Angelo Henriquez

Ekeke

Great news. I've only seen youtube video of the boy but rave reviews follow him everywhere he goes.

One might wonder whether Fergie sees in Henriquez the successor to Nani. Yes, Henriquez is no touchline winger but he appears to be very effective coming in from wide positions.

We shall see.
What?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Ooo, excellent - that would be a superb loan deal. Di Santo is having a decent season but beyond him there's very little else up front - and they create lots of chances.

Any confirmation of that?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Great news. I've only seen youtube video of the boy but rave reviews follow him everywhere he goes.

One might wonder whether Fergie sees in Henriquez the successor to Nani. Yes, Henriquez is no touchline winger but he appears to be very effective coming in from wide positions.

We shall see.
Very very very much doubt that. He is a striker, pretty pure and simple from what I've seen of him.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Surprised to hear him linked with a loan move this early after arriving, but promising that he's being linked straight-away with a Premiership side.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Ooo, excellent - that would be a superb loan deal. Di Santo is having a decent season but beyond him there's very little else up front - and they create lots of chances.

Any confirmation of that?
Not yet... it just appeared in a chilean news website.

the move make total sense, i hope its true.

strike 1: cleverley
strike 2: bousejour
stike 3: Wigan manager speaks spanish...

Could be total bollocks... well see.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
http://thepeoplesperson.com/how-good-is-angelo-henriquez-an-expert-insight/

If you could compare him to any striker, who would you compare him to and why?

Hernandez has been a hit at United ever since making the move from Guadalajara. Photo: Getty Images

Javier Hernandez is perhaps the best comparison I could make and the Mexican international will likely be tasked with helping Henriquez settle in Manchester. Despite being perhaps more competent on the ball, more inclined to dribbled at opposing defenders, and capable of helping out from a wide position, Henriquez, like Chicharito, likes to play on the shoulder of the last defender and is all about finding the net.

##

None of these are my words, but what I've read about him is that he's very good at attacking defenders from wide positions. His game is not crossing the ball, if that's what you thought I meant. Which makes sense with where Fergie seems to be evolving his philosophy, given how predictable we've become with crossing in open play and the relative ease with which top clubs can defend such play. Whether Henriquez actually is as lethal as Nani used to be in taking on defenders on 1v1 situations remains to be seen, but expectations are very high.

With Van Persie and Hernandez running riot, what we don't need is another orthodox striker but a striker who can come in from wide positions, which Henriquez is alleged adept at. Early days, but if Henriquez is the next Thierry Henry I certainly would have no objections!

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
None of these are my words, but what I've read about him is that he's very good at attacking defenders from wide positions. His game is not crossing the ball, if that's what you thought I meant. Which makes sense with where Fergie seems to be evolving his philosophy, given how predictable we've become with crossing in open play and the relative ease with which top clubs can defend such play. Whether Henriquez actually is as lethal as Nani used to be in taking on defenders on 1v1 situations remains to be seen, but expectations are very high.

With Van Persie and Hernandez running riot, what we don't need is another orthodox striker but a striker who can come in from wide positions, which Henriquez is alleged adept at. Early days, but if Henriquez is the next Thierry Henry I certainly would have no objections!
TBH, what always struck me about him was that he was very much the sort of orthodox striker you are describing. Has the potential to be more complete than Chicharito, is as deadly a finisher, but doesn't have as much pace. All in all, I couldn't see where he fitted, but more than happy to see us get a gifted up-and-coming player.

I have not once seen him in anything but a very central role, in all of about 10 games, admittedly. Hopefully you are right and he can do that left role that Welbeck is certainly not making his own.

Ekeke

Ruud10, you should bold every other part of that paragraph.

Out of all United players he is being compared to Hernandez. Would you want him on the wing?

MUFC07

Coming from a wide position in a front-line of 3 is different than coming from a wide position from midfield, which is what our wingers regularly do.

This is where he played with Universidad de Chile:

Fernandes------Lorenzetti----------Henriquez
---------------------------------------------------
Mena-------------Aránguiz------------Rodríguez
---------------------Díaz----------------------------
Rojas---------------González----------González

La U's system was different from anything we could ever do simply because the Bielsan system doesn't suit English football (which is also the reason why English football is nowadays a step behind, but that's a different theme altogether).

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Ruud10, you should bold every other part of that paragraph.

Out of all United players he is being compared to Hernandez. Would you want him on the wing?
I would make a distinction between the words "wing" and "wide forward".

We all agree, based on what little we know so far, that Henriquez is no "winger". But what third party scouting reports do seem to agree on is that he's very effective, perhaps even brilliant, at taking on defenders 1v1 and getting through for the shot. Where does that usually take place? Not straight up the middle of the pitch, at least not very often. Or at least not in the modern game where defenses are packed, or perhaps parked!

So sure, if Henriquez can beat defenders on the dribble, the way Nani used to before whatever evil spirits befell him last season and have turned him into mush since, I would want him to come in from wide positions, destroy defenders and take the shot or deliver the killer final ball. We've been missing that piece since Ronaldo left us. Whether Henriquez is up to the challenge remains to be seen.

MUFC07

He's effective at taking Chilean league defenders from the wide, yes. South American defenders, arguably, he'd rather play a pass and move quickly.

I'm afraid he is no Nani or Ronaldo. You have to understand the system he played under with La U. He was part of a collective that had to keep the game flowing, and he excelled for his movement and intelligence rather than for his tricks or skills as a wide players. Those characteristics that you want him to have are not exactly there, he's not Alexis Sánchez. Allow me to quote myself:

He played in a frontline of 3. U de Chile played the Bielsista system, almost always 3-1-3-3 or 3-3-1-3 with a false 9 (Lorenzetti when Henriquez was there), sometimes 4-3-3 or 3-4-3, depending on the players available and the number of strikers the opposition had.

He started on the right, but that was tricky because he was constantly moving to and fro the frontline, sweeping with Junior Fernándes and even with Lorenzetti when he had already moved from picking the ball deep. He is perfectly able to take on his man, but he'd rather look for the pass when he is outside the box, he's got great control and knows how to find space similar to Hernández and he is lethal inside the box. That shouldn't be confused with how Chicharito works, they're not the same kind of player. It is like comparing Ruud to Ole.

Yeah, he is pacey, but not Hernández-quick. He is clinical inside the box, yes, but he is more than that. He's got good control and intelligent link-up play. I can't exactly compare him to Ruud and wouldn't dare to say yet that he is a new breed of player.
Yeah, he might be able to beat his man, but he's not going to do it permanently, we'd be wasting him on the wing because first of all he's not as good as he should be to play on the wing for United (because of his attributes), and secondly because we would benefit from his strengths if we play him centrally.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
He's effective at taking Chilean league defenders from the wide, yes. South American defenders, arguably, he'd rather play a pass and move quickly.

I'm afraid he is no Nani or Ronaldo. You have to understand the system he played under with La U. He was part of a collective that had to keep the game flowing, and he excelled for his movement and intelligence rather than for his tricks or skills as a wide players. Those characteristics that you want him to have are not exactly there, he's not Alexis Sánchez. Allow me to quote myself:

Yeah, he might be able to beat his man, but he's not going to do it permanently, we'd be wasting him on the wing because first of all he's not as good as he should be to play on the wing for United (because of his attributes), and secondly because we would benefit from his strengths if we play him centrally.
Understood.

So, with a first team which has on display RvP, Hernandez, Rooney and Cleverley, where does a player like Henriquez fit in? He sounds like a potential sub for Hernandez,who himself is a super-sub. Nothing wrong with that, unless your name is Danny Welbeck!

MUFC07

Understood.

So, with a first team which has on display RvP, Hernandez, Rooney and Cleverley, where does a player like Henriquez fit in? He sounds like a potential sub for Hernandez,who himself is a super-sub. Nothing wrong with that, unless your name is Danny Welbeck!
Well, he's 18, when he's 21-22 how old will RvP and Rooney be? Rooney will probably be playing as attacking midfielder and out four options up front will be Welbeck, RvP, Hernández and Henríquez, I believe. I have high hopes for Henríquez, too, I really do.

jb8521

He seems to be training full time with the senior team probably in preparation for a loan deal. He and Sam Johnstone were the only reserve players with the first team players at Sir Alex statue unveiling

antohan

Let's all agree he is an upgrade on Macheda and could evolve into a handy option in a set of four strikers. But let's not expect too much from the lad nor turn him into a wide forward yet. Very much looking forward to see him at Wigan, it would be the right sort of team for him.

antohan

Coming from a wide position in a front-line of 3 is different than coming from a wide position from midfield, which is what our wingers regularly do.

Which will look like a line-hugging wide forward to those who want one, when in fact it's more like an inside right that swaps with the central player as and when their movement dictates it.

Joemo

whistling in the wind

Mena-------------Aránguiz------------Rodríguez
---------------------Díaz----------------------------
Rojas---------------González----------González
This is is quite similar to how Wigan play isn't it?

Beausejour--------Kone-------------Di Santo
Gomez-------------McCarthey---------Maloney
--------------------McArthur------------------
Figeuroa--------------Caldwell-----------Boyce

From what I've seen of Wigan this season, it looks like Di Santo and Kone are interchangable and drift into each other's positions, whilst Beausejour is predominantly a left winger.

@MUFC07
Who would Henriquez displace if he were to join them? Do you think he is good enough to replace Kone, who has looked quite a good goalscorer and was brought in during the summer? Or would he take up Di Santo's place as a wide forward?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
On my phone at the moment so maybe for some reason good links on google aren't showing me - but is there any good sources saying that Henriquez > Wigan?

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
It's good news, this. It sounds harsh but at the moment I feel like we need our youngsters to be in the reserves for as little time as possible. There was a better standard of football on display last night but it's not been the ideal platform for youngsters to express themselves in recent months.

Ekeke

Each game I saw him he was central striker without much involvement till around the 18 yard box.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Each game I saw him he was central striker without much involvement till around the 18 yard box.
Still doesn't mean he isn't capable of playing as a wide forward Ekeke. Players are more adaptable these days for sure. There is very little chance for someone who can only fulfil one type of role. This is why we see Hernandez coming off the bench more often than starting in my view, he is not as adaptable as say Welbeck or Rooney.

So he may only be fufilling one role whenever you have seen him so far, but the suggested ability to adapt within different roles across the front would be a positive, and would surely increase his chances of getting in the first team.

Brightonian

It's good news, this. It sounds harsh but at the moment I feel like we need our youngsters to be in the reserves for as little time as possible. There was a better standard of football on display last night but it's not been the ideal platform for youngsters to express themselves in recent months.
Agreed. It's all a bit problematic in there at the moment, for a variety of reasons. Also (slate me if you must), I feel like the quantity of talent we're producing/buying at the moment is making Joyce look a little archaic in his approach. When we were getting a couple of good players through per generation, and the reserves leagues were still very rough-and-tumble, his pragmatic, mixed-style approach worked very well. But you can get away with playing nicer football in the U21s these days, and we have more quality players coming through each year. It feels like he's undoing a lot of the good work that McGuinness does with his pass-and-move style, which is much closer to the sort of football the senior team plays.

Brophs

The One and Only
Would he get many games there ahead of Di Santo (who is much improved) and Kone?

Ekeke

Still doesn't mean he isn't capable of playing as a wide forward Ekeke. Players are more adaptable these days for sure. There is very little chance for someone who can only fulfil one type of role. This is why we see Hernandez coming off the bench more often than starting in my view, he is not as adaptable as say Welbeck or Rooney.

So he may only be fufilling one role whenever you have seen him so far, but the suggested ability to adapt within different roles across the front would be a positive, and would surely increase his chances of getting in the first team.
I'm not saying he cant be picked out wide now and again, but the idea that he's going to be the new Nani is ridiculous. I guarantee his best position will be as a striker and that'll be where he gets most of his game time. Just like we wouldnt use Higuain wide even though he's played there before. But he's the player Henriquez reminded me most of.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
akash02 from the newbies PM'd me to correct me on my earlier post:

Wigan's normal lineup (when everyone is fit) is -

Al Habsi

Caldwell Ramis Figueroa

Boyce-----------------------------------Beausejour

McCarthy McCarthur

Maloney

Di Santo Kone​

Boyce and Beausejour play as Wing Backs while up top all 3 of Maloney, Di Santo and Kone are quite interchangeable. One point is Kone is due to go to the African Cup of Nations and Martinez blatantly does not trust Boselli so that could be Henriquez's chance.
He raises a good point that Kone will be in the ACON which will leave a big hole in their side, and it's certainly something that Martinez will need to address. Henriquez has already had 18 months of first team football, and at this age any Premiership experience will do him nothing but good. It's probably from the age of 19-21 that his loan spells need to be successful, or risk going down the Macheda route.

Brophs

The One and Only
Would he get many games there ahead of Di Santo (who is much improved) and Kone?
A fair point made by a newb.

akash02 said:
Kone is supposed to go to the African Cup of nations and Martinez blatantly does not trust Boselli so that could be his opening.

Platato

Psst!
If Henriquez is going to Wigan then I'm sure he will benefit from working with Martinez. One thing I like about Martinez is that he usually makes full use of his squad. When Cleverley was there, he got a fair amount of games even though he didn't play in his favored position. The same might happen to Henriquez but the idea at this stage of their development is experience. Experience in the PL as a young loanee is invaluable. It's done wonders for Evans, Welbeck and Cleverley.

MUFC07

This is is quite similar to how Wigan play isn't it?

Beausejour--------Kone-------------Di Santo
Gomez-------------McCarthey---------Maloney
--------------------McArthur------------------
Figeuroa--------------Caldwell-----------Boyce

From what I've seen of Wigan this season, it looks like Di Santo and Kone are interchangable and drift into each other's positions, whilst Beausejour is predominantly a left winger.

@MUFC07
Who would Henriquez displace if he were to join them? Do you think he is good enough to replace Kone, who has looked quite a good goalscorer and was brought in during the summer? Or would he take up Di Santo's place as a wide forward?
I've seen Wigan use that formation more than once this season, actually against both Merseyside clubs (I think). Yeah, it's very close in terms of shape that formation, but Wigan's is more like a 3-4-3 and somewhat the application is a bit different, for it's English football (in which the Bielsan approach doesn't quite fit).

You are right, though, the front-line of three is actually the closest to what La U were doing, interchanging their players (actually Beausejour is playing a similar role to what he did in some games with Bielsa in Chile), but Henríquez would fit perfectly in either Di Santo's or Kone's place, I wouldn't dare say Beausejour's, because he tracks back and very often starts deeper.

If we think about that specific formation, actually Henríquez could move someone else and Beausejour, perfectly able to play that left midfielder role (did it too with Chile), and we could se Henríquez, Koné and Di Santo upfront. Wigan looks like the best choice for him to start getting some games against English opposition.

You pointed out how Wigan regularly play, and I dare to say, if Wigan would rather play that, Henríquez he could actually make Di Santo's life very difficult if given a proper chance.

jb8521

"Meanwhile, United new boy Angelo Henriquez is in limbo after a disastrous start to his career in English football.

The 18-year-old Chilean striker, who joined in the summer, was even left on the bench in the reserves recently.

United want to loan Henriquez out for first-team action, and Wigan have shown an interest."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfers-kurt-zouma-1460311

This pointless and completely wrong piece of journalism was in todays Mirror. The press really do love taking shots at United but you would think they would at least do a bit of research if they are going to do so

Decotron

"Meanwhile, United new boy Angelo Henriquez is in limbo after a disastrous start to his career in English football.

The 18-year-old Chilean striker, who joined in the summer, was even left on the bench in the reserves recently.

United want to loan Henriquez out for first-team action, and Wigan have shown an interest."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfers-kurt-zouma-1460311

This pointless and completely wrong piece of journalism was in todays Mirror. The press really do love taking shots at United but you would think they would at least do a bit of research if they are going to do so
shocking really...lazy bastards.

Drainy

Found it amusing that Martin Lipton was having a go at a Eurosport guy on twitter for 'sloppy journalism' the day after The Mirror published that crap.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
fecking Mirror - some of the worst offenders in the shameful level of crap that is the British tabloid media.

mo0

Understood.

Will Keane? :rolleyes:

KanieKaned

Comic, seeing as he's possibly going on loan to Wigan I'd say its more a case of being benched to make sure he's fresh and also allow someone else some game time in the reserves. If they are needing a goal with 20 minutes on the clock you can still give him a run out without too much danger.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfers-angelo-henriquez-1497632

Angelo delight? Man United asked to lend striker Henriquez to Prem strugglers

19 Dec 2012 22:30
Wigan face losing Arouna Kone to Africa Cup of Nations duty next month and are negotiating with the neighbours to borrow Chilean Henriquez

That's my boy: United boss Alex Ferguson watches Henriquez put pen to paper in August
Matthew Peters
Wigan boss Roberto Martinez is in talks with Manchester United about signing Chilean striker Angelo Henriquez in an emergency loan deal.

Martinez wants the teenage forward - signed by Sir Alex Ferguson in the summer window - and would like him on board immediately as cover for Arouna Kone.

The Latics chief will lose Ivory Coast international Kone on Africa Cup of Nations duty soon, leaving his relegation-zone scrappers short of options up front.

Henriquez has only played in United’s U21s so far but is in the full Chile side and could be a quality alternative for Wigan in the second half of the campaign.

However, Henriquez has international duty of his own coming up - he is due to play in the South American Under-20 finals next month.

Wigan and United need Henriquez to pull out of that squad to make the loan deal happen and want an answer in the next couple of weeks.