Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroStu

I don't mean this in a dickish way but i think we shouldn't judge Zaha too harshly until he actually plays a few games for us. Lets not forget he was arguably our best player in pre-season last year and then never got a look in when the season started.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We need somebody other than Welbeck with genuine pace. I was watching the American broadcast, you know because I'm from America (sue me), and I'm not sure who, but one of the announcers was saying that while Di Maria is a great player we needed to sign somebody with genuine pace. I kind of wanted to bang my head against the wall after hearing him say that.

I really hope we don't sell Welbeck since I think he's a better partner for both RVP and Rooney than either of them are for each other. I also think he's one of the few genuinely pacy and athletic players we have, who while not being a great natural goal scorer is fantastic in build up play and I think can be a good option through the middle in 3-5-2 or as a wide player in 4-3-3.
I presume that was Danny Mills. People were talking about it in the matchday thread. He's an idiot, don't take any notice.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't mean this in a dickish way but i think we shouldn't judge Zaha too harshly until he actually plays a few games for us. Lets not forget he was arguably our best player in pre-season last year and then never got a look in when the season started.
He wasn't anywhere close to either Lingard or Januzaj last year in pre season. And yes maybe it's too soon, but let's also not forget that he got sent out on loan to an awful Cardiff side who got relegated and couldn't make the starting 11.

RetroStu

He wasn't anywhere close to either Lingard or Januzaj last year in pre season. And yes maybe it's too soon, but let's also not forget that he got sent out on loan to an awful Cardiff side who got relegated and couldn't make the starting 11.
Many people on this forum thought he was one of our best players in that pre-season, some even thinking he was our best player.

I'm just saying that he's hardly even played a 'real' game for us, that maybe his own fault, i don't know but i just find it harsh to judge a player who hasn't even played for us yet.

Patchbeard

Will need to bulk up.

Seriously though, he's one of the skinniest players I've ever seen, but that is a part of what makes him such a great player as he's so agile.

We'll still be told he's too lightweight by Danny Mills and Robbie Savage though.

And if we play him in CM there will be uproar from british pundits that he's a winger so why did we buy him to play him in a position he's never played.

Coca Cola

One balled wonder
Completely agree with you. I don't give a shit if we concede 3 goals. As long as we score 4!
So you want United to be like Kevin Keegan's Newcastle or last season's Liverpool. That style of play is fun but it's not sustainable, it's not a winning style. Defending is important whether you like it or not.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is this your new home after your ban from a certain thread? Don't worry, we're keeping it warm for you ;)
It's a bit like @Cina and his parents house. He still calls it "home" but the authorities have told him he's not allowed within 500 meters of it.

Dylan94

I'm just hoping he be like; "guys, I got this" and scores a hat trick against Burnley to win us the game single handedly.

RedDF

XabiAlonso: Thanks for all noodle! I wish you the best, even in the Man. Utd :) never forget the zigzag extra time in Lisbon.

United22

Fletcher looked like Xavi in pre season. Let it sink in

Cina

It's a bit like @Cina and his parents house. He still calls it "home" but the authorities have told him he's not allowed within 500 meters of it.
I will thread ban you from here too, and then you'll have nothing Pexbo, NOTHING.

Castia

It's obvious we need another midfielder and defender but our wingers have been shit for 2 years, Young and Valencia are nowhere near the level we should have here, both are incredibly average players. People complain about the midfield but I could probably count on one hand the amount of good games our wingers have had in the past 2 seasons.

Cina

How anyone can watch today's game and not think getting a player like Di Maria in is just as important as any other position is beyond me.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
How anyone can watch today's game and not think getting a player like Di Maria in is just as important as any other position is beyond me.
It's baffling.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Di Maria is the kind of player who can create something out of nothing, he's exactly what we need right now. Someone to bring life back into our attacking play. Him and Januzaj will be such an exciting prospect, they're both excellent at taking on defenders although Di Maria's decision making in obviously much better.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I agree with him. Di Maria is world class but we have more pressing issues.
All issues need to resolved - pace, defending, midfield etc - solving one doesn't mean it prevents us from solving another.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Ducker isn't impressed...

If the window closes without us adding anyone else he may have a point, but I'm still not sure what top drawer CM options are open to us.

Not to mention we did very much need a top class winger.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Di Maria may well be playing in CM for us anyway. IF he was Madrids engine, why can't he be Manchesters?.

I think we can comfortably play a 4-3-3 when we have all our players back fit, or play a 4-2-3-1 with him higher up.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm amazed there's so many people who think our wings aren't/weren't an issue. Valencia and Young, along with Januzaj are our only options out wide, and we have absolutely no pace in the attack or somebody who can dribble past players and run with the ball. No wonder Mata/Rooney/Van Persie can't work, there's nobody there to stretch the opposition.

Bwuk

Ozil has better close control and is a better passer than Di Maria. But the latter is much quicker, much fitter, has c

All issues need to resolved - pace, defending, midfield etc - solving one doesn't mean it prevents us from solving another.
I'm sorry but in two games so far, against two of the weaker sides in the league, our midfield has been completely over ran. That needs sorted ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.