Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Di Maria, Mata, Rooney, Kagawa, Van Persie, Januzaj.

It will be absolutely fecking mental if we can't find a combination of those players that can consistently create chances.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm sorry but in two games so far, against two of the weaker sides in the league, our midfield has been completely over ran. That needs sorted ASAP.
we were pony today, but since when was Sunderland away any type of banker game? Go and check their results against top teams at home the last season or so.

bugmat

Di Maria is the kind of player who can create something out of nothing, he's exactly what we need right now. Someone to bring life back into our attacking play. Him and Januzaj will be such an exciting prospect, they're both excellent at taking on defenders although Di Maria's decision making in obviously much better.
He is PART of what we need (the pace) - we lack the grit and fight parts still. Fletcher and Clev couldn't run, tackle or pass their way out of a wet paper bag*

*copyright Wu-Tang Clan

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
How anyone can watch today's game and not think getting a player like Di Maria in is just as important as any other position is beyond me.
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I'm sorry but in two games so far, against two of the weaker sides in the league, our midfield has been completely over ran. That needs sorted ASAP.
And against two of the weaker sides in the league, I can count about one genuine chance from open play created - and it resulted in a goal today. That needs sorting ASAP.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Ducker isn't impressed...

Every "expert" seems to sticking their oar in with this standard opinion. Our midfield is shit, but so are our wingers. Both need to be replenished. We have a soft midfield, and we have no pace. If we had signed Vidal today, the same experts would probably be writing the same tweets/articles lambasting United not having enough pace.

Verminator

I was of the Ducker way of thinking, until Tony V and Smashley reminded me that there should be attacking options out wide, that actually attack.
Today was a masterclass in ineffective wingplay.
The fact that Valencia got the assist should be seen as accidental, because he couldn't/wouldn't even try to do it again.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
How exactly doesn't Di Maria fit in? Firstly he fulfils part of Van Gaal's vision in that he's flexible, he can play wing or as the 3rd, more offensive midfielder in a 4-3-3 and you could probably get him to play LWB if needed. Secondly he's quick, we need pace. Thirdly he's good, you always could do with someone who is good.

nemanja15

It seems I'm in the minority in thinking that £63.9m, after add-ons, is a decent deal. For a player who's in the top 10 in world football, who's going to be at the peak of his powers for the next few years, and who is going to be a shoo-in to play week-in, week-out.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Of course it does. It shocking that we've let it get to this stage. But wide areas is part of the midfield two and Di Maria chases and harries better than most midfielders so he'll improve it big time. Yes, we still need to sign someone who starts from deeper and should have already, but I don't see why that means we shouldn't sign a top top player like Di Maria who will improve us big time.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
We still really need a midfielder. Our options in that area are pub league quality. If we don't bring in another quality player there, we are well and truly fecked.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It seems I'm in the minority in thinking that £63.9m, after add-ons, is a decent deal. For a player who's in the top 10 in world football, who's going to be at the peak of his powers for the next few years, and who is going to be a shoo-in to play week-in, week-out.
50m would have been ideal. Don't really care 10 million here or there for a player of this quality.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The thread title keeps changing every couple of minutes now!

Manucho the boss

That's before add-ons I thought.

Does anyone fear it'll be a Herrera-Di Maria centre mid partnership for a few weeks until Carrick is back? They both have good stamina but I just think that's far too soft a centre, someone like Yaya Toure would brush them aside. Hopefully we buy a real centre mid.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Journalists definitely out to get on Woodward's case it feels like. As if they can't understand that we'd change formations with better personnel. Or that transfers have to be made in a certain order. We're all annoyed that the transfer business hasn't been done yet but since it's not Sept 2 yet, you'd think they would avoid stating the obvious over and over

fecking cnuts jumping all over the tactics and formation this season too, after giving Moyes a free pass last year.

Danny Boi

Great to see this deal done.Still need to add 2 CMs, a sense of purpose and a bit of confidence to the squad though.

FromTheBench

We still really need a midfielder. Our options in that area are pub league quality. If we don't bring in another quality player there, we are well and truly fecked.
We definitely need another but get Carrick back playing well and Herera settled and it's decent.

Beyond that though is bit of a hole.

We ideally need a Vidal or a ball playing #6 ASAP.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Does anyone fear it'll be a Herrera-Di Maria centre mid partnership for a few weeks until Carrick is back? They both have good stamina but I just think that's far too soft a centre, someone like Yaya Toure would brush them aside. Hopefully we buy a real centre mid.
We don't know how long Ander is going to be out yet.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Am I the only one who thinks he's being massively overhyped on here. Very good player, but people describing him as "top 10 in world football" are in for a nasty shock
I don't see anyone describing him as top 10 in world football.

edit: never mind, I just did. I think he's the best winger after Ronaldo, Bale and Robben.

Silverman

It's not like we are spending all our transfer funds on Di Maria. We do have the money if LVG wants a CM.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?

We only play one team in the league with Yaya in the middle. That MF partnership would be more than enough to get us points against most teams. It would have been miles ahead of today's pairing

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
If the window closes without us adding anyone else he may have a point, but I'm still not sure what top drawer CM options are open to us.

Not to mention we did very much need a top class winger.
I'd settle for decent midfielders right now.

One or two decent midfielders would be an immeasurable upgrade on that pathetic stuff that Cleverley and Fletcher serve up.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Am I the only one who thinks he's being massively overhyped on here. Very good player, but people describing him as "top 10 in world football" are in for a nasty shock
Also dont think he is top10 in the world, I would come up with Ronaldo, Messi, Iba, Suarez, Robben, Bale, Neuer, Lahm, Iniesta, Modric, Yaya above him to be honest.

MkPaul

learnt from the best
Di Maria & Khedira would be a great end to the window. I really hope we get a CM as well or we will still struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.