Angel Di Maria | Performances | Wife: "He only joined United for money. The food was disgusting. The women look like porcelain"

Jaxa

I despise Di Maria but LVG was fecking toxic,

How many ex players have complained about this guy ? No one buys into LVG Hype more than him, bitter old fool who clearly struggled to adapt to modern day football, similar to Mourinho,

The way he still complains about his tenure here like it was all roses and he was hard done by, horrendous football, dinosaur manager mentality and just a very strange human being.

sugar_kane

Di Maria gets a lot of hate round here for how he left United, but had he been coached by someone who wasn't a total maniac like LVG he might have stayed a while longer and been quite an asset to us in an area solely lacking.

Yeah he's clearly get a bit of a resentment towards United, and that comes across in the #7 shirt comment, but I think a lot of that is driven by the abuse he gets from our fans.

jackal&hyde

Fair point about LVG. We really messed up with that appointment didnt we? He absolutely gutted the team and brought in so much shite, it took us years to clean up his mess!

Rojo
Di Maria
Victor Valdes
Depay
Darmian
Schweinsteiger
Schneiderlin
Martial
Falcao
Herrera
Shaw
Romero
Blind

Out of that list, which one's were a success/relative sucess - i'd say shaw, romero and possibly blind and martial?
I can see the point for all of them tbh. The main issues I see is not so much in quality but a few of them, Di Maria, Schweinsteiger, Valdes, Falcao maybe, did not really want to be here and more interested in money imo then fighting for trophies. Sanchez and arguably Lukaku were the same. Big, big money for players that were not 100% committed.

The others, it was more a question of being good enough or not. It turned out only Shaw and Martial (I know everyone hates him now) were.

RUCK4444

How many ex players have complained about this guy ? No one buys into LVG Hype more than him, bitter old fool who clearly struggled to adapt to modern day football, similar to Mourinho,

The way he still complains about his tenure here like it was all roses and he was hard done by, horrendous football, dinosaur manager mentality and just a very strange human being.
Yeah I hate Di Maria but LVG was fecking disastrous for us.

I’ve said before many times that imo he was the most detrimental appointment we made since SAF retired, including Moyes and Mourinho obviously.

Shite style of play, took us in totally the wrong direction, signed shite players to fit that system, bored us to death every game. Put us back further than the other two did.

Robbie Boy

I’ve said before many times that imo he was the most detrimental appointment we made since SAF retired, including Moyes and Mourinho obviously.

Shite style of play, took us in totally the wrong direction, signed shite players to fit that system, bored us to death every game. Put us back further than the other two did.
The funny thing is, on here, LvG generally gets billed as being a-bit shit, but a good guy. I think his man management was absolutely woeful. Going from LvG and Mourinho to Ole in that aspect, is like going from Benteke to Haaland in a footballing capacity.

tomaldinho1

LVG was just too honest and player power is too different for his approach to work, i's a bit of a stretch to call him toxic. Mou 3rd season was toxic. If you actually read what ADM is saying, it just shows the problems the old school disciplinarian managers have these day - essentially that LVG didn't praise ADM enough (or at least as much as ADm thought he should do) and wanted to show him what he could do better.

He would have been the right signing about 10 years earlier..as it was his appointment followed by Mou just made it a waste of time. Although he did win the FA cup so fair play on that front.

RUCK4444

The funny thing is, on here, LvG generally gets billed as being a-bit shit, but a good guy. I think his man management was absolutely woeful. Going from LvG and Mourinho to Ole in that aspect, is like going from Benteke to Haaland in a footballing capacity.
Yeah absolutely agree. He was a massively detrimental appointment and doesn’t get billed as such.

Robbie Boy

Yeah absolutely agree. He was a massively detrimental appointment and doesn’t get billed as such.
Absolutely! Just to add though, Di Maria himself came across as a toxic prick and I was delighted to see the back of him. He's a good player, but not one I would want at the club.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Both were horrible. Everyone knew what kind of player Di Maria was, Van Gaal even named him as the player he wanted to play 4-3-3 and then moaned about him giving the ball away.

If he wanted player who didn't take risks and played short passes, he should have signed Cleverley.

lsd

The Oracle
Quite surprised to hear he was unhappy at United never got that impression from him at all since he left

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It’s actually interesting and surprising at the same time that out of all managers we had since SAF, our ex players complain most about the one who actually was a coach rather than a manager. Usually players should like his coaching (and a lot of ex players do, but not our ex players) - probably in his latter years the human aspect was completely missing with him which is a shame.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I can see the point for all of them tbh. The main issues I see is not so much in quality but a few of them, Di Maria, Schweinsteiger, Valdes, Falcao maybe, did not really want to be here and more interested in money imo then fighting for trophies. Sanchez and arguably Lukaku were the same. Big, big money for players that were not 100% committed.

The others, it was more a question of being good enough or not. It turned out only Shaw and Martial (I know everyone hates him now) were.
Falcao was on loan with option to buy, because signing him was a big risk after he did his ACL. I'm 99% sure he did not get a raise by going to United, we just paid Monaco a hefty loan fee.

Most of LVG's signings were terrible. Shaw was the only good one, and I think that deal was done prior to his appointment. We got some mileage out of Herrera, Blind and Romero. They were decent.

The average Caf transfer muppet could've done a better a job with 200m. And that not being a exaggeration is the sad reality.

Fellaini hoofball still gives me nightmares :(

RUCK4444

Absolutely! Just to add though, Di Maria himself came across as a toxic prick and I was delighted to see the back of him. He's a good player, but not one I would want at the club.
Oh yeah, no excuse for Di Maria being a scumbag. Couldn't wait for him to leave in the end.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

No. Mourinho was the worst of them all by a distance.

VojjE

Acting like he didn't give a shit about the #7 shirt, as if he didn't get it tattooed on his fecking arm. :lol:

cyberman

He gave up a few months in. He never wanted to come here and waited out a year for his move to PSG which he wanted in the first place.
feck that rat prick

RUCK4444

He had the biggest ego but in my opinion LVG took us in a completely different direction with both the style of football and recruitment.

From the position of where each respective manager left the club I would still say LVG was worse for us. None of his players are still here, the football was shockingly bad, and won less than Mourinho.

It's close and I despise Mourinho more than LVG but I still say the latter was even worse for us overall.

sugar_kane

He had the biggest ego but in my opinion LVG took us in a completely different direction with both the style of football and recruitment.

From the position of where each respective manager left the club I would still say LVG was worse for us. None of his players are still here, the football was shockingly bad, and won less than Mourinho.

It's close and I despise Mourinho more than LVG but I still say the latter was even worse for us overall.
Agree with this, LVG did more lasting damage I feel as he sold great players, brought in absolute shite, and tried to take in us a direction which was alien to the club's values.

I feel this is partly because he was allowed free reign whereas Jose wasn't (thankfully). By Jose's final season the club were wise to his ways and prevented him from selling young prospects and buying total crap.

Fortunately his stint wasn't long enough either to really ruin players like Rashford, but had he stayed longer that might have been a different story.

mu4c_20le

Mourinho actively started beef with the players, there is no one more toxic than him, whereas LVG was just stubborn. He also did not get many signings that he actually wanted, like Muller, Lewa, Mane, Kante, etc. So in that aspect, a very inexperienced Woodward was equally to blame for the squad building.

RedDevil@84

Good to see the failed spell still bothers him, and happy to see he's finally found his comfort zone in the french league. And no, LVG was not the reason he failed, he was moved around because he's been shite everywhere on the pitch since October. Seems like it's everyone's fault but di.
I know people on forum hate him, but LVG played a huge part in his drop of form. LVG was completely deluded with his passing for the sake of it and zero risk shooting and stuff. It is not just ADM who got disillusioned. Other players regressed too.
LVG was the worst thing that happened to us. Worse than Moyes and Jose combined.

ADM had multiple issues other than LVG though, that he was unhappy that Real had actively pushed him out, then he did not get the PSG move and he and his family unwillingly moved to Manchester with a young kid who was not keeping well and then had people break into his house pretty early in the season, thus creating further madness in his life.

But unlike other players who work through their problems, ADM reacted by going "Feck this. I want out" attitude. He began to hate everything about United. And it still shows.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
First season Mourinho was much better than anything Lvg served up. The man is a dinosaur who thinks he can bully players like it’s the 90s. His football turned me off watching football.
how some fans still bang on about creating foundations everywhere he goes.. he doesn’t deserve that adulation. If his head gets any bigger it will explode. His problem was that he couldn’t handle egos that challenged his. Gobshite

jackal&hyde

The toxicity that still exists now was put in place by Mourinho imo. Fans against fans, fans against players, even journalists that favored Mou went on the offensive against the club afterwards. The last few months of Mou was by far the lowest I've seen the club, fanbase and the general image of the club. We still haven't recovered. The man shat on everything to make himself look better, and it worked to a large degree with many fans today convinced United is a "joke" this and "joke" that.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

I think it's a shame that you didn't stick to the approach you followed with appointing van Gaal. When you signed him, I thought United would finally get a clear playing philosophy which could only suite the club and take you to the next level. Van Gaal has his flaws but he definitely had a very positive effect on Bayern e. g. in the long run, even after his departure. I think you would be much better than you are now if you had sticked to this plan instead of appointing Mourinho, who's a clear break in style to LvG.

flappyjay

Most of LVG's signings were terrible. Shaw was the only good one, and I think that deal was done prior to his appointment. We got some mileage out of Herrera, Blind and Romero. They were decent.
This is before we add the fact that he turned down Kroos. A fact confirmed by kroos himself.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
And it was so tough for these poor souls to live in the UK for a year. Because Manchester is so ugly....These people are so incredibly stupid. They call Manchester a sh*ithole. What would their own countries be without the anglo-saxon cultural influence? A medieval mess. I am not british.
Oh wow.

spiriticon

Well we don't give a feck about Angel Di Maria either. Just another player

In fact, if he didn't open his gob to speak shite so often I would have forgotten he was ever in Manchester

VanDeBank

Ma’am
And it was so tough for these poor souls to live in the UK for a year. Because Manchester is so ugly....These people are so incredibly stupid. They call Manchester a sh*ithole. What would their own countries be without the anglo-saxon cultural influence? A medieval mess. I am not british.
Yes, Anglo-Saxon colonialism was the true renaissance that brought the rest of the world out of the middle ages :lol:

Thank you, pasty-faced white dude.

lex talionis

A Di Maria thread, but the focus on Van Gaal is appropriate. We looked like clown robots, hardly worth the trouble to watch. He will always have his resume, but but the by the time he came to OT he was a spent force as a manager. Our play was disgraceful and disrespectful to the tradition of the club, which has always been to play with passion, come what may.

TheLoveless

Taking a thread off topic
Yes, English and the European colonialism saved South America :houllier::houllier:
Exactly, though it was Spain and Portugal and not the UK who were the main colonial . Without the cultural influence from the west these countries would still be medieval.

The wealth in the world comes from the industrial revolution, driven mainly by anglo saxons.

RUCK4444

The toxicity that still exists now was put in place by Mourinho imo. Fans against fans, fans against players, even journalists that favored Mou went on the offensive against the club afterwards. The last few months of Mou was by far the lowest I've seen the club, fanbase and the general image of the club. We still haven't recovered. The man shat on everything to make himself look better, and it worked to a large degree with many fans today convinced United is a "joke" this and "joke" that.
Yeah I'd agree, and probably said so at the time, that this was the lowest point for us, but it came after another failed previous manager so there was an accumulative effect and a sense of hopelessness that nothing was working on these appointments. But agree that Mou was feckin repulsive in the way he handled the players, the club and himself and stole the spirit from the players and the fans alike.

I just think that as far as recruitment and style of play go LVG set us back further and made the journey back to competing that much harder overall.

TheLoveless

Yes, Anglo-Saxon colonialism was the true renaissance that brought the rest of the world out of the middle ages :lol:

Thank you, pasty-faced white dude.
Why do you bring up colonialism? I am speaking of cultural influence. Capitalism, liberalism, enlightenment, rule of law etc.

I have never claimed that the British Empire hasn't done horrible things or that they were right to colonise other parts of the world.

RUCK4444

I think it's a shame that you didn't stick to the approach you followed with appointing van Gaal. When you signed him, I thought United would finally get a clear playing philosophy which could only suite the club and take you to the next level. Van Gaal has his flaws but he definitely had a very positive effect on Bayern e. g. in the long run, even after his departure. I think you would be much better than you are now if you had sticked to this plan instead of appointing Mourinho, who's a clear break in style to LvG.
To be honest, although LVG had a clear style of play and approach, it was never a style the fans would have warmed to, in his time here it neither provided many results or entertainment.

There's no telling how it might have progressed if we had kept him for longer, but appointing him and letting him go in such a totally different direction style-wise for United and then sacking him put us back massively.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Why do you bring up colonialism? I am speaking of cultural influence. Capitalism, liberalism, enlightenment, rule of law etc.

I have never claimed that the British Empire hasn't done horrible things or that they were right to colonise other parts of the world.
Yes, half the world would be such a mess if it wasn't for potatoes, Bruce Dickinson and Monthy Python.

LoneStar

Ah yes, the reason we are all prospering in my country is because the Anglo-Saxons occupied my country and looted everything. The world needs to worship our liberators. What a disgusting post.

TheLoveless

Yes, half the world would be such a mess if it wasn't for potatoes, Bruce Dickinson and Monthy Python.
This post is stupid from a variety of reasons, not the least because potatoes originate from South America.....You just degraded the cultural influence from South America...