5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kundalini

Wasn't terrible. Passing wasn't anything special. Looks so lightweight and on the slow side too.

Wish he had had more opportunities in Europa League and domestic Cup competitions.

No idea if he will become a decent player or not.

If he signs a new contract, I'd be looking to loan him out, probably for a couple of seasons, then see how he develops.

Last edited:

Oldyella

Thought he did ok. Certainly well enough to get more opportunities given who hes competing with. Wad annoyed with I think it was Rashford near the end when Gomes was running at the defence and Rashford could have gone into space for a through ball but just dragged the defence towards Gomes

Bwuk

He’ll get found out in senior football.

Wont get the time and space he does in juniors.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Didn't look great but he's MILES (don't warn me the capitals are absolutely necessary to stress the point) better than Lingard.

Thiagoal

Very harsh to critique Gomes since he’s played so little football recently! Give him a run of games and let’s see if there really is the talent there!

Withnail

Technically, he is one of our best players. I bet he has the best first touch in the squad, but he isnt suited to counterattacking football though.

Pochettino would turn him into a world beater. He needs more trust and minutes, which he wont get with Ole.
Isn't the point that we need players who can give us an alternative to Counter attacking football?

izec

Isn't the point that we need players who can give us an alternative to Counter attacking football?
Then you have to have a manager who wants to play like that, has a clue how to implement it and uses the right players for it. Ole's transfers and 'tactics' so far suggest that he isnt trying to play the modern game, rather the old fashioned United way, or better say the counter attacking Fergie way. He is a one trick pony and gets found out with ease.

Withnail

Then you have to have a manager who wants to play like that, has a clue how to implement it and uses the right players for it. Ole's transfers and 'tactics' so far suggest that he isnt trying to play the modern game, rather the old fashioned United way, or better say the Fergie way.
Don't want to derail the thread but I think that's a bit simplistic; a top quality CM and AM would transform this team, regardless of who the manager is.

Gomes seems to have that bit of creativity that can unlock stubborn defences.

passing-wind

He’ll get found out in senior football.

Wont get the time and space he does in juniors.
No he'll develop under a competent coach who will teach him how to negate the opposition press / pressure by facilitating movement that will augment him space. It's amazing asking these young players to play under a counter attacking manager like Solskjaer, they'll learn absolutely nothing compared to someone who is well educated and esteemed in possession based football. Gives Gomes to a Lampard, Rodgers, Klopp, Pep he'll have his uses.

Walters_19_MuFc

Technically, he is one of our best players. I bet he has the best first touch in the squad, but he isnt suited to counterattacking football though.

Pochettino would turn him into a world beater. He needs more trust and minutes, which he wont get with Ole.
The same Ole that has given chances to a number of youngsters this season?

Only thing I can think of is, as good as Gomes is on the ball, he seems very laid back off it.

That said, it is time he gets given a chance as a 10, as it's safe to say the other ones aren't pulling up any trees.

Member 101269

From my front row seat I could see him much, on the odd occasion I did city players feet appear to have been at his head height.

izec

The same Ole that has given chances to a number of youngsters this season?

Only thing I can think of is, as good as Gomes is on the ball, he seems very laid back off it.

That said, it is time he gets given a chance as a 10, as it's safe to say the other ones aren't pulling up any trees.
Yeah, but these youngsters arent necessarily playing on a position as vital as this one. Ole isnt a masterclass tactician, him playing Lingard time and time again tells me everything i need to know. I rather question the manager then the player in this case. He sucked the life out of him at the start of the season when he ignored him completely.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yeah, but these youngsters arent necessarily playing on a position as vital as this one. Ole isnt a masterclass tactician, him playing Lingard time and time again tells me everything i need to know. I rather question the manager then the player in this case. He sucked the life out of him at the start of the season when he ignored him completely.
To me, every position is vital, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then.

Gomes has had a few starts for us, but hasn't massively impressed when given the chance like Williams and Greenwood has.

Hopefully, following his little cameo tonight, he will push on and possibly force Ole to start him.

Don't think his contract dispute, if rumours are to be believed, have helped either.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
A number 10 which is traditionally a free role is less vital than say a LB or a CF?

I used to take solace that posters with high post counts were the ones that talked some sense

passing-wind

That's a good spot, Lukaku leaving as our main established striker with no suitable replacement was also a bad decision. Solskjaer is a rancid manager / tactician, it also seems he's useless when it comes to man management.

Ole was such a fantastic striker that he won't tarnish his legacy with his awful management capabilities but how long will the club persist with this mediocrity. At least under LVG / Mourinho there was some hope early doors because of the profile of these managers. Solskjaer feels worse off more than Moyes.

DoomSlayer

That's a good spot, Lukaku leaving as our main established striker with no suitable replacement was also a bad decision. Solskjaer is a rancid manager / tactician, it also seems he's useless when it comes to man management.

Ole was such a fantastic striker that he won't tarnish his legacy with his awful management capabilities but how long will the club persist with this mediocrity. At least under LVG / Mourinho there was some hope early doors because of the profile of these managers. Solskjaer feels worse off more than Moyes.
Moyes finished 7th with a club that was the PL champion the previous season. How can anything be worse?

passing-wind

Moyes finished 7th with a club that was the PL champion the previous season. How can anything be worse?
To me the circumstances are relatively similar two rancid manages whou shouldn't have been anywhere near the club. Moyes was less detestable because the pressure came from fans to get him out throughout the spoil.

The exact same fans will back Solskjaer even if we got relegated. Moyes dropped the bar but the club's ambition was still foreseeable. Under Ole there's a concensus we will at best be a top 8 club. Its an absolute embarrassment.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Right, let's all be serious for a minute.

I know emotions are raw at the minute. I know feelings towards Mata, Lingard and Pereira are pretty much at an all time low and they'll never recover and I know we need someone desperately to become our #10 and be the creative outlet we need as part of the gigantic fecking rebuild job we need to do but come the feck on.

Some people just aren't built for certain jobs. He's a fecking midget. Physically even if he took steroids for three years so he didn't have the physique of a small child he'd still be a fecking midget. He looks like a kid won a contest to play for a bit at Old Trafford in a testimonial. His kit looked like it was too large for him. He's so far off the pace for men's football it's staggering. Granted he's only .1 of a metre shorter than Dan James but Dan James is fecking rapid. Every time James gets tackled it looks like he's been killed so imagine what it'd be like for someone shorter, slighter and so much slower?

I am absolutely sure the lad can play football, I am absolutely sure he has talent and if given time and space he can show it off.

I am also absolutely sure he's unequivocably nowhere near

a) being the player we need instead of Mata/Lingard/Pereira
b) being the player we could rely on to fill a squad role
c) being anything remotely like ready right now to fit into this team physically
d) being anything remotely like ready right now to fit into this team considering the state we're in
e) ever, in a million fecking years, going to make it at United or at any genuinely high level of professional football (i.e. the top leagues).

He could maybe go to the Eredivisie or something but he's never going to be the player you want him to be. I get that small, technically gifted players are brilliant and exactly the type we should be targeting for their technical ability but come on folks, let's be realistic here.

Even if he had Messi levels of talent (he doesn't, by a long stretch), he'd still be too small and that's compared to Messi who's a midget himself (the same .1 of a metre taller like James but physically capable of being that short due to having a powerful, low CofG and wonderful ability to accelerate himself into space clear of an opposing player).

Don't let the hatred of our actual, professional footballer standard, shite #10 players fool you into thing Angel Gomes is ever going to be a Premier League footballer.

He's shown nothing at all at this level. Nothing. You'd think for all the hype he gets he IS Messi. There's nothing to show for it.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's shown nothing at all at this level. Nothing. You'd think for all the hype he gets he IS Messi. There's nothing to show for it.
While I'll agree with the rest of your post, that people's hope is being wildly misplaced, he's got 4 appearances for the first team. What are you expecting? His technique is terrific, so he'll always have half a chance.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

I know emotions are raw at the minute. I know feelings towards Mata, Lingard and Pereira are pretty much at an all time low and they'll never recover and I know we need someone desperately to become our #10 and be the creative outlet we need as part of the gigantic fecking rebuild job we need to do but come the feck on.

Some people just aren't built for certain jobs. He's a fecking midget. Physically even if he took steroids for three years so he didn't have the physique of a small child he'd still be a fecking midget. He looks like a kid won a contest to play for a bit at Old Trafford in a testimonial. He's so far off the pace for men's football it's staggering. Granted he's only .1 of a metre shorter than Dan James but Dan James is fecking rapid. Every time James gets tackled it looks like he's been killed so imagine what it'd be like for someone shorter, slighter and so much slower?

I am absolutely sure the lad can play football, I am absolutely sure he has talent and if given time and space he can show it off.

c) being anything remotely like ready right now to fit into this team physically
d) being anything remotely like ready right now to fit into this team considering the state we're in
e) ever, in a million fecking years, going to make it at United or at any genuinely high level of professional football (i.e. the top leagues).

He could maybe go to the Eredivisie or something but he's never going to be the player you want him to be. I get that small, technically gifted players are brilliant and exactly the type we should be targeting for their technical ability but come on folks, let's be realistic here.

Even if he had Messi levels of talent (he doesn't, by a long stretch), he'd still be too small and that's compared to Messi who's a midget himself.

Don't let the hatred of our actual, professional footballer standard, shite #10 players fool you into thing Angel Gomes is ever going to be a Premier League footballer.

Shit post.

He's a kid who hasn't had much chances to play, how's he going to prove anything.

Utdstar01

Some people just aren't built for certain jobs. He's a fecking midget. Physically even if he took steroids for three years so he didn't have the physique of a small child he'd still be a fecking midget. He looks like a kid won a contest to play for a bit at Old Trafford in a testimonial. He's so far off the pace for men's football it's staggering. Granted he's only .1 of a metre shorter than Dan James but Dan James is fecking rapid. Every time James gets tackled it looks like he's been killed so imagine what it'd be like for someone shorter, slighter and so much slower?

Even if he had Messi levels of talent (he doesn't, by a long stretch), he'd still be too small and that's compared to Messi who's a midget himself.

You could've just summed that all up in once sentence. "His physical deficiencies will prevent him from reaching the top level.".

I don't agree with any of it. You mention if he had messi levels of talent he still wouldn't make it? That's just ridiculous.

Hopefully he signs a contract and he'll get time to show if he's up to it or not.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The thing about Gomes is

He can play as a
False 9
CAM
CM

The thing with Gomes is - is not that he is amazing, it's that he is is genuinely on the same level as players like Mata, Lingard & Pereira.

That's what's irritating.

Chong should not get in the team due to Greenwood being miles better than him and James having a good start to the season - though he should only ever used as back up at RW.

Walters_19_MuFc

Some people just aren't built for certain jobs. He's a fecking midget. Physically even if he took steroids for three years so he didn't have the physique of a small child he'd still be a fecking midget. He looks like a kid won a contest to play for a bit at Old Trafford in a testimonial. His kit looked like it was too large for him. He's so far off the pace for men's football it's staggering. Granted he's only .1 of a metre shorter than Dan James but Dan James is fecking rapid. Every time James gets tackled it looks like he's been killed so imagine what it'd be like for someone shorter, slighter and so much slower?
:lol::lol:

matherto

You could've just summed that all up in once sentence. "His physical deficiencies will prevent him from reaching the top level.".

I don't agree with any of it. You mention if he had messi levels of talent he still wouldn't make it? That's just ridiculous.

Hopefully he signs a contract and he'll get time to show if he's up to it or not.
Messi is thankfully blessed with some physical attributes to aid his talents.

Gomes has no strength and no pace.

Honestly, he looks too small to effectively get round the pitch at the speed required of a top level footballer in a top level game and isn't that the bare minimum required for a footballer that we need in the first team at United.

Let's not forget that Messi had to have growth hormone to get to the height he is, he and James are basically the absolute bare minimum height you can be and Gomes is noticeably smaller. So yes, as said, he is too small for any amount of talent to make it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The little I saw tonight made me wonder why he hasn't been playing loads recently. He's comfortable on the ball, progressive, nimble feet. I don't even care about his contract situation, we just need players playing who can actually pass and move.

matherto

Shit post.

He's a kid who hasn't had much chances to play, how's he going to prove anything.
The way he gets hyped up he's supposed to show....something...right?

Macheda, Welbeck, Gibson, Cleverley, etc - all utterly shit - showed more when they first started and they're nowhere near as talented as Gomes apparently is supposed to be.

It's because we're so bereft of quality in the #10 role and we're all desperately screaming to sign someone or play someone from the academy that can fit there so we never have to see Pereira, Mata or Lingard ever again but never in a million years is that person going to be Angel Gomes.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If we play him then everyone needs to play closer together.

The benefit is that players like Fred, Martial, Greenwood, Rashford, Pogba, Gomes, Mctomminay in my opinion are made to play closer football in a unit rather than play wider apart trying to create things from distance by running, passing far and wide, sitting back before we all attack, crossing from one side all the way to the other whilst no one is in the box etc.

It's better if we played a narrowed compact type of football and let our technical footballers do some work with some added power in midfield - we hardly see any of that at the moment, just pure pace with dribbling and the speed of the ball.

El-Manos

Honestly, he looks too small to effectively get round the pitch at the speed required of a top level footballer in a top level game and isn't that the bare minimum required for a footballer that we need in the first team at United.

Let's not forget that Messi had to have growth hormone to get to the height he is, he and James are basically the absolute bare minimum height you can be and Gomes is noticeably smaller. So yes, as said, he is too small for any amount of talent to make it.
I hear stoke city are looking for supporters. Only messing

Utdstar01

I don't get how you come to this conclusion? There are many good players who play at the top level as small as him. Ryan Fraser and Insigne are two to name. Both only 3cm taller. Angel could still grow a couple of inches, who knows?! Angel's game doesn't rely on pace and he's definitely no slouch anyway.

matherto

I don't get how you come to this conclusion? There are many good players who play at the top level as small as him. Ryan Fraser and Insigne are two to name. Both only 3cm taller. Angel could still grow a couple of inches, who knows?! Angel's game doesn't rely on pace and he's definitely no slouch anyway.
Ryan Fraser is 3cm taller but he's also built better. Insigne too.

Gomes has the body of a child. He'd struggle to have fun at Alton Towers cause they'd boot him off the rides for not being big enough.

If he was stood next to a ballboy or a mascot you'd struggle to tell which was which. It was bad enough for James earlier in the season.

He doesn't need to rely on pace but he needs to have something approaching that at this level and Gomes in every appearance has looked nothing like it. For all the hype you'd have thought he might've played a nice assist or had a promising run or something but instead he's just done a few simple passes, moved a bit (which I get seems impossibly impressive right now considering the state of our first team and their inability to pass and move) and then when he's tried to go more complicated he's lumped it out of play or given it away like tonight. Twice he tried to play Rashford in and those were the result.

Get him in the gym and bulk him massively otherwise the first big hard tackle he gets from a genuine top level player is going to end his career, he's an absolute waif.

How anyone thinks he's even within a year of being ready is quite remarkable.

Like I said, he could have all the talent in the world but at some point there has to be a cutoff and he's below that cutoff point. I bet there are kids smaller than him right now that are more talented, doesn't mean they could play at PL level does it?

Red_toad

Get him in the gym and bulk him massively otherwise the first big hard tackle he gets from a genuine top level player is going to end his career, he's an absolute waif.
Do you genuinely believe when he plays for the under 23's he's not playing against fully grow men, who don't bother tacking him?
He can take knocks and get back up, it's not the 60's or 70's anymore. He played against quite a few top level players in pre-season and took some hard hits.

His issues are currently he's too passive on the pitch, in the youth/under 23's he's the go to guy, he's picked out by his team mates constantly as a creative force. In the first team he needs to earn that appreciation from his team mates. At the moment he makes runs and doesn't get picked up and is very much playing within himself.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
The way he gets hyped up he's supposed to show....something...right?

Macheda, Welbeck, Gibson, Cleverley, etc - all utterly shit - showed more when they first started and they're nowhere near as talented as Gomes apparently is supposed to be.

It's because we're so bereft of quality in the #10 role and we're all desperately screaming to sign someone or play someone from the academy that can fit there so we never have to see Pereira, Mata or Lingard ever again but never in a million years is that person going to be Angel Gomes.
He's shown that his technique is above loads of our senior squad for first.

And your constant ranting about his physique is tiresome. He's a kid, he'll grow and out on more muscles. You're the kind of person that's willing to give up on Ronaldo just because he's scrawny and falls over every tackle and look how he turned out.

Go watch American Football, your obsession with size suits them.

ash_86

Just watched the his cameo. He played tidily linking up with others nicely. Looked a bit raw at times but technique and skill there definitely. We should be giving him more game time to see how he progresses.

Son

I saw absolutely zero reason how he will ever fit into Ole’s squad in big games during his cameo.

Apart from a few decent touches and the odd slick movement between the lines I just don’t see what he brings to our squad at present. Needs to be more direct and get involved in the game more if he wants to succeed here.

La Liga will suit him better for his development I feel. He will struggle to make any kind of impact for us.

Kostov

Play this kid instead of Lingard, Ole. What in the flying feck are we going to lose really? Absolutely moronic situation from the manager of Manchester United.

Bestietom

Gomes done more in 2 minutes than what Lingard has done in a year. He was the instigation of the goal Rashford scored by intercepting the ball and passing to Greenwood, who then passed to Rashford for our goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.