all to it. It's only bored angry men online who enjoy drama that make these sorts of non-events into events

LARulz

If we take the bias out of this, if that had happened to one of our players we would be fuuuuuming.

Pretty much this. Also if a player did that to another player it would/should be a red card

AndySmith1990

If it happened to one of our players we'd only be fuming because of the bias. If you take the bias out you are left with something completely trivial