Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lysglimt

Scout
If he doesn't sign the contract - he really has a poor agent. People can question OGS all they want, but one thing is not questionable - he will get a lot of chances if he extends his contract.

lysglimt

Scout
Why have Gomes and Chong not gone out on loan to get experience like the Chelsea players have. Include a stipulation that they play a certain amount of games if they are fit and available.
Because it's not just shipping players out on loan - you have to find a club that you trust enough to take care of the players, the players have to be old enough physically and mentally. If you send the wrong player out on loan to the wrong club, you could potentially hurt their career. And yes some Chelsea-players have improved their career by going out on loan, but a lot of Chelsea-players have vanished after going out on loan.

And the problem with Gomes and Chong have probably been the same problem that prevented Lingard and Michael Keane from playing a lot of football for the U18s - they were too small and not physically strong enough.

Lynty

Why have Gomes and Chong not gone out on loan to get experience like the Chelsea players have. Include a stipulation that they play a certain amount of games if they are fit and available.
Cheslea had 41 players on loan last season. They've e done it for years. Your basing your argument on approx 4 or 5 turning out decent this year, despite it being widely acknowledged that they've had an awful youth development strategy over the last decade.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's just it though. If it's like playing in the reserves, and he's clearly doing well, then maybe he should start playing senior matches to develop further. It's not like a player like Kai Havertz is keeping Gomes out. It's players like Pereira.
As we've seen with Fred. Sometimes playing 1 match in 3 months ISN'T ENOUGH.

You need several matches in a row to acclimatise and get used to the level. I get that right now United probably can't afford to carry him while he adjusts, but he should be on the bench and be the first sub as soon as we're winning comfortably. He's clearly talented enough.

It really will be a travesty if we let him leave without giving it everything, he's going to be a star in Portugal/Spain.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Because it's not just shipping players out on loan - you have to find a club that you trust enough to take care of the players, the players have to be old enough physically and mentally. If you send the wrong player out on loan to the wrong club, you could potentially hurt their career. And yes some Chelsea-players have improved their career by going out on loan, but a lot of Chelsea-players have vanished after going out on loan.

And the problem with Gomes and Chong have probably been the same problem that prevented Lingard and Michael Keane from playing a lot of football for the U18s - they were too small and not physically strong enough.
Michael was a big lad at 16, the reason he didn't play much in his first season was because he stayed on in full-time education and only trained with the squad part-time, in his second season he was a regular.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
To be honest, not signing and move to another club could be a good move if he chose the right club and is a bit lucky.

My biggest worry is that he buys into his own hype a bit to much. He do not move much without the ball. I do not know why, but the best playmakers are also good at creating space for others through their movement. Ref Mata and Silva. Some young players almost appear to put that type of «dirty work» below them. I’m not sure if that is the case for Gomes, but I miss that from him.

In Rainbows

To be honest, not signing and move to another club could be a good move if he chose the right club and is a bit lucky.

My biggest worry is that he buys into his own hype a bit to much. He do not move much without the ball. I do not know why, but the best playmakers are also good at creating space for others through their movement. Ref Mata and Silva. Some young players almost appear to put that type of «dirty work» below them. I’m not sure if that is the case for Gomes, but I miss that from him.
It depends on his position. When he's playing as a CM, he's not afraid to do defensive work and will bump guys bigger than him. As a 10, he tends to not do that.

If we're speaking about just movement in general, I do feel he can improve on that. However, he has to play and get exposed so the coaches can point out he's lacking movement, and so it's easy to digest that he needs to improve on that front after being exposed.

dev1l

As we've seen with Fred. Sometimes playing 1 match in 3 months ISN'T ENOUGH.

You need several matches in a row to acclimatise and get used to the level. I get that right now United probably can't afford to carry him while he adjusts, but he should be on the bench and be the first sub as soon as we're winning comfortably. He's clearly talented enough.

It really will be a travesty if we let him leave without giving it everything, he's going to be a star in Portugal/Spain.
Much depends on his demands. I m sure we offered him a contract.
But what if other clubs make him a better offer? Should we compete with them and offer Gomes better terms than Greenwood and Williams?
Also, when playing no 10, is he ready to press? I mean under Ole you can see the forward line pressing high. This only works if everyone does his part - maybe that s why Perriera got so many games this season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Much depends on his demands. I m sure we offered him a contract.
But what if other clubs make him a better offer? Should we compete with them and offer Gomes better terms than Greenwood and Williams?
Also, when playing no 10, is he ready to press? I mean under Ole you can see the forward line pressing high. This only works if everyone does his part - maybe that s why Perriera got so many games this season.
Yes, he presses well. The guy is small it doesn't mean he can't run.

He shows plenty of pressing in the reserves and in pre season when he played the 10 role. It's also something he will get better at with higher fitness levels.

With the cost of transfer fees these days, paying them an extra few quid a week is much better than losing them.

I wonder if the club had the choice of paying Pogba 10,000 a week extra, or buying him back for £90m a few years later - would they do that again?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If he doesn't sign the contract - he really has a poor agent. People can question OGS all they want, but one thing is not questionable - he will get a lot of chances if he extends his contract.
Like he did in pre season right

Mark Pawelek

That's just it though. If it's like playing in the reserves, and he's clearly doing well, then maybe he should start playing senior matches to develop further. It's not like a player like Kai Havertz is keeping Gomes out. It's players like Pereira.
Pereira, Mata and Lingard keeping Gomes out. They ain't exactly tearing it up. Now he's back from injury, I'd like to see Gomes get at least as much playing time, on average, as they do.

dev1l

Pereira, Mata and Lingard keeping Gomes out. They ain't exactly tearing it up. Now he's back from injury, I'd like to see Gomes get at least as much playing time, on average, as they do.
Not before he signs a new contract.

el3mel

Not before he signs a new contract.
Which player is idiotic enough to sign a contract that ties him to a club on long term before getting a proof he'll play ? Might sign a contract and see himself out of the team for Lingard and co and regret it.

Cassidy

Well if Angel Gomes isn't blind or stupid - he can look at Tuanzebe, Garner, Williams etc - and ask himself - will I get chances in the next month ?
Just because some have doesnt mean he will. For instance see Garner in preseason

It could also be the case that the coaches don’t think he is good enough yet

What is for sure is that out of the youngers player he is the one who has got the least chances. Even Chong has got more the reasons for that we don't know.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Gomes and Chong have done nothing in the minutes given to them to demand more playing time. Brandon Williams, Mason Greenwood etc grabbed their opportunities when they were given with both hands. That's the difference.

They could both benefit from a loan because when they go down to the U23s they look too good for that league yet don't seem to be able to step up when playing in the senior squad.

Cassidy

Gomes and Chong have done nothing in the minutes given to them to demand more playing time. Brandon Williams, Mason Greenwood etc grabbed their opportunities when they were given with both hands. That's the difference.

They could both benefit from a loan because when they go down to the U23s they look too good for that league yet don't seem to be able to step up when playing in the senior squad.
Gomes hasnt really had any playing time to make that assessment. Chong I agree with

Mark Pawelek

Haven’t they played a very similar amount?
About right. Competitive matches against men played this season.

Chong. 2019/2020
Premier League --- 2 ----- 24
EFL Trophy ------- 2 ---- 180
Europa League ---- 1 ----- 68
EFL Cup ---------- 1 ----- 60
Total ------------ 6 ---- 332

Gomes. 2019/2020

Europa League ---- 2 ---- 158
Premier League --- 1 ------ 9
EFL Trophy ------- 1 ----- 90
Total ------------ 4 ---- 257

reddev3

I think he's amazing, his ball control is second to none but he's the sort of player that will be amazing in an amazing team and rubbish in a rubbish one.

Look at the first goal and he knew exactly what he was going to do before the ball came to him and executed a nice one touch forward pass and then moved forward to receive it back which then led to him creating a goal, if the other players first touch was rubbish then the pass form Gomes doesn't get a second though but as it wasn't he was able to create a brilliant team goal.

I'm convinced he will make it.

Mickson

Not really fair. Gomes has had only one start in his position, and he played 69 minutes and, to be fair, he was one of the better players against Astana. Then one game as a left-winger away to Alkmaar, poor management with Mata also in the lineup. Maybe he didn't take the opportunity entirely, but he wasn't exactly poor. He deserves more chances. Chong I agree with, he has been underwhelming.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Not really fair. Gomes has had only one start in his position, and he played 69 minutes and, to be fair, he was one of the better players against Astana. Then one game as a left-winger away to Alkmaar, poor management with Mata also in the lineup. Maybe he didn't take the opportunity entirely, but he wasn't exactly poor. He deserves more chances. Chong I agree with, he has been underwhelming.
Even if I don't fully agree I think Gomes definitely deserves to be on the fringes of the squad and see those 10-15 minutes at the end of games to lose that unfamiliarity of playing with and against senior players. You see the skill there but it sometimes takes a level of security and comfort to reveal himself. McTominay went through the same phase of being overwhelmed and playing within himself for half a season before showing his full repertoire.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He probably doesnt want to sign a new contract, seeing as we have 3 clowns at his position and he isnt in contention.

Wasnt difficult to predict after pre season, Ole would probably wait another 5 years til he is 'ready' body wise. Gomes will move on and be a top player for another club
I love bollocks comments like this.

You haven’t got a clue what’s going on behind the scenes just like everyone else.

POF

When questioned about Greenwood's playing time, Ole's response was that if he was tearing it up in training and his performances demanded it, he would have played every game.

I'm sure the same is true of Gomes. Every player has to earn their spot in the team through their performances, not their potential. It's how you set and raise standards.

It's a major step up from underage to senior football and even more so for a player who has such a physical disadvantage.

It seems like there's a good chance that he won't sign a new contract and it will be a bad move for both him and the club. If he's patient he will develop into a key player at the club in time.

ash_86

I can't see him playing without committing to a contract. It is who blinks first and I think Ole is someone who needs the players 100% committed, especially young ones before they get a chance. Even recently Ole talked about Greenwood not impressing in training is the reason he's not starting much. Attitude and commitment to work should be the top priority at United.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I can't see him playing without committing to a contract. It is who blinks first and I think Ole is someone who needs the players 100% committed, especially young ones before they get a chance. Even recently Ole talked about Greenwood not impressing in training is the reason he's not starting much. Attitude and commitment to work should be the top priority at United.
While I do agree in principle, with Gomes we shouldn't make an example out of him. Like letting Pogba leave and then go well at least we still have Lingard. It would be like when Sancho left City. If Gomes want to go that's his choice but I feel like United should expect him to sign the contract on account of this
and just play him until it happens.

ash_86

While I do agree in principle, with Gomes we shouldn't make an example out of him. Like letting Pogba leave and then go well at least we still have Lingard. It would be like when Sancho left City. If Gomes want to go that's his choice but I feel like United should expect him to sign the contract on account of this
and just play him until it happens.
I don't think we're making example out of him. The standards has been set already last summer. We didn't budge on Herrera and I don't think we'll make an exception for Gomes. We've offered him a new contract and ball is in his court. Gomes only has to look around to see, this is his best chance to make the first team. Sign the contract, work hard in training and he'd start getting games. I'd love for Gomes to make it here but making an exception means we're opening ourselves for more damage in the long term.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I don't think we're making example out of him. The standards has been set already last summer. We didn't budge on Herrera and I don't think we'll make an exception for Gomes. We've offered him a new contract and ball is in his court. Gomes only has to look around to see, this is his best chance to make the first team. Sign the contract, work hard in training and he'd start getting games. I'd love for Gomes to make it here but making an exception means we're opening ourselves for more damage in the long term.
No I get that, but.. are you proposing United shouldn't play him until he signs the contract? That is something different entirely to letting Herrera go. I see no reason why that would be a thing, especially for a young player wanting to develop and is still under contract. Sends the wrong message, only way to prove him he'll get chances is to give him a few. Lingard and Mata are done, Gomes probably could have seen more minutes this season already, and at the least he should get the chance from here on out. If Pogba now told us he was going to leave would we not play him?

ash_86

No I get that, but.. are you proposing United shouldn't play him until he signs the contract? That is something different entirely to letting Herrera go. I see no reason why that would be a thing, especially for a young player wanting to develop and is still under contract. Sends the wrong message, only way to prove him he'll get chances is to give him a few. Lingard and Mata are done, Gomes probably could have seen more minutes this season already, and at the least he should get the chance from here on out. If Pogba now told us he was going to leave would we not play him?
There may be a lot of reasons for not playing him. Contract situation is one. Maybe he's not showing it in training could be the main reason as far as we know. There is no God given right that he should play regardless of what he's showing in the training. He isn't that accomplished yet. With regards to Pogba, though he's been very important for us but would be let go end of season if he wants out. I cannot see the club bending rules for him past this season. Maybe only reason we held onto him was the lack of replacement.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
There may be a lot of reasons for not playing him. Contract situation is one. Maybe he's not showing it in training could be the main reason as far as we know. There is no God given right that he should play regardless of what he's showing in the training. He isn't that accomplished yet. With regards to Pogba, though he's been very important for us but would be let go end of season if he wants out. I cannot see the club bending rules for him past this season. Maybe only reason we held onto him was the lack of replacement.
Sure. All I'm saying is if we're to not play him because he hasn't signed the contract to make some kind of a principle out of it, it's stupid and the wrong time to do so. We gave Lingard this weirdly huge contract possibly as a move to show academy kids how much they are valued if they succeed, good motivation and we've offered a contract to Gomes but if we just keep using Lingard, giving him new contracts and wont play an academy kid because of it, what exactly does that do?

Red_toad

Sure. All I'm saying is if we're to not play him because he hasn't signed the contract to make some kind of a principle out of it, it's stupid and the wrong time to do so. We gave Lingard this weirdly huge contract possibly as a move to show academy kids how much they are valued if they succeed, good motivation and we've offered a contract to Gomes but if we just keep using Lingard, giving him new contracts and wont play an academy kid because of it, what exactly does that do?
When have United ever dropped a player over a contract dispute?

It’s just a random fans fantasy and lots of people jumping onto it. Lad is in negotiations and has been injured, that is all anyone knows, but we seems to have a lot of people who are stirring the pot with creations of their boredom.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
When have United ever dropped a player over a contract dispute?

It’s just a random fans fantasy and lots of people jumping onto it. Lad is in negotiations and has been injured, that is all anyone knows, but we seems to have a lot of people who are stirring the pot with creations of their boredom.
Sure, I'm hopeful you are right. I too am bored, from not seeing this magician enough for the first team. Getting a bit impatient though but I think it's natural to get sick of the prospect of losing him. I did expect him to be eased in, and he has been injured, but still.. I expected him to have a bit more than 9 minutes of PL football to prove himself. It doesn't have to be something going on here, but it's cause for a small worry as the club doesn't exactly fill us with confidence in their abilities to not feck things up in an unexpectedly big way.

Grande

Anyone seen any of his U-20 minutes yesterday?

Taken off after 60 mins implies that either he is not dominating or enduring the game at that level, or he is indeed phased back after injury.

In Rainbows

Taken off after 60 mins implies that either he is not dominating or enduring the game at that level, or he is indeed phased back after injury.
I only listened to the 2nd half. Commentator suggested he was taken off probably because he had already proven himself and it would be good to take a look at another player. Think he did decent, but not as well as he did the last few matches.

SteveW

Good to see him back from injury. Hopefully he gets chances against Astana, Alkmaar and maybe Villa. Classy player.

Asger

According to Icelandic commentary during the game it was said his performance was decent/good.

Bwuk

To me he and Chong should of been sent on loan to the championship.

The u23s get played like friendlies. He needs game time.

pascell

Might not get chance if both reject contracts, the club only want players who want to be here and by the looks of it, both Chong and Gomes are dragging their heels over contracts.

Varun1

Am sure there were a lot of reports of Chong rejecting a loan move.

I Gomes was probably in Ole's plans but 1, he got injured, 2 not signing a contract means he hasn't been getting the minutes. I remember we had the same situation last time where he didn't sign a contract until the last minute. Either we are looking at the same scenario or he really isn't signing. We're weeks away from him being able to walk away on a free on a pre-contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.