5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

He can, and if he is it will do him far more damage than a bad performance will to them. They are experienced enough mentally to perform to a minimum standard even on their off days. Gomes doesn't have that yet, if he makes a mistake it could destroy his confidence. Playing well in a few dead rubber pre season games doesn't mean he's ready to start against a Premier League team.
I haven't seen Gomes play a bad game since 2018. Agreed, it's not against quality opposition but I'm not seeing inconsistency there. His off days are still quite good. Whenever he's got a few minutes in the first team it's looked easy to him.

There's no guarantees he'd played well but there's also no reason to assume he wouldn't either. Mata and Pereira's good games last season could be counted on one hand.

podurban2

We won’t improve with Mata and Lingard, but people think it’s crazy to be excited for and want to see a young talent get his chance instead. Yes, absolutely mental to even suggest such a thing. Shame on you all!

johanovic

Gomes has the ability to play in tight spaces and move the ball quickly around. He should get a chance to show what he can do instead of Lingard and Mata. I truly belive he has something unique to offer to the team and could perhaps be the missing link in our attacking play. He deserves the chance to show what he can do and I think he will surprise a few people. I also belive Garner has passing ability that we are lacking in midfield and hopefully he will get a chance to show what he can do also.

I haven't seen Gomes play a bad game since 2018. Agreed, it's not against quality opposition but I'm not seeing inconsistency there. His off days are still quite good. Whenever he's got a few minutes in the first team it's looked easy to him.

There's no guarantees he'd played well but there's also no reason to assume he wouldn't either. Mata and Pereira's good games last season could be counted on one hand.
I'm not arguing that he looks a really good player. I just don't want him dropped in the first team unprepared because its going to be twice as hard as anything he's ever played in before. With experience comes the ability to drop back to basics if you're having a bad day. Youngsters don't have that, they can be great but they can be terrible. He could actually be a lot worse than Lingard in a Premier League game, it's better for him and us if he starts slowly.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm not arguing that he looks a really good player. I just don't want him dropped in the first team unprepared because its going to be twice as hard as anything he's ever played in before. With experience comes the ability to drop back to basics if you're having a bad day. Youngsters don't have that, they can be great but they can be terrible. He could actually be a lot worse than Lingard in a Premier League game, it's better for him and us if he starts slowly.
Maybe for a couple of games, but I highly doubt it. Lingard has been very poor. At the very least though he should be getting minutes even 20 mins as a sub for either Lingard or Mata after they have given us 70 minutes of rubbish

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We need him integrated, it’s clear. Our current midfield will see us finishing outside the Top 4 again. We simply do not keep the ball well enough.

Also, Jesse cannot play a final pass. That must be obvious to anyone by now. You can’t have a regular 10 who has no creativity. It is the position for a craftsman, not a ‘runner’.

jb8521

Why not play him in under 23s, Chong too, they have had no games now for a while so when they finally get a chance they will be well off the pace, perform bad and then not be seen again for months. Some of the players stealing a living at this club do not not provide anything better than these kids could.
They've played in behind closed doors along with other senior players who haven't had much game time & there are more games scheduled in the next few weeks as far as I know.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's not even just cause I like him. He has qualities wee desperately need.

Raven

Played against Sheffield United today behind closed doors apparently. Won the match 3 - 1 with him, Greenwood and Perreira scoring.

Ravel also played.

rotherham_red

I hope you're right, but I've got a bad feeling about this. We'll see soon enough, his contract runs out at the end of the season.
This is nothing like the Pogba situation though. He's seen as a part of the first team squad on a full time basis, and will only drop down to the U-23s for the EFL Trophy games. He's gotten minutes in preseason, even after Garner dropped down after the tour, and finally, just look at his social media profile. Does that say anything but that he's fully committed to the club?

It's a long season and our squad is paper thin in the exact areas where he plays. If he isn't in the team by November, then by all means feel free to freak out, but to do so two games in to a potentially 65+ game long season is madness.

Based Adnan

He must be watching shite like Lingard and Mata play before him and thinking what does he actually have to do? Can't blame him for not wanting to sign a deal with 1 year left when the club has shown no faith in him and continues to play poor players in his position.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

Sure with youth football, one can see there is too much space and time afforded but the basic ingredient is there for this kid. He has vision, passing range, end product, quick on his feet and technically sound to play as a proper number 10.

Hopefully he start getting integrated into the team soon because i think given enough time for him to adapt to the pace of the league and stepping up of level, i'm quite confident in a few months he should be adapted to the league.

kirk buttercup

He must be watching shite like Lingard and Mata play before him and thinking what does he actually have to do? Can't blame him for not wanting to sign a deal with 1 year left when the club has shown no faith in him and continues to play poor players in his position.
he will get his chance this year as the year goes on . He was never going to picked v Chelsea or Wolves

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If he's not on the bench against Palace then it's time to worry.

We should be demolishing them at home. I'd hope he and Greenwood can get on with 25 to go.

Litch

Patience for certain but would like to see him at least on the bench. Cant come on even if we winning games 4-0 if hes not on it....

LVGSdive

I am at the stage where I am wanting another club to put in a bid for him. Then the club might wake up to how good he is and that losing him is a realistic possibility. The same way Chelsea woke up when Bayern put a bid in for Hudson-Odoi and started playing him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

We should be demolishing them at home. I'd hope he and Greenwood can get on with 25 to go.
Yeah, against Palace Greenwood and Gomes should get mins. If we want to trim the squad and rely on young players then we have to trust these young players at least against midtable/lower table clubs at home.

rotherham_red

No.

The time to worry is if he's not breaking through once the EL and Carabao Cup games start.

While we're playing one game a week, Ole will play as close to a settled XI as possible.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah, against Palace Greenwood and Gomes should get mins. If we want to trim the squad and rely on young players then we have to trust these young players at least against midtable/lower table clubs at home.
He should be on the bench over Matic IMO.
No.

The time to worry is if he's not breaking through once the EL and Carabao Cup games start.

While we're playing one game a week, Ole will play as close to a settled XI as possible.
Palace is one of the easier games in the league, if he's not ready to play against them i'd be shocked.

He looked perfectly at home in the pre season matches, he deserves a first team chance. I don't see what Pereira brings that Gomes can't personally.

Classical Mechanic

He should be on the bench over Matic IMO.

Palace is one of the easier games in the league, if he's not ready to play against them i'd be shocked.

He looked perfectly at home in the pre season matches, he deserves a first team chance. I don't see what Pereira brings that Gomes can't personally.
It's the kind of game where his skill set would be required too. Get the feeling that we won't see him until the Europa League though.

izec

We will see him once the FA cup, Carabao cup or Europa League starts. I am not even sure he will start the first game in these competitions. It is a joke

#FreeAngel

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We will see him once the FA cup, Carabao cup or Europa League starts. I am not even sure he will start the first game in these competitions. It is a joke

#FreeAngel
I agree. People take it as a given he'll get games in the Europa or the Cup's but Ole probably knows he's under pressure if not to finish top 4 then to certainly deliver a trophy

Unfortunately everything points to Gomes not being particularly rated (or at least thought ready yet) so just got to hope that doesn't stop him extending his contract with us

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I agree. People take it as a given he'll get games in the Europa or the Cup's but Ole probably knows he's under pressure if not to finish top 4 then to certainly deliver a trophy

Unfortunately everything points to Gomes not being particularly rated (or at least thought ready yet) so just got to hope that doesn't stop him extending his contract with us
I can't agree with this at all. Ole and the whole coaching staff would have to be blind and deaf to not rate him. He's been the main man and captain of United and England at a bunch of different age-group levels. He's not some under-the-radar prospect.

I think it just boils down to first team bodies. With Lukaku gone, Greenwood gets a look in first. If Gomes was a 9 and Greenwood a 10, I'm sure it'd be Angel on the bench these past couple of games instead.

charlenefan

I can't agree with this at all. Ole and the whole coaching staff would have to be blind and deaf to not rate him. He's been the main man and captain of United and England at a bunch of different age-group levels. He's not some under-the-radar prospect.

I think it just boils down to first team bodies. With Lukaku gone, Greenwood gets a look in first. If Gomes was a 9 and Greenwood a 10, I'm sure it'd be Angel on the bench these past couple of games instead.
You say you cant agree with what I say at all and then go and state it's bodies which is why Gomes is behind Greenwood - yeah because we're stocked full of midfielders/number 10's aren't we? :lol:

Fair enough if you disagree but at least present a plausible retort

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Gomes wouldn't have gone on tour with us if we didn't rate him or if we thought he wasn't going to sign a new contract, we'd have just done to him what City did to Sancho.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
You say you cant agree with what I say at all and then go and state it's bodies which is why Gomes is behind Greenwood - yeah because we're stocked full of midfielders/number 10's aren't we? :lol:

Fair enough if you disagree but at least present a plausible retort
Moreso than 9s, we absolutely are. With Lukaku gone And Sanchez out, it's just Rashford and Martial who can potentially play CF, and both of those are usually on the pitch. There's a wide open slot on the bench there.

At 10 we've got Pereira, Lingard, and Mata for one spot.

charlenefan

Gomes wouldn't have gone on tour with us if we didn't rate him or if we thought he wasn't going to sign a new contract, we'd have just done to him what City did to Sancho.
Well like I said they may just think he's not ready yet. I certainly hope the club have been given encouragement over his contract situation though

charlenefan

Moreso than 9s, we absolutely are. With Lukaku gone And Sanchez out, it's just Rashford and Martial who can potentially play CF, and both of those are usually on the pitch. There's a wide open slot on the bench there.

At 10 we've got Pereira, Lingard, and Mata for one spot.
So we have 2 number 9's and 3 number 10's yeah massive difference isn't there :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.